365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career

+13
charles.moman
Tom H
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
carleenp
Dave Bussard
Julie
dot520
jon c
17 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  charles.moman Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 pm

About a 3-minute video about my event on Saturday.
I may look a little thinner - I am getting my weight down to 150 and staying there.
I am 153 now - last year at this time I was 165 or so. I feel so much better in the 150's.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  charles.moman Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Just a shade over 30 miles this week. I had to take Thursday off - just too worn out. 
Maybe next week I will move up to 35 miles of walking. I just make up this schedule as I go. 
I can't find anyone online who had the exact same extensive injuries I received and is rebuilding for ultras. 
Even if I did find someone, I will not be like them, so comparing would be kind of useless. 
Five weeks from today I will be at Cleveland for the North Coast 24-hour ultra.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Congrats on getting your weight down - not an easy thing as we age.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:18 pm

40 miles of walking for the week. Today was 5 miles at a 15:43 pace. A little faster than normal because I threw in a few 30 second jogs. The first few were fine, but all of a sudden it was a VERY bad thing to do. My left side (the side I got hit on in the wreck) quickly proved it is weaker and tighter times 10. It made me almost limp when walking, so I had to stop the jogging fast. More than 40 miles would have been bad too. I look fine walking, but I still feel it with each step. I would rate on a pain scale of 1-10, my walking at a 1-2 most of the time and 3-4 when I first start. 

I watched a documentary on Netflix "So Much, So Fast" about a guy with ALS. Watch it and you won't whine about too much in your life.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Well . . . I decided a little late, to head out to the Refuge to do a longer walk. I ended up with precisely 11 miles. I will get about 10 more this week to end up the week with 40 and the month with a little over 145 miles of walking. I feel the wreck with just about every step, but I am grateful to be moving so well.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Recap of my 24-hour race at Cleveland this past weekend.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:24 am

charles.moman wrote:Recap of my 24-hour race at Cleveland this past weekend.

Good job on the 40+ miles!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:58 am

All of my 6 kids, but Daniel, have been coming into Seymour to meet our daughter, Becky's new husband - Corey. They live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Sara and Rob and Ori got in second from CA. We are having a delayed wedding reception at church in Columbus on Sunday. Michael, John Mark and Jennifer live in the area.

Then a HUGE shock Friday afternoon! While Susie, Sarah and Becky and families were at Greencastle - Daniel, Emily and Ava drove up. NO ONE knew they were coming. They flew in from Spokane. Such a surprise! Tomorrow I will be seeing all 6 of my kids and 5 granddaughters together for the first time in many years - probably 9 years. Daniel pulled off a big one. And I am so thankful to have them all here. I still can't believe all of this. Super blessed. Major photo session is coming at Jennifer's on Saturday afternoon. 

Here are all, but John Mark at our local Oktoberfest last night. Well - Jennifer - my oldest, is taking the photo. And a video of the surprise.
A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Oktobe10

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:26 am

Finally with all five granddaughters!

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 The_fi10
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:56 am

I was released by my ortho doctor yesterday! He was very happy with my progress and what I am now doing.
I asked him about the Indiana Trail 100 in April and should I rule it out.
He said, with me, he would not rule anything out - just be aware of my body and do the right thing.
I am starting to mix in .25 mile jogs in with my walks now and will expand on that.
Though I am not going to say anything publicly on Facebook, I am seriously considering going back to the IT 100 in April.
I want to do it and finish it. And I am pretty sure I will.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:04 am

Now that our family week get together is over, I will be focusing on my upcoming trip in January to Poland. It will be the 70th commemoration of the liberation of Auschwitz. I am going with a group of 60 led by Eva Mozes Kor, a survivor of Auschwitz (along with her twin, Miriam) and Dr. Mengele's twin experimentation. It will be a huge international event and can be followed live on the internet.
Here I am with Eva in 2012, at her Holocaust museum - CANDLES Holocaust Museum and Education Center - in Terre Haute, where I first met her with other Lilly Fellows. I told Eva about me being a twin and that there are 2 sets of twins in my family - she told me Dr. Mengele would have been interested in us. That was chilling to hear. The other photo is a famous one with Eva and her twin sister, Miriam at the front of the line. Eva is on the left. There is an excellent documentary on Netflix about her - "Forgiving Dr. Mengele" - that I highly recommend. She also has an excellent book - "Surviving the Angel of Death". It will be an incredible experience. You can be sure I will be documenting it really well.

By the way - if any of my Jewish friends here on 365 runners would like me to look someone up while at Auschwitz, I would be honored to do so. I know they have excellent records and I could stop in and make a request for you. I am not sure how that will work, but I will contact our trip organizers to inquire about the procedure.
We will be at Auschwitz 3 days - first for the international event and then two days touring Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II -Birkenau with Eva. I will have a free day, the day before we leave and I am considering taking a train back there if I need more photos or video. I hope to get another trip member to go with me so I don't end up getting lost!

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Eva10

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 14887210
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Congratulations on the great visit from the kids and grandkids -- and the great news from the orthopedist! And all the evidence seems to suggest that he's right: If you pay heed to your body and work into it gradually, returning to running extra-ultra distances is totally possible. Even 100.

That should be an amazing trip for you in January. And quite sobering. Eva sounds like an amazing lady.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Wow, I hope your trip to Poland goes well, I know it can sure be cold that time of year. I've been to Poland twice but never to Auschwitz.  That would be very difficult, I'm sure. Have you read The Bravest Battle? It's historical fiction about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, one of my favorite books. Eva reminds me of Corrie Ten Boom, I know God gives us the ability to forgive, I just know it can be very hard and to forgive people who hurt you and your sister (or other family) so much, is definitely super-human.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am

St. Pat's 24-hour report.
Short version: 
It rained/misted all day long and finally stopped most of the night. And got down to the low 30s. I got 45 miles (15 loops) and got really really cold. 

The. 
End.

Long version - REALLY long and you have been warned!: 

My overall goal of the weekend was to see where my stamina was and do my best to keep moving for a lot of hours. This was my first serious event on real trails with roots and holes and plain old dirt since the accident in March. I always want more miles, but I believe I can say it was a successful race for me. I continue to learn more about ultras and myself at each event.

I got there early on Friday afternoon and took a nap in the car. Later I walked the 3-mile route and took a photo every 10 steps to create a video of the course. I will put that up later this week. It was great seeing some friends - Tiffany Dore, Amy Gersey, Curt Chambers and Barry Smoloff. And there were others I had seen at other ultras. Many knew about my accident and were very supportive. Some told me that the word got out very quickly about my wreck in the ultra world and they had been praying for me. That meant a lot to me.

Saturday morning, I think it was in the low 40's and light rain/mist which pretty much continued all day, sometimes with some wind. It was hard to get dressed just right at that temperature "edge". At least for me, I was either sweating too much or getting a little cold. I kept my long rain jacket, with a hood on, most of the day and just changed shirts now and then. And that worked well for me. I was comfortable most of the time.

I wanted to average one 3-mile loop every hour - nice and easy. My first 10 loops, I was averaging around 50-53 minutes per loop. I was not pushing myself and it felt really great. Because of the accident and all of this forced walking, I believe I have become a really good and efficient walker. And that will serve me REALLY well in the future at every single ultra event. Runners new to ultras really underestimate the power of good walking skills.

I stopped at a bathroom nearly every single loop. And I grabbed something to eat, as well. My hydration and nutrition were perfect at this event. After those first 10 loops, I stopped and changed into my cushy Hoka Stinson Evo shoes - they felt wonderful. I wore my Brooks Cascadias at first, with the plan that I would "treat" myself to the Hokas when I got 30 miles in. I think it was around 5 PM. I decided to get ready for the night at that time too, so I changed all of my clothes, except my running shorts. Dry buffs, hat, gloves,shirt, jacket, warmer running pants and socks. It felt great. I decided to retape my feet too - the ankle taping with Kenesio tape was holding up fine, but I fixed the pieces on my big toes and balls of my feet. But - BIG MISTAKE - I did it with regular athletic tape. During loop 11, maybe 2 miles in, I felt incredible pain in my left big toe - like a huge huge blister. I angled my foot to avoid hitting it and most of the time I could, but it slowed me down. There was no use in stopping to fix it because I had nothing with me, so I carefully moved on until I got back to the start. I ran into the barn at the start and I was afraid to look at it - I thought it was going to end the race. Fortunately, no blister. The skin was all wrinkly and the the tape had come loose and turned into a spiky weapon. It was stabbing my toe at certain angles. I lost time, but I was happy and soon out on the trail for loop 12.

Loop 12 went well and I was still a little under an hour per loop. On loop 13, which ended up being 1:05, I got hammered. That last half mile I felt unbelievable, extreme fatigue coming on. I have "hit the wall" before, but this was SO different. To me, I felt like I had reached the absolute end of every bit of stamina within me. This was not my body running out of fuel, it was just done. Those 33 miles were MUCH harder than Cleveland, because Cleveland is a flat flat flat strip of blacktop. So I wisely decided to stop and rest before I as reduced to a crawl, I mean REALLY crawling! : ) I set an alarm for 2 hours later and dove into my sleeping bag. I woke up and felt so much better. Out on the trail again - in the dark. While I was sleeping, the temps had really dropped and I should have changed into a warmer top.

Loop 14 was fine out there in the dark, but my arms were getting cold - more than I realized. And my hands. At the end of the loop 14, I thought about running into the barn to put on my Sporthill running shirt that is good down to single digits. But I did not. Soon I was getting really cold and a little unstable too. I hit a root around mile 2 and took a HUGE fall. The worst trail fall ever for me. I am glad I did not hold out my hands or I surely would have broken a wrist. I got back up and knew I should stop at the start and do something. I opted to get in my sleeping bag to warm up and rest. I set an alarm to wake me up at maybe 3:30 AM - not sure about the time. However, I just seemed to get colder and colder. Maybe I should have gone out to the fire at the start line, not sure. Next year I will bring an electric blanket - outlets are everywhere in the barn. I think around 4 AM or so, I finally felt warmish. I really had a choice to make about whether to go back out. With two more loops I would get to 51 miles - that sounded good to my ego. But I decided 45 miles was enough for where I am in my recovery. I still am not anywhere near 100% - especially my stamina and running ability - so I made the right decision. A year from now, if in that same situation, I would keep going. The. End.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I ran from Indiana to Michigan and back FIFTEEN times this weekend! True. Story. In the last mile you pass the border between Indiana and Michigan - so EVERY time I passed it, I made sure to go over the line. Even in the middle of the night! That story to tell was too good to pass up!. : )
I will make my normal race report video soon, that will tell basically the same things! : )

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Start10

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Orange10

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Hat10

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Border10

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Border11

Last edited by charles.moman on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:51 am

Yup, Cleveland really is just one flat strip of asphalt (lol!)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:07 pm

A 5-minute video race report.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks for the video race report, Charles. It sounds like you got a little hypothermic out there -- bringing an electric blanket for next time sounds like a very good idea. Glad you didn't push it too far and were able to have a fast and easy recovery.

If you're every looking for a 24-hour race in the Pacific Northwest, there's a dandy one set up as a relay with the option to fly solo, and options of pavement or trail. And it's got a great name, too.

Lake of Death Relay
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 pm

So . . . Mark - are we doing it as a team of 2 or both going solo?
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:48 am

Inspiring as usual, Charles!  I hope you don't consider me a stalker as I've been keeping note of various Ultras you've done and the terrain/location for each.  I will be showing up to about 3 of them next year, more or less as I see how my fitness progresses. I prefer less technical and more endurance which seems to be your repetoir for the most part (Tecumseh excluded).  Looking forward to your next video!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Wow, amazing!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:43 pm

charles.moman wrote:So . . . Mark - are we doing it as a team of 2 or both going solo?
Yeah, Mark?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:16 am

A week from now, I will be in Vienna, Illinois for the Tunnel Hill 50/100.
It will be pretty flat and exposed since it is a former RR line converted to trails with a layer of crushed limestone.
I began running some this week - a ratio of 5 minutes of walking and then 2 minutes of running.
And it does not hurt! It does feel very different getting back into the running groove.
I will slowly transition the ratio until I get back to my normal 5/1 (running/walking).
I have not signed up for the Indiana Trail 100 next April, but after next week I will seriously consider it if I do decently.

Very grateful.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:18 am

I bought my Indiana granddaughters Buffs, sop they could be lime ME! Smile
Izzy and Mikaela are here this weekend and they got theirs last night.
Addie will be here for supper so she gets hers then.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 4 Buffs210
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Cool!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
charles.moman wrote:So . . . Mark - are we doing it as a team of 2 or both going solo?
Yeah, Mark?

I'm thinking! I'm thinking!

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next