365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career

+13
charles.moman
Tom H
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
carleenp
Dave Bussard
Julie
dot520
jon c
17 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 5 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  charles.moman Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:27 am

Tapering this week for my first regular race since the accident. On Saturday, I will be at Vienna, Illinois at the Tunnel Hill 50/100 Trail Race going for 50 miles. That day will be 238 days or almost 8 months since 5 pelvic fractures, 4 rib fractures, neck fracture and internal bleeding . . . and a helicopter ride to Indy Methodist IU Health Methodist Hospital Orthopedic Trauma Service. I plan on running as much as possible with running friend, Sherri Ferguson DeCoursey at this event. Sherri ran with Bob Siscoe, Ben Benjamin, Mary Walker, Chris Walker and myself the day of the accident. Bob and I ran together the whole 32.5 miles, finishing around 11 PM, I think. I, again, would like to thank all the people who have encouraged and prayed for me since the wreck. The weather will be great - I like cold running - and I hope to really surprise myself. And most of all, I thank God for His grace and allowing me to continue on continuing. Let's do this.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 5 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  mountandog Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:13 am

charles.moman wrote:Tapering this week for my first regular race since the accident. On Saturday, I will be at Vienna, Illinois at the Tunnel Hill 50/100 Trail Race going for 50 miles. That day will be 238 days or almost 8 months since 5 pelvic fractures, 4 rib fractures, neck fracture and internal bleeding . . . and a helicopter ride to Indy Methodist IU Health Methodist Hospital Orthopedic Trauma Service. I plan on running as much as possible with running friend, Sherri Ferguson DeCoursey at this event. Sherri ran with Bob Siscoe, Ben Benjamin, Mary Walker, Chris Walker and myself the day of the accident. Bob and I ran together the whole 32.5 miles, finishing around 11 PM, I think. I, again, would like to thank all the people who have encouraged and prayed for me since the wreck. The weather will be great - I like cold running - and I hope to really surprise myself. And most of all, I thank God for His grace and allowing me to continue on continuing. Let's do this.
Go get 'em Charles!!  Ride
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:24 am

Good luck, Charles!  I believe it will be very cold, so make sure you are ready for that as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:45 pm

I got really gold cold gear - especially my Sporthill clothes. They are windproof and the top - by itself - is good in single digits.
I know because I wore it last year - one layer - in low teens - and it was plenty warm. 
But I will have other layers too on Saturday. My running partner and I hope to be done round 13 hours or so.
I think that is very doable without killing ourselves. Sherri is a fellow turtle.
I also got some hand and feet warmers to throw in my running vest - just to be safe.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Good luck, Charles!   Seems like you'll have 'cold' in spades on Saturday. Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:43 pm

charles.moman wrote:I got really gold cold gear - especially my Sporthill clothes. They are windproof and the top - by itself - is good in single digits.
I know because I wore it last year - one layer - in low teens - and it was plenty warm. 
But I will have other layers too on Saturday. My running partner and I hope to be done round 13 hours or so.
I think that is very doable without killing ourselves. Sherri is a fellow turtle.
I also got some hand and feet warmers to throw in my running vest - just to be safe.
Yikes - that sounds like a challenging day to say the least.  I'm guessing there will be some good hot soup at the end of the race.  Have a great race.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:39 pm

My recap of the Tunnel Hill 50/100.
The winner was Traci Falbo who did the 100 miles in a staggering - are you ready - 14:45:25!

And a few short videos out on the trail.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:36 am

Not much to report. My mileage is starting to build up finally - I have dome more miles at a times lately, but they were all walking - not now.
This week it will be a little over 30 miles - got 14 miles yesterday.
My weekly long runs bump up to 16 next week and then 18 after that for a few weeks.
I am finding that I am able to move up my normal "cruising" speed, which I need to do for the IT 100.
And, yes, I recently signed up for the 100-miler, but I am not broadly announcing it.
My running buddy, Bob Siscoe will be my pacer/safety runner starting at mile 50.
I will be training hard - not too hard - until April and I really want to reach that goal.
I know that my core has never been better and I am still doing 5 hours or so a day of PT.
It will be very tough, but I intend on finishing the race.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:19 pm

charles.moman wrote:Not much to report. My mileage is starting to build up finally - I have dome more miles at a times lately, but they were all walking - not now.
This week it will be a little over 30 miles - got 14 miles yesterday.
My weekly long runs bump up to 16 next week and then 18 after that for a few weeks.
I am finding that I am able to move up my normal "cruising" speed, which I need to do for the IT 100.
And, yes, I recently signed up for the 100-miler, but I am not broadly announcing it.
My running buddy, Bob Siscoe will be my pacer/safety runner starting at mile 50.
I will be training hard - not too hard - until April and I really want to reach that goal.
I know that my core has never been better and I am still doing 5 hours or so a day of PT.
It will be very tough, but I intend on finishing the race.
Cool!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:59 am

Last week I got in a 16-mile run and this week and next it bumps up to 18.
I am slowly dropping my average pace (under 15 minutes)  - I want to be at a 12-13 minute average by April - so far - so good.
I am hopeful for the IT 100 and will give it my best.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Done. 18 miles at the Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge in less than 4 hours.
18.00 miles - 3:54:51
Average pace 13:02
1 - 12:04 2 - 11:56 3 - 12:29 4 - 12:25 5 - 12:01 6 - 11:31 7 - 12:34 8 - 12:39
9 - 12:59 10 -12:24 11 - 13:32 12 - 13:15 13 - 13:21 14 - 13:28 15 - 14:18
16 - 14:34 17 - 15:05 18 - 14:00

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:33 am

Another 18-miler done. Just 8 minutes slower than last week's 18 miles.
I always wear a hydration vest, but today wore a Camelback waist belt with a single bottle holder in the back. Unfortunately, I forgot that I still had hip issues and it caused a L
OT of stress on my right hip.
I was in "some" pain at mile 14 and walked the rest of the final 4 miles.
At mile 17.5, I took off the belt and instantly realized that I had caused much of the pain with a tight hip hydration belt. Duh!

I also sat in a movie theater last night to see "Unbroken" (a great movie BTW) and by the end I was really uncomfortable and in pain.
Sitting still for more than an hour can often really be uncomfortable for me. When I fly to Poland at the end of January, I have to remember to get up and walk some now and then.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:45 pm

10 miles in 2:09 after doing 18 miles yesterday. My miles ranged from 11:48 - 13:47. Miles 5 - 8 were all exactly 13:10 - I am working to keep a very steady pace for long periods of time. So far that is going well - I would like to be in the 12s for as long as possible and that will come. 
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:49 pm

You are doing great! I look forward to hearing about your trip to Poland.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:54 pm

Here is my last video of 2014.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Nice report, Charles!

You know, considering what happened to you earlier this year, simply making it to 2015 is a huge triumph. But you've taken this twist of fate and responded to the challenges it created with a bullheadedness, er, commitment and level of determination that is both inspiring and a little intimidating. I wouldn't want to get between you and anything you set your mind to.

Have a great 2015, Charles!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:09 pm

So about a week ago, I saw on Facebook that you'd posted about the 10+18.  Then I came here and saw that you signed up for a 50 and ran 36 of it.  (Relatively) shortly after your accident.  You're a pretty inspirational dude, Charles.  Hope your 2015 continues to get better.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:24 am

I did the Tunnel Hill 50 (36 of it) back in November.
I actually ran about 13 miles of it and then was forced to walk the remainder.
It was the most I had run since the wreck and it was my last race I have been to.
Now I am only signed up for the Indiana Trail 100 in late April.
Last year I was in a wheelchair and I am hopeful I can get to the finish line right before the 30-hour cutoff.
If I can get the first 50 done in 12-13 hours, I think I could walk the rest in, if I needed to.
I already have a pacer and he will push me and have no sympathy - a great friend who is giving up the race for me.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:06 pm

I really don't care how you want to classify yourself.  Don't be a 'real' runner, be a jogger.  However, even though I am a turtle I will remain a runner....so there. tongue

This was a fantastic weekend of running for you. B2B runs of substance and consistency.  I'm looking forward to getting to where you are in your training.  My longest run has been 17 miles and I'm doing short recovery runs the next day.  I'm signing up for Hawthorne and Howl, so I hope I can watch all your glory of running there! (you should be recovered from the Indiana Trail 100 by then, right?) Smile
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:57 am

It is more a semantic kind of thing and I just wan't to annoy you Dot! Smile
And it will be great to have you at Hawthorne - it is a nice little 3 mile loop.
And you already know all about the Howl - be ready to pull the trigger on Earth Day because it might sell out faster this year since it is the 25th.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:06 am

In a week I am headed to Poland for the 70th Commemoration of the Liberation of Auschwitz and the weather looks pretty good.
Five years ago it was normally 0 degrees most of the time - yikes.
Security will be crazy tight and I can only use a very small camera bag - so much for the nice $100+ anti-theft bag I bought for the trip.

I switched my long run next week to yesterday - I don't need to head into an exhausting and jet-lagged-week worn out.
So I did 25 miles yesterday at the Wildlife Refuge - it went pretty well.
Still have some right hip pain after a dozen miles or so that comes and goes.
Tight piriformis for sure and I hope not some imbalance.
When I get back after the trip, I am having someone check out my running form to make sure I am not doing some compensating for left, injured side.
Moving along.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:17 pm

You are definitely an inspiration to all of us.  Nice effort on the recent runs.  Enjoy the trip.  I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes upon your return.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 5 Empty Article about my Auschwitz trip

Post  charles.moman Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:47 am

Here is an article about my trip. I will be making a video too.
It was a great trip to a terrible place. Shook me up - a lot.
I get very emotional when talking about sometimes.
I am going back this summer on the same trip - different people - same leaders from CANDLES Holocaust museum in Terre Haute.
I will tell a lot more later.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 5 Front_10

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 5 My_aus13

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 5 My_aus11
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:09 pm

Wow...What an amazing experience! I have seen the documentary "Forgiving Dr. Mengele", visited the Holocaust Museum in DC, and toured the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, but I bet none of it holds a candle to the experience that you had. That's a great article that your local paper did on your experience and I am sure that there is so much more that you have to share.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:31 am

"It is only in the darkest night that you can see the brightest stars" ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

You walked through one of the world's darkest places, Charles. I'm glad you had a star as bright as Eva to guide you.

Thank you for sharing this.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next