365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to Basics

+19
John Kilpatrick
Joel H
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Jim Lentz
Chris M
Penelope
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
Natalie
Seth Harrison
Diego
fostever
Schuey
Kenny B.
Bob
Dave-O
Matt W
GregC
23 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Back to Basics - Page 4 Empty Re: Back to Basics

Post  Bob Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Did this blog get shut down?
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:51 pm

I think he quit running to become a full-time young women's softball coach. I heard he's raising an elite prospect.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Ran into him on the lakefront today!

So Greg how did that tempo run go?

Good to see and talk to you today.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:49 pm

I don't like to concede anything, especially when it has something to do with my running. I like to think I can handle anything that a training "plan" can throw at me. I like to think that I can handle the heavy mileage and still handle the hard workouts, and not let it affect my work and my family life. I like to think that, but it's not always the case. Sometimes, you have to make concessions.

So the last time I updated this thing was 8/14 and I was just getting over an ankle injury. Thankfully, that ankle issue never popped back up so I was able to get back to regular training over the past few weeks, but unfortunately, I continue to struggle with my workouts. During my 3 week blogging hiatus, I logged the following mileage:

8/15-8/21: 114 miles
8/22 - 8/28: 81 miles
8/29 - 9/4: 110 miles

If you just look at those numbers at face value, you'd say things are going good, but the workouts just aren't there. My 8 mile tempo, which has been a staple in my training for years is still a struggle. I'm struggling to even hit MP on the run. There have been some decent ones in there, but the consistency isn't there. Which gets me to my concession speech. I think the mileage is getting me. I've never run this many 110+ miles in my life, and maybe at age 38, now isn't the time to introduce it. So as we enter T-5 weeks to Chicago, I'm going to be cutting mileage in an effort to start hitting these workouts. I think the big mileage served it's purpose, but the price I'm paying is too much. A recovery day withs runs of 9 & 6 miles, regardless of pace, just isn't getting me to where I need to be. So the next 3 weeks will be a focus on workouts and just filling in the rest of the days with truly easy, short runs.

And maybe it's working. After two days of double recovery 6 & 6 miles runs, I did a cruise interval session with 6 X 1 mile with a .2 mile jog between each. I do these on a .4 mile loop around a park, so the .2 mile recovery just works out logistically. With the way that my workouts have been going I just had a goal of completing this one with all the miles being under 5:30. And I did. With splits of 5:26, 5:25, 5:21, 5:19, 5:18, & 5:17. It was a nice confidence booster.

Am I back? I don't know. I definitely don't have a lot of room for error and if things don't go very well over the next 3 weeks, I'll have to re-evaluate goals for Chicago. But once I took a step back and looked at my training, it really does seem to be just a simple case of trying to do too much (over-tr, er, over-traini..., uh, over-trtrtr...ah. I can't say it). My only good workouts have come immediately following times of forced lay-off or days where I had a few easy days before hand.

Now I'm not dropping down to 50 miles or anything. I'll probably still be right around 100 per week for the next 3 weeks, but my recovery days will top out at 6 miles per run. The focus will be on recovery, not on hitting an arbitrary number. But I'm sick. I know this. Even with the evidence laid out in front of me that's this is what I need to do, I still find myself plotting for ways to keep the mileage up in the 115 range. What can I say. I'm a work in progress.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Greg, cutting the mileage at this point sounds like the smart thing to do. I bet as you do you see that you do much better at nailing your workouts.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Yeah, 38 - so very old, I mean it was the last year that I ran a sub 3:30 marathon easily on 45 mpw, so yup, you're over the hill. Just kidding Greg as you know. You're a smart guy and you know that listening to your body will always produce the best results. If you are dragging, then there are often reasons - family stuff (those beautiful chillins I'm sure demand their Daddy time), diet stuff (are you iron deficient? you can be you know), etc. - so you are smart to continue to evaluate and re-evaluate. Heck, even 50 mile weeks with lots of quality might do the trick Twisted Evil
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:44 pm

If it helps, I'm doing the same. Ran 105 last week and plan to be the same this week. The 110-120 weeks get me. I was under-recovering (much easier to type than over-tra...).

You got plenty of time to fine-tune and hit some workouts. The 6 x 1 mile was a really good start.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Cutting the mileage is great and everything, but how's your trail running coming along? Let's get to what's important.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Good luck with the training, and it sounds like you're being wise to re-assess and cut back if you're persistently struggling. Hopefully even a small reducting in your miles will give your running back the energy / spark you need.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4