365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Boston - Short and Sweet

+8
KBFitz
mountandog
Jerry
jon c
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
12 posters

Go down

My Boston - Short and Sweet Empty My Boston - Short and Sweet

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Well Boston is my hometown course and Monday it got the best of me. It's just that simple.  I hoped to run around 3:20 but the wheels fell off and ended up 3:36:56. First time in a goal race that's happened. I'm totally dumbfounded as to why. 

Training went great. I've run sort of similiar courses in the past so nothing I haven't experienced before. Heat was a factor but nowhere near that extent.  Sadly I was disgusted by my performance and didn't totally appreciate while in the moment.

I knew early I couldn't sustain the pace but kept pushing. Then the downhill before 16 finished me off and I just bled time the rest of the way until I was barely running. Crossed the line and my legs felt like they were on fire. Didn't feel joy for completing a dream, I was just too p'd off. I wasn't going to run this again but no way am I going to hang my hometown hat on that performance.  I'm probably going to run Buffalo to get another BQ and do this again.

Anyway, got to meet a bunch from here Saturday and that was great to finally meet people in person.  Hope to see you again.

Thanks for reading.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

My Boston - Short and Sweet Empty Re: My Boston - Short and Sweet

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Alex, of my three Boston's that downhill at 15 1/2 has been the death of me two times. Even though I didn't run fast on Monday, that hill finally did not beat me. Do you think that perhaps you didn't train for the downhills sufficiently? On the other hand, you know this course well enough to train for it, so who knows what went wrong. I'm sorry you ended up having such a tough day.
I'm glad to see that you'll plan on getting the BQ back. In the end, this was one bad day. You'll put it behind you.
It was great meeting you on Saturday!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Sorry that it didn't go as planned, but sometimes it just isn't our day.  I could tell you how many times I've been there including many a Boston (why do you think this was my fastest time since 2001).  Seemed like it wasn't the perfect day for many - maybe too much hype?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Yep, we've all marathons that weren't our day. So many things have to come together. I can't explain why my PR was my PR or my PW  (is that  correct) was either...just sometimes we do well and sometimes we don't no matter how we train.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:41 am

I've run Boston six times now, and it took until the fourth time for me to have a race where it all fell together.  So keep plugging away.  The more chances you get, the more chances there will be for you to have a race that you'll be happy with.

Honestly though, looking back now, I don't regret any of my Boston experiences and I bet given time and perspective, neither will you.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:15 am

Alex, part of the game. If you don't know the reason, just write it off. Go get your BQ and I may see you next year!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:31 am

hang in there.  was a tough day.  easy to go out too fast as the impact of the weather was kind of insidious.  Nice to meet you.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:21 am

Boston is seductively difficult. The first time I ran it easy. The second time hard, but finished within seconds of the first. It takes experience and patience to nail it. I haven't done so yet. I'm sure you will.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Sorry to hear that it wasn't your day....next time?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:33 am

Seth Harrison wrote:Alex, of my three Boston's that downhill at 15 1/2 has been the death of me two times. Even though I didn't run fast on Monday, that hill finally did not beat me. Do you think that perhaps you didn't train for the downhills sufficiently? On the other hand, you know this course well enough to train for it, so who knows what went wrong. I'm sorry you ended up having such a tough day.
 Thanks Seth. I think I didn't back off on the harder downhill running soon enough and that maybe my legs just weren't fully recovered. Who knows though. Great meeting you.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry that it didn't go as planned, but sometimes it just isn't our day.  I could tell you how many times I've been there including many a Boston (why do you think this was my fastest time since 2001).  Seemed like it wasn't the perfect day for many - maybe too much hype?
 Thanks Michele. I'm finally resigning to the fact that it just wasn't there that day.
Julie wrote:Yep, we've all marathons that weren't our day. So many things have to come together. I can't explain why my PR was my PR or my PW  (is that  correct) was either...just sometimes we do well and sometimes we don't no matter how we train.
 Thanks Julie. I couldn't explain my PR and can't really explain what happened. Mentally I'm moving on.
jon c wrote:I've run Boston six times now, and it took until the fourth time for me to have a race where it all fell together.  So keep plugging away.  The more chances you get, the more chances there will be for you to have a race that you'll be happy with.

Honestly though, looking back now, I don't regret any of my Boston experiences and I bet given time and perspective, neither will you.
 Thanks Jon. I definitely want to get back out there.
Jerry wrote:Alex, part of the game. If you don't know the reason, just write it off. Go get your BQ and I may see you next year!
 Thanks Jerry. I'm writing it off. Moving on. Hopefully I'll be back next year.
mountandog wrote:hang in there.  was a tough day.  easy to go out too fast as the impact of the weather was kind of insidious.  Nice to meet you.
 Thanks Michael. Yep tough day. Time to move forward. Nice meeting you.
KBFitz wrote:Boston is seductively difficult. The first time I ran it easy. The second time hard, but finished within seconds of the first. It takes experience and patience to nail it. I haven't done so yet. I'm sure you will.
 Thanks Kevin. You're right it's a tough course and it just wasn't my day. I'll keep trying.
nkrichards wrote:Sorry to hear that it wasn't your day....next time?
Thanks Nancy. Hopefully next time it will be.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Ok, Alex, please revel in the fact that most of the people that I have talked to that ran Boston last week missed their goal time significantly.  I do think it was the heat and I guess since I had success in 2012 in the heat and I had more to go for than many with the non-finish, that I got it out of my mind.  See you in Buffalo.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:31 pm

My sentiments exactly. My misery started at 19. You beat me. I don't know how to explain it, but there seemed to be some lingering demons out there on the course. You at least finished in a fairly respectable time, you'll get a decent time laid down eventually, it's a tough course! Congrats
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:07 pm

First time most anyone races Boston, it wins.  Beat me badly the second time too.   Running it easy (my 3rd) works but let's both figure out how to really race it in future editions.  You are too good a runner and your training too solid not to be able to conquer it with something in the 7:30 range or better in the future.  Go get that BQ and load up again!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri May 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Sorry it didn't go as planned.  That course has beaten down many great runners.  Nothing wrong with being pissed off and motivated for next year...
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down