365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Jack_Scaff on Mon May 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Hello my long lost 365 runner friends. All is well here in nor-Cal, except for my waistline. Running has become more of a hobby than anything else, as my work and sleep needs took precedence over  12 mile 5 AM runs. Alas, I miss it, but still get in 4 mile slogs several times a week. 

I did, however, run the SF RnR Half not too long ago, 2 days after a 9 night trip in Spain with 7 beer guzzling soccer dads, which came on the tails of a wine-induced 4 day fog in New Orleans with some friends. I guess some things never change.

Which leads well to this story...

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/05/05/bay-area-man-breaks-world-record-in-beer-mile/

Run well, my friends.
avatar
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Posts : 314
Points : 2797
Join date : 2011-07-21
Age : 49
Location : Nor Cal

View user profile http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Dave Bussard on Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Saw that video last week. That is amazing...I think he was running 65-67 second quarters and pounding a beer in 7-9 seconds!!!

Pretty sure I couldn't drink 4 beers in 4:57, without running a mile...
avatar
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Posts : 179
Points : 2671
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Northern IN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Nick Morris on Tue May 06, 2014 12:27 pm

I still think this is a world record that Dave-O should try to obtain Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11931
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  mountandog on Tue May 06, 2014 7:58 pm

I am so going to do this with my family this summer!!  It will hurt but only for 10 minutes.   Wonder what the record is for us old guys.  I would think sub 7:00 for me would be a stretch target.  Gotta practice that guzzling.  Haven't done that in 30 years.
avatar
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1392
Points : 5543
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 61
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Dave Bussard on Tue May 06, 2014 9:53 pm

@mountandog wrote:I am so going to do this with my family this summer!!  It will hurt but only for 10 minutes.   Wonder what the record is for us old guys.  I would think sub 7:00 for me would be a stretch target.  Gotta practice that guzzling.  Haven't done that in 30 years.

Here's a video of some Club Northwest guys running a beermile. Tony Young won in 7:13. Tony has the AR in the 40-44 mile of 4:07, and the 45-49 of 4:16.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-hfBCV/

World Record in the 50+ AG is 6:57   http://www.beermile.com/records/ref_age/ages_50/agee_99
avatar
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Posts : 179
Points : 2671
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Northern IN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Jerry on Wed May 07, 2014 7:10 am

@Dave Bussard wrote:Saw that video last week. That is amazing...I think he was running 65-67 second quarters and pounding a beer in 7-9 seconds!!!

Pretty sure I couldn't drink 4 beers in 4:57, without running a mile...

Got to be easier to improve the beer drinking than mile time lol!
avatar
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2708
Points : 1004188
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  mountandog on Thu May 08, 2014 11:36 am

@Dave Bussard wrote:
@mountandog wrote:I am so going to do this with my family this summer!!  It will hurt but only for 10 minutes.   Wonder what the record is for us old guys.  I would think sub 7:00 for me would be a stretch target.  Gotta practice that guzzling.  Haven't done that in 30 years.

Here's a video of some Club Northwest guys running a beermile. Tony Young won in 7:13. Tony has the AR in the 40-44 mile of 4:07, and the 45-49 of 4:16.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-hfBCV/

World Record in the 50+ AG is 6:57   http://www.beermile.com/records/ref_age/ages_50/agee_99

6:57 eh?  Then my 7:00 is probably too aggressive.  I was thinking 90 sec quarters and 15 second beers.  But apparently that's a lot harder to do than it appears.  Must be interesting to train for this.
avatar
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1392
Points : 5543
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 61
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  mul21 on Thu May 08, 2014 12:38 pm

I think it really all depends on how fast you can get the beers down and what constitutes "finishing" the beer. If you just hammer it and it gets all foamy but there's no free liquid left, you can probably get away with drinking less than the full beer each time around. Also, do you start drinking the beer or with a 400? That would make a big difference.
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4603
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Nick Morris on Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 pm

@mul21 wrote:I think it really all depends on how fast you can get the beers down and what constitutes "finishing" the beer.  If you just hammer it and it gets all foamy but there's no free liquid left, you can probably get away with drinking less than the full beer each time around.  Also, do you start drinking the beer or with a 400?  That would make a big difference.

I think it would be harder to get down if you had to down the foam.

Also, it is drink a beer, run a 400, drink, run, repeat.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11931
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  dot520 on Fri May 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Doing the dress rehearsals has to be tough. How many 'do overs' can you do in a day? I think a small group of you ought to try it this summer and post your results here. I'm happy to just come back here and post comments...not a beer drinker.
avatar
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Posts : 780
Points : 3600
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Indy-sporting the cape of awesomeness

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Tim C on Fri May 09, 2014 9:35 pm

I AM a beer drinker, and that just doesn't look like fun.  Do-overs… funny...
avatar
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Posts : 564
Points : 3679
Join date : 2011-07-06
Age : 61
Location : Orange County, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Nick Morris on Sat May 10, 2014 1:07 pm

@Tim C wrote:I AM a beer drinker, and that just doesn't look like fun.  Do-overs… funny...

 lol! 
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11931
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Gobbles on Wed May 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Did a Beer Mile Last Week.
It was at a brewery, so no track, but was measured accurately, and was out .25 then back .25 two times.

The drinking is the toughest part until the last .25... and trying not to puke for the next 5 minutes.

It was chip timed too. http://www.zuluracing.com/results/MondayNightMile1MILEOverall2014.html

6:28 - So not too bad.

My drink splits improved from 20 seconds for the first, down to about 8 seconds for the last one.

 Shots  Running  Shots  Running  Shots  Running  Shots  Running  =  drunken
avatar
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Posts : 335
Points : 2946
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : Outside the Perimeter - Atlanta, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  mountandog on Wed May 28, 2014 3:56 pm

@Gobbles wrote:Did a Beer Mile Last Week.
It was at a brewery, so no track, but was measured accurately, and was out .25 then back .25 two times.

The drinking is the toughest part until the last .25... and trying not to puke for the next 5 minutes.

It was chip timed too. http://www.zuluracing.com/results/MondayNightMile1MILEOverall2014.html

6:28 - So not too bad.

My drink splits improved from 20 seconds for the first, down to about 8 seconds for the last one.

 Shots  Running  Shots  Running  Shots  Running  Shots  Running  =  drunken

so - how much slower than a regular mile?
avatar
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1392
Points : 5543
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 61
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Nick Morris on Wed May 28, 2014 3:58 pm

@mountandog wrote:
@Gobbles wrote:Did a Beer Mile Last Week.
It was at a brewery, so no track, but was measured accurately, and was out .25 then back .25 two times.

The drinking is the toughest part until the last .25... and trying not to puke for the next 5 minutes.

It was chip timed too. http://www.zuluracing.com/results/MondayNightMile1MILEOverall2014.html

6:28 - So not too bad.

My drink splits improved from 20 seconds for the first, down to about 8 seconds for the last one.

 Shots  Running  Shots  Running  Shots  Running  Shots  Running  =  drunken

so - how much slower than a regular mile?


A lot...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11931
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Gobbles on Thu May 29, 2014 9:46 am

Slower, a fair bit.

At least a minute for me; probably closer to 1:30 +/-.
avatar
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Posts : 335
Points : 2946
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : Outside the Perimeter - Atlanta, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bay Area man breaks world record in Beer Mile

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum