365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

50+ Years Behind, 50 Miles Ahead

+6
Tom H
mountandog
Tim C
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

50+ Years Behind, 50 Miles Ahead - Page 4 Empty Re: 50+ Years Behind, 50 Miles Ahead

Post  mountandog Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Agree with Mark, to an extent.  If your pace is truly slow enough - you have to be completely honest with yourself here - I would say you COULD run the whole first hour.  But the idea of doing it to somehow get ahead for later is a bad one.  Truly, your effort level should be ZERO (this is a hard zero, not a "well, it's pretty easy..." - ZERO) for the first three hours.  Everything catches up to you in hours 4 and 5 and 6 etc., as I've learned.

Re: your glutes (that's a weird thing to write), have you tried one-legged deadlifts?  I just discovered them today and wow, they target the glute like no other exercise I've done.
I'm not a doc or a PT, but I did get some good insight and advice a while back from a PT I really respect.  She said that injuries -- like yours -- often appear suddenly but have been building in the background for a while.  Usually due to some imbalance in your muscles somewhere, usually the core, and that some muscle has to take over.  In your case the hammy.  So it takes time #1 to heal, and #2 to correct with strengthening more so than PT work.

In my particular case I have hammy issues on my right leg, most likely caused by a weaker core and a weak right glute that doesn't fire effectively when I run, forcing the hammy to go into overtime and compensate.  I've been working hard on my core and glutes the last 8 months, and guess what, very few hammy issues.  Certainly none that stop me from racing or training, although I still get more soreness in that area than others. > that could now be chronic.

Get some advice on what could be the underlying issue and tackle that.  My 2-cents for what its worth.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

50+ Years Behind, 50 Miles Ahead - Page 4 Empty Re: 50+ Years Behind, 50 Miles Ahead

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Sorry to hear that you've had to pull out of the race Tom.  Hope you're able to determine the cause and figure out how to correct it before your next training cycle.  Enjoy the time in the pool and on the bike...I use both to stay active while giving my legs a break from the pounding.  And my sympathy to your wife as well...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:45 am

Hey Tom, I just discovered that you were planning to run a 50 and now you've already had to pull out.  I know the disappointment that comes with a DNS and I feel for you.  At least you can swim and cycle, that's the nice thing about being a triathlete.  You can almost always train in one of the other disciplines if an injury pops up.  Well, here's to a quick recovery and hope you can get back to running soon.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhh!  I had just typed a long post and was just about to click on 'send' when my computer did an automatic restart to install updates.  Lost it all.  As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted . . .

Michael - Good advice.  When I was tri training I had no issues with the hammies.  I think the bike and swim really kept the core and glutes active.  During the run focus, I had issues on both sides.  I think I'll have my PT do an evaluation for weaknesses and develop a program to address them.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Nancy - I think this is one of the smarter decisions I've made.  I love the bike and am really looking forward to getting back to the 50+ mile rides up in the wine country as the grape vines go from the brown naked vines to the bright green, lush leaves.  The pool and I tolerate each other, no love affair there.  I think it has something to do with jumping into cold water in the pre-dawn hours.

Tim - I'm disappointed but am now OK with having made an appropriate and necessary decision.  The injury timing would have meant that my last long run before the 50-miler would have been 6 weeks before toeing the starting line.  To me that seemed like a both a long, hard, painful day and a recipe for re-injury.  The bright side is that my next race is the Vineman Full and I would have been transitioning directly into that training cycle after the AR50, and I can just do that now.  Onward.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:16 pm

I'm glad you're moving forward with cross-training, Tom. Tri workouts seem to suit you.

Also glad that you're going to get a PT workup. There's a reason this problem is cropping up. Once its found and addressed, it should fade into the background and not bother you again. Good luck!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:29 pm

OK, I got the PT evaluation done and good news/bad news - all one and the same.  No smoking gun that would explain why the injury occurred.   She identified some rotational deficiencies in the lower back I need to work on but says good strength and flexibility on a basic level all around.  Agrees there is benefit to be had by further strengthening of the core and suggested I find a place to go for Pilates as that will address both the core and the rotational needs.  Pilates worked great for me before, but I've left the gym that offers it so will have to look for another alternative.

With that said and the 50 out of the picture, time to wrap up this blog and move on to the Ironman training program.  Thanks everyone for the good advice and encouragement!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Sorry to see it end this way, Tom.  But hey, perhaps the cross training for the IM will help alleviate some of your woes.  If it helps at all, my brother and I are also both injured and have decided that 50 miles is just kind of silly.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:46 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Sorry to see it end this way, Tom.  But hey, perhaps the cross training for the IM will help alleviate some of your woes.  If it helps at all, my brother and I are also both injured and have decided that 50 miles is just kind of silly.

What? Silly?

Sorry Tom, I don't want to hijack your blog  but I had to respond to Mike's statement since he IS running TNF DC 50. Smile

I'm glad to hear it isn't anything major and since you're moving on to IM training you have plenty to do.  Enjoy the training and I wish you the best in the IM.  All my buddies are doing the Muncie 70.3 in July so I'm seriously considering incorporating a little swim/bike into my plan.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:02 pm

Sorry about the 50 miler, but hey that's crazy anyway.  But wait, did you say an IM?  I assume a full and therefore, I rest my case (on the crazy that is).

Please do blog about IM training as it is something that truly interests me.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Dang! Sorry that the 50 miler is out, but also happy at the same time that there is nothing major. Good luck strengthening that core and getting better rotation!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:43 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry about the 50 miler, but hey that's crazy anyway.  But wait, did you say an IM?  I assume a full and therefore, I rest my case (on the crazy that is).

+1 on this (on both counts, actually)

Good luck on the next chapter.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry about the 50 miler, but hey that's crazy anyway.  But wait, did you say an IM?  I assume a full and therefore, I rest my case (on the crazy that is).

+1 on this (on both counts, actually)

Good luck on the next chapter.
++1 more on both counts

Best of luck and I do hope that you keep blogging about your IM training.  I don't plan on anything that long but would like to try a longer tri (I've only done the pool based sprint tri) once Boston is done.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4