365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career

+13
charles.moman
Tom H
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
carleenp
Dave Bussard
Julie
dot520
jon c
17 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 7 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  dot520 Sun May 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Awesome, thanks for finding those!  I'm thinking that for the 6 hour, I may not bother with a tent, just bring a chair (with umbrella) , blanket, cooler and stuff like that.  That' cool that they had a 50k sticker for the back of your medal.

Running out there this weekend, it was only in the low 70's but felt much hotter with the direct sun.  Fun times ahead.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 7 Empty Christmas in July 6,12,24 Hour Ultra RR

Post  charles.moman Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:31 am

Here is a little video report that has all the details.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 7 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  ounce Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:52 pm

gratz on consuming the elephant! elephant
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:08 pm

Dot and I ran the 8-hour ultra "Howl at the Moon" near Danville, Illinois this weekend.
Here we are!

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Congrats to you both!  Just finished reading my July/August Marathon and Beyond - saw your little clip in the article about the NC24.  Are you coming back to CLE this year???
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Yes, I am signed up for the NC24!
I am mentioned in an article? 
Did not know that - can you maybe scan that section for me?
If so, email it to charles@momanmedia.com
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Will do!  And yeah!  I think it is the same day as the Akron Marathon, so I'll be around.  I'm part of a three person relay at Akron that we created to pace a friend - each one of us runs 20-21.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:40 am

Well . .  . I was in an interesting running event this past Labor Day Weekend.
I do several timed races each year and they are among my favorites - usually 24-hour events.
Timed events - you go and do as much or little as you want that weekend.
Everyone starts together and off you go - usually in loops.
My recent timed event was "A Race for the Ages" (ARFTA) held in Manchester, Tennessee.
This was organized and conceived by Laz of infamous Barkley Marathon fame.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 7 Laz10

He decided to find a way to gather as many of the ultra pioneers as possible at one event and came up with ARFTA.
It was held at Deadman Park (yes, really) on a 1-mile loop primarily on blacktop.
The race finished at 6 PM on Labor Day, but the starting time was crazy unique because it was based upon your age.
You started the number of hours of your age.
I am 63, so I started on Saturday morning at 3 AM!
I was able to get in 102 miles!

Some fun facts about ARFTA. 
Runners/walkers by age breakdown:
80's - 4
70's - 25
60's - 61
50's - 35
40's - 35
30's - 13
20 & under - 3

There were 3 100-mile finishers in their 80s, 18 in their 70s, 42 in their 60s, and 23 in their 50s. 70% percent of the 163 runners made it to the century mark. Winner Joe Fejes - age 49 - ran 200 miles. He is renowned ultra runner.
70-somethings had the highest percentage of 100 milers with 82% completing the distance. 80 and 60 year-olds tied for second with 75%. 50 year-olds had 74% finishing with 100 or more miles. Then came the youngsters with 40's at 67%, 30's at 62%, 20's at 33%. 

I believe there were 163 folks with the average age of 56!
Anyway, my 9-minute video explains about the race in general and my race.
I got 100+ miles, but I do not equate this with being a 100-mile finisher at a trail race.
I will attempt that in November at the Tunnel Hill 100.
But I DID go 100 miles and 100 miles is a 100 miles no matter how you do it! : )

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe. You racked up 100 miles in one go. That's all that counts in my book!

cheers cheers cheers

Congratulations on a huge achievement! Completely and utterly impressive.

You'll have to share some of your core workout secrets with the rest of us. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Mark B wrote:Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe. You racked up 100 miles in one go. That's all that counts in my book!

cheers cheers cheers

Congratulations on a huge achievement! Completely and utterly impressive.

You'll have to share some of your core workout secrets with the rest of us. Smile

+++++++++

Impressive!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:27 am

My 5-minute race report about my 50.5 miles at the North Coast 24-hour event in Cleveland last weekend.
I started that 12 days after doing 100 in Tennessee. Very intelligent! : )

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:27 am

And the weather was not exactly wonderful all weekend either.  Nice work, Charles!  Sorry that I didn't make it out there, but first the rain, then my very sick dog prevented me from making it on Saturday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:19 am

Nice report, Charles, and nice job racking up another 50 miles. It's hard to imagine it this way, considering the distances involved, but you're getting some great training at these events for the time-limited events you have on the horizon.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:20 am

St. Pat's 24-hour RR.
Was not the best day, but it's ok.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:36 am

You must be tired, Charles.  Wise move to stop then.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Tiredness did not stop me.
Pain where I still have a lot of scar tissue got me this time - a LOT more than my normal daily level.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Crash or not, you have been asking a lot of your body, Charles. Add in the injuries and it's no wonder you had a bad day. Keep the faith, give yourself some more recovery time between races, and I bet the bad days will be fewer.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:28 pm

I know how easy it is to look at what you can't do and forget to recognize what you can do...and you've done an impressive amount of miles recently!  Hope you can shake this off as just a bad day and enjoy your next event.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:10 am

I only wish it was that easy. It was not a unique day - it almost always feels that way.
My ortho told me long ago that I might never feel the way I felt before the wreck.
So it just may be that this is my new normal and I have to decide what to do with it.

I am not saying anything else now about it or running or training on Facebook because it triggers either a sympathy fest or some think I am wimping out.
I cannot adequately express how it feels that makes sense to anyone else - they can't feel what I feel and vice versa.
Before the wreck, if I had had a day like my normal days I have now and how uncomfortable/painful it is, I would stop immediately.
And I think "most" would do the same - they would stop and say that they could not continue running feeling that way.
I am not saying I am Mr Tough Guy, but it really is not fun unless I get seriously distracted with talk or thoughts.
We all feel what we feel and have our own pain thresholds and what we put up with.
That's it. I am signed up for the Tunnel Hill 100 in 3 weeks and the Indiana Trail 100 in April and I don't know what I will do about either of them.
I am having fun doing hikes with Susie and by myself and maybe that will be enough.
Plus 1-2 hours a day of my PT that I will not stop. I hope to get a NordicTrack incline treadmill sometime next year too.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:50 pm

It can be rough when you're trying to explain how you feel about something so important to you, but I hope you remember that to a very significant extent, you don't have to. We all think you're pretty darn awesome no matter what.

As far as the upcoming events go, I'd humbly suggest that you make decisions that are best for you and make you happy/satisfied/fulfilled. Yours is the only opinion that matters. (And anybody who would put you and "wimp" in the same sentence is an idiot, so ignore them.)

I am sorry that the pain from the crash is so unrelenting. Crossing my fingers that it eases with time.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:15 am

Here is my final race report for 2015.
It has been an interesting year for sure, with some up and downs.
Mainly ups - 50 miles at the Indiana Trail 100, Christmas in July 24-hour, Howl at the Moon 8-hour, Cleveland and St. Pat's 24-hour races and the crazy "Race for the Ages" with Laz in TN.
And my two unbelievable trips to Poland and Auschwitz.

I did 50-miles at Tunnel Hill this past weekend.
The winner did 100 miles in 12:52:53! Unreal.
His 50 mile split was faster than the 50 mile winner!

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 7 50_10010

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:15 am

charles.moman wrote:

I want this to get a little more attention.  This dude essentially ran 4 consecutive 3:20 marathons without stopping. That's insane.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:36 pm

mul21 wrote:
charles.moman wrote:

I want this to get a little more attention.  This dude essentially ran 4 consecutive 3:20 marathons without stopping. That's insane.

No, not insane. In-freaking-sane.

What a great year you had, Charles! I'm exhausted just looking at it. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7