365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

"No Pressure"

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: "No Pressure"

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:55 pm

07.08.14 - 6 miles

The first run of Week 7 found my short mid week runs bumped up to 6 miles. My weekly mileage creeps over the 50 mile mark for the first time this training cycle this week. 80 degrees and windy at the start of my run. It was either warm or nice depending on which way I was running. One way the wind was at my back and the other in my face. Either way, it was a great night for a run and I felt really good during the run. I completed 6.32 miles at a 7:39 average pace. Mid week sorta long run, as Hal calls it, is at 9 miles tomorrow...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Normally during every training cycle I choose a song as my theme song for the training cycle. This year I am struggling to find a good motivational theme song from today's music. Hopefully something will come along before I am done...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 am

@Nick Morris wrote:Normally during every training cycle I choose a song as my theme song for the training cycle.  This year I am struggling to find a good motivational theme song from today's music.  Hopefully something will come along before I am done...

Try this:

mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:46 pm

@mul21 wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Normally during every training cycle I choose a song as my theme song for the training cycle.  This year I am struggling to find a good motivational theme song from today's music.  Hopefully something will come along before I am done...

Try this:

Yeah, I have thought about that one, but I'm not sure.  I also have thought about this one, because I could tie in the running theme...

Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:52 pm

07.09.14 - 9 miles

Man it feels good to have things start coming together. I had a great run this evening on a great day for a run. I ended up completing 9.27 miles at a 7:36 pace. Yes, that is 3 seconds per mile faster than last night's pace with 3 more miles covered. I did not really exert myself at all and just ran by feel...and man did it feel good. That being said, I am going to try to hold myself back a little tomorrow night, as I get set for my first 20 miler of the training cycle this weekend...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 am

My first thought for music was "Why Don't We Get Drunk" by Jimmy Buffet, but then I read where you want "today's" music.  But if you play it today, isn't that today's music?  Neutral 

Nice run, too.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:01 pm

07.10.14 - 6 miles

Another 6 miles tonight...like I said last night, I wanted to pull on the reigns a little due to my mileage this weekend. That is exactly what I did. I wanted to run the mileage tonight with an average pace of 7:45 and I completed the 6.26 miles at a 7:44 pace. I good way to finish the mid week running. Tomorrow is an off day...time to rest up.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 am

@Nick Morris wrote:07.10.14 - 6 miles

Another 6 miles tonight...like I said last night, I wanted to pull on the reigns a little due to my mileage this weekend.  That is exactly what I did.  I wanted to run the mileage tonight with an average pace of 7:45 and I completed the 6.26 miles at a 7:44 pace.  I good way to finish the mid week running.  Tomorrow is an off day...time to rest up.

Well-played, grasshopper. You'll be in a good position for your 20-miler this weekend.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:39 am

@Mark B wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:07.10.14 - 6 miles

Another 6 miles tonight...like I said last night, I wanted to pull on the reigns a little due to my mileage this weekend.  That is exactly what I did.  I wanted to run the mileage tonight with an average pace of 7:45 and I completed the 6.26 miles at a 7:44 pace.  I good way to finish the mid week running.  Tomorrow is an off day...time to rest up.

Well-played, grasshopper. You'll be in a good position for your 20-miler this weekend.

That's the plan. Although the first 20 of the cycle is just a get me through this kind of run. I am not really focused on a pace, but after that, I then start to focus on the pace I am running them in.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:55 am

07.11.14 - Scheduled Off Day

It's Friday, so that means a scheduled off day. Time to rest up for a 29 mile weekend. I have had a good week of running, so far, as I have seen another bump up in my weekly mileage. Tonight, the little lady and I are going to Milwaukee to take in another Brewers game. We are hoping to get them out of the funk that they have been in for the last couple of weeks. Enjoy your day!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:57 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:07.11.14 - Scheduled Off Day

It's Friday, so that means a scheduled off day.  Time to rest up for a 29 mile weekend.  I have had a good week of running, so far, as I have seen another bump up in my weekly mileage.  Tonight, the little lady and I are going to Milwaukee to take in another Brewers game.  We are hoping to get them out of the funk that they have been in for the last couple of weeks.  Enjoy your day!!

Can't blame it on the Astros, they're in 4th place after sweeping, then swapping places with the Rangers.  The state of Texas has a lock on crappy teams, so far.  Enjoy the game.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:12 pm

It's Friday, so that means a scheduled off day.  Time to rest up for a 29 mile weekend.  I have had a good week of running, so far, as I have seen another bump up in my weekly mileage.  Tonight, the little lady and I are going to Milwaukee to take in another Brewers game.  We are hoping to get them out of the funk that they have been in for the last couple of weeks.  Enjoy your day!!
9 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday?
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:03 pm

@Jim Lentz wrote:

You got it. Aside from a step back week every third week, all of my Sunday runs are 20 milers. Saturdays, on the other hand, will creep up to and top out at 14 miles.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@Jim Lentz wrote:

You got it.  Aside from a step back week every third week, all of my Sunday runs are 20 milers.  Saturdays, on the other hand, will creep up to and top out at 14 miles.

Sounds like a good plan. Will Saturdays become pace runs?
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 am

@Mark B wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:
@Jim Lentz wrote:

You got it.  Aside from a step back week every third week, all of my Sunday runs are 20 milers.  Saturdays, on the other hand, will creep up to and top out at 14 miles.

Sounds like a good plan. Will Saturdays become pace runs?

I originally had some Saturdays done as pace runs, but Jim talked me into doing some mid week tempo runs instead. I do have a HM lined up in September, as well, so there are definitely chances to work on speed.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:12 pm

07.12.14 - 9 miles

My great week of training continued this morning. Even though it was extremely humid, it couldn't stop me from putting in a good training run. 74 with 80% humidity as my friend Pete and I headed out for our run. It was definitely a bath out there, but I still managed 9.37 miles at an 8:00 pace, which is around a minute slower than my marathon pace. I felt way better after this 9 miles than I did at the halfway point of my 18 miler 2 weeks ago. I can definitely feel the progression kicking in. Tomorrow is my first 20 miler of the training cycle and the weatherman is calling for similar temps and humidity like today. My goal for the first 20 is to just get through it and worry about pace on the next ones. Jenny will be running with us for the first part tomorrow, so she should keep my pace down for the first part. That should help towards the end.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm

07.13.14 - 20 miles

My first 20 miler of the training cycle!! Of course, it was a warm and humid morning. 71 degrees at 6am, but the one thing going for me was the cloud cover. That was until my turn around at 10 miles. That's when the sun came out and the temp really began to rise. The worst is running along the lake when the sun is out, because you get the direct sun, plus the reflecting heat off of the water is brutal. I plugged on, though, and felt surprisingly well at the 16 mile mark. I continued on, and while I did fade a little at the end, I was able to complete 20.42 miles at an 8:26 pace. The best part was that my average HR was 130, which is the lowest that my HR has been this training cycle.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 am

Nice job on the 20!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:59 am

@Jim Lentz wrote:Nice job on the 20!

Thanks Jim!! Feeling faster everyday...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:50 pm

That HR average looks quite good (and gratz by the way).  What % of max is the 130?
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:59 pm

@ounce wrote:That HR average looks quite good (and gratz by the way).  What % of max is the 130?

Thanks Doug!

130 is 70% of my max (185). The first half of the run the average was 127, so it did go up a little with the stress on my body from the run and weather.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:02 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@ounce wrote:That HR average looks quite good (and gratz by the way).  What % of max is the 130?

Thanks Doug!

130 is 70% of my max (185).  The first half of the run the average was 127, so it did go up a little with the stress on my body from the run and weather.
This is a good indicator of your improving endurance.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:29 am

07.14.14 - Cross-Training

Monday was a cross-training day, so I hit up the gym for some weight training and core work. After the gym, I had softball, where we continued to show our league dominance by winning another one to stay undefeated in the second half of the season. Since we won the first half, if we also win the second half there will be no need for a playoff.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:10 pm

It seems like the new weather buzzword is "polar vortex". And with that, it looks like a "polar vortex" is happening to Wisconsin in the middle of July!! Today's high temp is supposed to be 65 degrees, which while it makes great running weather, it is a bit cold for my summer liking. Oh well, I guess you just have to roll with what you are dealt...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:10 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:It seems like the new weather buzzword is "polar vortex". And with that, it looks like a "polar vortex" is happening to Wisconsin in the middle of July!!  Today's high temp is supposed to be 65 degrees, which while it makes great running weather, it is a bit cold for my summer liking.  Oh well, I guess you just have to roll with what you are dealt...

Just send that weather down here, so I can assess whether I like a 65 degree high in July.   Cool
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top