365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to my Natal State

+3
Julie
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Back to my Natal State Empty Back to my Natal State

Post  Julie Sat May 23, 2015 4:30 pm

The lovely state of South Dakota, Sept 13th, for Sioux Falls Marathon. It's not a bad drive so my family is coming with me. I think I'd still really miss them for a night away, at least when I ran Fargo 4 yrs ago I was pretty sad when I saw a little red-headed girl spectating with her dad (J used to have redder hair, now basically blond). So here we are, 16 weeks from it. I'm trying to use the advice I got here a few mos ago and follow Int 2 of Hal's plan for the long runs, run 6 miles 3 days/week with my friends and then every other Wed/mid-week run 10ish. The semi-long mid week runs really help me. Also, working on some of the cross training/strength/stretching listed in Pfitzinger's marathon book.

My left hip has been sore the last few weeks since running Lincoln marathon (#18). I ran with 5 friends this morning, including my PT friend and she said not to give up on long distances, to keep trying her exercises but I very much internally rotate my hips and just have some structural differences that make higher miles/longer miles injury prone to my knees and hips now. 

I'm hoping training through the summer helps my toughness and for a nice cool day for the marathon although it could sure be hot. 

One thing I'm very pleased with was my fueling for Lincoln. I had almost no GI issues after or during the race and that is sadly very rare for me (even for a long run). So I'm excited.  

Today's long run, 13.5 with friends. Cool sprinkly 50s, great running weather, great conversations, what more could a person want except a hip that didn't feel sore.

Last edited by Julie on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Back to my Natal State Empty Re: Back to my Natal State

Post  Mark B Sat May 23, 2015 4:43 pm

A new blog! Woot!

Glad to see things are progressing, Julie. I'm a little jealous of you being able to have a PT as a running partner. That could come in handy, unless the PT starts shaking their head and rolling their eyes at you. Wink

Looking forward to tracking your training.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat May 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Yeah, a new blog.  Haven't run that race in South Dakota (ran Leading Ladies which is near by) and it was beautiful.  I also paced Fargo in 2007!  My family never travels with me so you are quite lucky.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon May 25, 2015 10:01 am

Choosing a race and putting together a training plan always helps to motivate me.  This looks like a good one...especially since your family can be there.  Happy training. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 26, 2015 4:42 pm

Good luck with your training.

And keep working on the fueling by building on your success, as you can get there.  By the way, what are temps in the 50's in May?

Oh, if I ran that marathon with other people that haven't ran this particular marathon ever, would that make us the Neo-Natal Unit?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:32 pm

Mark B wrote:A new blog! Woot!

Glad to see things are progressing, Julie. I'm a little jealous of you being able to have a PT as a running partner. That could come in handy, unless the PT starts shaking their head and rolling their eyes at you. Wink

Looking forward to tracking your training.

Thanks Mark! She gave me advice this morning and it's great accountability to do my exercises. Not that that means I do it, but I can always count on her to remind me of their importance. 

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Yeah, a new blog.  Haven't run that race in South Dakota (ran Leading Ladies which is near by) and it was beautiful.  I also paced Fargo in 2007!  My family never travels with me so you are quite lucky.

Fargo was fun. I ran that 4 yrs ago traveling with friends but I missed Jocelyn so much I really didn't want to leave the kids for this race so I was glad Brian said it would be fine to take the whole family up. 
nkrichards wrote:Choosing a race and putting together a training plan always helps to motivate me.  This looks like a good one...especially since your family can be there.  Happy training. Smile

Thanks! Jocelyn made some really sweet signs for me at Lincoln and it was fun to have a hug and kiss break when they were there so I'm sure it'll be fun having them there in Sept.

ounce wrote:Good luck with your training.

And keep working on the fueling by building on your success, as you can get there.  By the way, what are temps in the 50's in May?

Oh, if I ran that marathon with other people that haven't ran this particular marathon ever, would that make us the Neo-Natal Unit?

It's been a pretty nice spring. I don't know why Lincoln had to be on the hottest day so far. It's also been crazy wet as I think you guys have had in TX, too. We passed our 110 yr record for rain fall for May. It has been 50s at night or 40s most nights, some 60s. Day time 50s to 80s. 
Yeah, I thought oh great someone's going to think I'm giving birth again, but I couldn't think of a good title and J's biggest reason for wanting to go to SD is "it's the most important state because Mommy was born there."
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:22 pm

I've been keeping up with the plan and I am very happy to report, faithfully doing my hip exercises daily and lo and behold they are actually helping my pain decrease/sometimes not exist. Who would have thought?
I just feel pretty boring (unless you want to hear about my kids, in which case I'm pretty crazy about them, their vocabulary, Jocelyn's reading...etc....) We're getting some hot humid days coming up so bracing for that. Oh and I'm very close to my wedding weight/pre-pregnancy weight but unfortunately haven't been the smartest about wt loss. I seem to operate on extremes and if I want to lose I eat very minimally and when I'm hungry have a very low appetite, but if I am not careful, eat whatever and have a hard time with not being just moderately careful. So in my stupidity I've not slept well this week with low blood sugar so trying to find a happy medium and maybe slow the loss down, but not re-gain. I just finished a 5 weekend streak at work and am glad to be home the next 4 Saturdays. Glad to be able to run with my friends for the long runs at least and get some extra stuff done around the house/with family.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:48 pm

Weight management can be a huge challenge for a lot of us, Julie. I keep thinking I'll learn from experience, but for reasons I don't quite understand, the lessons just. don't. stick. Oh well. Maybe next time, right?

Glad your hip exercises are helping. And that you're still nuts about the kids. (Remember that when they become teenagers.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Mark B wrote:Weight management can be a huge challenge for a lot of us, Julie. I keep thinking I'll learn from experience, but for reasons I don't quite understand, the lessons just. don't. stick. Oh well. Maybe next time, right?

Glad your hip exercises are helping. And that you're still nuts about the kids. (Remember that when they become teenagers.)
Weight management is a moving target.  Keeping the weight off is tougher.  A couple of years ago I read when you're losing weight, to change what you're doing very differently, so the body can't adapt as quick....fwiw.

Maybe check in more often.  Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:25 am

Sounds like you're dealing with the kids, weight management, work, and still getting your running time in...good for you.  Don't expect perfection at this point in your life.  I know that the family is your first priority...as it should be.  The other stuff will just have to accept the time/energy that's left over.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Mark - oh no! I have to be crazy about them forever, right? Goodness, we have drama around here just with 5 yr old so I don't want to think about 15. 

Doug - checking in right now, working on this frequency thing. You know, I think changing things up is good. I'm trying to avoid foods too high in FODMAPs because I tend to have a really sensitive GI system and it does help, I'm just tired of everything that is supposed to not make me feel sick and then I get nausea from low blood sugar. It seems hard to win sometimes! 

Nancy - thanks, it's crazy how fast they grow up. I really am thankful for the time I have with them and that I only have to work a few days/month away. 

10 miles this a.m. in ridiculous humidity and low of 70 or 72 last night. It was tough! 

I had to show some pics of my treadmill...I sure don't smile like Noah when I'm on it!  Smile

Back to my Natal State 2015-06-09%2016.36.59_zpsygrqacjw

Back to my Natal State 2015-06-15%2017.49.17_zpsjrtchrxz
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:02 pm

"See, Mommy?" THIS is how you use it! It's bouncy! Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Oh my how they have grown!  Cute how one has curly hair and the other has straight - easier for those of us novices to tell them apart!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:29 am

Love the photos.  My grandson, Owen, used to pretend the treadmill was a boat when he was that age.  The heart rate monitor was his fishing pole. Smile

Seems like a very good use for a treadmill...I know they are necessary but hate them!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Thanks for stopping by!

I have a somewhat disappointing end to this training cycle. I was diagnosed with pleurisy in April and just couldn't get better. on the 11th I sneezed hard at work and had more pain than I've had except for just a few times...finally went to my family doctor (he wasn't he one who dx'd me, it was his NP, and I have nothing against NPs, they're great...) but anyway he said today no way it is just pleurisy, because it hurts when he puts pressure on my extremely specific spot of pain. Got x-rays...broke my 7th rib, right side. Well, it sounds like I broke it back in March and then broke it again last Saturday. I can't pick things off the floor. My back hurts, can't pick kids up easily although it's really really hard not to. So I'm supposed to take it easy. He said runners don't like to rest but he agreed it'd be a good idea to at least cut back and I had already decided this past weekend that I wouldn't run the marathon thinking if this is pleurisy and a ridiculously long virus, I should try to support my body and heal up. I'm just tired of being sick and in pain and will cut back on the running and skip the marathon training until I'm healed up. The scary thing is that I broke it from coughing in the first place and sneezing in the 2nd place..and I could re-break it. 

At least I have an answer and know bending and lifting and movement are going to make it longer to heal. He said up to 14-16 weeks or longer since we can't immobilize ribs.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:30 am

Oh, Julie, that sucks!  You have a great ability to cough, if you've broken a rib as a result.  Wise to majorly scale back to let your body concentrate on healing.  I hope you don't have a pre-disposition for brittle bones.

Enjoy the healing and read up on new training techniques, then let us know what you find!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:42 am

Aw man, that stinks! Sorry Julie.

I'm wondering, though, if a broken rib (provided it heals) is a better thing to have than pleurisy. Pleurisy can be mysterious and might recur. Broken bone? Once it heals, it heals, right?

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:05 pm

sorry to hear it.  the no running will be tough.  can you do something else at all?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:43 pm

ounce wrote:Oh, Julie, that sucks!  You have a great ability to cough, if you've broken a rib as a result.  Wise to majorly scale back to let your body concentrate on healing.  I hope you don't have a pre-disposition for brittle bones.

Enjoy the healing and read up on new training techniques, then let us know what you find!

Thanks! I'll be reading when I can. Hope I don't drive myself too crazy. I hope I don't either. I eat a lot of calcium. I guess I just had a really really bad cough (it was bad...). We were all really sick March-April so at least glad that part is over.

Mark B wrote:Aw man, that stinks! Sorry Julie.

I'm wondering, though, if a broken rib (provided it heals) is a better thing to have than pleurisy. Pleurisy can be mysterious and might recur. Broken bone? Once it heals, it heals, right?

Thanks! I have no idea...my doctor said the symptoms are the same so I don't know if pleurisy would hurt less but I think it heals faster? Well, I guess we don't get to pick our problems anyway so I'm just glad I have an answer and know that it does do some good to not pick up the boys or lift wts or anything else I've been doing this summer. The problem with once it heals, it heals is that I did re-break this last Sat, so I feel like I'm not out of the woods till I am completely healed and hope I don't get a bad cold that makes me sneeze or cough a bunch again. 

mountandog wrote:sorry to hear it.  the no running will be tough.  can you do something else at all?

I'm just cutting back on running, not cutting it out. I could walk. I can't lift weights or put too much on my right arm so that cuts out  a bunch of stuff. Thank you.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Sorry to hear this, Julie - heal up!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks Michele. My husband is helping out a lot and J is a big helper. Ibuprofen is my friend, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:17 pm

That's disappointing news!  I know how important your running and your family are to you and I know not being able to do the things that you/they need has to be tough.  Good to hear that you can do a bit of running or at least walking as you heal.  Take it easy...hope it heals completely before the next coughing/sneezing fit!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks Nancy!

My marathon would be Sunday. Kind of crazy but plenty busy in other areas so it's just as well. 

Our dishwasher leaked awhile back and we discovered mildew...and finally decided to replace lower cabinets that were trash and really ruined. So off on a quest to find a contractor because my husband was tired of DIY projects (although he is very good at them, it's just stressful and busy). Anyway, learned that it's crazy expensive and nobody has ever heard of someone wanting to pay cash for a kitchen remodel before(which we were aiming to do). Ended up getting help from a friend and from my dad and here's what we have. And one thing leads to another so of course I had to paint the rest of the house and plan to refloor the bathroom this coming weekend. Flooring was actually kind of fun. My daughter helped.  Very Happy

Back to my Natal State 2015-08-19%2008.00.46_zpsjxjecqhq

before

Back to my Natal State 2015-09-03%2015.42.53_zpsvaxnp0ej

after

Running is OK. Up to 13 miles on the weekends. But really just busy with family and the house. I did finally reach and then go below my pre-pregnancy weight where I am now. I'd like to keep going if I can do it healthfully. Not really sure what my goal should be. It's been a lot easier because I weaned the boys and so my appetite is really much lower, plus with lower mileage. I think I forgot what normal people eat, I've been marathon training plus pregnant and or nursing for nearly 7 yrs now.

Last edited by Julie on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Nice work on the kitchen remodel. Good to know a cat wasn't involved. Smile

Congrats on the progress on the running and weight. Maybe you don't need to worry about a goal at this point other than to keep up the momentum and see where it takes you.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Kitchen looks great and you've kept up fairly well with your running through it all to!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next