365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1L Takes Manhattan

+16
Penelope
Schuey
KBFitz
fostever
mul21
Gobbles
Tom H
Chris M
JohnP
Julie
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Jim Lentz
ounce
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
20 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

1L Takes Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: 1L Takes Manhattan

Post  Julie Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:51 pm

wow, great job!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks all.  I haven't been very good with this blog as it seems like I've just been super busy this summer with meetings and events.  It's like cramming a year's worth of fund raising etc into 9 wks of which only 7 are really relevant.  I don't mind being busy, but what I wouldn't give for spreading it out a bit so that I was a little bit busy during the other 43 weeks of the year.  That being said, I have been running but mostly on my own rather than with my buddies here.  Our schedules just aren't matching up.  I did run a nice long run (12 miles) with MP on Sunday morning, and while the temperatures are down significantly for July, the humidity is way up.  Very strange weather indeed.  It is amazing that you can walk outside in the morning in July into high 50s temps, but the humidity (over 90%) and the rain make running and other outdoor activities tough.  I have actually only been on my bike once all summer as it has been very wet and I am not a confident enough rider to cycle on wet roads even when it has stopped raining.  With the very high humidity, it can take all day for the roads to dry.  Other than that, my time in the middle of the day has been very compromised with all the meetings, and activities.  We had a little wine tasting event this past Saturday and made another $1100, so the events that I have chaired and co-chaired this summer are so far pretty prosperous in that we have raised over $13K so far.  My final co-chaired event is actually a "Flea Boutique" that we run here which is kind of like our own "goodwill" where people buy/sell household items and clothing.  We have netted $8k ther so far.  All of these monies go to sponsor voice, dance, music, theatre, art and opera students who come here (to Chautauqua) to study for the summer.  These students range in age from 12 to 35 (opera and theatre).  So it is fulfilling.  However, it is also time consuming and the rest of my life becomes a bit overwhelmed.

My left achilles/heel is still bothering me some and although it is better, it is still indeed there.  I'm going to have to see Dr. Leo when I get back to Cleveland and have a little Graston and/or cold laser work done.  I know it is compromising things just a bit especially when it gets cold.  When the weather was warmer, it warmed up quicker - gee, rocket science there.  I'm doing everything that I know how and I suspect he'll just tweak one thing and I'll be good to go.  I could probably help myself a bit if I would take ibuprofen some, but no, I forget and it is ok.  I am still going to run the crazy little 2.7 mile race here on Saturday around the grounds even with its nasty climb in the first mile (it doesn't level off until 2.4 miles).  MP should win our AG as she has the speed, I just hope to be 2nd.

The strange weather has led to a bumper crop of fresh veggies around here though.  I have learned many new ways to cook zucchini, fresh cabbage, green beans, and fresh beets!  Glad my daughter likes veggies too (especially the beets) as we have certainly been eating a lot of them.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Not until I live up in those confines will I ever care about humidity, when the temp is below 60 degrees.  I remember Mark mentioning cool temperatures and humidity, last year, in the same vain as you.

$13K is certainly nothing to sneeze at, young lady.  Gratz!

Is your Achilles problem fairly generic amongst those with an Achilles issue?

Finally, beets.  How do you cook a beet?  Do they have a strong flavor or will the sauce and/or sauteeing drive the flavor with the beet along for the ride?  Is there any particular way to select a beet?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Not sure about selecting a beet, but to me, the best way to cook them is to roast them  You take the beets (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut off the greens (which you can save and saute if you like bitter greens or add to salad - they are a bit too bitter for me), then scrub them very well.  Don't peel (yet).  Take a large piece of foil and place on a baking sheet.  Put the scrubbed beets on the sheet and roll the foil to make a packet around them.  Add 1-2 TBS of olive oil, salt and pepper and then close the basket at the top.  Put them in a 375F oven and bake until tender, about 30 min.  Then let them sit on the sheet until warm, but not hot.  While they are still warm, peel them.  They can be easier to peel if you press the sides and loosen the skins. Cut into wedges or slices (depending on what you are making) and place into a serving bowl.

I like to make them into a cold, pickled salad.  I use about 2-3 TBS salad oil, 1-2 TBS rice vinegar and 1-2 TBS white balsamic vinegar, about 2 tsp of sugar, and salt & pepper.  Whisk together and then pour over the beets.  Refrigerate at least 1-2 hrs.  I usually taste test the dressing as I'm a vinegar person and I like the sourness, but you do want enough sugar and S&P to balance it out.  The longer they marinate the better.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 pm

That definitely sounds like a busy schedule. Look at it this way, though, at least you'll have a lot of time for running once it calms down Smile

Good luck with your race on Saturday...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:34 pm

I know exactly what you are talking about - my life seems overwhelmingly full this year and there's just not enough time to get much done. It's good you are doing so much though, and keeping the running up. I hope your foot doesn't get worse, that is no fun.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:16 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Not sure about selecting a beet, but to me, the best way to cook them is to roast them  You take the beets (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut off the greens (which you can save and saute if you like bitter greens or add to salad - they are a bit too bitter for me), then scrub them very well.  Don't peel (yet).  Take a large piece of foil and place on a baking sheet.  Put the scrubbed beets on the sheet and roll the foil to make a packet around them.  Add 1-2 TBS of olive oil, salt and pepper and then close the basket at the top.  Put them in a 375F oven and bake until tender, about 30 min.  Then let them sit on the sheet until warm, but not hot.  While they are still warm, peel them.  They can be easier to peel if you press the sides and loosen the skins. Cut into wedges or slices (depending on what you are making) and place into a serving bowl.

I like to make them into a cold, pickled salad.  I use about 2-3 TBS salad oil, 1-2 TBS rice vinegar and 1-2 TBS white balsamic vinegar, about 2 tsp of sugar, and salt & pepper.  Whisk together and then pour over the beets.  Refrigerate at least 1-2 hrs.  I usually taste test the dressing as I'm a vinegar person and I like the sourness, but you do want enough sugar and S&P to balance it out.  The longer they marinate the better.

Thanks, 1L.  that's a big help.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 am

Wait, the race starts with an early climb that continues until the final kick?  Do they call it Pike's Jr.?  Wink

Sometimes a few weeks off/with greatly reduced mileage is necessary, so consider it an externally imposed time of recovery.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Wait, the race starts with an early climb that continues until the final kick?  Do they call it Pike's Jr.?  Wink

Sometimes a few weeks off/with greatly reduced mileage is necessary, so consider it an externally imposed time of recovery.
Nah, it is flat compared to Pike's.  It is just a weird course with a lot of uphill in the beginning, then a leveling off followed by rolling and then finally down and finally flat at the very end.  Not exactly fast as 1/2 mile is 1/2 up the first hill.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:38 pm

ounce wrote:Not until I live up in those confines will I ever care about humidity, when the temp is below 60 degrees.  I remember Mark mentioning cool temperatures and humidity, last year, in the same vain as you.

Heh. It's totally not the same thing as melting in 80-90 degrees with full humidity, to be sure, but you can get surprisingly soaked in cool/cold weather when the humidity is nearing the 100% mark. You end up clammy all over, and it raises the risk of becoming hypothermic if a breeze kicks up.

---

That run sounds like quite an adventure, Michele. Hope you have a great time. And watch the achilles! With my string of mishaps, the only running I'm enjoying is yours.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Not until I live up in those confines will I ever care about humidity, when the temp is below 60 degrees.  I remember Mark mentioning cool temperatures and humidity, last year, in the same vain as you.

Heh. It's totally not the same thing as melting in 80-90 degrees with full humidity, to be sure, but you can get surprisingly soaked in cool/cold weather when the humidity is nearing the 100% mark. You end up clammy all over, and it raises the risk of becoming hypothermic if a breeze kicks up.

---

That run sounds like quite an adventure, Michele. Hope you have a great time. And watch the achilles! With my string of mishaps, the only running I'm enjoying is yours.

We're just happy that it's below 60 degrees!  Other than when it rains, Summer is the only time my shorts get wet.  I hear ya on the hypothermic, but BRING IT ON!!!

Oh, and Michele, don't get hurt.  But if you do, we can blame it on Mark because he's hurt and all that goodwill and sharing of his afflictions can get a bit old.   No
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:16 pm

ounce wrote:Oh, and Michele, don't get hurt.  But if you do, we can blame it on Mark because he's hurt and all that goodwill and sharing of his afflictions can get a bit old.   No

Definitely don't get hurt, but the gentleman from the Great State of Texas underestimates all the karma built by those offering best wishes to the perpetually uncoordinated as they lurch from mishap to mishap.  Approval 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:32 pm

So the race went pretty well, 1st AG and 1st Master.  And not my slowest time ever which isn't bad since the last time I actually ran it, I was 49. Went out comfortably and picked it up, so I was very surprised at the final time and the fact that my mile splits were 7:17, 7:14, 7:13.  I'll take it.  It is also pretty cool when the 14th overall finisher with a time still under 18 min was a 65 yr old guy! and the 5th overall finisher was 14!  Very diverse field here. Total of 846 participants, but more than half of those registered as walkers not runners.  Many of the "walkers" actually run and the prize for the walker division is closest predicted time.

Any way, I'm pleased and my foot/achilles didn't bother me at all.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Nice! Congrats.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Funny, I've never really trusted the McMillan Calculator that much, but if you convert my time today to a full 5K and then put it in the calculator, it had me running a 1:44:10 Half.  I ran that a couple of weeks ago.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Funny, I've never really trusted the McMillan Calculator that much, but if you convert my time today to a full 5K and then put it in the calculator, it had me running a 1:44:10 Half.  I ran that a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting...what does it compute your marathon time to be?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Funny, I've never really trusted the McMillan Calculator that much, but if you convert my time today to a full 5K and then put it in the calculator, it had me running a 1:44:10 Half.  I ran that a couple of weeks ago.

Actually 3:39.  I'd love to do sub 3:40 again, but not sure if NY is the place.  I'd be happy with sub 3:50, but maybe I just sell myself a bit short.

Ran with a guy from Cleveland today that I met yesterday at the race.  Turns out he and his wife live 1/2 mile from me and are both runners with him being the more serious of the two.  He missed the cut for Erie in mid-September, so he is gearing up for another race that is set for the following weekend in mid-Ohio.  He is hoping to BQ again.  Interesting guy.  He talked about his current training plan where he runs a max of 15 mile long runs and each weekend as he gears up he does 15 one day at MP and then an easy 10 the next.  Anyway, his methods were interesting and he is very fit after a long history of injury.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 am

Congrats Michele. Another good one in the books.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Oh, and Michele, don't get hurt.  But if you do, we can blame it on Mark because he's hurt and all that goodwill and sharing of his afflictions can get a bit old.   No

Definitely don't get hurt, but the gentleman from the Great State of Texas underestimates all the karma built by those offering best wishes to the perpetually uncoordinated as they lurch from mishap to mishap.  Approval 
Or limp from mishap to mishap.  And may I say to the young gentleman from the Great State of Washington, who by the way is NOT the State Fossil, rather the Columbian Mammoth, that all those mishaps builds character.  And maybe he should purchase a pair of:

1L Takes Manhattan - Page 2 Th?id=HN.608020150763193721&w=98&h=108&c=8&pid=3  Steel-toed flip flops.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:So the race went pretty well, 1st AG and 1st Master.  And not my slowest time ever which isn't bad since the last time I actually ran it, I was 49. Went out comfortably and picked it up, so I was very surprised at the final time and the fact that my mile splits were 7:17, 7:14, 7:13.  I'll take it.  It is also pretty cool when the 14th overall finisher with a time still under 18 min was a 65 yr old guy! and the 5th overall finisher was 14!  Very diverse field here. Total of 846 participants, but more than half of those registered as walkers not runners.  Many of the "walkers" actually run and the prize for the walker division is closest predicted time.

Any way, I'm pleased and my foot/achilles didn't bother me at all.
That's quite nice, Michele.  Maybe you can start getting races comped.  Super duper, lady.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Check out my blog update: http://1lranthere.blogspot.com/
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:44 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Actually 3:39.  I'd love to do sub 3:40 again, but not sure if NY is the place.  I'd be happy with sub 3:50, but maybe I just sell myself a bit short.

Ran with a guy from Cleveland today that I met yesterday at the race.  Turns out he and his wife live 1/2 mile from me and are both runners with him being the more serious of the two.  He missed the cut for Erie in mid-September, so he is gearing up for another race that is set for the following weekend in mid-Ohio.  He is hoping to BQ again.  Interesting guy.  He talked about his current training plan where he runs a max of 15 mile long runs and each weekend as he gears up he does 15 one day at MP and then an easy 10 the next.  Anyway, his methods were interesting and he is very fit after a long history of injury.

I think a sub 3:50 is definitely doable for you. Considering you still have a training cycle to go through.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

I think a sub 3:50 is definitely doable for you.  Considering you still have a training cycle to go through.
True, but sometimes I don't push myself hard enough anymore at the start of a marathon for fear of crashing and burning - something I have done on multiple occassions!  Alas, I did run 3:51 at Boston a course that I find harder than NYC; however, to me, NYC always seems more crowded.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Congrats on your race!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Turned the corner, I believe, with three days of running and no foot or achilles pain.  Ran a little 6K XC run with MP's daughter, let MP race, and we had fun.  She was not happy in the middle of the race, and I told her to yell at me instead of thinking she couldn't do it, she laughed and kept going.  We finished in a 9:30 pace which was much faster than she had been running.  The trail that we ran was wonderful with just a couple of small hills - totally runable and it was great weather.

More later.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Cool - saw you did Presque Isle again.  I should go back there next Fall.  And if you want to take a 2015 shot at sub 3:40 and want a pacer, just let me know where and we'll get you there.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next