365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to increase cardio stamina

5 posters

Go down

How to increase cardio stamina Empty How to increase cardio stamina

Post  carleenp Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 pm

It used to be that my legs would give out in longer distance races before my cardio system would. So, if I slowed, it was more likely due to overall pain than due to my heart rate creeping up too high and running out of steam.

Now, after a year with a lot of speed work, especially interval type training, I find that it is my cardio system giving out first. For example, I ran a half yesterday where I was totally beat cardio-wise at the end, but my legs were fine and I don't feel today like they did anything more than run a sort of upbeat workout.

My overall endurance for slow paces is good and I can run my slow run pace seemingly forever with no issues. For example, I did a 20 mile run with no fuel last weekend and didn't feel particularity tired from it all. I even ran the last mile  or two above marathon pace to see if I could. But long races are wearing me out quicker than I think they should. It is kind of like my leg speed is ahead of my respiratory speed if that makes any sense. That also means it is even easier than ever for me to go too fast for what my system can ultimately handle.  I figure overall it is an issue of lack of overall stamina. 

With that in mind, what kind of workouts will best to address this? More pace runs? tempo runs? I'm working on my fall training plan and am not sure what to focus on to best increase my half and marathon times. I figured maybe people here would have some ideas!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

How to increase cardio stamina Empty Re: How to increase cardio stamina

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm certainly no expert, but I would lean towards more tempo runs and longer interval speed work. (1200-3000m repeats).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I'm certainly no expert, but I would lean towards more tempo runs and longer interval speed work. (1200-3000m repeats).
That is kind of what I am thinking too. I have done a fair amount of longer intervals, but not many tempo runs. I took a look at some of McMillan's stamina workouts and he seems to do a fair amount of tempo runs and longer tempo intervals.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm

What Michele said.  I think longer tempo runs were the biggest reason for my marathon PR.  I worked up to a 10 mile run with 6 @ tempo and eventually started following those up with a mid week long run the next day (10-14 miles).
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:32 am

mul21 wrote:What Michele said.  I think longer tempo runs were the biggest reason for my marathon PR.  I worked up to a 10 mile run with 6 @ tempo and eventually started following those up with a mid week long run the next day (10-14 miles).

MP - Tempo

My personal preference is go long on the road, and learn to relax while holding the intensity. I don't particularly like intervals as the form to train LT. More specifically, I would rather tempo 4 miles than 3x2miles interval at the same pace. I am not arguing which is more effective in LT training, cause I don't know. I just feel holding the pace longer continuously offers a longer body learning window to relax, then possibly improve running economy.

Another downside of intervals for LT is we tend to run too fast. With continuous run format, when we can not hold the pace, we can slow down a little bit and try to hold it there. It's more like Hal's tempo format, which I love.

I recognize my theory may be not true to veterans, and I may switch to intervals for LT myself in the future. Then I feel to me, two intervals, though for different purposes, seem to be boring, taking left turns again and again.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  pigoo Mon May 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Tempo runs in the 30-40 minute range.

- Nick
pigoo
pigoo

Back to top Go down