365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survival of the fittest

+11
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
Nick Morris
Tom H
mountandog
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
15 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Survival of the fittest - Page 14 Empty Re: Survival of the fittest

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Well, I know we are all Type A around here - but Nancy, just focus on getting to the line and finishing.  No worries about time or how fast you can run after the bike - just finishing for now!  Keep up the great work.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:49 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well, I know we are all Type A around here - but Nancy, just focus on getting to the line and finishing.  No worries about time or how fast you can run after the bike - just finishing for now!  Keep up the great work.

+1

And good news on the fire. It looks like the weather is turning cooler and wetter, at least for now. Hope it makes its way to the east side and you.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:08 am

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well, I know we are all Type A around here - but Nancy, just focus on getting to the line and finishing.  No worries about time or how fast you can run after the bike - just finishing for now!  Keep up the great work.

+1

And good news on the fire. It looks like the weather is turning cooler and wetter, at least for now. Hope it makes its way to the east side and you.

Mark...we had some cooler weather but no rain.  It was a bit windy but still a nice break.

Michele & Mark...my sane self realizes that finishing safely is much more important than my time this year.  I'm just worried about controlling my competitive self.  affraid

With the cooler weather I was feeling comfortable with starting in the appropriate heat based on my swim time but race day is predicted to be HOT.  I emailed the race director and requested an earlier start so I can run before it gets to hot. 

I'm feeling pretty good about my readiness to swim and OK about my readiness to bike.  The running has been the toughest for me.  Fortunately it's only 3 miles.

We've been tapering a bit with our swimming and have our last swim planned for tomorrow morning.  I biked the course on Sunday and did fine...a bit slow but totally acceptable.  I ran 3 miles yesterday and had to slow a bit to keep my HR at a rate I was comfortable with.  Not what I'd hoped but it will have to do.  I still haven't practiced the bike to run transition so I'm planning to do a short bike ride followed by a short run today just to give myself the peace of mind that I've done it at least once prior to the race.  We're getting pretty busy on the farm but I'll try and squeeze in some activity but not to much in the last couple days leading up to the race on Saturday.

I enjoy this event as much for the social aspect as the competition...I just hope I can remember that and enjoy the social part of it on race day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:26 pm

I think the race director and Dr. B are conspiring to keep me safe.  Based on my swim time I should have been in either heat 4 or 5 starting at 8:45 or 9:00.  I requested heat 3 starting at 8:30.  The race director informed me that she put me in heat 1 starting at 7:30.  I was concerned about messing things up as some lanes have 3 people and you have to circle swim...doesn't work when your pace is off by to much.  She made sure I was in a lane with only one other person so we'll just swim side by side.  She said my health was more important than swimming in the right heat and was happy to make the necessary adjustments.

It's supposed to be 95 degrees on race day but I should be finished shortly after 9:00.

Short bike/run workout yesterday.  Short swim today.  Taper time...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:13 pm

Well, would you look at this...I step away for a couple of weeks and come back to find that you have had a lot of progress.  I am excited that you are back to competing again, but as Mark stated, it is better to just worry about getting to the finish.  Think that you'll have any MADNESS during taper time?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Well, would you look at this...I step away for a couple of weeks and come back to find that you have had a lot of progress.  I am excited that you are back to competing again, but as Mark stated, it is better to just worry about getting to the finish.  Think that you'll have any MADNESS during taper time?

Shhhh Nick...I'm not competing...I'm participating. Wink

As far as madness goes the only madness during taper was on the farm.  3 straight days stuck in the tractor all day are not conducive to preparing to race.  Oh well...we did finish carrot harvest and made good headway on the last cutting of hay.  My legs were pretty stiff but maybe that was a gentle reminder that this wasn't meant to be a race.

So...race day went well.  I was kind of embarrassed to be swimming in the first heat but it was probably the safest plan and most people realized why so it was OK.  My swim went well...only a few seconds slower than my best swim.  My first transition seemed slow but once again I only lost a few seconds.  I was the first biker on the course and I took off a bit to fast but reined myself in before I did any damage.  I settled into a nice pace and finished about 3 1/2 minutes off my best time.  My 2nd transition went well.  I was concerned about the run.  The bike course ends with a tough hill and the run has a tough hill in the second half of the first mile.  My arms and legs were feeling a little tingly so I really held back during that first mile.  I was probably more conservative than necessary on the run but I hadn't gone this long or this hard since Boston and wasn't willing to take chances.  The run finishes with 3/4 of a lap around the track.  The family was all waiting for me as I entered the track and I made sure the grandkids all got high 5's.  I also let them know I wanted the grandkids to cross the finish line with me.  They were waiting for me at the finish line and I jogged across the finish line with all 5 grandkids.  Perfect finish...after all they are the reason I started this adventure back in 2007!

Official time 1:28:21  PR in 2013 1:20:27  First year (2008) 1:29:53  I'm quite happy with my time and more importantly I felt fine afterward.  It felt great to get back out there and I'm honored by the support and concern shown by the community...especially the running community...in Madras.  It was a pretty special day.

There are only 6 people who have participated every year since this event started in 2008.  They introduced us and held a drawing for a couple prizes.  I won 4 courtside seats at a Blazers game. cheers  I'll be in Dallas, Texas visiting a friend that weekend but my family is excited.

Oh I almost forgot to mention.  My daughter Katie, came home to watch for the first time...she was with me in Boston.  And, my oldest son, Gary, decided to participate this year.  He bought a bike last Saturday...swam on Monday and raced yesterday.  He did fine (1:17:13) and had a lot of fun.  His wife, Shannon, was the biker on a team.  His oldest daughter, Emma, put together a team with her friends.  She was the swimmer.  His two younger daughters, Izzy & Abby participated in the mini-Mac.  It's a hoot to watch!  Kevin and Natalie's boys are still to young to participate but I'm sure they'll be out there soon and I expect Kevin and Natalie to join in when the family is a bit easier to manage.

Up early this morning and back on the tractor for a few hours.  I have a couple hours off and then will be back on the tractor this afternoon and evening.  Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Wow, congratulations!! I'm so glad you're doing so well.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:29 pm

I can't imagine a better comeback, or a better place to enjoy it. Well done!

It's great to see what an inspiration you've been to others in your family. That must feel wonderful.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:56 pm

Fantastic, Nancy!  I told Joe of your exploits and he said to pass along his "congrats" as well.  Must make you feel great that you did it and you even beat your first time ever.  Inspiration at its best!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:54 pm

nkrichards wrote:Not much to report other than we traveled home on Sunday.  It was a very long day but I did OK.  Monday was tiring as I had so much to catch up on once I got home...payroll, mail, phone messages etc.  I do tire easily and I do everything at about half speed but I can tell that I am improving each day.  I'm headed up to see my primary care doctor here in Madras today.  I want to make sure they have my records...especially my medication info...in the local system and even though I'm feeling OK I'm going to have them take a listen and check my blood pressure.  Not really worried but I think it will ease my mind.  I don't see the cardiologist in Portland till May 13th and I'm on some pretty hefty medication.

The first race in the local 10K series is this weekend.  I placed 2nd the last two years.  They have expanded it to include a 5K series.  I'll volunteer this weekend...or at least watch and socialize.  Maybe I'll be able to participate in some of the races later in the year.  Swimming is one of the last things I'll be able to do...I hope I can participate in the local triathlon...I haven't missed one yet and I'd like to keep that streak going.

I'm a planner and I need goals.  This rest and recovery stuff is hard.
This quote was from April 28 and seems to be the first written about doing the triathlon.

Holy crap, Nancy!  Well done!!  Now, get back on that tractor.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks Julie, Mark, Michele, and Doug...it was a pretty special day in a lot of ways.

Sorry I kind of disappeared for a few days.  My body handled the race pretty well.  It was obvious that I hadn't pushed to hard which was good I guess.  So afterwards it was back on the tractor a bit but I did manage to find time for an awesome hike with Katie up Bald Mountain on the flanks of Mt. Hood.  It was a fantastic day.  A couple days later I took my Mom for a drive that I had promised.  We drove over McKenzie Pass and stayed in a cabin on the McKenzie River before returning to her home via the forest service roads through Ripplebrook and Estacada.  It was a beautiful drive and I enjoyed some time with her when I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere.

I have been swimming 2 or 3 times a week and running about the same.  Nothing to strenuous but enough to keep from going backwards.

Katie and I head to Boston in a week to meet up with some Australian friends.  We have a full day in Boston and then head up to the White Mountains to hike on the AT for a few days.  We finish up the week biking and kayaking in Acadia NP.  I just hope this trip to Boston is a little less exciting than the last one...and so does Katie!

Oh...I do have to stop in and see Dr. Beckerman on Monday before I go.  Other than being a bit concerned that a resting heart rate of 44 might be a bit low...as indicated by my arms and legs often getting a bit tingly I'm feeling great.  He may tell me that is his way of making sure I don't over do it...or he may tweak my medication...either way I'm pretty happy with where I'm at all things considered.

Will try and check in and report a bit more often...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Sounds like you have been wrapping up summer and starting autumn with a flourish. It sounds wonderful.

I miss the McKenzie River. Definitely need to get back there one of these days.

Definitely good to check on the low resting heart rate, but more for the tingly than the number.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Wow...busy week.

Still farming a bit.  Struggling to get the right conditions to finish up that last cutting of hay.  We need a bit of dew.

I finally was able to get my medical records from Mass General.  All 81 pages.  Not a lot of big surprises but interesting none the less.

I also got the settlement information from the insurance company.  All good there.  Boy am I glad we had insurance and a bit of money in our HSA to cover our portion.

Met with Dr. Beckerman on Monday.  He is not at all concerned with any of the symptoms/side effects that I mentioned.  He essentially said get out there and live your life.  I mentioned my concerns about the risks associated with vulnerable plaque and he said he understood but I shouldn't worry to much as the medication was supposed to help with that.  He did suggest that when I return from our winter travels we schedule some testing just to make sure everything looks good before I increase the intensity of my training.  In the meantime no restrictions other than my comfort level.

So...I'm off to Boston to hike on the Appalachian Trail for a few days...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:19 am

Fantastic news from your Doc - so most definitely go live your life and love those NH mountains for me.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:45 pm

Sounds like you're in as good a place as you can be right now, Nancy. Bravo!

Have fun on your AT adventure. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Great news! Have fun hiking!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Nancy, you are such an inspiration to us all.  I am glad that you had a great race, the doc has cleared you to live your life, and you are off to hike the Appalachians!!!  I hope that it is a wonderful trip!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks all.  We had a fantastic trip!

Katie was a bit nervous returning to Boston with me. Smile  We arrived on Thursday evening and met up with Cathy (we attended high school together in Australia 40 years ago) and her sister Wendy at the historic house I had rented near Bunker Hill.  We hailed a taxi and headed to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.  It's nice to travel with friends who encourage you to do new things.  I'm not a big museum fan but this one was really interesting.  We spent the next day walking the Freedom Trail and finished the day at the marathon finish line where Katie got a photo of me crossing...

We headed to the White Mountains early Saturday morning.  The scenery was gorgeous!  We had lunch on a fall foliage train out of Conway and then checked in to the lodge to prepare for our hike.  We headed out on the shuttle on Sunday morning after hearing how difficult the trails in that area were.  I wasn't aware that Wendy wasn't as strong a hiker as the rest of us but we made our way to the first hut slowly but surely.  The huts provide a hot dinner, bunk beds, and a hot breakfast.  They were cold but better than tenting!  They also provided great conversation.  Monday we were on the trail from 8:30 till 6:30.  It was a very long day but well worth the effort...the views were awesome.  The hike out on Tuesday was short but we stopped for photos and made a full morning of it.  Then it was off for a shower and a burger before boarding the cog train for a ride to the top of Mt. Washington.

Wednesday was spent driving to Acadia National Park stopping along the way for photos and lobster rolls.  We arrived at Bar Harbor just in time for a sunset kayak tour...fun.  The next day we got up early to enjoy the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain.  We spent the day biking the carriage roads.  Then we drove the loop road on the way to recommended place on the quiet side of the island for our last dinner together. 

After breakfast on Friday we headed for Bangor where we dropped Wendy and Cathy.  They had booked a taxi ride to Quebec City.  Katie and I made our way back to Boston for our flight home.  And the rains came...but we had enjoyed fantastic weather and an absolutely perfect trip.  I really enjoyed my time with Katie, Cathy and Wendy!

So...I'm back to the farm, the grandkids, and signed up for the Community Cardio Challenge...details in my next post.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Sounds really fun! I am definitely a museum person but glad you enjoyed the one you went to even if you don't typically seek them out!  Very Happy eager to hear about your next adventure!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed my part of the country and under much better circumstances than the last time!  The Gardner Museum is wonderful.  did they mention anything about the stolen paintings?  They have not yet been recovered and it was several years ago now that they disappeared. Glad you had fun and were so able to enjoy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Welcome back! That sounds like a great way to travel: exploring the best scenery a new region has to offer -- at hiking speed. The cog railway up Mount Washington sounds fun, too. (As did the museum.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:29 pm

Mark B wrote:Welcome back! That sounds like a great way to travel: exploring the best scenery a new region has to offer -- at hiking speed. The cog railway up Mount Washington sounds fun, too. (As did the museum.)

It was a fantastic trip...hiking, biking, kayaking...and good conversation as well.  But it is nice to be home and getting back into a routine.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed my part of the country and under much better circumstances than the last time!  The Gardner Museum is wonderful.  did they mention anything about the stolen paintings?  They have not yet been recovered and it was several years ago now that they disappeared. Glad you had fun and were so able to enjoy.

Yes Michele, they told us all about the stolen paintings and explained why their places on the wall were left blank.  I love to travel with Cathy...she's a historian by profession and even though she's Australian she knows more about US history than I do.  She exposes Katie and I to all kinds of things we wouldn't experience in the art/history world.

I/we had a great visit this time and it ended on a much better note.  Thanks for the advice concerning Boston traffic.  We parked the rental car and used taxi or public transportation and then loaded up the car and headed out of town early on Saturday morning.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:47 pm

So...here is the promised update on the Community Cardio Challenge.  It's a competition to see who can log the most minutes of cardiovascular exercise in the 50 days between Oct 5th and Nov 23rd.  We compete as individuals or 4 person teams.  Anything goes...the idea is just to get out and do something.  The area gyms and the pool offer double minute activities to try and get us to visit their facilities.  It works well.  So far I've tried a high intensity water aerobics class, a spin class and a strength training class.  I'm not normally a very social person but it has been fun to meet new people.  What I'm really enjoying is the structure and new ideas I'm exposed to.  It's a very friendly competition and just a lot of fun.

I got credit for some of my hiking, plus my biking and kayaking last week.  I've been swimming and running in addition to the double minute classes I tried.  I even started my core work this morning and threw in enough weights to make sure it qualified as cardio.

I found some muscles I haven't used in quite some time and I'm pretty sore but have been making sure I don't overdo it.  I plan to make tomorrow a rest day as the races on Saturday are double minutes so I plan to do the 10K at an easy pace.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:45 pm

So...I spent Friday in the tractor.  Not the best option for a rest day as my legs stiffened up a bit but oh well.  I kept reminding myself that the 10K was not a goal race or even a race by any stretch of the imagination.  It's merely a long group run. Smile

So I woke up Saturday morning still a bit stiff and sore from all my new activities last week but Marty wanted to do our core work and I wanted to get back into a routine so core we did.  The 10K didn't start till noon.  We got the rain that was predicted but it wasn't a heavy rain and it pretty much stopped by the end of the first mile.  We were damp but not soaked and it wasn't to cold.  I ran with my swim friend for the first mile to help me remember to take it easy.  She was only doing the 5K and wanted to walk the hill in the second mile so we parted company at the bottom of the hill.  I wasn't far behind my two daughter-in-laws but I resisted the urge to try and catch them.  The first hill went well and then we had an easier mile...mostly on a dirt road but at least it wasn't uphill.  The 4th mile was a killer hill.  Natalie was maintaining her lead but I was gaining on Shannon without trying.  I passed her on the hill and was feeling OK but the slight incline after the hill wasn't allowing my HR to fall like it should.  My HR kept rising (got up over 170) and I eventually accepted the fact that I was going to have to stop and walk it down.  Mile 5 was some rollers and I ran when I could but had to walk the hills in order to keep my HR at a level I was comfortable with.  Shannon and I exchanged the lead several times and she broke over the last hill well ahead of me.  The last mile is primarily a nice downhill and we all flew.  I gained a bit on both Natalie and Shannon but wasn't able to catch them.  Natalie finished about a block in front of me and Shannon maybe half a block if that. 

My time was 1:06.  This is a difficult course and it kicked my butt last year when I finished in just over an hour.  I wasn't disappointed with my time.  I ran hard but safe.  I will admit that stopping to walk was a tough pill to swallow.  In my mind I expected to have to walk some...I haven't done any runs this long since my cardiac event...but it was still a tough thing for me to do.

I took Sunday off.  I was pretty tired and still a bit sore.  Back to the cardio challenge this week...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum