365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career

+13
charles.moman
Tom H
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
carleenp
Dave Bussard
Julie
dot520
jon c
17 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 2 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  charles.moman Fri May 16, 2014 2:38 am

Yesterday I drove over to Bedford and on to Mitchell for a friend's retirement party.
Ellis taught elementary music for over 40 years and did my Indiana musical every year since I released it.
I found out he was retiring and contacted another good friend there and offered to come and surprise him.
I made up a little rap, rewrote the lyrics to my "What is a Hoosier?" and then had him do my basketball rap together.
It was fun to see the surprised look on his face when I slowly walked up with my cane.
I had the soundtrack a little too loud, but perhaps you can get most of it.
I also stopped at Bedford on the way back and shot a short video of the accident scene.

And the accident scene

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 2 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  Mark B Fri May 16, 2014 11:35 am

Woo-hoo! Look at you up and walking, all sassy and everything. Fantastic!

The songs weren't half bad, either. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri May 16, 2014 4:49 pm

It was fun to do and I only messed up a little.
I felt a little dizzy while standing - not too much.

The verdict today at Columbus Out-patient was: BPPV! 
Oh no! Will I die soon? Nope.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo - brought on by the trauma of my accident.
The impact breaks loose particles that are normally in the wall of the inner ear and they get in the inner ear floaty stuff (my term) and cause the room to spin when I lay down and turn slightly. The OT did a maneuver that helps the particles float back out. The first time she made it happen and did the moves. The second time she did it, it seemed to not happen. I will also do a laymen version at home until we fly to Alaska next week. She thinks I will be symptom free by then. Yeah!
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu May 22, 2014 10:16 pm

We are in Fairbanks, AK. It was a VERY long day Tuesday getting here. Tomorrow we drive to Denali and the wedding is on Saturday. I will post more photos and videos when we get back home. Becky has a dry cabin - no running water - so we go to her gym to take showers. I walked for 20 minutes on the indoor track and then took a glorious hot shower.  I think there will be 7 of us at the casual and private wedding inside Denali. The weather is looking good so far and had been nice since we got here. 

So thankful to be alive for this weekend. We really like Corey and he is a great match for our Becky. I would love to trail run at Denali, but that will have to wait until our next trip here.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 22, 2014 10:26 pm

It sounds like you and Susie are having a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

So, why a dry cabin? Is it due to the cold-cold winters there?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri May 23, 2014 10:13 am

I guess it is too expensive to run water lines everywhere. I would not want this on a permanent basis. 

So, Susie and I got up at 5:30 - 9:30 Indiana time. We sent Corey up to our bed. Susie went out to the outhouse for a spell. She comes back and I go out there - it is in the 30's. While out there, she texts me to look out for a moose. She saw tracks by the fire pit. Thanks for telling the cripple that news AFTER he is out there and the hiding moose is now about to pounce on me and stomp me to death. I survive a car hit and run and then die from a moose stomp and stare. Smile
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 23, 2014 10:26 am

charles.moman wrote:Thanks for telling the cripple that news AFTER he is out there and the hiding moose is now about to pounce on me and stomp me to death. I survive a car hit and run and then die from a moose stomp and stare. Smile

Sorry to tell you this, Charles, but that'd be just about the craziest obituary ever.   jocolor 

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 am

Mark B wrote:
charles.moman wrote:Thanks for telling the cripple that news AFTER he is out there and the hiding moose is now about to pounce on me and stomp me to death. I survive a car hit and run and then die from a moose stomp and stare. Smile

Sorry to tell you this, Charles, but that'd be just about the craziest obituary ever.   jocolor 

Would make for a good country western song.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 am

Jim Lentz wrote:
Mark B wrote:

+1
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri May 23, 2014 11:03 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:
Mark B wrote:

+1

+2
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri May 23, 2014 11:13 am

Oh, better yet. I forgot to mention this. I am heading back from the outhouse, very slowly using my trekking poles. I am hurting today, so it was slow going. I decide to look at the tracks and go uphill a little to get there. Susie is looking out the window with iPhone at the ready to film an imminent attack. True story.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed May 28, 2014 4:01 pm

We are back from our Alaska wedding adventure. 
The weather was sunny, windy and chilly at Denali on Saturday - a beautiful day.
We rode on the park bus for a couple of hours and the 8 of us jumped out at Polychrome Pass.
No facilities there - just a nice outlook and a trail. A few others got off with us, but went hiking.
The girls went over the hill and changed clothes.
I set up the video camera and got cameras ready.
The wedding itself was 7 minutes long. Really.
Here is the video - I will post some photos too shortly.

I am now walking with a cane and without too.
Still doing PT at home and at the clinic and I go back to ortho on June 13.
At that time I likely will be allowed to do some light jogging and ease back into running.
It has been 9 weeks now since the accident. I am still sore quite often, but getting there.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Great progress and what a great spot for a wedding! The only thing it needed was a moose in the background. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed May 28, 2014 4:36 pm

I am glad that you are progressing along and able to walk some without a cane.

I bet the view was amazing. What a great place to get married...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Wow, you are back already!  I'm guessing it was a great trip and I'm very proud of you and all the progress you have made.  I'm betting I do see you here in September!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:17 am

Susie and I got back home early this morning from California.
It was wonderful seeing our newest granddaughter #5 , Orabelle in Encinitas.
I also got to spend a few days with Ava - #4 - in Spokane.
I wish I would have had time to run across the state and visit Mark and family again. 
Next time Mark - really. I miss you guys!

BUT, it is SO good to be home again.
I need to get really serious about getting in running shape now.
I am back to my pre-wreck weight and now want to get back down to 155 or so.
Also, today I am retiring my cane (I will keep it around if I have a limping day).
I just have to concentrate on not limping or leaning.

And, yes, I will post some granddaughter photos later!
You know me and documenting almost everything.

I deferred my Chicago 24-hour race until next year and will instead go to the IT 100 training weekend on July 18-20.
By then, I will be running and hiking pretty well.
My hope is that I am up to 30+ miles a week by August sometime.

Moving on.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:35 am

Had my probable last therapy session today. Pretty equal strength on both sides, but I need to really work my hamstrings and butt muscles big time.
I thought I would be able to actually jog, but it hurts too much. Then I would be so sore I could not walk much, so I will be patient.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Congrats on making it back to the trails! (And ditching the cane.) One other thing that might be making it a bit more difficult is that you're walking on uneven surfaces, which is working everything in your kinetic chain differently than if you were walking on the roads or a treadmill. Keep at it, and those running muscles will be ready to rumble before you know it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:49 pm

What Mark said Approval
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:54 pm

charles.moman wrote:Yeah Carleen! Get ready for your 365 interview sister!
I'm so behind on reading blogs! would love to do an interview. Hopefully I wouldn't bore everyone though, LOL! I made a hotel reservation for me and Ken at the Holiday Inn for Friday and Saturday (I'm thinking the hot tub Sat. will be nice!). Ken is going to walk and I am going to go for 40 miles total. It should be fun!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Mark B wrote:Congrats on making it back to the trails! (And ditching the cane.) One other thing that might be making it a bit more difficult is that you're walking on uneven surfaces, which is working everything in your kinetic chain differently than if you were walking on the roads or a treadmill. Keep at it, and those running muscles will be ready to rumble before you know it.
+1 I think this has to be good overall for you because it will work everything and not just the major muscle groups.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:54 am

Am so impressed with your willpower and recovery.  Walking, Alaska, weddings............keep it up.  You're awesome.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:40 am

Yesterday was a painful day - I think I overdid it on one of the leg machines the day before.
I got to .65 on the treadmill and the pain was too bad and I stopped and went home.
I got out the TENS unit, plus used heated rice bags.

This morning we go out for a 1.75 quick walk before Susie goes to work and I keep working out.
Susie seems so sweet, but she is a MEANIE!
True. Story.

The detective called me from Bedford and said the driver was supposed to turn himself in yesterday around noon.
They have been looking for him, but his lawyer said he would show up. I am guessing he did.
Charged with failure to stop with injury and entrapment.
We will see how this turns out.

Here is proof:

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Keep your sense of humor. That is great! I like the way that you are approaching your comeback...slow and steady. Keep up the good work. Inspiring!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Here is an article that came out yesterday in our local paper.
I threw the idea to the editor and he liked it - 100 miles vs. 100 inches.
Steve is a former student of mine from long ago and a really humble guy.
I thought it would be a good way of getting him some local recognition for finishing his first 100.
The reporter did a great job with our two experiences.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 2 Tribun10

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 2 Articl10

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 2 Articl11

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 2 Articl12
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next