365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1L Takes Manhattan

+16
Penelope
Schuey
KBFitz
fostever
mul21
Gobbles
Tom H
Chris M
JohnP
Julie
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Jim Lentz
ounce
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
20 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

1L Takes Manhattan Empty 1L Takes Manhattan

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Time to gear up and start a new blog.  As you can tell, I'm once again attempting to run the NYC marathon.  After the cancelled race in 2012, I decided to take my refund and I wasn't sure that I'd go back, but with a guaranteed entry, friends who wanted to run, and my love for the city, I'm headed back.  I'm still having some issues getting out of a running funk, the weather has been bi-polar which certainly doesn't help, and my left calf/achilles/heel has been a bit wonky from running up/down hills here in western NY.  A thing that they are just not that familiar with back in Ohio.  I've also been so busy with a 125th Celebration for an organization that I belong to here that I have not been able to devote time to the gym for these last couple of weeks, and that is what usually gets my calf/achilles/heel all stretched out so that this doesn't happen or last so long.  The celebration is this coming Sunday, so after that I really have no excuses.  I know that stretching and strengthening are the key, and I have to get back to the gym very soon.  

I'm running pretty light mileage right now as I have been super crazy busy, but once this all ends, I'll hopefully be ramping it up a bit.  It will be interesting to see how I fair at the half marathon (that I always run in July) come the 20th since I've struggled with the long runs so far this summer. The course is; however, very flat, so really all you generally have to contend with in the summer is the heat and humidity.  Last year, my calf/achilles/heel was bugging me too over the first few weeks, but we got a break in temps that day, and I ran the fastest I had run there in a long time.  Who knows what this year may bring.  This weekend we had cooler temps, but the humidity was ridiculous - this morning, the temps were back to the low 70s but the humidity was only 66% and it felt easy.  A few weeks ago, I ran 6 in 90F weather, but the humidity was 50% - yup, you guessed it, fairly easy.  

Officially training for NY begins on the 21st - so I really don't need to worry until then - right???

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

1L Takes Manhattan Empty Re: 1L Takes Manhattan

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:04 pm

You've got plenty of time - let that Achilles/calf sort itself out, and make sure you're healthy for whenever/wherever our paths cross in August.  Wink

Also, Manhattan*
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:You've got plenty of time - let that Achilles/calf sort itself out, and make sure you're healthy for whenever/wherever our paths cross in August.  Wink

Also, Manhattan*
 I have always said I'm not the best speller or typist.  I fixed it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 pm

I think having a goal race on the schedule and a training program to follow, will get you out of that funk. Good luck with your training!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:21 am

Nick Morris wrote:I think having a goal race on the schedule and a training program to follow, will get you out of that funk.  Good luck with your training!!

And it's not like you don't know the course, too.  Best of luck, young lady.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 am

and so the journey begins again.  Good luck.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 am

Go get 'em!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:21 am

Boy, do I get the concept of a "running funk" - especially with a bipolar component! I think having such a tantalizing goal on the horizon is going to help you work through it. If that doesn't work, just remember about the chance to eat a lot of apples. Big Apples.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Mark B wrote:Boy, do I get the concept of a "running funk" - especially with a bipolar component! I think having such a tantalizing goal on the horizon is going to help you work through it. If that doesn't work, just remember about the chance to eat a lot of apples. Big Apples.

I'll think of it as making "apple pie" and apple pie is my favorite type of pie.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:57 am

I love apple pie. I'm sure the mind and body will respond in full once it realizes you have that big goal out there.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:47 am

Runs are still tough and I'm not sure why.  Of course it could be the schedule that I've been following the last few weeks for this event on Sunday and the fact that I am no longer a college student who can exist and function of 5 hrs of sleep.  Once again I had to g up a 4 am to take my daughter's roommate back to the Buffalo airport the morning after I had driven my MIL to Cleveland and back.  Way too much time in the car - and yup, my running suffers.

I did finally get to the gym today and I have not lost as much "gym" fitness as I suspected.  That was good but I might be sore tomorrow.  We will see. Only 16 miles yet this week, but some quality in there.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:38 pm

This morning was glorious with a temp of 57F and even with high humidity (84%), it was a great day to be running.  Knocked out 12.5 miles with a solid climb at mile 10 and never looked back.  Who knows what brings these days, but I'm not complaining.  

And I must admit, as a non-believer, I know have a new found respect for King James.  http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

Cleveland really needs him and he grew up and realized it.  I'll never be a big pro-basketball fan, and I was never a LeBron fan especially after he dissed the city the way he did, but he has matured and realized that his hometown needs him to survive.  Thanks, LeBron - I might even come to a Cavs game and cheer for you rather than jeer at you.

He, himself said it best,    "In Northeast Ohio, nothing is given.  Everything is earned.  You work for what you have."  Having lived there again for a couple of years, he is so right.  Thanks to LeBron, I have new found faith.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:15 am

Well, the big event I'm involved with is tomorrow and the weather forecast is for 80% chance of rain and sever thunderstorms with 1" of rain predicted.  Oh joy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well, the big event I'm involved with is tomorrow and the weather forecast is for 80% chance of rain and sever thunderstorms with 1" of rain predicted.  Oh joy.

That does not sound like much fun. Bring a rain poncho Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:19 pm

"Real life" sucks sometimes, eh?  Glad to hear your long(er) run went well, at least.  Have we revealed what the big event is?  I'm bad at remembering things.

EDIT:
Just kidding, you mentioned it.  Well, it's the thought that counts...?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:09 am

How was the weather for the event?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:26 am

Hope it went well and that your achilles is behaving. I would definitely want that all taken care of before the marathon training begins but I know you're a seasoned runner and very smart so you'll do just fine.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Well the event is over and we weathered the weather (pun intended).  For the most part it was "dry" during the event, but we did have a sudden downpour/thunder storm that lasted about 20 min in hour two of the four hrs total we were out there.  This forced folks to stay put in the Auction tent and hopefully that meant that they bought/bid more.  We ended up making roughly $12k at the Auction (not everyone has paid),an additional $1300 with a pie sale (we bought these wonderful fruit pies from a local vendor (local berries, hand made crust) and sold them at a $4 profit which would be less than the gas you would spend to get one and you need to order in advance), and $75 in donations.  Not too bad.  This organization that I belong to raised $87K towards scholarships for music, art, and dance students who are here for the summer studying their craft.  Many of these kids will go on to play or practice their craft professionally (including one who won and is a choreographer for "So You Think You Can Dance").  My dancer from last year (we adopt a student for the summer and feed them, let them use laundry, etc.) was just signed as a full apprentice to the Charlotte Ballet which is a big deal for a 19 yr old kid.

Did finish the week with just over 33 miles, and now that things will calm down some for me, I hope to be able to get back into the swing of things.  I am going to run my favorite summer race (Presque Isle Half in Erie, PA) this weekend, but I have not yet decided whether I'll race or just use this as a tempo/progression run.  This will be weather dependent and dependent on how I feel.  This race is always a good gauge to tell me where I'm at, and it is flat, flat, flat which is a nice change to hills, hills, hills.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Good exchange of money for products, there.  Gratz.

Is the weather still supposed to be cool for the weekend race?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:14 pm

ounce wrote:Good exchange of money for products, there.  Gratz.

Is the weather still supposed to be cool for the weekend race?
It is supposed to relatively cool in that it might only be in the low-70s which is warmer than it has been the last few mornings.  It will be the humidity that dictates things as it tends to hang in the air at Presque Isle since it is a peninsula that juts out into lake Erie.  I've run the race where it was around 65F, but you seemingly swam through the humidity fog.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:22 pm

I am glad to see that your event went off well, even with the rain.

Good luck with your race/run this coming weekend. Hopefully the competition will get you all fired up again Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks all.  Ran the Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA today in 1:44:44 for 2nd AG and 172nd (out of 1335) overall.  One of the fastest times I have run on the course and I felt pretty good the entire race.  I began to lose concentration in the last couple of miles as I was tiring, but that is to be expected as the course really is kind of boring.  The weather was weird in that it was 68F and 88% humidity and I was drenched at the finish.  Glad that I realized it was warm after warm up and I changed to a shimmel top rather than a singlet and sports bra - so less layers.  I'm pleased as my achilles/foot was a bit sore in the beginning but no worse for the wear and I feel pretty good now - just tired.  I was a bit worried about the weather as it has been very cool here the last few days (highs only in the low 70s and lows near 53F), but we have had high humidity, so running in it most likely helped me today.  I wasn't sure how I would approach the race, so I just started at what felt easy and tired to stay at a steady effort throughout.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Good work Michele!! I bet this makes you feel better heading into training and gives you the spark that you have been looking for!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks Nick and others.

My stats from this year's race are in: 2nd AG, 172nd overall, 38th Woman, 7th Master

Last year: 2nd AG, 179th overall, 41st woman, 10th master.

I did run 1:15 faster, so that is something.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks Nick and others.

My stats from this year's race are in:  2nd AG, 172nd overall, 38th Woman, 7th Master

Last year: 2nd AG, 179th overall, 41st woman, 10th master.

I did run 1:15 faster, so that is something.

Very nice Michele!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next