365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1L Takes Manhattan

+16
Penelope
Schuey
KBFitz
fostever
mul21
Gobbles
Tom H
Chris M
JohnP
Julie
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Jim Lentz
ounce
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
20 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

1L Takes Manhattan - Page 3 Empty Re: 1L Takes Manhattan

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Chris M wrote:Cool - saw you did Presque Isle again.  I should go back there next Fall.  And if you want to take a 2015 shot at sub 3:40 and want a pacer, just let me know where and we'll get you there.

Thanks, Chris - I hope to be able to take you up on the offer someday still.   I'm running the Erie Half again on 9/14 and lots of my Cleveland peeps are running the full trying to get those BQs.

Strange workout from my coach today -   I was stressed, but I think that I nailed it.  The 5K tempo was done at a 7:35 pace and the hills hurt like hell.  Guessing the idea was to make me feel fatigued since HTC is this weekend.  I also didn't run it until 9 am to run in the heat - the only heat we have had in NY since mid-July.  It was finally in the high 60s with high humidity.  I'm back in CLE now and it is 88F, but it is supposed to rain hard tomorrow and the temps are supposed to drop.  Hopefully the heat that was out west is gone or I'm a goner.  I did get upgraded to first class for both legs of my flights on Thursday, so that is a plus.  Too bad that free drinks the day before a 199-mile relay are a bad idea.
15-20' warm-up + 5K Tempo Run + 4' recovery jog + Hill Repeats:  6 to 8 times a moderately sloped hill (6-10% grade) lasting 60 to 90 seconds with the jog back down the hill as recovery + 15-20' cool-down
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Moderate = 6-10%?  What?!

Saw that you posted about that workout on a FB group (yes, FB is creepy) and was immediately impressed.  Having witnessed you power up hills, I can imagine what it takes to make a run hurt.  Kudos from runner son.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Moderate = 6-10%?  What?!

Saw that you posted about that workout on a FB group (yes, FB is creepy) and was immediately impressed.  Having witnessed you power up hills, I can imagine what it takes to make a run hurt.  Kudos from runner son.

Thanks, Mike.  It takes 3.1 miles at 7:35 pace!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 am

Enjoy Hood to Coast and stay safe.  Our weather is cooling down a bit on Fri and Sat.  Hopefully the weather on that side of the mountain will cooperate as well.

Have fun.  Very Happy
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 am

Good luck, Michele.  I know that you'll enjoy yourself.   Approval  Shots  Running
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Hood to Coast done. Interesting trip to Portland but I made it. Ended up running 4 legs instead of just 3 as one guys wife had to stay back in Atlanta due to her Mom taking ill. Did get to run leg#1 which is down the mountain and that was a complete blast. Ran a total of 19.7 miles over the 2 days averaging around 8:05 pace between the 4 legs. More later.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Hood to Coast done. Interesting trip to Portland but I made it. Ended up running 4 legs instead of just 3 as one guys wife had to stay back in Atlanta due to her Mom taking ill.  Did get to run leg#1 which is down the mountain and that was a complete blast.  Ran a total of 19.7 miles over the 2 days averaging around 8:05 pace between the 4 legs.  More later.  
 Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:01 pm

We had an awesome time at Hood to Coast and it was fun to spend the weekend with 10 people that I didn't know personally although we had many, many mutual friends in Atlanta.  It started off rocky in that United Airlines cancelled my flight to SFO and re-routed me twice - first through Chicago which was delayed by weather and finally through Denver.  I got to Portland an hour later than planned, but it was still ok and my team did not leave without me!  We drove to Mt. Hood and stayed at the Timberline Lodge.  What fun especially watching folks "ski" on the glacier face.  That evening we had to re-distribute the legs as one member couldn't make it to Oregon as her Mom took ill (bummer), so three of us who were trained felt up for the challenge.  That meant that I had to run Leg #1 which started the race and also runs down Mt. Hood - a descent of 2500' in 5.67 miles.  I knew that I could handle it as I'm the one who never seems to have shredded quads after Boston.  This leg was a blast and I just let gravity carry me down with no stress and a very low heart rate.  I ended up running a 7:49 pace without even trying.  We started at 12:45 and we were off.  After leg #6, I had to switch into Van 2 from Van 1 in order to pick up my next leg which was to be leg 12 since we were covering the race course with only 11 runners.

Fast forward to my next leg which was a 10K that was mostly flat and a long a bike path into Portland finishing under the Hawthorne Bridge.  This was run in the dark and it was a bit creepy near the end when you exited the bike path and were in a bit of an Industrial area along the river.  Not a place that I would have run alone or in the dark, and here I was, alone and in the dark!  Another great effort at an overall 8:15 pace which had me holding back since I knew that I still had two more legs to go and I wasn't sure where I'd sleep or what I'd be fueling with before my next leg.  As it turned out, we drove to the next big van transition, and the five of us literally slept 4 hours in a Toyota minivan.  Yes, it can indeed be done!  We woke around 3 am and we were ready to rock and the Van 2 runners were ready for legs 2 (3 for me).

My next leg, leg #23, was a beautiful 4.3 mile run that began as the sun was rising and the mist was clearing.  The weather was gorgeous and I simply seemed to fly without even trying.  Now this was a funny leg as the traffic along the course began to back up terribly.  Gary, our team captain and the runner after me (Gary, Bob, and myself all did 4 legs), sensed that they might not make the transition, and he jumped out of the van to chase me down running an extra 1.5 miles!  He caught me around 3 miles and told me to slow down so that he could rest a bit at the transition.  I did my best, but it was so beautiful and I felt great.  He did get a minute or two of rest before I came in and he took off.  For me, it resulted in a great run at a 7:58 place.  

Over the next few legs, the traffic was horrendous.  We were able to meet up with Van 1 and pick up Bob at one point, but we feared making it to our final transition.  Van 1 runners had to wait a couple of times at the leg transitions as these are the last few hard legs over the last ridge as it jsut wasn't fair to make a runner run up a hill to make up 2-3 min and then just have them run up another mtn!  Our team was about 35 min ahead of our projection when we started this portion of the race, and we were back to only 19 min under when we took the final 6 legs as Van 2 with our youngest member Kelsea who ran some of the toughest legs and was not a seasoned runner.  She is now.  The temperatures rose to the mid-70s for most of these legs and my teammates (Kelsea, Alan, and Jim) just killed them.  

My final leg, Leg #34, was just over a 5K and I was determined to run it hard and give it all I had left.  There were a couple of good climbs in this leg but nothing like those that Van 1 had experienced over the ridge and I was not going to let my tired legs, sore quads and calves and glutes, give in. I realized immediately on this leg that there were a lot of walkers.  Since it was a shorter leg, I think many teams had placed their lesser experienced runners on it.  This allowed me to record 16 road kills and run my butt off literally finishing with an overall 7:57 pace.  I wanted to make sure that I came to my team as advertised and after this last leg, I felt that I had more than done my job.  I passed off to Gary and it was home free from there.

Gary ran strong and passed to our final runner, Bob, who brought us in with an overall time of 29:46:36 over 20 min faster than we had predicted. Not sure where that is overall, but there seemed to be plenty of teams behind us.  Of course, with last minute changes we were competing in the Men's Open division as we only had 4 women (you need 6 to be a true mixed team) and Kelsea is only 28!  Just shows what a bunch of fun people can pull together!   Glad I went as it was worth every bit of the run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:37 pm

It sounds like you had a great time, and that you really killed it out there. Nice!

Alita's two legs were both in the dark (the first one pre-dawn, the second at about 10 p.m.), so she didn't have any problems with the heat. Some of the walkers in Van #2 got fairly cooked, though. Unusually warm at the coast, though it was pretty nice on the beach.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Wow...sounds like an awesome weekend.  (Except for the flight delays.)  We take Timberline Lodge for granted but staying there the night before the race would be a great treat for folks from out of the area.

My only previous experience with HTC was my family (who live in the Sandy area) complaining about the disruption the race causes in the area.  My oldest son...who was not well trained...ran this year.  They gave him one of the easier legs (runner #4) but he learned his lesson about training.  He is excited to do it again though.  The captain of his team was running her 11th consecutive HTC.  She plans to be runner #12 next year and finish the race.  She's run every leg except that one...she saved if for last.  My youngest son is the runner in the family and has done 3 Ragner relays.  Both the boys are encouraging me to give HTC a try.  I'm pretty excited about the idea but need to find an appropriate team.  Gary said I wouldn't be comfortable in their van...they took their running seriously but the girls would make loggers blush!  I've been asked to run before and never felt like I was ready.  I'll have to check around and see if I can locate a team that I would fit in with.

Glad you had a great weekend and great runs.  Thanks for sharing!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:47 am

Looks like you had a really fun time. I've always wanted to do a relay like this.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Decent week last even if my heel is still bothering me some on and off.  I guess I just learn to deal with the achilles/PF/whatever that I have since it seems to go away once I get running and it isn't curbing my speed, I just wish I didn't feel it at all.   Getting in to see Dr Leo is tough at this time of year since everyone around here is clamoring for a fall marathon whether it be Akron or Towpath or Columbus, but I did get an appointment the day after Erie - a day late is better than never and I know I'll make it through Erie as I ran the same course back in July on the same foot! with the same issue!

I'm a bit miffed this morning though about two separate issues: Badwater and Bandits.  Now they may not seem like they go together as they don't but they are both annoying me today.  As far as Badwater goes, the race has an uncertain future as the National Parks staff has seemingly decided to restrict the use of the park as visitors have asked how such a reace can be run in the "hottest" time of year when they are advised to not do anything strenuous in the heat.  Well, come on, these badwater athletes HAVE TRAINED FOR THIS.  Wow, what a concept - training! These runners are not just deciding to run 133 miles in the desert without Training for it!  Having helped a friend train in DV for the race one Memorial Day weekend back in 2007, I know a wee (very wee) bit about running in 113F heat since I ran 10 miler completely outfitted in my "french Foreign Legion dress", and it isn't for the faint of heart.  Somehow I do trust that the folks who run the Badwater race will figure out how to work withe the park service.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/parkmgmt/upload/DEVA-Sporting-Event-Safety-Assessment-Final-8_20_14-1.pdf

As bandits go, here I am a bit mystified.  There was a local half marathon here this past Sunday in our local Metroparks.  This might be the 11th or 12th running of this race and as it is local, it is also pretty inexpensive ($40 up until 9/1 and then $60).  A bunch of members of our local running club ran as bandits yesterday, took medals, and seemed not to be bothered by the whole thing.  Granted, I ran (with other members of the group) in the Metropark as well as it is indeed an open park, but we ran on the bike path (the race was on the road), brought our own water, and certainly didn't take any medals for our trouble.  Now many of you know that I have run as a bandit - in fact, I ran Boston as a bandit, but that was back in the very early 1980s and even though that was a long time ago and many, many college students still bandit Boston, I don't know if that completely excuses it.  Shoot I entered the Akron Marathon at the end of the month to run 18 miles with a friend running the whole thing, as I didn't want to bandit.  I'ms till going to take off the timing chip as I also don't want to be construed as a Rosie Ruiz with a weird time.  I think I'll just vent here and not to their faces, but I am still bothered by it as was one of the women they ran with (who had a number) and the members of the group that I was running with.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:38 pm

There's a point in everyone's life when 'sticking it to The Man' or flirting with danger or screwing with authority is not worth the effort anymore or taking from the office 1 3x3 post-it note pad.

It's like buying a ticket for one movie, but going in to another.  It's not murder, but it is wrong.  And only a right thing done in a right way is right.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Oh Chris McKee do you wish you were in Erie this year as it is 50F - yes 50F here in Chautauqua NY right now and the forecast for Sunday's race in Erie is 54F at the start.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Oh Chris McKee do you wish you were in Erie this year as it is 50F - yes 50F here in Chautauqua NY right now and the forecast for Sunday's race in Erie is 54F at the start.
Nice!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Beautiful morning for a race.  Not as "cold" as predicted but 55F at the start with no wind and pretty much no humidity.  1:40:59 good for 3rd in my AG (one of the women that I run with ran a PB to win our AG - I'm very happy for her since she had a lousy fall last year and now things are coming together).  Several PBs in the group, 3 BQs, and one first complete marathon.  And my email came from the BAA  - I'm in for 2015!  

All in all, a very good day.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Sounds like a very good day!  Congrats on a nice race and a good day with your running friends.

I also got my email from BAA...I can't believe I'm actually doing this!  See you there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:02 pm

nkrichards wrote:Sounds like a very good day!  Congrats on a nice race and a good day with your running friends.

I also got my email from BAA...I can't believe I'm actually doing this!  See you there.

Yesssssss!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:00 pm

First 20 of the NY cycle done, and it really wasn't too bad.  Weather was cooperative in that it was in the low 60s this morning and even though the humidity was around 88%, it felt ok with a breeze down in the park.  We also started early (6:30) as it is supposed to go up into the 80s again today with some possible thunderstorms.  Hopefully the rain will hold off as Charles (Moman) and others are running/walking the North Coast 24 down by the lake today.  I'm going to head down there later to see him and others and make sure all is ok.  Last year Charles had some GI issues, so hopefully, this year which has obviously had its challenges, he is ok.  I think he has an ambitious walking goal, but he is obviously stronger than most of us and will be great.

Back to the week, I was very surprised after Sunday's race that I had a good week.  Legs were tired today, but nothing ridiculous.  We were smart and started off with the first 3 on trails which gave us a good, but slow warm up and then after 17 miles, we went and did the last 3 on the trails to give us a good almost cool down.  For the rest of the week, I had a real good speed session on Tuesday and a surprising tempo run on Thursday where I ran the tempo miles at an 8:05 pace.  I didn't really think I could do that.  Last night, I joined a local run in support of two rape victims who were attacked right here on the west side of Cleveland.  The good news is that they caught (at least one of the guys, he may be responsible for both), but the initiative was to basically support the victims and "Take Back the Run".  It was a cool event supported by so many local businesses and running groups and the Cleveland Rape Crisis Center.  It was even given TV and newspaper coverage, so hats off to the women who organized the affair.  Well done.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Sounds like you're right on track for NYC with just 6 weeks left.  Always nice when a plan comes together like that, isn't it?

I saw your post on the V-Team FB group re: "Take Back the Run."  Very cool to see a community band together like that.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:49 pm

So, Michele, are you comfortable with the progress or waiting for the other shoe to drop?  And with this piece of good times in the past couple of weeks, do you adjust your target times for the runs up to taper or stay the course and hope NYC plays out like it appears to be playing now?

Gratz, too, by the way.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm actually keeping things pace-wise where they are at since I'm running 20 at Akron this week and I just want to stay the course.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 am

Congrats on the first 20. So glad the one guy was caught. So sickening and awful.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Great news regarding the scum bag here in Cleveland as he was confirmed to be the perp on both attacks.  Glad that he is off the streets sorry that it had to happen.  Yesterday during my pacing duty at Akron, I was running with my survivor friend who gave the inspirational talk at the #TakeBackTheRun event and a guy came up behind us going up one of the hills.  He slowed to ask Mike if he was the speaker after saying "yes", the guy thanked him as it turns out he is the boyfriend of one of the victims.  Weirdly small world.  Well, here we are at mile 21 and they are swapping emails so that Mike can get the victim the resources she might/will need to come to full closure and get on with her life. I'm just a witness to all of this, but very proud that I'm helping Mike get his goal and kind of a peripheral part to this cool encounter.

On the running front, besides running almost 21 miles yesterday while pacing Mike at Akron (more below), I had a decent week.  Slightly lower mileage (only 46+), but some good quality miles.  This week brings another solid track workout followed by an 8.5 hard effort run on Thursday and a 16 miler on Saturday with 12 at pace.  Not really sure what my marathon pace should be, but I know that NYC is a crowded race, so I'm going to try and go for the 3:45 to 3:50 again. I think I'm in pretty good shape and similar to when I last ran NYC in 2011, but I was 3 yrs younger then and I was doing more mileage in a given week. I was not; however, doing any of the core work.  We will see in a month as to what works best for me.  I feel strong, but you never know.

As for yesterday, what a strange experience.  Mike is a bald, tattoo covered guy from the Bronx that shouldn't be hard to miss.  I also told him where I'd be, what I was wearing, and he said he would be in the 4:25-4:30 area hopefully with my friend, Brett, the 4:25 pacer.  So after the runners start, I run over to the 8 mile mark near the 3rd relay exchange to wait for him. I see all the front runners pass and cheer many friends, and I'm waiting and waiting and no Mike. Finally the 4:45 pace group goes by, and I decide that I must have missed him.  That 55F weather is also turning to 65F weather, so I decide to leave and hope to catch him.  I take off on the course and cover roughly 10.5 miles (at an 8:40 pace) and there on the hill is Mike - yeah! So I catch him and abruptly slow to his pace which is now about 10:40 per mile.  The sun has come out and the 2nd half of the course has a pretty brutal set of hills.  Mike is running with a girl, Megan, that he trained with and she is looking to pick it up some - so I tell her that I'm staying with Mike as promised and I do.  We then cover the last 8+ miles of the course together and finish in 4:30 (his official time) accomplishing my 20+ miler and his 5th marathon for which he raised money for the Cleveland Rape Crisis center.  I was pretty spent when done and the woman giving out the medals was shocked that I didn't want to take one (I did pay for the race - so I took the socks & jacket they gave to the registrants as well as the beer!).  It was very warm at the finish (in the 70s) and I was tired - happy though when I made myself go to this morning's run to find out that nothing hurt or was out of place and my achilles was fine as I ran an easy 6.2 miles.

As I stated above, this week is another with some tough mileage.  I'm looking forward to it - I think.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Hope this week is going well. I'm sure you are strong! 

Glad he's off the streets. I know healing takes time but hoping that the victims are taking care of themselves and getting the support they need.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next