365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 7 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:49 am

Huh, good thing someone knew someone, that knew someone. You don't need people in the neighborhood getting stung.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:10 am

Nick Morris wrote:Huh, good thing someone knew someone, that knew someone.  You don't need people in the neighborhood getting stung.

Yeah, our neighbor was pretty clever to come up with that solution, though he was a little embarrassed to discover that there was an easier solution available that hadn't even occured to him: simply calling 911. Most (maybe all) emergency dispatch centers have a list on hand of local beekeepers for just such a situation. I usually hear a call like that on the scanners a couple of times every summer.

Big swarms of bees like that look scary at first, but if you don't do anything to agitate them, they are perectly safe. The beekeeper walked up with the bee box, set it under the low tree where the queen had landed, and gently shook the tree until the bees fell down to the ground. Once the queen went into the box (which had some water and honey in it already), the rest of the swarm calmly followed her. He did that while wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

It was funny to watch. Everybody kept their distance at first, then slowly moved in closer and closer to take photos and videos. Bees were all around us, even landing on us, and neither bee nor human was harmed. Everybody kept their cool. It was fascinating, and it was highly educational for the kids (and adults) in the neighborhood.  Approval 

It did make me feel bad about that poor little bee up on Mount Hood last summer. I must have trapped it with my arm as it was crawling up my side. Sorry little guy!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 am

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Huh, good thing someone knew someone, that knew someone.  You don't need people in the neighborhood getting stung.

Yeah, our neighbor was pretty clever to come up with that solution, though he was a little embarrassed to discover that there was an easier solution available that hadn't even occured to him: simply calling 911. Most (maybe all) emergency dispatch centers have a list on hand of local beekeepers for just such a situation. I usually hear a call like that on the scanners a couple of times every summer.

Big swarms of bees like that look scary at first, but if you don't do anything to agitate them, they are perectly safe. The beekeeper walked up with the bee box, set it under the low tree where the queen had landed, and gently shook the tree until the bees fell down to the ground. Once the queen went into the box (which had some water and honey in it already), the rest of the swarm calmly followed her. He did that while wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

It was funny to watch. Everybody kept their distance at first, then slowly moved in closer and closer to take photos and videos. Bees were all around us, even landing on us, and neither bee nor human was harmed. Everybody kept their cool. It was fascinating, and it was highly educational for the kids (and adults) in the neighborhood.  Approval 

It did make me feel bad about that poor little bee up on Mount Hood last summer. I must have trapped it with my arm as it was crawling up my side. Sorry little guy!

He got revenge when you were DFL.

Mark, did you know that Hadd died 4 years ago?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:23 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

He got revenge when you were DFL.

Mark, did you know that Hadd died 4 years ago?

Actually, I was already DFL at that point. But his sacrifice helped get me the rest of the way there. Little bee, I salute you.

As far as John Hadd goes, yes, I think I do remember reading at one point that he'd died. Too bad. I wish he'd written more.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:03 pm

PT report.

Theraband eversion/inversion: 125 each way, both legs.
Clamshell/side leg lift/side leg circles: 50 each, both legs.
Bridges w/abdominal bracing: 50
Heel lifts (both legs): 163 - I went until my calves collapsed.

(I also sneaked in a couple of easy walks with Alita yesterday, about 2.3 miles total.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:52 am

Barefoot Rehab Run/Walk: 2.1 miles

Weather: Overcast, coolish and muggy. 54 degrees. Gear: Barefoot, shorts, T.

Happy National Running Day!

I'm glad today coincided with my next PT-authorized run/walk. I decided to try it out barefoot this time, to see how it goes. I did laps around the block in case it didn't work out.

It worked out fine. I can feel that I'm landing better and not relying on my peroneus longus. No real issues, other than lingering mild soreness from the heel-raise-a-paloozas of this week. We'll see if my body is okay with this level of stimulus. I hope so, because it felt nice to be out there barefoot.

Average HR: 124
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 am

Mark B wrote:Barefoot Rehab Run/Walk: 2.1 miles

I'm glad today coincided with my next PT-authorized run/walk. I decided to try it out barefoot this time, to see how it goes. I did laps around the block in case it didn't work out.

It worked out fine. I can feel that I'm landing better and not relying on my peroneus longus. No real issues, other than lingering mild soreness from the heel-raise-a-paloozas of this week. We'll see if my body is okay with this level of stimulus. I hope so, because it felt nice to be out there barefoot.

Do your shoes have Wednesday's off?  Are they Union shoes?

So, Mark, what are the good/bad of Altras in the 'moderate cushioning and semi-soft ride' of the Instincts  or Torin class of shoe? Neutral
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:23 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Barefoot Rehab Run/Walk: 2.1 miles

Do your shoes have Wednesday's off?  Are they Union shoes?

So, Mark, what are the good/bad of Altras in the 'moderate cushioning and semi-soft ride' of the Instincts  or Torin class of shoe? Neutral

No, the shoes didn't get a day off... the feet got a play day. Smile

As for the two Altras you mentioned. They're both designed as zero drop shoes, and they both offer the same "foot shaped" last that gives more room for your little piggies to do their thing. The Torin 1.5 is now billed as a "high cushioning" shoe, with a 27 mm stack height. The new Instinct has a "medium cushioning" sole, with a 25 mm stack height (their previous version was 22 mm - a level now restricted to its "light cushioning" shoe, The One2).

Altra went miminalist at first, with lots of near-barefoot options. Now, they're following Hoka's lead and amping up the padding. Their "max cushioning" road shoe, The Paradigm, has a 34 mm stack height, and their trail running Hoka knock-off, The Olympus, boasts a 36 mm stack height. The midsoles in these shoes used to be firmer, but they're getting more cushy.

I'm not thrilled by this trend, and neither are other old Altra fans I've met.

At any rate, if cushioning is what you want, Altra seems to be all over that.

Besides that gripe, Altras seem to be best for runners with a midfoot or forefoot landing. If you heel strike (or walk around in them too much and land on your heel then), you may compress/break down the heel unit so much that you end up with a NEGATIVE drop shoe (remember Earth Shoes?) that puts a whole lot of strain on your forefoot-running muscles. It's part of the reason why I ended up hurt this spring.  tongue 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Podiatrist Visit Report

Today was the day to see the podiatrist about my foot/ankle/ganglion issue. I'd been referred after the MRI showed what appeared to be a midfoot ganglion, and also signs of future midfoot arthritis. I asked the doc to refer me to a runner-aware podiatrist, but I still didn't know what to expect when I walked in the office today.

What I experienced was pretty much the opposite of anything I could have feared.

Case in Point No. 1: The big white circle in the MRI below is probably a ganglion, she said. And it's in an odd place. But partly because of its placement, but also because it's lack of symptoms and undetermined origin (it could have been there for years) - she said it's benign and not worth messing with. Woot!

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 7 Mri_cl10
(The ganglion is the bit white spot to the left of the yellow line in the top image, and in cross-section in the lower image.)

Case in Point No. 2: While I had some tendon injury, it doesn't even register irritation until you really jam something into it. It's healing fine.

Case in Point No. 3: While my tarsal-metatarsal joint is likely my achilles heel, it's entirely possible that it'll *never* give me problems. If I were likely to have problems as I get older, she said, she'd have expected much worse damage at my current age.

Case in Point No. 4: My feet are fascinating. She went through the MRI fairly quickly, then pulled up a previous X-ray of my foot structure. She wanted to know more about my experiences with it. She said I had what would otherwise be a classic Z-foot -- which means extreme pronation -- except my metatarsals arc back the other way to compensate. She said she's seen feet like mine before, but they were "not nearly as impressive." (Hey, I'll take whatever compliment I can get.)

Case in Point No. 5: Everything I've been trying to do over the past several years to build strength, land lightly and preserve my feet? Yep. She thinks it's a sound idea. It's clearly worked so far, so there's no reason for me to backtrack to something more controlling.

Case in Point No. 6: Yes, that includes barefooting. It's not right for some people, but for others -- especially those who build up gradually and carefully -- it's totally fine. If it works, keep doing it.

Case in Point No. 7: Read Case in Point No. 6 one more time. Smile

So to say the podiatrist was pretty cool is an understatement. (She runs marathons, and her husband used to do ultras.)

Still, she admitted that, had she looked at my X-rays a decade ago, she may have been leery about me going barefoot, or even starting running without an extremely gradual buildup. But the past 10 years has created a lot of new points of view about what does and does not work for people -- and built a growing awareness about the amazing variability and adaptability of human feet.

And seeing what I can do with the feet I have... well, it's working, so it's good.

She said she knows of no study that shows the long-term benefit of any type of foot condition (either supported or minimal), though she sees the logic in building and maintaining the muscle tone of the intrinsic muscles of the foot and adopting a form that maximizes efficiency and minimizes impact. I'm well on my way to doing just that.

She also added that, given the structure of my feet, she could understand how I ended up with weak calf muscles, and why I'd tend to favor the outside edge of my foot and the peroneal tendons. Even so, she doesn't think building the calf muscles and trying to use them more will cause problems.

All in all, it was an interesting visit and just about the best thing I could have heard. (Of course, she reminded me that gradual build-ups and moderate strain, and cross-training, all become more helpful as we grow older to prevent injury and extend running longevity. But everybody knows that, whether they follow the advice or not.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Well, that's pretty nifty!  I guess there's no evidence of foot insertion into mouth, since being married? jocolor 

so, keep doing (and exercising) what you're doing?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:18 pm

ounce wrote:Well, that's pretty nifty!  I guess there's no evidence of foot insertion into mouth, since being married? jocolor 

so, keep doing (and exercising) what you're doing?

Not that shows up on the MRI, anyway. Though it's good my tonsils are out already. Plenty of room in there. Wink

So... yes. Keep it up, don't be a knucklehead. Pretty solid advice for anybody, really.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:10 pm

200!

My whole lower body was shaking for the last 50 or so, but I was able to do 200 two-legged heel raises today. I bobbled at 178 but came back strong for the final 22. Didn't fail at the end, but my legs were screaming at me, so I figured they'd had enough.

Oh, also? I went up on both tip-toes yesterday, unweighted one foot... and was able to slowly lower myself down with the other. No *thunk*

Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Great news and great progress Mark!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:Great news and great progress Mark!

Thanks, Nancy!

Today was graduation day for me at PT. Well, okay, "graduation" is not the right term. "Promotion day" is probably more like it.

That means the PT says I can stop doing all the floor work and actually *gasp!* get upright for something other than heel lifts!

Of course, that increase the difficulty immeasurably, because she's starting me on one-legged stands with locked knees and touching the wall to keep my balance. Yep. These aren't balance exercises as much as they are strengthening exercises for everything from the soles of my feet up. She had me do it today, and wow. First, my one-legged balance stinks. Second, just holding myself upright on one leg really hurts! Of course, that means it's working. Smile

I also get to keep doing heel lifts, but now I am to do them one-legged, knees locked to isolate the gastroc muscle. Oh yes, I can also keep running, continuing my very gradual build-up.

FWIW, she seemed to agree with everything the podiatrist said. She confessed that, while she found some things that could be improved, even she didn't find anything seriously amiss. I'd say that bodes well.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Congratulations on the promotion!! Progress is progress...Also, congratulations on the weird feet?!?!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:40 pm

What a great prison..er, patient you've been!  I'm sure you will be looking forward to balancing a foot on the foam cushion, while she bounces one of those really big bouncing balls to your left, then to your right, etc.  Good times!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Congratulations on the promotion!!  Progress is progress...Also, congratulations on the weird feet?!?!

Thanks! And for the record, it appears the closest thing I can come to a medical definition of my foot is Z-foot deformity (aka skewfoot) with metatarsus adductus thrown in for good measure.

Now, here's the crazy thing: Z-foot/skewfoot twists the foot out of line and causes the midfoot to angle out rather than point forward. But metatarsus adductus, a separate deformity, causes the metatarsals to angle in... which in my case actually helps my feet behave like, well, feet.

ounce wrote:What a great prison..er, patient you've been!  I'm sure you will be looking forward to balancing a foot on the foam cushion, while she bounces one of those really big bouncing balls to your left, then to your right, etc.  Good times!

Oh, she already had me try it on a cushion today. That and other ninja training is for later. For now, it's all I can do to keep from toppling over after 20 seconds on a perfectly flat surface. I tried to point out that I don't trip on trails, and I can keep fairly upright even on one leg bending my knee swinging my leg around... but she just said that didn't count. She said I wasn't using any core strength - I was just using motion as a tool to keep over my center of gravity. Well, it worked...

ANNND... updating later in the evening... I did two minutes on each foot (I think, I forgot to look at my watch on one side) and wowie! The muscles in the soles of my feet were screaming at me, just standing there on one foot! It made it much more difficult to follow the PT's instructions and lock out my knee.  Shocked 

I followed up with a few one-legged heel lifts, done poorly, followed by a few more sets when I'd raise up on both feet, lift off one foot and slowly let the other one down. At least I'm building eccentric strength that way, which will probably help.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Barefoot Recovery Run/Walk: 2 miles

Weather: Sunny, mild, mid-60s. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T.

It was my day for a run/walk, and the first day I could ramp the running sections up to 0.3 miles. I sneaked it in before going to work this afternoon, with Alita and Alec along.

I went barefoot, since it seems more than okay with the PT and podiatrist that I do it. (It almost seems like they prefer it, simply because I can do it and not disintegrate into a pile of bone shards.)

The running felt good -- I could feel my new calf muscles trying to pitch in, which was a nice sensation. I did five repeats with most of them at 0.3 mile, with a little extra walking thrown in before the last running section.

---

Later today, I did a set of single-leg stands, trying to hold it (barefoot, per the PT's request) as long as possible while the muscles in my feet and ankles screamed for mercy. I got up to 2:30 on each leg. It'd be easier if the PT wasn't making me lock my knee, which is really hard to do because it takes my quads out of the equation. It makes control significantly more difficult.

I also attempted some one-legged heel lifts (about 10 each side, poorly done), and then added a little extra stimulus by going up on both feet, removing one and trying to slowly lower myself down on the other foot. This is extra tough because, again, the PT wants my knee locked - it seems to be the only way to isolate the gastroc. Oof! I have a feeling improvement isn't going to come as quickly as it did when I was double-legging it. But I'm hopeful that it's going to make a big difference.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:01 pm

A twofer today:

First off, two miles with my training partner and his wife, walking on sidewalks. It had been a while, and he wanted to catch up.

Later today, another two miles with Alita, testing out my new Nike trail shoes in Whipple Creek Park. They did well on dirt, gravel and horse-chewed mud. My foot seemed to hold up pretty well, too, though it made for 4 miles on the day walking.

My feet are a bit sore, but I blame that on the difficult PT work I'm doing, not the other stuff. Of note is that *both* feet are sore, not just the injured one.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 am

Keep up the good work, Mark.  Interesting stuff, but I like your podiatrist and her viewpoint.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Keep up the good work, Mark.  Interesting stuff, but I like your podiatrist and her viewpoint.

Hi, Michele! Yeah, I liked her, too. Very pragmatic. That's a good quality in a doctor. (Or other mechanic.) Smile

Speaking of which, I sent a slightly whiny message to my PT about how difficult it was to do single-leg heel raises with my knee locked. She replied back that doing them with some assistance (taking some weight off on a chair or counter) is not only fine, but it's also pretty much what everybody has to do. Single-leg heel raises are difficult. (Whew! That's a relief. The difference between two- and one-legged lifts was so astounding I thought there was something wrong with me! Well, more than usual, anyway.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:35 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Keep up the good work, Mark.  Interesting stuff, but I like your podiatrist and her viewpoint.

Hi, Michele! Yeah, I liked her, too. Very pragmatic. That's a good quality in a doctor. (Or other mechanic.) Smile

Speaking of which, I sent a slightly whiny message to my PT about how difficult it was to do single-leg heel raises with my knee locked. She replied back that doing them with some assistance (taking some weight off on a chair or counter) is not only fine, but it's also pretty much what everybody has to do. Single-leg heel raises are difficult. (Whew! That's a relief. The difference between two- and one-legged lifts was so astounding I thought there was something wrong with me! Well, more than usual, anyway.)

Overachiever!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Overachiever!!!

Hey! She didn't tell me they were hard for everybody when she had me try them at the office... I just figured I was weak and uncoordinated! Which, of course, may well be the case. But still...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Overachiever!!!

Hey! She didn't tell me they were hard for everybody when she had me try them at the office... I just figured I was weak and uncoordinated! Which, of course, may well be the case. But still...

I meant that as a compliment Smile

I like to go above and beyond, too...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Overachiever!!!

I meant that as a compliment Smile

I like to go above and beyond, too...

Oh! Uh, er, um. Cough. Cough.

Well, carry on, then. And thanks. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content