365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funkadelic Happening

+10
Mark B
nkrichards
ounce
Penelope
Tom H
dot520
mul21
Jim Lentz
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
14 posters

Page 14 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Funkadelic Happening - Page 14 Empty Re: Funkadelic Happening

Post  ounce Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:08 pm

Monday, April 20.  The prior week didn't produce much running due to the 5 inches of rain we got, mostly in the mornings.  We had four days straight of hail producing thunderstorms.  The NOAA produced a graph of Harris county (Houston) showing that over the past 30 days we received from 150% to 600% of the average amount of rain.

This week wasn't a whole lot better, even Monday the 27th has a 70% chance of rain predicted with a cold front that'll produce some mornings in the 50's!!

But I upped the distance at the present cadence of 170.  I figured if I could increase the distance at the new cadence, then doing longer distances might be better, as the weeks go by.

8 miles, 1:40:01, 12:30 pace, 143 avg bpm, 157 max bpm during mile X, 169 spm, 0.76 m avg stride length
1.  12:32, 136 bpm, 169 spm, 76 sl
2.  12:36, 138 bpm, 169 spm, 76 sl
3.  12:42, 141 bpm, 169 spm, 75 sl
4.  12:23, 146 bpm, 170 spm, 77 sl
5.  12:50, 142 bpm, 169 spm, 74 sl
6.  12:44, 142 bpm, 168 spm, 75 sl
7.  12:18, 146 bpm, 170 spm, 77 sl
8.  11:54, 150 bpm, 169 spm, 80 sl

No pain, but it was a bit tiring (miles 5 and 6), then stretched the stride for the final 2 miles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Yesterday, Friday April 24.  Another 71 degree morning!  I ran Monday and again on Friday.  I was going to run this morning, but we had a storm roll through about 5 a.m., 7 a.m., and 9 a.m.  Oh well.

8 miles, 1:40:18, 12:32 pace, 156 avg bpm, 172 max bpm during mile 8, 169 avg cadence, 0.76 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 12:30, 2nd half pace 12:34.
1.  12:32, 138 bpm, 168 spm, 76 sl
2.  12:12, 152 bpm, 170 spm, 78 sl
3.  12:32, 154 bpm, 169 spm, 76 sl
4.  12:43, 158 bpm, 169 spm, 75 sl
5.  12:38, 158 bpm, 169 spm, 76 sl
6.  12:33, 160 bpm, 168 spm, 76 sl
7.  12:44, 162 bpm, 169 spm, 75 sl
8.  12:23, 165 bpm, 168 spm, 77 sl

This run felt better than Monday's run, even though it was 17 seconds slower.  Plus, I was working on lengthening the stride for longer periods.  But looking at averaging both run's stride length, Monday's run was 76.5 sl and Friday's was 76 sl.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:38 pm

This morning, I ran 8 miles as part of week 2 of 8 @ 170 (yes, it really happened today).  It was cloudy and 69 degrees with 100% humidity.  Part of this is due to an 80% chance of rain tomorrow.  As I write this, we're under a tornado watch as a pretty impressive cell is moving our way from the southwest.  I love a good thunderstorm.  The payoff for getting through Monday's storms is the rest of the week with lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's, possibly the last cool temperatures until October.

As noted on the last post, I last ran on Friday for 8 miles and it was 71 degrees.

8 miles, 1:36:36, 12:04 pace, 152 avg bpm, 169 max bpm during mile 8, 169 avg cadence, 0.79 m avg stride length, 1st half 12:11 pace, 2nd half pace 11:57.
1.  12:28, 136 bpm, 169 spm, 77 sl
2.  12:12, 141 bpm, 169 spm, 78 sl
3.  12:01, 148 bpm, 168 spm, 79 sl
4.  12:03, 154 bpm, 170 spm, 79 sl
5.  12:09, 154 bpm, 169 spm, 78 sl
6.  12:03, 159 bpm, 170 spm, 79 sl
7.  11:59, 160 bpm, 169 spm, 80 sl
8.  11:42, 164 bpm, 169 spm, 81 sl

This run was fairly tough, but I enjoyed the run and really liked the results from the effort that I gave.  I wanted to try to establish a precedent for continued running at this pace during the summer, rather than just accepting my reason for going slower of 30 seconds per mile for every 5 degree increase in morning temperature over 65 degrees.  Yes, my HR was more than at slower paces, but that's okay.

So, if I can maintain this pace when the morning temp is 75 degrees or better, no matter the heart rate, then I think it can't not help me in the Fall.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:26 am

Training is tough enough without having to deal with weather issues like you do!

I got to thinking that maybe this would be a good time to think about working on my cadence and trying some low HR training...once I get the go ahead of course.  I've always been training for an event and unwilling to step back and try anything new that might disrupt my progress.  Since I'm kind of going to be starting from zero it might be a good opportunity.  Your blog will be a good source of info. 

Keep up the good work.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:33 am

nkrichards wrote:Training is tough enough without having to deal with weather issues like you do!

I got to thinking that maybe this would be a good time to think about working on my cadence and trying some low HR training...once I get the go ahead of course.  I've always been training for an event and unwilling to step back and try anything new that might disrupt my progress.  Since I'm kind of going to be starting from zero it might be a good opportunity.  Your blog will be a good source of info. 

Keep up the good work.
Gosh, thanks, Nancy.  Mark is the king of consistently applying HR methods.  I'm the king of challenging conventional methods.  And you're right, people are unwilling to try something new if they might lose ground.  I have nothing to lose in trying something different.

I think you doing low HR running and working on cadence would be excellent, once you get the green light.  I'll keep a front seat cleared for you here.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:46 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Training is tough enough without having to deal with weather issues like you do!

Keep up the good work.
Gosh, thanks, Nancy.  Mark is the king of consistently applying HR methods.  I'm the king of challenging conventional methods.  And you're right, people are unwilling to try something new if they might lose ground.  I have nothing to lose in trying something different.

I think you doing low HR running and working on cadence would be excellent, once you get the green light.  I'll keep a front seat cleared for you here.

Wait... since when did HR training become conventional? Dang. I've got to up my game! Wink

I do think that a cardiologist would be very pleased to suggest a low-HR regimen for Nancy as her heart muscle recuperates from the insult it received earlier this month. It'd probably be the best way to minimize complications during this period and ensure the best possible outcome.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Keep up the good work.

Wait... since when did HR training become conventional? Dang. I've got to up my game! Wink

I do think that a cardiologist would be very pleased to suggest a low-HR regimen for Nancy as her heart muscle recuperates from the insult it received earlier this month. It'd probably be the best way to minimize complications during this period and ensure the best possible outcome.
Mark, you're also the king of no-foot er...no shoe running, an unconventional method that I am tickled not wanting to try.  Smile
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:07 pm

ounce wrote:Mark, you're also the king of no-foot er...no shoe running, an unconventional method that I am tickled not wanting to try.  Smile

Oh, but it really is wonderfully ticklish for your feet... geek
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 20, 2015 9:15 pm

When I saw the FB email that it was Dot's birfday today, I decided to MAKE the time to come by and post a thread for her.  I have been so very busy, but still managing to run in the mornings.

Presently, life has me in San Antonio and next week (for many weeks) in Corpus Christi helping out a client with my little niche in the Accounting world, accounting for construction projects.  It's supposed to end around the end of July, but I'd be surprised if it lasted a month.  It pays really well, which is why I took it.  It'll give me additional cushion for my start-up.

My start-up company is still very much going to happen, so I had to give them a drop dead date of July 31 because I was going to start then, come hell or high water.  And if this gig does end early, I'll 'open the doors' on my company.  The logo is complete, the website name has been bought, the accounting software is set up (Peachtree 2010 from Amazon for $10), the LLC has been created and filed, the company name has an application pending with the US Patent & Trademark Office, and the checks are in the mail!  I need one more thing that's critical, but that's in the works and I should have it in the next couple of weeks.  When I registered for Houston, last night, I even used the company's name as my bib name.

San Antonio has many rolling hills, considering I'm a flatlander, but still fun to run on them.  So, I'm still around.  And when my next blog starts, it'll signify the start of the start-up.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 21, 2015 12:00 am

Sounds like you're at quite an exciting time of your life, Doug. Can't wait to see how this next chapter in your life unfolds. Glad you can still get some running in, and that you've set a goal for yourself before you hang up the shingle and are tempted to devote every waking hour to it. Balance is a good thing.

As for the name of this start up, well... I'm dying of anticipation.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Mark B wrote:Sounds like you're at quite an exciting time of your life, Doug. Can't wait to see how this next chapter in your life unfolds. Glad you can still get some running in, and that you've set a goal for yourself before you hang up the shingle and are tempted to devote every waking hour to it. Balance is a good thing.

+1

Hope you have time to keep us posted on your running and your new venture!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Sounds like you're at quite an exciting time of your life, Doug. Can't wait to see how this next chapter in your life unfolds. Glad you can still get some running in, and that you've set a goal for yourself before you hang up the shingle and are tempted to devote every waking hour to it. Balance is a good thing.

+1

Hope you have time to keep us posted on your running and your new venture!
Me too!  Gald to hear from you Doug.  Can't wait to hear more about this new venture.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 pm

oh wow, congratulations!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Thank y'all very much.  It takes a lot of planning and execution (and this isn't a business with inventory, thank God).  At the right time, I'll come clean.  And I'll make more time to come by and post up.

So, I'm in Corpus Christi this week looking over the spending and what's left to go on a $200M fractionation plant.  I left Houston about 3 hours before the torrential rain hit town.  In fact, the rain wasn't supposed to be bad at all.  It was just a convergence of three separate storms...on my side of town that wreaked genuine havoc.  In my neighborhood, the rain deposited 8 inches over 3 hours.  Four miles to the west, it was 10 inches.  Please note the graph below that shows the water elevation increase 29 feet in 5 hours in Buffalo Bayou, 13 miles from downtown.  White Oak Bayou, that empties into Buffalo Bayou, just west of downtown, rose 25 feet in 2 hours.  Buffalo Bayou runs along the north side of downtown and becomes the Houston Ship Channel that empties into the Gulf of Mexico.  Geography lesson over.

It seems all of the drainage and retention pond work done in the bayou system since Tropical Storm Allison in June 2001 is paying off.  I'm not hearing quite the number of complaints, as before.

Edit:  Well, the graph didn't stick, so here's the link  http://harriscountyfws.org/GageDetail/Index/2270?R=1

As far as running, last Friday in San Antonio, I ran 9 miles on what I would communicate to you non-flatlanders as gentle rollers.  I only wanted to run 8, but I got lost for about a mile and a 1/2.  The run went mostly well.  I've scoped out a route for tomorrow that is at least 3 miles and maybe could be 5.

Thanks for stopping by!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 27, 2015 12:34 am

Glad your house is out of the flood area, and I'm glad you didn't get caught in it while driving. Some of those images from the flooding were quite striking.

I assume this means drought concerns are over for now?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 27, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks.  For southeast Texas, the drought was over a month ago and no place in Texas is in an 'Exceptional' drought for two weeks, now.  Houston hasn't hit 90 degrees, yet.

This El Nino is part of it, but the southern jet stream has been right over Houston for a long while and it allows these upper Low pressure impulses to just ride the jet stream from California and tap into the moisture from the Gulf, as it heads to the Northeast part of the US.

The positive thing about this jet stream is that when hurricane season starts (June 1-Nov 30), no self-respecting tropical disturbance will even get close to Houston.  Louisiana and east will be getting it.

-30-
I ran 4.5 miles, this morning.  It was 79 degrees, but by being so close to the Gulf, I had a constant south breeze of about 10 mph, so it didn't feel like 79 in Houston.  12:48 pace and just under 1 hour.

I am transitioning back over to a low carb/high fat diet until February.  I should be feeling tired and out of energy for the next few weeks, which is affectionately known as "Carb Flu" in the LC/HF bunch.  I'm staying in a hotel that has a decent kitchen in it, so I can do the sautéing that I need to do.  So long cookies and ice cream!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 28, 2015 10:00 am

This morning was a rest day, which is sort of weird to type since I've only ran once this week.  However, I'll be working on running around 7, 8, or 9 miles tomorrow morning before driving back to Houston around noon.  One of the nice things about a travel day is that, so far, I don't have to go to the job site on Friday morning because I can work from the hotel and take conference calls from the hotel.  Therefore, I can recuperate in the room and pack.

I have to come up with a schedule in this transitional period of base building for the summer.  Once I flip the switch on the company, I'll be better able to run a little more conveniently since I'll be working from home.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 28, 2015 10:09 am

Nice that you can manage to throw yourself into the HF/LC regimen even while you're on the road. A kitchenette helps tremendously.

That breeze sounds heavenly. Nothing worse than hot, humid and stifling.

Good news on the drought. It call came in so fast and flashed through streambeds so quickly, I wasn't sure if it had time to soak in.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 28, 2015 10:29 am

Well, we've been in a rainy period since maybe November, about 20 inches from January to April.  So, it's been a gradual thing.  I remember for 2011, Houston received only 11 inches of rain, instead of the normal 50 inches.  This month...so far, we've received 15 inches, with another couple of inches possible before Monday.

The tiger mosquito species should go ape shit over the next couple of weeks.  They attach their larvae to weeds and wait until the water level rises high enough to activate the growth.  They swarm, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 28, 2015 12:11 pm

My nephew and his family moved to Oregon this week...from Dallas.  They are not to disappointed to be leaving the tornados, droughts and floods behind.  We're happy to have them.

Hope the running and the new business venture are both going well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Your talk of the mosquitos made me chuckle as I wait here for the Mayflies (or midges) off the lake which should come in the next couple of weeks.  They seem to be later every year as we have had longer cold spells.  I also read something that really made me laugh as we are do for the 17 yr cicadas next summer - just in time for the Republican National Convention.  Not sure which will eat more, talk more, and/or be morr annoying - lol.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu May 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Your talk of the mosquitos made me chuckle as I wait here for the Mayflies (or midges) off the lake which should come in the next couple of weeks.  They seem to be later every year as we have had longer cold spells.  I also read something that really made me laugh as we are do for the 17 yr cicadas next summer - just in time for the Republican National Convention.  Not sure which will eat more, talk more, and/or be morr annoying - lol.
or crap more  Very Happy
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 pm

mountandog wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Your talk of the mosquitos made me chuckle as I wait here for the Mayflies (or midges) off the lake which should come in the next couple of weeks.  They seem to be later every year as we have had longer cold spells.  I also read something that really made me laugh as we are do for the 17 yr cicadas next summer - just in time for the Republican National Convention.  Not sure which will eat more, talk more, and/or be morr annoying - lol.
or crap more  Very Happy
Are the cicadas making the noise to attract a mate?  Assuming so, it's appropriate they're both going to be in town at the same time because the result is that someone is going to get screwed.

On another subject, Houston hit 90 today at the big airport.  I found this out while checking the forecast for tomorrow's drive home:

HOUSTON IAH DID REACH 90F TODAY WHICH IS THE FIRST TIME
HITTING 90 DEGREES IN 2015. THE LAST TIME HOUSTON IAH HAD A 90
[url=http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=DEGREE DAY]DEGREE DAY[/url] WAS OCTOBER 10 2014. AVERAGE 1ST DAY OF 90 DEGREES AT
HOUSTON IAH IS AROUND MAY 7.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Woot! 90°!

cheers cheers cheers

Oh, wait. Best not expose those armpits, eh?

What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 29, 2015 9:32 am

Mark B wrote:Woot! 90°!

cheers cheers cheers

Oh, wait. Best not expose those armpits, eh?

What a Face

It had been warm enough in the mornings to make it seem like it was going to be 90 degrees in those afternoons.

-30-

My plan to run, this morning, was scuttled as an outflow boundary was racing to the coast with thunderstorm warnings ahead of it.  Outflow boundaries create a lot of wind as a result and can be colored red and yellow on the radar.  It wasn't worth running in such conditions.  The good thing about this rain (which also happened in Houston) is that it has settled down the atmosphere to not cause really bad storms, this afternoon.

After a late morning meeting, it's off to Houston then back here on Sunday night.  Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum