365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survival of the fittest

+11
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
Nick Morris
Tom H
mountandog
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
15 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

2 - Survival of the fittest - Page 11 Empty Re: Survival of the fittest

Post  mountandog Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:34 am

love the idea of resetting the PRs.  Great idea.  I use one of the shoe id tags.  And yes I'm old.  Make my kids wear them too.  It's not only cardiac events, cars, dogs, muggers -- a whole bunch of risk.  Never know if you might need it.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Nancy - do you have a Road ID to wear? Seems less "old person" than one of those med alert bracelets.  You can link it to a website wear all your information is inputted (is that a word?) with medical, contacts, etc.

www.myroadid.com

+1

That's a great idea. I've used a basic Road ID before but never made use of the medical database option they provide. But I can see how it'd be extremely useful for Nancy or others with medical conditions or special medications.

I really like this idea Michele...Thanks!  Like Mark I wear one of the original Road ID on my shoe but it only includes ID and contact info.  The new interactive one provides a link to a website (or you can access the info by phone) where you can input all your medical info including medication, doctors, diagnosis etc.  AND it works overseas!!  Much better than carrying a piece of paper that the medics can't locate.  I'll opt for the dog tag style on a necklace as I have a necklace I always wear and can add it to that.  Medics know to look for it and it will be easy to locate quickly. 

That's one problem solved...now suggestions as to how to easily and discreetly carry my small bottle of nitroglycerin?  Wonder if I could figure out a way to hang it on my necklace as well...it's pretty small.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:40 am

I'm a big believer in the dog tag RoadID.  Got one for my dad and brother.

As far as the Nitro, somewhere there are little mini-Ziploc bags (but not made by Ziploc) being sold.  The little bag the RoadID dog tag is a perfect size that you can carry in your shorts' pocket.  I do that for long runs and carry S!Caps in it.  Maybe even use one of those race bib diaper pins to pin the baggie to your shorts, if you're concerned with dropping it while running.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:13 pm

ounce wrote:As far as the Nitro, somewhere there are little mini-Ziploc bags (but not made by Ziploc) being sold.  The little bag the RoadID dog tag is a perfect size that you can carry in your shorts' pocket.  I do that for long runs and carry S!Caps in it.  Maybe even use one of those race bib diaper pins to pin the baggie to your shorts, if you're concerned with dropping it while running.

The Nitro comes in a very small bottle and you're not supposed to open it till you need it as it has a short shelf life once it's open.  I can carry the bottle fine when I have a pocket or when I'm wearing my spibelt.  I guess I'll just need to make sure that I wear something that provides a space for it when I'm running , biking etc.  It's everyday life that is tougher.  I don't like to carry a purse and don't always have pockets.  I guess if that's the toughest adjustment I have to make I'll be lucky.

Not much to report.  I haven't been walking much with the HR monitor/GPS as the heat and farm/yard/house work have been all I can handle.  I have good days and then days when I'm exhausted.  Things are slowing down and it's cooling down.  I'm going to try and get some easy training type walks in next week before rehab starts on the 23rd.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:40 pm

I wonder if they make some sort of fabric bracelet with a little pouch that would hold the nitro bottle? If not, that could be pretty handy.

Don't be impatient as you slowly heal from this cardiac injury. It'll take a while, but it'll get a lot better if you just keep moving. Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm

Mark B wrote:I wonder if they make some sort of fabric bracelet with a little pouch that would hold the nitro bottle? If not, that could be pretty handy.

Don't be impatient as you slowly heal from this cardiac injury. It'll take a while, but it'll get a lot better if you just keep moving. Approval

Hey Mark...I have a fabric wrist pouch that my sister-in-law gave me to carry my car key.  That should work well.  Thanks!

And yes I know...but...

I have been feeling better.  Not good but better.  Got in a nice two mile walk on Sunday and again this morning.  They were a bit faster than I was able to do a couple weeks ago so that was encouraging.  Yesterday my niece showed up kind of unexpectedly so I took her to Smith Rock to see the baby eagles in their nest.  We didn't go for a hike but you do have to walk the trails and climb a few boulders to get a good look.  We went slowly and carefully.  It was nice to get out.

Less than a week till I go to the orientation for cardiac rehab. cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:24 am

Well, I just figured the nitro was in pill form.  Carrying a purse must be the new thing for Nancy 2.0.

I have a question completely off topic.  It involves growing corn.  You may not grow corn, but you're closer to it than I.  Down here in Corpus, I am seeing a ton of corn fields.  In fact, I run past two on the short route next to a freeway.  This one corn field looks like it should've been harvested a couple of weeks ago, as the plants are about all yellow, now, 3/4ths of the way up.

Could the owner just be using the field for its ag property tax exemption with no real desire to make it a cash crop or are they best harvested when almost all yellow?  All the corn fields certainly do not lack for water.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Joe was asking about you, Nancy - so I gave him an update.  He is happy to hear things are going in the right direction.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Have you looked at Spi belts? Maybe a little too big but they're great for holding things for runs.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:50 am

Michele...yes, moving forward.  Not as fast as I'd like but moving forward anyway.  Excited to see how rehab orientation goes on Tuesday.  They called and explained that it will mostly be discussion about my goals etc but they will hook me to an EKG and have me exercise for about 10 minutes to see how my heart responds.  That will determine what I'm allowed to do.  That explains why Dr. B wasn't willing to let me start doing any more than walking till after I started rehab.

Julie...yes, I do have a spi-belt and I will use it more now.  In the past I only carried my phone when I went off road and/or a long way from home.  I'll be carrying it all the time now.  Not happy about that but that's life...pun intended.  I have good options for carrying the nitro when I run and bike.  It's some parts of everyday life that have me baffled but I'll sort it out.  I have not had any issues with angina so maybe they'll allow me to stop carrying it.

Got in a nice 2 miles on Thursday.  It was later in the day and warm so I didn't push the pace to much but my HR stayed down where it belonged so that's good.

Decided to get out earlier on Friday when it was still cool.  Ended up doing 2.5 miles at a slightly faster pace (17:04)...seems funny to call that a faster pace but it's progress.  HR 97 which was up a beat or two but still OK.  I've been trying to stay under 100...guess I'll find out on Tuesday if that was an appropriate number to choose...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:42 pm

It sounds like you're doing really well even though I know this isn't where you wanted to be this summer...oh and another thought, and sorry if I missed it, but would your clinic have any medical holder things like you can get for an insulin pump or something to that scale?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:06 pm

I'm sure you're looking forward to that stress EKG test text week (and a little nervous). I've got my fingers crossed for you, hoping that you're much farther along post-"event" than they expect.

As far as crops go, you're part of the irrigation system, aren't you? Are your allocations the same, or are they reduced?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Good luck with the test.  When they come with the plan, if you think it's too conservative, barter with them.  If you can go farther or faster, then see if they'll adjust some or something reasonable.

That's just me, though.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:43 am

Mark B wrote:I'm sure you're looking forward to that stress EKG test text week (and a little nervous). I've got my fingers crossed for you, hoping that you're much farther along post-"event" than they expect.

As far as crops go, you're part of the irrigation system, aren't you? Are your allocations the same, or are they reduced?

Nervous is an understatement.  I think my blood pressure is going to be sky high before I even get on the treadmill!

We are part of North Unit Irrigation District (NUID).  We are a young irrigation district as far as water rights are concerned.  They started construction before the war and finished after.  Our water comes primarily from Wickiup Reservoir above Bend so it travels 90 miles before reaching our farmland.  We have a smaller allocation than the older districts but are noted for our efficient delivery system and our high value production.  Our water allocations have two parts.  The first portion is the water we receive (if available) on an annual basis by virtue of paying our maintenance fees.  The second portion is the excess water we are allowed to purchase.  We are receiving our full allocation of the first portion and have the option to purchase a small quantity of excess water if needed this year.  We are in good shape for this year.  BUT the reservoir will be extremely low at year end and due to the low snowpack will fill slowly next year. (It is fed primarily from spring water from the previous year's snow melt.)

We're more concerned about the effect the hot weather will have on pollination and seed production at this point.  The cool nights are necessary to extend the pollination period.  The predicted hot days/nights will be tough on both the bees and the plants themselves.  We'll just work to keep the plants well watered and make sure water is available near the hives for the bees...and hope the predicted weather moderates.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:59 am

ounce wrote:Good luck with the test.  When they come with the plan, if you think it's too conservative, barter with them.  If you can go farther or faster, then see if they'll adjust some or something reasonable.

That's just me, though.

Oh, I'll be bargaining for the most aggressive plan that they'll safely allow.  They said it would be based on my goals so I'll make sure they know that my goals are to get back to my old self as quickly as possible!!!  I do understand their desire to go slowly as the risk of a second heart attack is one in four.  Not very good odds for someone like me who only had less than 1% chance of having that first cardiac event. 

I'll let you know how the negotiations go.

I was pretty pooped on Saturday after my longer/faster walk on Friday plus having all 5 grandkids for dinner and three of them overnight.  Took it pretty easy on Saturday.  Walked early Sunday while it was still cool.  I extended the walk to 3 miles.  I felt pretty good but my HR was higher than I liked so I really slowed down the last mile.  Not planning to walk today but I do have some chores I need to do.  I want to make sure I'm well rested for the big day tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:08 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:I'm sure you're looking forward to that stress EKG test text week (and a little nervous). I've got my fingers crossed for you, hoping that you're much farther along post-"event" than they expect.

Nervous is an understatement.  I think my blood pressure is going to be sky high before I even get on the treadmill!

We are part of North Unit Irrigation District (NUID).  We are a young irrigation district as far as water rights are concerned.  They started construction before the war and finished after.  Our water comes primarily from Wickiup Reservoir above Bend so it travels 90 miles before reaching our farmland.  We have a smaller allocation than the older districts but are noted for our efficient delivery system and our high value production.  Our water allocations have two parts.  The first portion is the water we receive (if available) on an annual basis by virtue of paying our maintenance fees.  The second portion is the excess water we are allowed to purchase.  We are receiving our full allocation of the first portion and have the option to purchase a small quantity of excess water if needed this year.  We are in good shape for this year.  BUT the reservoir will be extremely low at year end and due to the low snowpack will fill slowly next year. (It is fed primarily from spring water from the previous year's snow melt.)

We're more concerned about the effect the hot weather will have on pollination and seed production at this point.  The cool nights are necessary to extend the pollination period.  The predicted hot days/nights will be tough on both the bees and the plants themselves.  We'll just work to keep the plants well watered and make sure water is available near the hives for the bees...and hope the predicted weather moderates.

Wickiup? Wow. I'd always assumed the irrigation water in your area came out of Lake Billy Chinook. I think I've seen your water en route in a canal that parallels US97 going through Redmond. I'll make sure to wave at it next time. Smile

Let's all hope for a big snowpack next year, or this year's problems are going to get a lot worse. As far as your pollinators go, the forecasts keep changing that far out. It seems the highs may still approach 100, but the overnight lows look better. It's a tough way of life when you have so much out of your control.

Good luck in your doctor's visit, test and negotiation.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Well, Mark, Nancy's had her appointment and she hasn't reported in on what she'll be able to do.

I think we should create a scenario on what they told her.  Do you want to play the part of Nancy or the PT?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 pm

ounce wrote:Well, Mark, Nancy's had her appointment and she hasn't reported in on what she'll be able to do.

I think we should create a scenario on what they told her.  Do you want to play the part of Nancy or the PT?

Nancy: bounce bounce bounce

Doctor: Very Happy

Nancy: Shocked

Doctor: I love you

Nancy: cheers cheers cheers

Doctor: Approval

Insurance company: Money
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:35 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, Mark, Nancy's had her appointment and she hasn't reported in on what she'll be able to do.

Nancy: bounce bounce bounce  

Doctor: Very Happy

Nancy: Shocked

Doctor: I love you

Nancy: cheers cheers cheers

Doctor: Approval

Insurance company: Money

Or possibly option #2:

Nancy:  Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running

Doctor: Shocked

Doctor:  affraid  

Nancy:  Running Running Running Running Running Running Running

Doctor:  Suspect

Nancy:  Running Running Running Running Running

Doctor:  Shots Shots

Nancy:  Running Running Running

Doctor:  drunken drunken drunken

Nancy:  Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running

Doctor:  drunken drunken drunken Approval
Nancy:  Ride

Insurance Co:  Money

Doctor: Sleep
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:38 pm

You win. jocolor
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Mark B wrote:You win. jocolor

Nah.  I was thinking a narrative, but you know a picture is worth a thousand words because, you're THE COLOMBIAN

Maybe another view of her appointment might be:

Nancy:  Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running  ( Sweaty ) Running Running Running Running Running

Doctor:  lol!

Nancy:  Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running 

Doctor:  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing No

Doctor: (my patient is:  geek )

Nancy:  Money Money Money Money Money Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running

Doctor:  Approval

Insurance company:  Flame

Nancy and Doctor:  lol!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:13 pm

You are on a roll, Ounce! Are you sure you didn't put sugar in that fudge?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Mark B wrote:You are on a roll, Ounce! Are you sure you didn't put sugar in that fudge?

Nah, the ingredients are in Houston.

Well, let's see what's in the 3rd chapter of Nancy's book:

Nancy:  Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running

Doctor:  Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead

Nancy:  ( Sad scratch study  Idea )

The next day.....

Nancy: Running Running Sleep Running Running Sleep Running Running Sleep Sleep Running Running Sleep Sleep

Doctor:  Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead

Nancy:   ( Flame confused study.    Idea )

The next day...
"I'm sorry, Nancy, but your doctor mysteriously died last night at a cemetery."

Nancy:   No   Sad   (  cheers cheers cheers cheers Approval Approval Approval Ride Ride )

"Dr. Keflezighi will be your new doctor."

Nancy:  Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running

Doctor:  Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Sleep Sleep Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running Running

Nancy:  Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:48 pm

The End.

(I'm running out of ideas with the limited number of emoticons.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:59 pm

That was entertaining!

Sorry to be so late checking in.  Not a lot to report and it's a zoo here on the farm.

So after some initial confusion due to the fact that my doctor is from out of the area and they didn't have my complete records we got things sorted out and proceeded with the scheduled agenda.  They asked me lots of questions about the "event" and also about my lifestyle etc.  Then they explained how the program works and all that.  They took my blood pressure and hooked me up to the EKG and then talked some more.

Then...I finally got on the treadmill.  She started me out at 2 mph.  I quickly convinced her I could/should go faster.  I managed to talk her into letting me do the last half of the test at 3.5 mph.  (She stood next to me and asked questions so she could make sure I could pass the talk test when she wasn't over watching the EKG monitor.)

End result.  The EKG still shows evidence of heart damage...totally expected.  They still expect me to make a full recovery.  She understands my desire to be allowed to do more and specifically to be prepared to participate in the MAC Dash (pool based sprint tri) on Sept 12th.  She thinks that's doable.  I'm scheduled for a full session (one hour with 40 minutes of exercise) on Friday afternoon.  She wants me to complete that before she calls Dr. B with my request(s).  She sounded encouraging but that is her job...

On Friday I also need to let them know how many days per week and which class time(s) I want to commit to.  They are somewhat flexible but need a schedule so everyone doesn't show up at the same time.  I can go 1,2, or 3 days a week.  The program is 36 sessions but my insurance only covers 20 sessions.  It's my choice how many I complete...we'll see how helpful they are.  It sounds like they are going to have me do some jogging on the treadmill while I'm being monitored at least a couple times before they turn me loose to jog on my own.  Based on that I'm thinking about starting out with 3 days per week even though we're pretty busy on the farm.  It's an hour drive each way so I'm going to spend twice as much time in the car as time in rehab but Marty and I both think it's a priority.  I can cut down to 1 or 2 days per week as I have more freedom to exercise at home and that will extend my eligibility to attend the education they also offer.

As an interesting side note.  As you can imagine I've been getting all kinds of nice letters from the insurance company, primarily informing me that it will take longer than 30 days to process my claims and they are required by law to inform me of that.  Each letter lists the provider and the $ amount.  They were trickling in and were actually not as much as I expected...then the actual hospital bill arrived.  It's 6 figures!!!!!  Even with our high deductible policy we are going to finally get some good out of our health insurance.

Also...I had been trying to walk 3 days per week similar to my running schedule prior to my event.  She encouraged me to go ahead and walk everyday if possible.  So...I walked 3 miles Tuesday after returning home from rehab.  I walked 3 miles again this afternoon after baling hay all morning.  It was in the low/mid 80's both days but there was a slight breeze.  Tues...Pace 17:58, HR 97   Wed...Pace 17:48, HR 91.  That was a pleasant surprise.  I expected to have trouble with my HR today.  The last time I walked two days in a row my HR soared.

I'll try and post more promptly after my full session on Friday but it is an afternoon session and I am on the west coast so...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum