365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survival of the fittest

+11
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
Nick Morris
Tom H
mountandog
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
15 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Survival of the fittest - Page 8 Empty Re: Survival of the fittest

Post  Nick Morris Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:09 am

If you are looking for someone to run with for a while, one of my friends is in the same corral and wave as you.  Her husband is moving back to run with her too.  They are only looking to break 4 hours.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:12 pm

Julie wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:The best approach for Boston (especially your first and maybe your one and only) is to relax and just take it all in.  You might even want to just run by feel and forget about the watch.  I'm actually considering that approach since I know I can run by effort and I might be smarter.  I just don't like to hurt (anymore) and that is probably why I can still run a sort of fast half and a much slower (than my halves indicate) marathon.  I ran in 2012 without a watch (it was wicked hot) and ended up running a 4 hr race without even thinking about it.  

Just relax and enjoy, Nancy.  Start now.

I don't think I'll ever get to Boston, but I really like that advice. It has to be such an amazing experience, I wouldn't worry about time, then again, I always run by feel (it works for me and gets me even splits). I wish you a great time! Take lots of pictures!

Thanks Michele and Julie...I know that I need to relax and I keep telling myself that finish time isn't important.  I just hope I can remember that on race day!  It's going to be an awesome experience...even if I do mess up and don't pace myself like I hope I can. cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:23 pm

Nick Morris wrote:If you are looking for someone to run with for a while, one of my friends is in the same corral and wave as you.  Her husband is moving back to run with her too.  They are only looking to break 4 hours.

Are the couple that ran with you/us in Hamilton doing Boston...Jenny and Pete if I remember correctly.  4 hours is way to fast for me.  My BQ/PR is 4:04.  I'm pretty pleased to feel prepared to run a 4:10 on a course similar to Hamilton on a good day.  That said I'm going to really try hard to run slower than that...  I'd be ecstatic if I finished in 4:15 and wouldn't be disappointed with something a bit slower.  I really do want to be able to enjoy the day.

That said...I'd love someone to visit with while we wait for the start.  It might help keep the nerves in check.

Taper has officially started now.
9.5 miles this morning with 4 x 1.5 mile intervals.  (13:34, 13:33, 13:32, 13:29)  I wasn't disappointed with those splits at all...just over a 9 min pace.  My legs were still feeling the 20 miler on Saturday and the wind was not pleasant at all.  I was happy with those splits and especially pleased that I didn't fade at the end.

Pool is closed for maintenance this month so it will just be my 3 day a week runs which will gradually get shorter...and shorter...and shorter...and then really long! affraid
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:40 am

Nancy - I think my old running partner, Joe, is in the same corral as you.  He is a Boston vet and is looking to run around 4:15-4:20.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Nancy - I think my old running partner, Joe, is in the same corral as you.  He is a Boston vet and is looking to run around 4:15-4:20.

Thanks Michele, I think that's right where I need to be with my time so if he doesn't mind I'd love to at least catch up with him in the corral and then keep an eye on him to remind me of the pace I should be at.  I don't want him to feel like he needs to babysit me but I would appreciate his help/experience.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:42 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:If you are looking for someone to run with for a while, one of my friends is in the same corral and wave as you.  Her husband is moving back to run with her too.  They are only looking to break 4 hours.

Are the couple that ran with you/us in Hamilton doing Boston...Jenny and Pete if I remember correctly.  4 hours is way to fast for me.  My BQ/PR is 4:04.  I'm pretty pleased to feel prepared to run a 4:10 on a course similar to Hamilton on a good day.  That said I'm going to really try hard to run slower than that...  I'd be ecstatic if I finished in 4:15 and wouldn't be disappointed with something a bit slower.  I really do want to be able to enjoy the day.

That said...I'd love someone to visit with while we wait for the start.  It might help keep the nerves in check.

Taper has officially started now.
9.5 miles this morning with 4 x 1.5 mile intervals.  (13:34, 13:33, 13:32, 13:29)  I wasn't disappointed with those splits at all...just over a 9 min pace.  My legs were still feeling the 20 miler on Saturday and the wind was not pleasant at all.  I was happy with those splits and especially pleased that I didn't fade at the end.

Pool is closed for maintenance this month so it will just be my 3 day a week runs which will gradually get shorter...and shorter...and shorter...and then really long! affraid

Yes, it is Pete and Jenny. You have a pretty good memory. Let the taper madness begin Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 am

Joseph Lenanhan - #24735 and Wave 4, corral 1.  My friend Tim (Warren) is in that corral as well.  Tim is one of the smartest runners that I know and is a great negative split runner.  I almost expect him to pass me around mile 23!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Taper Time! Woot! Enjoy the madness. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Joseph Lenanhan - #24735 and Wave 4, corral 1.  My friend Tim (Warren) is in that corral as well.  Tim is one of the smartest runners that I know and is a great negative split runner.  I almost expect him to pass me around mile 23!

Thanks Michele...I'm looking forward to visiting with Joe and/or Tim while we wait for the start.  My goal will be to make sure I don't pass them in the first mile!!!!!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:04 pm

Good thing I'm busy helping with carrot planting and babysitting Owen or I'd be going nuts!

Thursday 8 mi w/6 @MP (9:16)  Faster than I've been running these MP runs but of course it was shorter.  Felt pretty good and I got down to under a 9:00 pace for that last mile.

The pool is closed for maintenance.  I miss my swims.  They really help my legs to recover after a hard run.  I don't normally do recovery runs...3 day a week runner...and I don't think now is the time to change that!  I've been making sure I get some walking in and that seems to be working fine.

This is all happening way to fast...or not fast enough...I'm not sure which.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:30 pm

17 days away Nancy!! It will be here sooner than you know it.

When are you getting into Boston? We are getting in on Friday around noon.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:39 am

Nick Morris wrote:17 days away Nancy!!  It will be here sooner than you know it.  

When are you getting into Boston? We are getting in on Friday around noon.

I'm still having trouble believing that I'm actually doing this!

Our flight (my daughter, Katie is traveling with me again) arrives at 4pm on Friday.  We're staying at Hyatt Regency near Boston Common and decided we didn't need a rental car so will be using public transport.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Oh, you're doing it, all right. Make sure to take lots of photos and share them with us.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:15 am

FYI - I arrive Friday morning and will be doing some family stuff with my Mom that afternoon before meeting up with my daughter at the Expo later that day.  She loves the Expo and it is generally less crowded on Friday (and early Sat).  

For those in town, there is a McMillan sponsored shake-out run on Saturday morning at 9:30 from City Sports on Boylston (just down from the finish area) and on Sunday as well at 9:30 am.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:FYI - I arrive Friday morning and will be doing some family stuff with my Mom that afternoon before meeting up with my daughter at the Expo later that day.  She loves the Expo and it is generally less crowded on Friday (and early Sat).  

For those in town, there is a McMillan sponsored shake-out run on Saturday morning at 9:30 from City Sports on Boylston (just down from the finish area) and on Sunday as well at 9:30 am.

Michele...Are you planning on running Saturday or Sunday or both?

I don't think I'll get to the expo on Friday as my flight doesn't arrive till 4pm but will make a point to stop in fairly early on Saturday.

I would like to catch up with you sometime before the race...Katie has been asking about good places to watch me run past.  She was thinking maybe somewhere around the mid-way point and again a couple miles before the finish.  She'll be using public transportation.

I got in a nice 12 miler on Saturday @ 10:12.  Not a bad pace for me and it was a negative split but it felt a bit harder than I thought it should have.  I think maybe I ran a bit to hard on Thursday.

Sunday was family/Easter stuff.

Monday was carrot planting...good thing it's taper time as farming is busy!

I'll head out for an easy 5 mi later this morning...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:32 am

Not sure yet, Nancy - but I know that I'll most likely run Sunday, but maybe both.  I'm sending you a PM.  Katie can get to 15ish and 21 by the subway but it is slow going.  It is possible to catch someone twice going from 15 back to 23, but not then to the finish area.  Also it gets very crowded from miles 23 on.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Not sure yet, Nancy - but I know that I'll most likely run Sunday, but maybe both.  I'm sending you a PM.  Katie can get to 15ish and 21 by the subway but it is slow going.  It is possible to catch someone twice going from 15 back to 23, but not then to the finish area.  Also it gets very crowded from miles 23 on.

Thanks Michele...Katie isn't worried about getting near the finish line.  Sounds like miles 15 and 23 might work well. 

These taper runs sure seem like they are feeling tougher than they should...and my HR is higher than it should be.  Hopefully it's just taper issues along with maybe a few to many hours in the tractor and not overtraining or something.  I guess at this point it is what it is.

Tuesday - Got in my 5 miles as planned.  Went out a bit faster than intended so I ended up with 4 miles @ 9:35 and then a cool down mile @ 10:27

Wednesday I had the boys (ages 2 1/2 and nearly 1) all afternoon and overnight.  Now I remember why we have children when we're younger.  It's hard work!  But they are pretty good and it was fun.

Thursday - 6 miles w/4 @ 9:06  Run went well and felt OK but HR was still higher than expected. 

Carrot planting is going well.  We finished planting the males on Tuesday at noon...a day early...and weren't allowed to start planting the females until this morning.  Labor has been hard to find and we were nervous that when we doubled our crew to plant females we'd end up short handed but everyone we had lined up showed up this morning and it's a good crew.  We have 25 field workers in addition to our 2 full time workers and 3 family members.  I'm just trying to keep up with paperwork and payroll, run errands (pick up donuts for morning break), and drive when they need me.  If all goes as planned we'll finish by Wednesday and I can do payroll and bonus checks before I fly out.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm surrounded by sickness!  Several family members were sick a couple weeks ago.  I couldn't believe I didn't catch anything.  It's back!  I'm taking Emergen-C and just hoping that I don't catch anything as they are nasty bugs.  We have both a cold with chest congestion and a nasty cough and a flu of some sort that's really hitting the grandkids hard floating around the house. affraid

Last longish type run this morning.  8 mi @ 10:07.  I kept it fairly easy and it felt pretty good.

MADras Runners organized a send off for Mark and I at the local pizza place last night.  It was fun.  It's Marks first Boston also.  We got lots of advice from another local who ran two years ago.  She qualified to run again this year but opted to have another baby instead. Wink

So...I'm still nervous and not 100% sure of my goal.  My training actually went quite well even though I missed 10 days with the hamstring strain.  I just don't feel as ready as I was for my BQ marathon.  I didn't have near the base going into training this time and it shows.  My training times have all been 15-20 seconds slower.  I'd love to run a 4:15 but that may be a bit of a stretch so I'm going to try...the key is try...to keep my competitive nature at bay and start a bit slower than that and then see what happens.  I'd be pretty happy with anything under 4:20 and not to disappointed with anything under 4:30.

Not much time left...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh...7 days until Boston!!!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Stay well! Sleep helps so much.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Stay healthy and try to get as much sleep as you can! Don't worry about the pace right now. It'll be what it'll be.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:49 pm

One more grandson down with the crud today.  I'm still healthy...fingers crossed.  As if I wasn't already stressed out enough!  Trying to eat well, sleep lots, take Emergen-C and stay calm...

Should finish carrot planting this afternoon.  We did start irrigation water yesterday but it went OK...sometimes we have problems the first day.

3.25 miles this morning with 2 @ 9:17.  Felt a bit clunky and the HR was a bit high but it wasn't bad and I settled in OK after I got going.

Guess I need to start figuring out what I need to pack so I don't panic at the last minute and forget something.  I'll be on the plane in 65 hours...wait...what...I'm not ready for this. affraid
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 pm

Rest day today. 

All five members of my oldest son's family have a very contagious gastro illness.  The last time I was around them was on Saturday evening.  Fingers crossed that I don't come down with that...not sure I could fly let alone run or even walk the marathon. 

My husband had a chest cold and cough.  He's on the mend.  I have to admit I'd rather catch what he has than the other option.

So far I'm still feeling OK.  A bit of a scratchy throat and a slight headache but that may be just because I keep imagining the worst.  Still being as cautious as possible and taking the Emergen-C.

Early to bed tonight.  Packing bags tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:52 am

Egad! Being in taper is bad enough without having everybody around you succumbing to some disease or another.

Can you get an earlier flight? Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:32 pm

It sounds as if you have escaped the creeping crud.  You would have had it by now.  All is good.

Hey, I consider myself a fairly savvy gardener....but....I have never heard of male/female carrots before.  What's up with that?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum