365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Rebuilding the Run

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rebuilding the Run

Post  Tom H on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:05 pm

I did take the bike out for a 10 mile shakedown ride and liked the feel quite a bit, so first impression is good.  The real test won't come until I do a 50 or 60 mile ride, but that's not going to be for a while as I'm focusing on running right now.  That is, unless I get talked into it by one of my sneaky cycling friends.

Fluff and Buddy?  Hmm, I wouldn't be surprised to find they each have an email account and at night, when we are soundly sleeping and dreaming of PR's, they are communicating and conspiring using our conveniently located computers.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Good call, Nancy (re: fluffy and Buddy)! Love the pic of Buddy.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:25 am

North Ridgeville isn't really too far from me, and the "ridges" are the east-west roads like Detroit, Center Ridge, Lorain.  If you look at a topographic map, you can actually see the rises above the lake - of course, not very noticeable even while running.  I head to Hinkley or South Chagrin (Bedford) for hills or I run up and out of the metroparks here several times!

I, too, did a 7 mile tempo yesterday.  We do a mile easy and then settle into pace and then after the 7 we do a mile cool down.  

Love the picture of Buddy!  My dog hates the car and she would never hang her head out.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:15 am

@Tom H wrote:Mark, I've got to make the drive up to the course and at least drive it to see what I'm in for and try and find some similar terrain down here in the Bay Area.  How runnable do you think the rolling hills part of the course would be (safety wise) during the day?  Are there good stretches of not-too-busy road?

Absolutely, as long as you don't run right up the middle of the road. There are decent shoulders in most parts, and sidewalks in others. You should be fine.

Buddy looks like a great coach/training partner. Smile

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:24 am

Michele, thanks for the ridge clarification.  My wife and I have been wondering about that one since we moved there in the early 80's.

Yesterday's run was an easy effort, a 6 mile LHR run.  Managed an 8:38 pace and average HR of 133.  Had the Garmin on, but didn't really pay any attention to it during the run.  That's really odd for me but tells me that I did rally manage to make it a relaxed run.  Looking at my schedule for today, I find it isn't the 7 mile tempo I thought (that jewel is next Monday) but rather 18 with the last 10 minutes fast.  Weather is perfect, upper fifties and overcast, so just about time to take the dogs around for their morning constitutional/my run warm up and get the day going.

As a side note, should I count the dog walking as part of training?  I was doing the mental math the other day and it turns out I walk them a minimum of 1,000 miles/year.  That's gotta count for something!  And Mark, coach - maybe.  Running partners, no, they decline to run.  They are good for about 100 yards then they transform into boat anchors.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:54 am

I've got to admit I'm liking the trail running.  Just getting out now and so I have a wide set of options open to me within 45 minutes or so, just have to do the homework of finding them.  Couple of pics from last Wednesday's run at Lake Chabot which is an East Bay regional park:

We did the loop around the lake along with a detour at the end to conquer one more hill.  Kinda underestimated the hill as it was one of those where you come around the corner and "there's the peak!" until you hit the peak and it is "wait, another climb" hills.  A mix of paved path and dirt trails, so the legs get a proper workout.  Saw a map of the park and noticed with a left instead of a right at one point, there are a whole new set of trails to explore.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Nice trails, Tom! Watch out for rattlers.

And beware the whole dog-as-anchor thing. Drag them too much, and you'll start getting interested in CrossFit. Wink
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Very nice looking trails!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:36 am

Life sure is busy these days, but in a good way.  Yesterday's run was 18 with 10 minutes starting at mile 16 as a HARD run, in this case at a 7:58 pace.  The theory on these is to get used to pushing tired legs and be able to turn on the jets in case that 3:34:59 is looking in jeopardy.  After the trail run earlier in the week, the legs were tired for the 18-miler so the 10 minute push was a great test.  Then today followed up with an 11 mile comfortable run, averaging a pace of 8:47 at an average HR of 137, and at no time did I ever get my HR out of zone 1 although 1.9 and I were friends in the last few miles.

We've had a few daylight burglaries in our neighborhood over the past few months.  The MO is that the bad guys ring the doorbell and if nobody answers, they find and entry point and do the deed.  One of the people that got hit was my training partner, so the issue is near and dear to my heart.  Well, to make a short story long, I was walking Buddy yesterday when the basset hound in him found an interesting scent and he took a big snort.  Unfortunately that snort included two foxtails which went deep into his right nostril.  He was sneezing incessantly trying to get the foxtails out, but I had to take him to the vet.  It was late in the day and they had to put him under general anesthesia to get the foxtails out, so he was not able to come home until this morning - which puts us back on track with the beginning of the paragraph. 

At 9:00 my wife left to go to the vet to get Buddy and I was waiting at home for a tree guy to come and give us a quote on some work we need done.  The doorbell rings and I answer it, but it isn't the tree guy, it's some 20-something guy who asks "Does Robert live here?".  I respond with a negative, he mumbles something and walks away.  As he does so, I notice there is no car in front of my house, the normal place people park when coming to the front door.  So I continue watching him as he goes down about 2 houses and across the street and climbs into a silver VW hatchback that has a second guy slouched down in the passenger street.  They do a U-turn and drive off.  I tried to get the license plate, but was unable to.  Makes me wonder if I hadn't been here if my house would have been the next target hit.  My dogs are pretty loud and the basset in them makes them sound bigger than they are, so I'm thinking someone looking for an easy mark would likely keep looking, but this was in my head all day.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Oh dear, I'm glad your house was not burgled, but sorry about your running friend. Would that car info be useful to the police, are they collecting clues to try to find these guys and you would have a reasonable enough guess to tie the car to it even if you didn't have a license plate?
Good job on your long run.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:47 am

Julie, they actually caught and arrested the guys who burgled my partner's house using good police forensics.  They pulled a fingerprint from the window the bad guys used for entry and it was in the system.  Unfortunately, others either in the same ring or operating separately are still around.

So I told you about the foxtail incident, right?  I've see a lot of foxtails and so was a bit surprised to see what my dog had hoarnked up into his nose.  The vet was kind enough to send them home as either a souvenir for his puppy photo album or as proof of work being done, but none the less, here is what was far enough up his nose there was nothing you could see just peering in there:

The vet said we were one of the few who brings the dog in right away, most people wait 2-3 days not knowing that the dog has something lodged up there and attribute the sneezing to a cold or allergy.  In those cases, he says, things can get messy.  I'm glad for the sake of the dog that we took him in.  That being said, for the same amount I could get the new sexy Garmin 920xt, so the next time I start sneezing . . .

Yesterday was a welcome rest day after last weeks record mileage.  I must have said it already, but a 61.65 mile week in my book is beyond what I thought I would ever do.  This cycle is really way above the marathon training I've done in the past both in terms of intensity and distance.  Isn't it great when you discover you are capable of more than you thought you were?
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:16 am

Good news on several fronts! (Though maybe not for your wallet.)

Glad for your dog that you're a responsible pet owner. That could have caused a lot of misery for your pup.

Let's hope the arrest they made at your partner's house spins off and nabs more of them.

Great mileage! Keep this up, and I think CIM is going to be a great race for you.

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Glorious run today.  Officially is supposed to be the last hot day of the year, peaking at 88 degrees.  Started at 9:15ish and finished at a temp of 80 degrees.  Happy to see lower temps arriving.  Today was 13 with 6 at a MP decending to tempo starting at mile 6.  It was actually a challenging but fun run, knowing each mile was going to get harder as you got more tired and the temp increased.  Nailed the paces and feel pretty good, so call it a success!
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Your blog is starting to rival mine with the highs and lows...  Hope things level out a bit for you.  

I thought I recognized those pictures from your trail run - I hiked Redwood Park (off Skyline) last year, and it looks very similar.  There's also a massive hill (if you go clockwise) at the end.  

Nice job on the run today.  Sounds like a fun workout.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Today was an easy run after yesterday's challenging one.  It was supposed to be 30 minutes, but when I started out the legs were really tight.  They didn't loosen up until mile 3, so I decided to do 5 miles instead so I could give the legs a good stretch. 

So for the last two years it's been all about Triathlon and I haven't run in any races.  As a result, my weekly run totals were almost always in the 20's, on just a couple of weeks cresting 30.  I knew I was going to have to ramp it up for CIM and was a bit worried on how the body would handle it, but so far so good.  Here's the progression:

The week of 7/20 was the ironman distance tri, so 26.2 of that was the race.  The better part of the following two weeks represents me running in circles (OK, ovals) on the promenade deck of a cruise ship.  I had an Olympic distance tri on the week of 9/7 and started to blend in some of the CIM training in the weeks prior, and then it was time to focus on the run.  I was betting on the aerobic system being OK with the increase in activity due to the tri training and just hoping the rest of the body would go along for the ride.  Thus far, so good, and this week is supposed to be a stepback week, something in the 40's.  So I went back and looked at my training for my last marathon, Eugene, and my peak weeks were in the 40's.  That seems kind of amazing to me.  But I also just figured out that my shoes now have a lifetime of about 8 weeks.  I guess I can live with that.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Pretty impressive increase in mileage. You're going to be well prepared for CIM. That was my first marathon and will always be a special memory for me.

I find your mention of mileage during tri training intriguing. Were you able to train for your ironman on only 20-30 running miles per week?
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Nancy, I was able to train for the IM with those levels of running miles.  I started building a base in all disciplines in January, the actual training plan kicked in starting at the beginning of April.  Here's what run miles looked like over the entire period:

Swimming was in the range of 6,000-10,000/week and bike 75-160 miles.  I don't think this could be called an advanced plan by any stretch of the imagination, but this was my first IM so was looking for a plan I felt I would be able to follow all the way through.  It turned out to be very doable, and got me to the starting line confident.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Today's run called for 9 miles with hills.  We have a local regional park that sits right on SF Bay called Coyote Hills.  I've spent a lot of time running the paved trails that go around the hills, but never really attacked the hills.  Well, today Jenn, my training partner, decided that it was the day I got an introduction to them.  Here's what it looked like:

Wow, that was fun, challenging, exhausting, beautiful, and the list goes on.  Various muscles in my legs and glutes are already registering their wth comments, comments I'm sure will be even more vocal tomorrow morning when I get out of bed.  I do feel like I got a total workout, and that's a good thing.

I forgot to put on my Garmin which is a shame because I would have loved to have been able to see the HR data (I did have on the HR strap, for what it is worth!) but had Jenn send me her data.  I was really surprised to see we averaged a 9:46 pace on this as I thought it would have come in well over a 10:00.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Was this a loop, doesn't look like an out and back?
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Jim, it was a loop the loop.  There are lots of hills and trails in a relatively small space at this park.  So the run route looked like this:

Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Oh, those are trails?

Whew! For a second there, I thought you were getting chased by the squirrels again. Wink
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Last time the squirrels and I had an incident if you recall, and I suspect you do, it didn't end so well for the rodent. Although I do admit I may have squealed like a girl when he zigged right and I zagged left and he ended up underfoot.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 pm

A nice easy five miles along the creek, blue skies and bright sunshine with temps in the upper 50's.  A little slice of heaven.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:59 pm

@Tom H wrote:Jim, it was a loop the loop.  There are lots of hills and trails in a relatively small space at this park.  So the run route looked like this:

This shows that drugs and running should never be mixed.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:44 pm

@Tom H wrote:

Looks like a fun run. I always like the runs that take you away from the monotony of the same road or path everyday. How often to you plan on running these?
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top