365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Days of the Phoenix

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Days of the Phoenix

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:01 pm

There will be other jobs as I assume you work kind of on a contract basis?  No worries.  The running looks good and you are well poised to have a good race - maybe not as fast as you would like, but strong just the same.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:05 am

Mom - Contract basis, sort of.  This was for a position at an agency to GET those contracts.  So it's a whole lot of work I'm missing out on.

---

5.5mi today.  Planned to go pretty easy then hammer a .7mi hill that's also a Strava segment.  It's an average of 5% but is more like 2% for a quarter mile then 8%.  Legs were pretty wide open and pushing me to sub-8 pace for the "pretty easy" part.  At the base of the hill, I opened up the gas and went for broke.  Felt pretty broke by the time I got to .5mi, but I saw the traffic signal around the bend and knew that was the end of the segment.  Ended up pulling through for an average pace of 6:17/mi and took the KOM on Strava by almost 25sec.  Little victories.  Wink
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:13 pm

I guess you've carpet-bombed the agencies with resumes.

Little victories count up.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:26 am

Oz - Yeah, there are 4 big ones here.  The most confusing part is that the 2 that accepted me said (verbatim), "You passed the screening, of course," as if it was a given.  Which it kind of was.  And should've been (?) for the other two.  I still don't really know.

---

11.6mi progressive long run today.  I tried to strike a balance between doing too much - with just 1 week til race day - but still give myself a good race day simulation so my legs weren't shocked next Sunday.  After the first mile, splits dropped evenly from 8:08 to 7:08 before a 1.5mi cooldown.  Legs felt good and strong, albeit a little awkward.  Hard to describe, but my stride was smooth with a rough footfall.  

Next week is going to be simultaneously great - plenty of rest due to a light work week - and awful - too much free time!  But I'm definitely excited about the race and my future as a runner, so I guess that's good...  Particularly since October is looking light, so maybe I'll just take advantage of my extra time by running a lot of base miles.  After recovery, of course.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:44 am

So now the real taper starts...  Just 16mi this week pre-race.  

3mi this morning.  Felt weird running for such a short distance, but I used it as a grocery run and picked up some pasta for the week.  Slow and steady.  Legs feel a little heavy but in the normal taper way.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:34 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:So now the real taper starts...  Just 16mi this week pre-race.  

3mi this morning.  Felt weird running for such a short distance, but I used it as a grocery run and picked up some pasta for the week.  Slow and steady.  Legs feel a little heavy but in the normal taper way.

Slow, heavy-legged... a good sign! Now, how long until you start climbing the walls?
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:05 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@Mike MacLellan wrote:So now the real taper starts...  Just 16mi this week pre-race.  

Slow, heavy-legged... a good sign! Now, how long until you start climbing the walls?

I'd say by Thursday, Mark.

As far as the agencies, Mike, squeaky wheels do get the grease, like calling daily.  They get to know you a little better that way, too.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:19 am

Mark/Oz - We'll open it up to bets.  Still doing fine, as of now.  

---

There's a joke in the interpreting community that the two best words in the world are "cancelled - billable."  There's some truth to that joke, especially on days that I want to be running in the morning but didn't have the time.  

But with my newly found free time, it was time to run this morning.  

4mi w/ 2 @ MP.  More by effort than pace - started on the faster side and eased back a bit to go through a range of effort levels.  All systems go, still.  I feel very confident about this race, having had no real hiccups in training and having nailed all the important workouts.  Overall mileage has only been about 10% lower than OC was - 51 vs 57 mpw - so I don't expect fireworks, but I do expect a good strong race.  

Bib is 4886 for anyone who wants to track.

EDIT:  Okay, a SMIDGEN of taper madness - had to check the weather forecast.  42 with a real feel of 39 (7mph winds from SE) at the start.  Building clouds during, low 50s with a real feel of high 40s at the end.  Other than the first 2-3mi, that is going to feel blissful.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:49 am

That would be some great running weather!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:01 am

Indeed it would.  Fingers crossed the forecast holds.

3mi today.  A no-effort run just to get some blood flow.  Light rain and pretty empty streets.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 am

Okay, body, I'm really confused.  You're sort of fine, sort of grumpy, then sort of fine, then WHAM, you hate me.  And not the muscles, but my insides.  

After my run yesterday, the remainder of the day was spent fighting nausea, extreme fatigue, dizzy spells every time I ate...  It feels like food poisoning or something, but without the projectiles.  Or a constant hangover, but I haven't drank anything since Friday.  All I know is that it's messing with my carb-load, since I can't eat much without immediately feeling faint.  Ugh.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 am

@Mike MacLellan wrote:Okay, body, I'm really confused.  You're sort of fine, sort of grumpy, then sort of fine, then WHAM, you hate me.  And not the muscles, but my insides.  

After my run yesterday, the remainder of the day was spent fighting nausea, extreme fatigue, dizzy spells every time I ate...  It feels like food poisoning or something, but without the projectiles.  Or a constant hangover, but I haven't drank anything since Friday.  All I know is that it's messing with my carb-load, since I can't eat much without immediately feeling faint.  Ugh.

You're not supposed to change anything.  Perhaps not drinking is causing you a problem??
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Mm. Sounds fun.

So, did you bother to take your temperature? That'll help you know if you're fighting off an invader, or if your GI system just decided to liquify as a stress response.

And I trust that you're drinking something, right? Because light-headedness can happen due to dehydration. See if you can sip some Gatorade or some other calorie-laden sports beverage. Might help.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Tim - Booze is way too expensive here, so we haven't really been drinking much since arrival.  
Mark - Probably a gallon of water every day (not exaggerating).  I drink a lot of water.  Always have.  

I feel like part of the dizziness was from not eating enough, which was caused by the nausea...  Case in point - my head feels kind of fuzzy, but it's because I've only taken in around 800kcal today.  Fortunately, my stomach feels normal again, so I'm having another go at the oatmeal I made this morning.  So far, so good.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Hospitals typically use 30 minutes as a gauge for whether you're going to barf from ingesting food or keep it down.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Hang in there Mike, you'll get through this in time to carb up and put all your training to good use!
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Good that your guts are settling down. How long until this race? If it's this weekend, you've got plenty of time to load, and now that you carb-depleted, your body will pack in glycogen like nobody's business!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:34 am

Oz - Thanks for the visual.  
Tom - We're comin' around.
Mark - Fingers crossed.

I was able to take in around 2200kcal total yesterday.  Not quite the 3000 I'd hoped for, but better than nothing.  Hoping for 3000 today and tomorrow.  Stomach a bit tender this morning, which seems to be the trend.  Hard mornings, eases up during the day.  I've realized that Aileen may be onto something with her dx of stress/anxiety.  I do notice a correlation with thinking about work/the race/whatever else and feeling off.  

---

4mi today.  I had a few moments thinking about the race today (little slips in confidence) that sent my HR through the roof and filled me with nervous energy.  Okay, maybe this is my body's response to this taper - not so much mental jitters as smooth muscle ones?  

Overall, run felt like a taper run should.  Moments of good, moments of bad, but enough to open up the legs.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Sounds like you're over the hump.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Have to agree with Ounce, looks like you dodged the bullet.  As Mark points out, there is a school of thought that recommends starving the body of carbs for a few days before loading it up, so who knows, this may work out in your favor!
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:40 pm

You SAY you're not in taper madness, but your gut suggests something else.

I remember that, in the days before what turned out to be my best race yet, I would have sworn that I'd spontaneously developed an ulcer, chron's and IBS. My brother-in-law was frantically offering me all sorts of remedies, but the only cure was that moment after the gun fired and it was go time.

You'll be fine.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks all. I feel pretty good today and am ready for a strong race tomorrow. Hope to run well and give you some good feels while you track.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:28 am

Good luck today!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks Nick. You too. Looks like very similar weather for us...
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:51 am

Well we're looking at 40 for the start right now (39 in the car) and next to zero wind. Jitters are here. For you tracking, the plan is to be on 3:15 pace by mile 7, settle into whatever is comfortable and leaves enough in the tank for Summit. So no freaking out about a slow first 5k. It typically is. Wink
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top