365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Ice Age 50 Race Report

Go down

Ice Age 50 Race Report

Post  Sara Jane on Tue May 13, 2014 6:54 pm

I haven't been here for a while...but I pop in (snoop!) now and then to see what everyone is up to. Since this forum (well, the V-team) was there helping me along when I first got really into all of this distance running nonsense (in 2006), I thought I'd share my race report from the Ice Age 50 this past weekend. It was an amazing experience. As I posted here a while back, I was originally supposed to run the JFK 50 but got injured. Since this 50-mile challenge was part of a fundraiser I was doing, I had to find a replacement race once I was healthy. I picked Ice Age. Even thought it didn't go quite as I had hoped, I highly recommend this race...and training for an ultra. It's been a life-changing experience. Thanks to everyone on here who has supported me over the past 8 years. I've appreciated your advice and encouragement muchly! 

http://runsjbrun.blogspot.com/2014/05/ice-age-50-miler-race-report.html

-SJB
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ice Age 50 Race Report

Post  ounce on Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Gratz, Sara Jane!  You should stop by more often and you don't have to lurk.   Very Happy
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed May 14, 2014 9:00 am

Great run, Sara Jane!  You looked like you were indeed having fun.  JFK still has open spots you know.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp on Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 am

Good run even if it didn't end up how you ultimately wanted. I get that finger swelling too. It seems for me to be a delicate balance with electrolytes.  I tend to get puffy if I take in too much sodium.  So a lot of gatorade and Nuun tabs and such will get me swollen, but so also will dehydration.  It makes it hard to judge where I am in terms of that at times and can be rather frustrating. Lately I have gone to more water and less gatorade etc., even when I had a bunch of salt on my skin, which helped, but then I sometimes find myself lacking for fuel which I like to get from gatorade and gels. It definitely is a challenge to find the right balance!
carleenp
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed May 14, 2014 10:12 am

It sounds like a good experience, despite the need to drop early. I have no doubt you'll get to the root of the problem and fix it for next time. In the meantime, recover well and enjoy your new distance PR. Smile

Also, many congratulations on completing your journey at Georgetown! Well done!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed May 14, 2014 1:06 pm

Very nice job! Too bad you had to drop out, but it was the right choice. I agree that you might have had too much sodium and needed more water.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu May 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi Sara!! Thanks for stopping by and sharing. Sorry that the race didn't go the way that you wanted, but it's a great course to run along. I ran a half marathon a few years back along that course.

Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane on Sat May 17, 2014 9:47 am

Hey - thanks everyone for checking out the report! 

Ounce: We'll see. Wink Keeping up with the one blog was a big challenge!

Michele: Thanks! And no. No. Way. Yes, I had fun...but the time commitment was such that it will be a while before I train for another 50 miler again. Also I am getting the heck out of the DMV (DC/MD/VA) and looking forward to it! Smile

Carleen: Thanks for all of your tips and ideas. I really appreciate the feedback. 

Mark: Thanks! It was an amazing experience (the race, not law school!) - and yes, I am at least proud that nutrition seemed to be my only major problem. 

Jim: I agree. And thanks for the congrats!

Nick: It IS a great course. I loved it out there. Beautiful trails and wonderful event.
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe on Sat May 17, 2014 10:51 am

Awesome. I can't think of a better way to end law school. I suspect you'll do a 50K again and finish.  Randy Egge posted FB pics and he looked like hell so I suspect conditions were tougher than you let on in the report.

Good luck with the bar and with the start of your legal career.
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat May 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Oh SJ - I'm just going to be at JFK - so it was for purely selfish reasons.  I'm very proud of you for both accomplishments, and you know it! Someday we will run Grandma's together for fun. - I just hope that someday, I don't need you to represent me in court Wink
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz on Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 am

Hey SJ, you did very well indeed. And you absolutely made the right call by stopping when you got dizzy. I don't know if dizziness is related to finger swelling. I've had finger swelling but no dizziness. Unfortunately I haven't figured out what causes the fingers to swell or stops it.

Congrats on your graduation from Law School. Sorry we won't be seeing you on the trails here in the DMV. Best wishes to you wherever you decide to practice.
KBFitz
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane on Tue May 20, 2014 8:17 am

@KBFitz wrote:Hey SJ, you did very well indeed. And you absolutely made the right call by stopping when you got dizzy. I don't know if dizziness is related to finger swelling. I've had finger swelling but no dizziness. Unfortunately I haven't figured out what causes the fingers to swell or stops it.

Congrats on your graduation from Law School. Sorry we won't be seeing you on the trails here in the DMV. Best wishes to you wherever you decide to practice.

Thanks Kevin! I am certain I'll catch up to you again in the future. Thanks for all your support.
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Great run Sarah sorry the finish wasn't what you planned on.That being said, you picked a "hard" race! I ran the 50k out there and your out and back is up cliffs with huge elevation! you are a warrior and did great! I have to admit I got a little bitter at the end every time I had to get off the track for the "faster people" I was tired and little grumpier than you about it. I loved that race too, it's so well put on and I love the the ultra atmosphere I'm training for my first 50 and I'm scared............. training is going ok but as you know it's a lot of miles! maybe sometime we will meet at a race good luck in the future!
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:56 pm

@amyjoann wrote:Great run Sarah sorry the finish wasn't what you planned on.That being said, you picked a "hard" race! I ran the 50k out there and your out and back is up cliffs with huge elevation! you are a warrior and did great! I have to admit I got a little bitter at the end every time I had to get off the track for the "faster people" I was tired and little grumpier than you about it. I loved that race too, it's so well put on and I love the the ultra atmosphere I'm training for my first 50 and I'm scared............. training is going ok but as you know it's a lot of miles! maybe sometime we will meet at a race good luck in the future!

Thanks! Best of luck to you on your way to 50. 40.3 was definitely plenty for me!  Laughing
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:48 pm

We're kind of in the same boat. I too was supposed to have run JFK for my first but had gotten injured. I am now training for Vermont but I don't have to deal with Law School, so great job getting through the training and into the race. Smart to call it a day when you did. There's a big difference between running through the hurt and a potential medical problem. Congrats all around.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:54 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:We're kind of in the same boat. I too was supposed to have run JFK for my first but had gotten injured. I am now training for Vermont but I don't have to deal with Law School, so great job getting through the training and into the race. Smart to call it a day when you did. There's a big difference between running through the hurt and a potential medical problem. Congrats all around.

Thanks Alex! Best of luck to you.
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Sorry about the DNF, but congrats on finishing law school!
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:18 pm

Congrats on finishing law school and congrats on running farther than most of us will ever dream of even if you didn't get to finish! I always appreciate hearing about someone making a wise decision even if it's not what he or she really wants, it sounded like you made the appropriate choice. Now do you have to pass the bar still?
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:18 pm

@Julie wrote:Congrats on finishing law school and congrats on running farther than most of us will ever dream of even if you didn't get to finish! I always appreciate hearing about someone making a wise decision even if it's not what he or she really wants, it sounded like you made the appropriate choice. Now do you have to pass the bar still?

Thanks Julie! I appreciate your comment. (And you too Dave P!)

I took the NY bar last week...but it sorta doesn't matter if I pass or not. Ha. I am not going into traditional law practice, rather, I am going back to my pre-law school career. (Anyone who I met when I first joined the (V-team) boards may remember that at that time I was on tour with a Broadway show...anyway, I am going back to my love of managing Broadway theater...) So yes, I hope I pass...but no, I don't have to!  Very Happy 

Best to you in running and everything else. And thanks again.
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down