365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 30 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Looks like a smart plan to me Mark. Dialing back to a couple 50K's next year should give your body time to adapt to those nice strong calves and give you time to prepare for another 50 miler in the future.

Take care of that cough!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:53 pm

nkrichards wrote:Looks like a smart plan to me Mark.  Dialing back to a couple 50K's next year should give your body time to adapt to those nice strong calves and give you time to prepare for another 50 miler in the future.

Take care of that cough!

Thanks, Nancy! I'm getting better, bit by bit. I'll be happy when this has completely cleared my system. It was a bear.

And I think you're right on the strategy. There may never be a time where patience is more important for me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:Looks like a smart plan to me Mark.  Dialing back to a couple 50K's next year should give your body time to adapt to those nice strong calves and give you time to prepare for another 50 miler in the future.
Hee, hee, hee.  Last race you and I actively obsessed over together was Eugene, a mere marathon now for you.  It warms the cockles of my heart to see that you are now 'dialing back to a couple of 50K's'.  Clearly, I've got some catching up to do Running
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Tom H wrote:
Hee, hee, hee.  Last race you and I actively obsessed over together was Eugene, a mere marathon now for you.  It warms the cockles of my heart to see that you are now 'dialing back to a couple of 50K's'.  Clearly, I've got some catching up to do Running

I've no doubt you'd have an absolutely blast scampering around the countryside. You should try it!

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Stumbled upon a good blog post that suggests three very good strength and coordination drills for trail running.

Here's the link: 3 Must-Do Drills for Trail Runners

I can't help but notice just how important the calf muscles are to each of these movements. Hm...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Tom H wrote:

Say's Tom who recently completed an ironman!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Mark B wrote:Stumbled upon a good blog post that suggests three very good strength and coordination drills for trail running.

I can't help but notice just how important the calf muscles are to each of these movements.  Hm...

Thanks for the link Mark...I've been trying to figure out some drills to add to my weekly routine and these look like a great start.

One question though...when do I do them? Before a run? After a run? Completely separate from a run? I can see pros/cons to each option. Not sure I'd get dressed/motivated to do them at a separate time but maybe I could convince myself to do them on a cross training day(??). If I did them before a run would I then be to tired to accomplish the desired goals of the training run? If I did them after a run would I be to tired to complete the drills correctly?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:17 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Stumbled upon a good blog post that suggests three very good strength and coordination drills for trail running.

I can't help but notice just how important the calf muscles are to each of these movements.  Hm...

Thanks for the link Mark...I've been trying to figure out some drills to add to my weekly routine and these look like a great start.  

One question though...when do I do them?  Before a run?  After a run?  Completely separate from a run?  I can see pros/cons to each option.  Not sure I'd get dressed/motivated to do them at a separate time but maybe I could convince myself to do them on a cross training day(??).  If I did them before a run would I then be to tired to accomplish the desired goals of the training run?  If I did them after a run would I be to tired to complete the drills correctly?

Good question. I really don't know. Maybe on a cross-training day?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Well, it's been 10 days since I started showing symptoms, and 9 days since I started hacking my lungs out (nothing like people at work speculating among themselves if you have walking pneumonia), and I'm still not totally over this cold/cough yet. I think the worst is over, but I'm still coughing enough to get everybody's attention. Sheesh.

My hope is that maybe it'll be through with me by next week? Pretty please? This is getting old.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Mark B wrote:Well, it's been 10 days since I started showing symptoms, and 9 days since I started hacking my lungs out (nothing like people at work speculating among themselves if you have walking pneumonia), and I'm still not totally over this cold/cough yet. I think the worst is over, but I'm still coughing enough to get everybody's attention. Sheesh.

My hope is that maybe it'll be through with me by next week? Pretty please? This is getting old.

If there's a pot going on when you go to the doctor, buy me a couple of squares for Monday.

And I wouldn't worry about the people at work.  That is, until they start taking inventory of your office supplies or personal effects that is guised as just a not-so-normal conversation at your cube.  Then, I would either worry or have a garage sale or both.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:34 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Well, it's been 10 days since I started showing symptoms, and 9 days since I started hacking my lungs out (nothing like people at work speculating among themselves if you have walking pneumonia), and I'm still not totally over this cold/cough yet. I think the worst is over, but I'm still coughing enough to get everybody's attention. Sheesh.

If there's a pot going on when you go to the doctor, buy me a couple of squares for Monday.

And I wouldn't worry about the people at work.  That is, until they start taking inventory of your office supplies or personal effects that is guised as just a not-so-normal conversation at your cube.  Then, I would either worry or have a garage sale or both.

Hahahaha-cough-cough-cough-hahaha-cough-cough-cough!

Thanks, Ounce. If I'm still coughing next Monday, I may visit the doc. But I've been to docs enough times to know that all they will say is that it's a virus, that it needs to work its way through the system, and that antibiotics are useless and ill-advised. Last time they told me that, I was hacking up crap for a month. They didn't care, and I haven't forgotten.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Thanks, Ounce. If I'm still coughing next Monday, I may visit the doc. But I've been to docs enough times to know that all they will say is that it's a virus, that it needs to work its way through the system, and that antibiotics are useless and ill-advised. Last time they told me that, I was hacking up crap for a month. They didn't care, and I haven't forgotten.

That is very true on the viruses.  And since you've rounded the corner (and presumably no one else has caught it at work), you know what works best (but has a lung-ectomy crossed your mind?).  If the Ebola stories hadn't been in play, I'd wear an auto body shop paint ventilator (mask) just to give you a hard time.  It's how I roll. Rolling Eyes

Just don't stare at my avatar.  It'll make you verrrrrrrry sleeeeepy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:45 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

That is very true on the viruses.  And since you've rounded the corner (and presumably no one else has caught it at work), you know what works best (but has a lung-ectomy crossed your mind?).  If the Ebola stories hadn't been in play, I'd wear an auto body shop paint ventilator (mask) just to give you a hard time.  It's how I roll. Rolling Eyes

Just don't stare at my avatar.  It'll make you verrrrrrrry sleeeeepy.

Sleep Sleep Sleep

Anyway... it seems to have plateaued and maybe mutated somewhat, because now I'm getting the start of more traditional cold symptoms. Still coughing, though, and still low on energy. Not surprised, because Alita's cold followed the same interminable path. She's really not over it yet, and she had it a week before I did. At least she was spared the aqualung experiment.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Well Mark, the best thing about the plague you've contracted is that there is a full state between you and me right now Smile
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Tom H wrote:Well Mark, the best thing about the plague you've contracted is that there is a full state between you and me right now Smile

You are lucky. So far, three co-workers are now out sick with symptoms similar to mine, and one more has early symtoms but is roughing it out.

The term "Patient Zero" has been broached. pale
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:40 am

Turning 'broached' into 'lynched' only requires a few letters be replaced, and I hear that the folks you work with are pretty good with words. Watch your back, cowboy.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:56 am

Tom H wrote:Turning 'broached' into 'lynched' only requires a few letters be replaced, and I hear that the folks you work with are pretty good with words. Watch your back, cowboy.

Thank goodness there's no emoticon for that...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Tom H wrote:Turning 'broached' into 'lynched' only requires a few letters be replaced, and I hear that the folks you work with are pretty good with words. Watch your back, cowboy.
This is poetry.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Mark B wrote:

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 30 Xmpzch
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:
This is poetry.

Indeed. We accept only the highest quality posts in this blog. Quality, after all.

Tom H wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 30 Xmpzch

Ahem. Well, sometimes things slip through the cracks.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm slowly feeling better, bit by bit, just in time for me to notice some achy feelings in the peroneal muscle that gave me so much trouble earlier this year. What the heck? I'm not running. Heck, I'm not even taking long walks. So what's stressing it?

One theory: My work shoes are getting worn out after nine years, and my foot is doing in them what it was doing in some defective Altras I had at the time. It could be torquing my ankle unnecessarily.

Second theory: I have long had a bad habit of trying to "ground" myself when I'm sitting in a chair. That often means grinding my foot into the floor without even realizing it. Or otherwise twisting and torquing that ankle.

Either way, its bothersome. But I'm trying to figure out how to counteract it. I did 5x10 calf raises this morning on each leg, trying to wake up the old calf muscles so they can start taking some of the abuse, and maybe that'll help. I also jogged a tiny bit in my Lunas as I came back from the mailbox, just to get the blood flowing a tiny bit. I'll also need to go shoe shopping, pronto.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Mark B wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:
This is poetry.

Indeed. We accept only the highest quality posts in this blog. Quality, after all.

Durn tootin'!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:44 pm

9 year old shoes, really?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:9 year old shoes, really?

Really! They're a pair of Ecco shoes -- can't remember the exact model, but they're similar to this one.:

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 30 Shoe10

They've been very good for work -- nice enough for a newsroom without being too dressy, and very well-suited for taking walks at lunch. The uppers of the shoes I have are still holding up quite well -- it's the heel unit that's finally giving up the ghost.

When I go shoe shopping, I'll definitely consider that brand, but I'll also look at some of the other varieties, especially ones that offer a more barefoot feel. I never did like clunky shoes.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:43 pm

That is great life out of those shoes.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse