365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Julie's market to market 50K report

Go down

Julie's market to market 50K report

Post  Julie on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:45 am

Market to Market 50K report
Over a year ago I decided to run this race because it finishes in my city and would require no overnight stay away or long car ride for my kids. A year ago I was barely running a few miles at a 13+ minute pace trying to recover from a really difficult twin pregnancy with 6 weeks of complete bed rest at the end and surgical birth. Omaha Marathon didn’t appeal to me enough to make it my goal race and I figured that since I ran a 50K when Jocelyn was 15 mos, I could get back into shape enough to run a 50K with 14 mo old boys.
I followed the ultra ladies 50K plan very closely other than one 26 miler I cut back 2 weeks before Omaha marathon and another long run I turned to 15 mi not feeling the best. Otherwise I was pretty spot on with training.

It was a beautiful day for a run. We had our first frost Saturday morning. The race started at 11:00 and we had to be bussed out to minimize congestion along the trail. The bus was late getting there so we had about 8 minutes to get our timing chips, drop off our bag and go potty. 52 degrees at start, clear, light wind. The whole race except for a few mi at the end, is run on the MoPac trail, which was part of the Missouri-Pacific rail road. It’s mostly crushed limestone  except the last 10K was pavement. I have biked and run on this trail many, many times which I think helped me mentally at least to know where I was after the first 10 or so miles. Originally my friend Jen and I were going to run together but she didn’t feel mentally into Omaha and I was worried that she is still so busy she wouldn’t want to go all out for the 50K either and I really wanted to run my best since this is my big goal race (she has no goal races, she’s a Marathon Maniac and is running 3 more marathons before Thanksgiving). In the end, she and 3 of her friends (1 of them is a mutual friend) decided to run 3 minutes, walk a minute set to one of the lady’s Garmins. OK for them but I very much listen to my body, not to a watch and just have to do my own thing. So after 3 minutes I went up the gravel hill and on my own. It was really great, there were 2 waves of 50Kers and only 150 total so there were maybe 75 of us running our own race. I could see someone at any given time but didn’t typically run side by side anyone. I really loved that. I told myself numerous times to run my own race and not go slower or faster for anyone. (edit: there were 120 finishers).

I felt like I was going really steady. There was a cut-off at mile 21 at 4:30 and a 7 hr time limit. Of course in my taper madness I had dreams about missing the cutoff and really worried about it. It ended up being kind of fun, I just played a little mental game with myself figuring out how many miles till mile 21 and what pace I would need to get there. I was fairly steady around 11:00 pace and the cut off was around 14 so my margin kept getting bigger and bigger. By mile 5 ish my left knee meniscus area was getting tender. I tried to deny it but it really did hurt. At mile 21 with the drop bag I put biofreeze on it and that seemed to help.

There were 8 aid stations, I think and everyone was very helpful. We had to carry our own water bottle so I could just say I wanted water and they’d fill it up for me. The one problem I had nutritionally was the 11:00 start so by the end I was getting hungry because it was late afternoon and I had only eaten breakfast and the jelly beans and potato chips at the aid stations.

The race is in conjunction with a 2000 person or so relay and that was actually more or less  nice because they’d pass me,  I’d remind me to run my own pace and most of them would say good job or something else encouraging. Around mile 24 I was just a few blocks from home and told one of the relay runners how close I was to home and how I’d just love to go home. She told me to think about how good I’d feel at the finish.

My parents came out and cheered for me at 3 places and the 3rd, my husband and kids were there so I could nurse the babies around mile 21. Then my husband and kids were at another stop and then the finish.

This is turning out really long so I better wrap it up but basically, I ran 6:09 including all the breaks. I would have been just under 6 if I hadn’t stopped to nurse but I really think we all needed it and it was good to see my family. My first 50K, 4 yrs ago, was 5:29 and actually I was pleasantly surprised that I was only about a minute/mile slower when you consider the nursing stop and the extra tiredness from having twins oh and fighting off bronchitis and a sinus infection right now.
After the race I had some really bad GI issues that have persisted through this morning. I ended up calling my parents to ask for advice because I was worried I took too many salt caplets (my mom is an RN and dad a PA) and my dad suggested I eat something and that did help. I think going all day with just drinking (and I drank a ton plus took a salt caplet at least every hr) and not eating really hurt me. I didn’t weigh myself before the race but I weigh 4 lbs less than normal this morning so I am guessing I’m dehydrated.

Maybe no more ultras for me, that’s what I said, but I truly have no desire to run further than a 50K at this time. It was really pretty tough but at the same time, really great. I felt like my training prepared me really well and I was able to  keep running for most of the race. I definitely took my time at aid stations and any hills I just walked and tried to walk with a decent pace.

Thanks all for the support! Really appreciate it and I thought of you all during the race.

1 12:50 (really closer to 1.25 miles, misplaced marker).
2  9:23 (closer to .75 miles, I believe)
3 10;59
4 11;22
5 11;43
6 10;50
7 12;35 (aid station/potty)
8 10;42
9 10;52
10 10:34
11 10;43
12 10;45
13 11:12
14 11:48 (aid station/potty)
15 10:53
16 10:56
17 10:47
18 11;14 (aid)
19 10:31
20 10:49
21 16:10 (aid station with potty. Drop bag, lots of food)
22 21:17 (spent 10 minutes nursing)
23 11:28
24 13:03 (aid station)
25 11:30
26 11:28
27 14:49 (aid station with potty stop)
28 11:51
29 12:35 (aid station)
30 10:27

31 12:something, forgot to hit watch.

Pictures - 

nursing Josiah before the start

just a few yards from finish, blowing kiss to my kids, what can I say, I love them.

Good view of the typical scenery, in case I can convince any of you to run this. 

Last edited by Julie on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's market to market 50K report

Post  KBFitz on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:53 am

Wow! That's quite an accomplishment to get back into shape to complete an ultra so soon after bringing twins into the world. I think you've got distance and endurance in your blood ... and more ultras in your future. Nicely done!
KBFitz
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:11 pm

I don't know if you've heard of the Badass Breastfeeder (my girlfriend is a huge fan of the site/its cause), but your mile 22 comment seems apropos for them.  

Congrats on a very successful race - there's no significant fade in your splits and it looks like you pushed through quite a bit of adversity to train for/finish this one.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Well done, Julie.

Congratulations!
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Wow! Anybody looking for guidance on how to properly run an ultra need look no further than this report.

You did exactly what you needed to do to make this a successful race. (Goal setting, training, in-race management.) That you did it only a year after a tough pregnancy and delivery, and that you stopped to breastfeed with a third of the race to go just makes it more impressive.

Congratulations! Enjoy your recovery and refueling. (And I won't be surprised to see another ultra on your horizon.)
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:21 pm

I knew you would be great and you were!  Congrats on an awesome run as I can only imagine what training has been like with your incredibly full life.  don't give up on those ultras as your splits are pretty darn good.  Congrats to you!  You are definitely a badass breastfeeder and I mean that in a total in awe way.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:37 pm

@KBFitz wrote:Wow! That's quite an accomplishment to get back into shape to complete an ultra so soon after bringing twins into the world. I think you've got distance and endurance in your blood ... and more ultras in your future. Nicely done!

Thanks Kevin! My running group calls me the energizer bunny of the group, just slow and steady so I guess that's good for long distances but the time spent in training was a pretty big commitment this time. That and I think it would have been a lot easier to finish at 26.2 miles instead of continuing on!  Very Happy
@Mike MacLellan wrote:I don't know if you've heard of the Badass Breastfeeder (my girlfriend is a huge fan of the site/its cause), but your mile 22 comment seems apropos for them.  

Congrats on a very successful race - there's no significant fade in your splits and it looks like you pushed through quite a bit of adversity to train for/finish this one.

Thanks Mike! I have heard of that site, not on it ,but I'll be sure to share pics with the lactation consultant who helped me so much and directs and independent breastfeeding center in Lincoln, she likes to use my pics in presentations. So glad your gf is a big fan! It's so helpful for mom and her children even if it's not always easy.

@Tim C wrote:Well done, Julie.

Congratulations!

Thanks Tim!

@Mark B wrote:Wow! Anybody looking for guidance on how to properly run an ultra need look no further than this report.

You did exactly what you needed to do to make this a successful race. (Goal setting, training, in-race management.) That you did it only a year after a tough pregnancy and delivery, and that you stopped to breastfeed with a third of the race to go just makes it more impressive.

Congratulations! Enjoy your recovery and refueling. (And I won't be surprised to see another ultra on your horizon.)

Thanks Mark! That's quite the compliment, appreciate it. We just do what we have to, right? I think I always have the fear of not getting back into shape, too, after a baby so having a big goal helps motivate me. 
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I knew you would be great and you were!  Congrats on an awesome run as I can only imagine what training has been like with your incredibly full life.  don't give up on those ultras as your splits are pretty darn good.  Congrats to you!  You are definitely a badass breastfeeder and I mean that in a total in awe way.

Thanks Michele! It was challenging, especially before they ate solids, trying to time my runs for their afternoon naps or running out the door as soon as they were done nursing. My first long run of the year, my husband called me at mile 9 saying Noah woke up early and asked me when I was going to be home. It all worked out and he was content to wait for me but it was always a challenge. One reason I do mention breastfeeding is because I want people to know that it is possible to nurse multiples (it was one of the toughest things ever the first 3 mos, but possible, and we got through the hard times to get to the easy times). When I was pregnant with my daughter one of my co-workers said if I had twins I'd just formula feed and her mom was even a big breastfeeding advocate, well, I just don't want people to discourage a mom although I totally understand why moms give up. I had great support and already got through a very difficult first year with my daughter and knew it was worth it so that helped.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Great job, Julie!  Noah is going to be a very considerate person for waiting about 2 hours.  But he maybe knew that it's worth the wait.

So, what's up next?
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 pm

@ounce wrote:Great job, Julie!  Noah is going to be a very considerate person for waiting about 2 hours.  But he maybe knew that it's worth the wait.

So, what's up next?

They both have to be patient!!

I am not sure, open to suggestions. Is it sad I spent some time looking up races today because it makes me a little antsy to not have anything on the schedule? I don't want to drive too far but Lincoln Marathon doesn't terribly appeal since I've run the full 2x and the half 3x and I'd kind of like a change. Then again I don't want the kids to get bored in the car for a long ride. Then again....I need a bunch of states for my 50 states goal but the only close ones are OK, CO, and WY and they're not super close anyway.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:07 am

Awesome Julie.  feeding the kids well into the race - now that's a new one for me.  well done.  Excellent splits all the way through.
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Congratulations Julie!!! Awesome race. I am glad to see that all of your hard work paid off Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:20 pm

@mountandog wrote:Awesome Julie.  feeding the kids well into the race - now that's a new one for me.  well done.  Excellent splits all the way through.

Thank you! Yeah, the race director's first time for it, too. If I could have just driven to the start line I wouldn't have had to but with having to leave 2 hrs before the start, it was necessary. In the end, I wasn't going for first place or anything so it all worked out.

@Nick Morris wrote:Congratulations Julie!!!  Awesome race.  I am glad to see that all of your hard work paid off Smile

Thanks Nick! See, the madness paid off, right?  Very Happy
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Good job! Impressive to make a nursing stop! 

Now, how the heck did I know about this race?!?!?! I love the MOPAC and you ran right by one of my geocaches on it.  Very Happy 

I'm putting this on the calendar for next year. I'll fly out for the weekend to see my family and do it!
carleenp
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Julie, you are truly inspiring.  You did everything right and never lost sight of the fact the your family was the most important thing of all.  Methinks your children have very lucky to have you as their mom.  You are going to be a great role model for them as they grow up.  Congratulations on a great performance.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:28 pm

Great job, Julie. Knowing the problems you've had with your knee/leg over the past few years, this is a great race, especially coming off the pregnancy. Congratulations.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:04 am

Way to go Julie. You had the strength to will yourself back. And I can't even imagine stopping to nurse. Well done. Congrats on a great day.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:37 am

Julie, great job on the 50K!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Those splits are pretty impressive. Looks like you knew exactly what you were capable of and managed the race well. I'm still amazed that you stopped along the way to nurse the boys. I don't think I would be able to get my legs going again after stopping for that long!

Very impressive race. I hope you're recovering well...and planning your next goal.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:31 pm

@carleenp wrote:Good job! Impressive to make a nursing stop! 

Now, how the heck did I know about this race?!?!?! I love the MOPAC and you ran right by one of my geocaches on it.  Very Happy 

I'm putting this on the calendar for next year. I'll fly out for the weekend to see my family and do it!

Carleen- I don't know! There are so many teams on the relay, it's pretty huge then of course a pretty small 50K. I would recommend it with the disclaimer of the 11:00 start so it could get hot. We had very pleasant weather this year but some years are hot, and a few yrs ago there was snow. (hello Nebraska)!

@Tom H wrote:Julie, you are truly inspiring.  You did everything right and never lost sight of the fact the your family was the most important thing of all.  Methinks your children have very lucky to have you as their mom.  You are going to be a great role model for them as they grow up.  Congratulations on a great performance.

Thank you, Tom, that was very kind of you. I really appreciate that. I love my family very much.
@JohnP wrote:Great job, Julie. Knowing the problems you've had with your knee/leg over the past few years, this is a great race, especially coming off the pregnancy. Congratulations.

Thanks John. I was asking myself during the race why I didn't spend some time doing my PT exercises this summer....

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Way to go Julie. You had the strength to will yourself back. And I can't even imagine stopping to nurse. Well done. Congrats on a great day.

Thanks Alex. It felt great, I'm really glad I did it.

@Jim Lentz wrote:Julie, great job on the 50K!

Thanks Jim!

@nkrichards wrote:Those splits are pretty impressive.  Looks like you knew exactly what you were capable of and managed the race well.  I'm still amazed that you stopped along the way to nurse the boys.  I don't think I would be able to get my legs going again after stopping for that long!

Very impressive race.  I hope you're recovering well...and planning your next goal.

Thanks Nancy, I might have been a little stiff standing back up....haha...but it was OK. A little sore going down stairs and I haven't tried to run yet but yes I have planned my next goal, I'm pretty sure. In spite of running it a few times before I think I'll run Lincoln Marathon in May. The comfort of my own bed and a very short drive to the start and all the friend support I'll have appeals to me more than another pin in my map. And it's a good marathon, too.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:44 pm

What a come back race!!  Congratulations!  Glad to hear that the Ultra-Ladies schedule worked out for you as that is what I plan to follow when I finish base building.
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks Dot! Yes, that training plan was great, they won't steer you wrong! I at first didn't know about running just 4 miles on some of the days but then I just decided to enjoy sleeping a little bit later and I think it paid off giving my knees the extra rest they needed.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:08 pm

@Julie wrote:

@Nick Morris wrote:Congratulations Julie!!!  Awesome race.  I am glad to see that all of your hard work paid off Smile

Thanks Nick! See, the madness paid off, right?  Very Happy

It almost always does Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down