365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Boston Bandits

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boston Bandits

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:37 pm

This takes it to another level completely.

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/runner-says-4-others-bandited-with-her-number-at-boston?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-BostonBandits
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston Bandits

Post  JohnP on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:00 pm

That really does. I wonder if the fake bibs had a chip on the back the way the official one does. Given the quality of color copiers, I have to believe it's very easy to copy these and even use Photoshop to use different numbers.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:52 pm

If you look at the photos there, one of the singlets says Big River Running.  That's a local running store/group here in St. Louis and I actually saw a Facebook post from them today that said they don't condone banditting and that they have no idea who the woman is that was wearing their singlet.  Definitely an odd happening, but I guess I'm not surprised with the way they were cracking down on it this year.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Wow, that is crazy.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Seems there are more stories on this now, and at least one other person this happened to. I looked on Craigslist - there were at least three requests to either sell or buy bibs for this race. When clicked on, then each listing had expired.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:57 pm

No chips just perfect copies. And they took medals, blankets, etc.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Wow, I wasn't expecting that.
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm

I don't know about you I just want to 
 lol!
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:14 am

Another woman outed this morning who was wearing a copied number as well.  Pictures show her with the medal.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:28 am

Even though I use StubHub and other ticket reselling, I always worry I'll be getting a copy of a ticket and someone else will show up with the same ticket. It's just too common to have great color copiers/printers everywhere that can be used to do things like this including reproducing a race bib. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens at other hard to get into marathons such as NYC or London.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 am

From the pictures you can tell that the bibs are made on a different kind of paper. The real bibs get wrinkly, but the copies look pristine.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:38 am

Solve the problem by allowing transfers.  It's easy with technology and payment systems now.  Charge a fee and either reduce ours or give more to charity.  This is an archaic practice.  With Boston qual times it makes it a bit more problimatical but certainly not impossible.  Do it right and you get rid of all this nonsense.
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:21 pm

mountandog wrote:Solve the problem by allowing transfers.  It's easy with technology and payment systems now.  Charge a fee and either reduce ours or give more to charity.  This is an archaic practice.  With Boston qual times it makes it a bit more problimatical but certainly not impossible.  Do it right and you get rid of all this nonsense.

This works in a lot of cases, but in some, particularly Chicago, they bank on the fact that only a certain % of those who register will actually make it to the line and that keeps them from raising the entry to fees to an even more ridiculous price than it already is.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:37 am

Seems to me that this would be pretty easy to solve - no admission to corrals without walking over a timing mat and registering a chip when you cross it. At least until they figure out how to counterfeit the chip, too! I think during the MCM registration/expo process, we actually did that (but not on race day). Of course, people could hop a barrier after the start and bandit that way. I don't think that workaround can be stopped on a course as long as the marathon.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:23 am

1st world problem.

Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:24 am

Mr MattM wrote:1st world problem.

Yep, as are a lot of other things.....
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:14 am

Wow...that's taking it to the extreme...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 am

And there's more:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boston-marathon-bandits-ran-with-false-bib-numbers/

Plebeians. That's not the way to bandit Boston folks. What were they thinking? Veterans know that bandits wear flannel shirts, long pants, no bib and they don't enter the corrals.

I expect the BAA and/or the media will report in the coming weeks just how many runners ran with duplicate bibs this year. My guess? ... 80 - 120. The things people will do!
KBFitz
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:49 pm

mul21 wrote:
mountandog wrote:Solve the problem by allowing transfers.  It's easy with technology and payment systems now.  Charge a fee and either reduce ours or give more to charity.  This is an archaic practice.  With Boston qual times it makes it a bit more problimatical but certainly not impossible.  Do it right and you get rid of all this nonsense.

This works in a lot of cases, but in some, particularly Chicago, they bank on the fact that only a certain % of those who register will actually make it to the line and that keeps them from raising the entry to fees to an even more ridiculous price than it already is.  
Jim, I see what you are trying to get at but doesn't make sense to me.  If that was the case the price of the race would still be 90 dollars or in the low 100s. Entry fees have gone up for the reason of paying the elite runners especially in the race that are part of the world majors. They are not going hey we are banking on 'x" number to not show up to the race so we make more money. They already have to have support, road closures, water and etc etc on hand for whole field size. 

Michael makes perfect sense to me and lots of big races already do it. Plus by having this type of system the marathon could actually benefit by making more money by having the person that wants to transfer their bib pay a fee along with the person who is purchasing. BINGO MORE MONEY MADE BY THE MARATHON AND STILL THE SAME FEILD SIZE!!!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Patrolling bib transfers would be a pain at Boston since there are qualifying standards.  It could be done sure but could also be a real hassle. And I think the bib stealers here were all non-qualifiers.    The wife of the FourSquare CEO ran the Nike 13.1 this morning. Entry is only by lottery unless you are Shalane, Joanie or near elite.  Wonder if she got in through the lottery like the rest of us or bought a bib (no transfers are allowed since it is a lottery).

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:52 pm

I can't believe she'd buy another bib after being in the spotlight for Boston though you never know.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 am

Banditing a race is one thing, but taking medals, food, fluids is another matter. How about paying for it next time instead of mooching off others.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Patrolling bib transfers would be a pain at Boston since there are qualifying standards.  It could be done sure but could also be a real hassle. And I think the bib stealers here were all non-qualifiers.    The wife of the FourSquare CEO ran the Nike 13.1 this morning. Entry is only by lottery unless you are Shalane, Joanie or near elite.  Winder if she got in through the lottery like the rest of us or bought a bib (no transfers are allowed since it is a lottery).

The BAA could create a wait list of the next 1000 - 2000 qualifiers based on time and the same standards they already use and vette them at the beginning of the process.  They probably do that already and as people send their bibs back in due to injury or whatever they go down the list and invite the next one for the same entry fee.  BAA gets two entry fees and there is no problem at that point in validating qualifying times.  Then all those that miss out by 1 or 2 seconds get a chance to run.  Piece of cake.  Win-win.
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:19 am

Not quite the same issue, but the unofficial winner of the Illinois Half Marathon this weekend was wearing a friend's bib.  The friend signed up but got injured so he gave the bib to his friend who ended up winning, and then not winning when race officials learned is true identity.  You would think if you had a chance to win you would register under your own name.
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Jeff F wrote:Not quite the same issue, but the unofficial winner of the Illinois Half Marathon this weekend was wearing a friend's bib.  The friend signed up but got injured so he gave the bib to his friend who ended up winning, and then not winning when race officials learned is true identity.  You would think if you had a chance to win you would register under your own name.

This happened at a Marine Corps race in DC about a month ago.  You would think that a runner that fast would realize that would be an issue.

And by the way, the wife of the Foursquare CEO ran a 1:39 half yesterday, so as a pretty fast runner, you would think she would have known better for Boston.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top