365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heart Rate

+10
charles
Kenny B.
Jerry
Michael Enright
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
Mark B
Tom H
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
14 posters

Go down

Heart Rate Empty Heart Rate

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Out of curiousity:

What is your resting heart rate?

What time of day and how often do you check it?

What is your end of a 5K butt busting HR?

Do you wear a HR monitor when running?

Do you use your HR data to modify your runs or do you use running pace?

Do you use it to determine if you are reaching into overtraining status and

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Heart Rate Empty Re: Heart Rate

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:26 pm

40-42

Morning...Every couple of months

171ish

All of my longer runs (usually 10 or more miles)

Both

Yes

Long Run HR in the upper 150s
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:32 pm

[quote="John Kilpatrick"]Out of curiousity:

What is your resting heart rate? "normal" is 52

What time of day and how often do you check it? First thing in the morning, before getting out of bed. When feeling OK, rarely. When feeling niggles or tired a lot, as needed to determine if it is elevated.

What is your end of a 5K butt busting HR? Don't know, never run one.

Do you wear a HR monitor when running? Yes

Do you use your HR data to modify your runs or do you use running pace? This a last cycle is all about LHR for most runs. Use it religiously

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training... Don't use the HR monitor for this, use the resting HR. If it is elevated by more than a few beats (as it has been recently) it is an indicator that I may need to back off.[/quote]
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Out of curiousity:

What is your resting heart rate? About 46-48

What time of day and how often do you check it? Usually late afternoon, after I've been sitting on my butt all day at work. I check it occasionally.

What is your end of a 5K butt busting HR? 193

Do you wear a HR monitor when running? Used to all the time (I did low heart rate training).

Do you use your HR data to modify your runs or do you use running pace? I ran by HR and adjusted pace to keep the HR steady.

Do you use it to determine if you are reaching into overtraining status ... I have... by conducting regular MAF tests, tracking speed at my aerobic heart rate. If I was getting faster at the same HR (in repeatable conditions, like at a track), I was progressing; if I was slowing down, it was a sign of overtraining.

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training... My concern wouldn't be heart rate, but performance at that target heart rate.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:24 pm

What is your resting heart rate? 34

What time of day and how often do you check it? First thing in the morning when I wake-up.

What is your end of a 5K butt busting HR? N/A, I've only raced 1 5k that was back in 05 and I didn't wear a HR monitor then. During a training run I have had my HR up to 195

Do you wear a HR monitor when running? Sometimes, I gage my effort off of feel. I don't wear it in races because I really don't care about HR data that much, plus I race off effort rather then some number that may or may not be correct.

Do you use your HR data to modify your runs or do you use running pace? No I let my feel gage how I run. I will use my Resting HR in the morning to have an idea on how I will approach that days run. If my resting HR is 5 beats or higher then normal I will change my run to a recovery run or even a day off.

Do you use it to determine if you are reaching into overtraining status ... Again by looking at my morning resting HR I feel that helps keep me out of overtraining status.

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training... I run on feel and let my own feel of my body and effort decided when I need to back off during a run. Again as for before a run it is my morning resting HR and if it 5 beats or higher then my normal morning resting HR, then I will start thinking about changing my run or even taking a day off, it just depends.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 pm

Technically, this is supposed to be first thing in the morning, so I don't know, as I've never checked then. But if I'm just sitting on the couch reading or watching TV, high 40s to low 50s.

See above.

Probably ~195-200. Haven't tested that in a long time.

When I don't lose my strap, yes.

Pace for pace-important runs, HR for things like GA and tempo.

Yep.

My HR plummets on runs/rides when I'm overreaching. It'll shoot up to normal values when I'm pushing it, but for steady easy efforts, it's 5-15bpm lower than normal.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:What is your resting heart rate?
38-40 so far

John Kilpatrick wrote:What time of day and how often do you check it?
First thing in the morning, before I get out of bed.

John Kilpatrick wrote:What is your end of a 5K butt busting HR?

John Kilpatrick wrote:Do you wear a HR monitor when running?
I have started to more often

John Kilpatrick wrote:Do you use your HR data to modify your runs or do you use running pace?
I have just used running pace to date and what feels good, but I may start trying to learn how to use HR for running and cycling

John Kilpatrick wrote:Do you use it to determine if you are reaching into overtraining status and

John Kilpatrick wrote:What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training...
Still learning about this one...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:32 am

Just by coincidence, I checked my resting heart rate before I got out of bed this morning, and it was 53. Its been lower than that in past years - but just by a few beats. I think its just that I'm a little out of shape and getting back into it.

I plan to run a 5k with the monitor on in the next month or so and try to get a better fix on my max, which I think is in the 180s somewhere.

I've never run by heartrate, so this is interesting.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:30 am

47 2 years ago. I may need to recheck it.

Once every 2 years as I stated above.

occasionally.

no, just look at it after for fun.

actually I use it to ensure I don't under-train. Heehee.

I don't know. if I see HR unusually high in an easy run in the future, guess I will post a question here to ask the HR experts. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:36 am

Schuey wrote:What is your resting heart rate? 34

Wow...that's low!! The lowest I have gotten mine was 36 and the nursing staff at my hospital were astonished.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:49 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:What is your resting heart rate? 34

Wow...that's low!! The lowest I have gotten mine was 36 and the nursing staff at my hospital were astonished.

Schuey probably doesn't understand rest heart rate is not equal to sleep heart rate. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 am

Low as 36 avg 42.

Morning right after I go to bathroom I go back in bed.

Looking at my results of all 5k it seems 196 is about what I hit (makes me wonder maybe I ain't 200+ any longer)
But I heard you should add 3-5 points to it.

Yes, don't leave home without it unless I do.

My goal is to hit my paces accordingly especially on speed work. But I use my HR to stay in the zone or to see if I am working to hard or to easy. Example. Long run Sunday I wanted to Keep HR below 160 never going much more then 161-162 as I needed be ready for last 4 @MP. I ended up staying in the HR zone and still being at LSD pace of my liking and nailing the pace portion. If I climbed much higher then 160's I would have had difficulty making it harder then it should be.

See above. Yes!

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training

I think resting HR is good judge anything over 8 points higher would concern me but I can really tell when running if my HR is elevated on recovery runs. Typically I tend to be in the 131-138 range. If I am much higher then I might be overtraining.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Out of curiosity:

What is your resting heart rate? Probably 45 to 50. Have not checked it in a while. I base my training off of 53

What time of day and how often do you check it? As soon as I wake up in the morning. I have been so silly as to wear a heart rate monitor to bed at night and then take my avergae in the morning. Long time ago so I don't remember the results.

What is your end of a 5K butt busting HR? 196. I have seen as high as 202 back in 2005. I base my training off of 203 as a max heart rate.

Do you wear a HR monitor when running? Yes - every single run. Have for 10 years. I rarely look at my watch/HRM. Maybe three times a run. I tried to go sans HRM and Watch back in February and that lasted until June. ANYONE . . . Anyone here use SportsTracks and their training analysis tool?

Do you use your HR data to modify your runs or do you use running pace? I use HR data now that Tim taught me how to set the alarms, bells and whistles. For the last four years I just turned on the HR monitor, ran by feel and looked at the data when I got home.

Do you use it to determine if you are reaching into overtraining status Hopefully if you are using it correctly it will prevent you from over training or over reaching. But that may be a misconception I have.

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training...Not sure I understand the question??? Are you talking a number while training? That would depend on the purpose and style of your workout
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 pm

charles wrote:What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training...Not sure I understand the question??? Are you talking a number while training? That would depend on the purpose and style of your workout

What I mean is do you look at your morning resting heart rate to see if it is elevated, look at HR while running to see if you can't get it elevated, etc.. In other words, are there any warning signs that you look for by HR that would make you think that you are reaching into "overtraining" status such that your performance in training and/or races will begin to suffer?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:
charles wrote:What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training...Not sure I understand the question??? Are you talking a number while training? That would depend on the purpose and style of your workout

What I mean is do you look at your morning resting heart rate to see if it is elevated, look at HR while running to see if you can't get it elevated, etc.. In other words, are there any warning signs that you look for by HR that would make you think that you are reaching into "overtraining" status such that your performance in training and/or races will begin to suffer?

I think if I religiously took my resting HR every morning I could tell if I was over training. I usually look at my HR as I start to run which is usually somewhere b/w 75 and 90. Any higher than 90 on a regular basis I might try checking my resting HR. There is probably ABSOLUTELY no correlation b/w what my HR is at the start of the run and over training
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Heart Rate Empty HR

Post  charles.moman Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:46 am

I have a heart rate belt that came with my Garmin 305, but I have yet to use it.
I am a monthly and sometimes bi-weekly platelet donor, so my health stats with each donation are listed on my profile at the Indiana Blood Center.

Recently I was checking my cholesterol numbers and decided to look at my pulse at recent visits.
I started running in January - in October my resting heart rate was 76.
Now it normally is in the low 50s when I donate - I am quite sure being fit from all the running has made the difference.
I have gone on the chart from below average to athlete status - that makes me me feel great!
I always have had a decent blood pressure, but it has improved a lot too.
A win win. Plus I really enjoy being this fit at almost 60.

I might try the heart monitor sometime just for fun.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:59 am

charles.moman wrote:I have a heart rate belt that came with my Garmin 305, but I have yet to use it.
I am a monthly and sometimes bi-weekly platelet donor, so my health stats with each donation are listed on my profile at the Indiana Blood Center.

Recently I was checking my cholesterol numbers and decided to look at my pulse at recent visits.
I started running in January - in October my resting heart rate was 76.
Now it normally is in the low 50s when I donate - I am quite sure being fit from all the running has made the difference.
I have gone on the chart from below average to athlete status - that makes me me feel great!
I always have had a decent blood pressure, but it has improved a lot too.
A win win. Plus I really enjoy being this fit at almost 60.

I might try the heart monitor sometime just for fun.

Doesn't it feel great to be fit!?!? You should try out the Garmin HR monitor and see how it compares to when you donate. It sould be interesting to see how accurate it is.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:18 pm

What is your resting heart rate? 43-44

What time of day and how often do you check it? First thing in the morning - every couple of weeks. I've been tracking it lately a bit more due to some female issues.

What is your end of a 5K butt busting HR? 198 was the highest I ever saw on my HRM. I've seen it in the 190s during track workouts, and I had it measured 8 yrs ago at 204.

Do you wear a HR monitor when running? Yes, most of the time.

Do you use your HR data to modify your runs or do you use running pace? Both. The reason why I have been tracking is to see what correlations I can make to better adapt my training. This is a woman thing, but I'm hoping to come up with some data to assist others since I can really find nothing on line.

Do you use it to determine if you are reaching into overtraining status and See above

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training... 48-49
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:39 pm

35 bpm

I check it by sitting on the couch at the Gym for 10 minutes (in the evening ~7PM).

175 bpm at the end of a 5K (192 bpm at the end of a mile race)

75% of the time

No, I run by feel or pace depending on the purpose of the run. I generally run progressive pace.

Do you use it to determine if you are reaching into overtraining status?
My HR does not provide this information. HR does tell me about dehydration and heat. sunny

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training?
N/A
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 am

What is your resting heart rate? 40

What time of day and how often do you check it? Morning (40) and sometimes at night (45 - 50)

What is your end of a 5K butt busting HR? I'm not sure 179?

Do you wear a HR monitor when running? not usually

Do you use your HR data to modify your runs or do you use running pace? usually running pace

What is the HR you would be concerned with to back down on training.. If my resting hear rate is over 45 for more than a couple days in a row I take that as a sign that I'm doing too much.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down