365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Looking for race advice for HM to get into NYC full.

Go down

Looking for race advice for HM to get into NYC full.

Post  Dave P on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:40 pm

My fall race plans have changed thanks to the NYRR. I had planned on racing Grete's Great Gallop (13.1) on Oct 5th in order to get a guaranteed/ no-lottery entry for the NYC full in 2015. However, NYRR decided to change the race & make it a 10 miler, so there goes those plans up in smoke. NYRR has another half on Staten Island on Oct 12th, but the logistics of getting to & staying the night in NYC is difficult enough w/o adding the extra distance & effort to get to Staten Island. I'm willing to do what it takes for the marathon, but it just seemed to much trouble for the Staten Island half. Therefore, I've signed up for the Hartford marathon, which is reasonably priced & in my back yard. Yet, if I get a qualifying time, I still have the "special" lottery to deal with since it's not a NYRR race. Here's the question,... what about the NYC half in March? Getting to & staying in Manhattan isn't quite as cumbersome to me as Staten Island. Any feedback from you folks on the NYC half race? I think I remember that NYRR allows late qualifying for that year's marathon for two races; Boston & the NYC half. Am I remembering that correctly? I'm trying to wrap my head around all the possibilities to try to get a slot for the NYC marathon & finally get to actually run it. Should I sign up for the NYC half when it opens as a backup race to get into the full?

btw, in case you're wondering, my qualifying time that I will need is 1:29 - unless the rules change again. My current PR from last yr's Hartford half is 1:29:22
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for race advice for HM to get into NYC full.

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:54 pm

I can only tell you that I ran a non-NYRR half marathon in under the qualifying time and got in as did Jerry and Gobbles, I believe.  I believe we went into a "preferred" lottery for the entry.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down