365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Summer of CHANGE...

+5
Tim C
Julie
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
ounce
9 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Summer of CHANGE... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Summer of CHANGE...

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:53 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Modesto! That's where my dad was born! Very cool.

It has a decent paper, too, where a friend of mine used to work.

I know the Central Valley because I used to work at the north end (Red Bluff) and married a girl who grew up in Citrus Heights, in the suburbs east of Sacramento, and who had the misfortune of attending Fresno State.

You're right. Nobody wants to go to Fresno.

If you are looking for a cool foothills place to live, check out Oakdale. It's very un-valley, and that's a good thing. Smile

Which college is she going to? UC Merced, perhaps?

I've heard good things about Oakdale and maybe when we go out there in a couple of weeks, we'll check it out.

I think that Ounce may have mistaken what I wrote about the little lady.  She is completing her PhD here at the University of Wisconsin (food science).  She accepted a position with a large cheese company near Modesto.

Could you see if she could first work on getting that #@%! last quarter of container of Parmesan Cheese to not turn into a lump with the density somewhat below that of a neutron star? Thanks. Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:59 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Modesto! That's where my dad was born! Very cool.

It has a decent paper, too, where a friend of mine used to work.

I know the Central Valley because I used to work at the north end (Red Bluff) and married a girl who grew up in Citrus Heights, in the suburbs east of Sacramento, and who had the misfortune of attending Fresno State.

You're right. Nobody wants to go to Fresno.

If you are looking for a cool foothills place to live, check out Oakdale. It's very un-valley, and that's a good thing. Smile

Which college is she going to? UC Merced, perhaps?

I've heard good things about Oakdale and maybe when we go out there in a couple of weeks, we'll check it out.

I think that Ounce may have mistaken what I wrote about the little lady.  She is completing her PhD here at the University of Wisconsin (food science).  She accepted a position with a large cheese company near Modesto.
Tis' true I did take it to mean she was working on getting her PhD in California.

With her new job, I guess you can ask her not to cut the cheese at home, but just at work.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:30 am

CIM has been selling out in Sept and the guaranteed entry option closes before your goal marathon.  If you're serious about using it as a backup you may need to register this summer and then defer (for a cost) your entry if you don't need it.  CIM was my first marathon and a good one.  Don't tell anyone but Marty mentioned that he couldn't imagine me not doing another marathon just to prove I could and he figured it would be in the fall of 2016.  CIM was the first one that came to mind...

On a more important note...I hope you've checked into softball teams in the Modesto area...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:18 pm

nkrichards wrote:CIM has been selling out in Sept and the guaranteed entry option closes before your goal marathon.  If you're serious about using it as a backup you may need to register this summer and then defer (for a cost) your entry if you don't need it.  CIM was my first marathon and a good one.  Don't tell anyone but Marty mentioned that he couldn't imagine me not doing another marathon just to prove I could and he figured it would be in the fall of 2016.  CIM was the first one that came to mind...

On a more important note...I hope you've checked into softball teams in the Modesto area...

Thanks for the advice Nancy. I was planning on registering for both before the end of the month, as that's when the prices jump for both.

Last edited by Nick Morris on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Large cheese company huh - I think know who that is.  I'm betting it is the same company I worked for out of college - but I worked for the coffee division.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:48 am

Good weekend of running.  I got in 8.17 miles on Saturday morning before the rains came.  Then, I ran 15.06 miles on the crushed limestone bike path near my parents house, since I was home for father's day.  It was extremely foggy for the first 7.5 miles, with visibility at less than a 1/4 mile.  My mother rode her bike with me, so I was able to have a pacer Smile

Finished week 1 of 18 at just above the 40 mile mark.  I total of 40.81 miles to be precise.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:58 am

So, my softball game was cancelled due to morning storms again on Monday.  That is now three weeks in a row that we have been rained out and the third week in a row that I was able to get in a Monday run.  Just an easy 3 miler to get week 2 started off right.

Yesterday, I got in my scheduled 5 miles.  It was 80 degrees out, but a nice breeze made it feel cooler.

I did discover something new yesterday.  Did you know that they make water with caffeine in it?  Me either.  It is called Water Joe.  A 16.9 oz bottle contains 60mg of caffeine or about as much as one can of soda would.  The caveat is, that you do not get the sugar or artificial sweeteners from the soda.  Also, since it is just water and natural caffeine, you do not get the carbonation.  If you like to run on caffeine or just need that pick me up in the morning, this may be a better alternative than the sugary soda or calorie latent latte.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Neither was I aware about Water Joe.  I'm not addicted to caffeine, so it wouldn't be of benefit to me.  I hope the company has a good marketing plan for switching people.

Have you been able to get Hank to make a special appearance at your softball games, when it's not raining?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:36 pm

How bout this for the summer of change. I am just going to change what marathon I plan on running in October. Indy is out and Columbus is in!! C-Bus, Michele!!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Do they let in Badgers?  Actually there is a Penn State game that Saturday and we can't run into the stadium like they have done in years past - I think it is because they were the National Champs, but we run by the horseshoe.  I remember that we ran behind the field (big wall?) in Madison when I ran that race back in 2007.  It was 78F at the start and that small portion was the only cool part on the course.

Hope C-Bus doesn't disappoint!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Do they let in Badgers?  Actually there is a Penn State game that Saturday and we can't run into the stadium like they have done in years past - I think it is because they were the National Champs, but we run by the horseshoe.  I remember that we ran behind the field (big wall?) in Madison when I ran that race back in 2007.  It was 78F at the start and that small portion was the only cool part on the course.

Hope C-Bus doesn't disappoint!

Yes they do! And we are staying at the same hotel. Party in C-Bus!! Woot woot!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:26 pm

So, here is a gear post. Recently, my heart rate monitor finally bit the big one. It was my original that I got with my 305 many years ago. I think I got my use out of it Smile. Anyways, I ended up replacing it with the new Garmin HRM-Run. It pairs nicely with my 920xt that I purchased this past winter. I am thinking that I need to invest in Garmin stock as I have there most pricey watch and heart rate monitor Evil or Very Mad The strap itself is a little different from old one, in that it is more elastic and has better holding power, as in it stays put. So far the reading seem to be really good. Also with this monitor, I get ground contact time and vertical oscillation. Do I need those stats...not really...but is it cool to monitor them...definitely.

p.s. I really love my 920xt!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:31 am

Always nice to have a new toy.  Personally, I couldn't see the real benefit for my running in having the vertical oscillation and air time versus $200 price increase.

Maybe you can do a watch report on the value of those features.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:08 pm

ounce wrote:Always nice to have a new toy.  Personally, I couldn't see the real benefit for my running in having the vertical oscillation and air time versus $200 price increase.

Maybe you can do a watch report on the value of those features.

I don't really see a huge benefit from VOC or GCT, either.  Why I think it is worth the $200 is that it also can be a smart watch, as it connects to your smart phone and sends notifications to the watch.  It also is an activity tracker, so there is no need for a fitbit. The new GLOSNASS technology is supposed to be even more accurate at recording your gps coordinates, which in turn, means that the numbers on the watch are more accurate.  The battery life is longer, data transfers to Garmin Connect automatically through my phone, I can download apps and watch faces, and it tracks cadence without the need for a foot pod.

To me it is worth it...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:14 pm

This morning I got in my first "speed" workout of the training cycle.  6.25 mile fartlek with a first mile warm up and last mile cool down.  I always tend to enjoy these runs as they tend to break up the routine running and work my fast twich a little bit.  Tuesday speedwork will be a reoccurring theme over the next 7 weeks, with speedwork scheduled 5 out the next 7 weeks.  My definition of speedwork is fartleks and tempo runs.

On a side note, I can't believe that i am almost a month into training already.  Sunday will mark the end of Week 4.  Also, I am flying out to California this weekend to look for places to live, so I will get my weekend long runs in there.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Have a nice trip.  I hear they still have running water.  Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:30 pm

ounce wrote:Have a nice trip.  I hear they still have running water.  Wink

Yes, we do.  However if the Water Police catch you actually using water, you can be fined big time...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:24 pm

Oh, lordy! Your 305 died? That means I may have the last one left. Shocked

Looking forward to seeing reports on how much you like your new unit. Some of the bells and whistles may be less useful than others, but I would be happy to have a GPS chip that's a bit more accurate on the trails. There was a 1-mile variance between my 305 and an iPhone 5 the last time we went into the woods. The iPhone 5 is much newer, so I'm guessing it was more accurate.

Good luck in the house-hunting! Don't freak out when you see everything completely dried out. Even if there wasn't a serious drought going on, it hardly ever rains in California (or the rest of the West) in the summertime. Totally different from east of the 100th Merdian, where it rains all year long.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:20 am

Mark B wrote:Oh, lordy! Your 305 died? That means I may have the last one left. Shocked

Looking forward to seeing reports on how much you like your new unit. Some of the bells and whistles may be less useful than others, but I would be happy to have a GPS chip that's a bit more accurate on the trails. There was a 1-mile variance between my 305 and an iPhone 5 the last time we went into the woods. The iPhone 5 is much newer, so I'm guessing it was more accurate.

Good luck in the house-hunting! Don't freak out when you see everything completely dried out. Even if there wasn't a serious drought going on, it hardly ever rains in California (or the rest of the West) in the summertime. Totally different from east of the 100th Merdian, where it rains all year long.

No no no...my 305s heart rate monitor died. I still have two working 305 watches Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:29 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Oh, lordy! Your 305 died? That means I may have the last one left. Shocked

No no no...my 305s heart rate monitor died. I still have two working 305 watches Smile

And mine's been relegated to my biking watch, but it still functions quite well.  I think my ex is still using my old 205 as well.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:40 am

So, I used yesterday's rest day to find a place to live when we move out to California.  We ended up finding a nice 2 bed/2 bath place with plenty of storage and an attached garage.  We decided to go with a place in Turlock.  Which is a city of a little over 70,000 people that is just 9 miles south of Modesto.  I think that we will rent for the first year until we get situated and learn the area better, but this location is going to work out well for running.

I discovered a greenbelt/running/biking path that starts near my future residence.  I headed out on it this morning while it was still cool out.  The path is a very nice asphalt path that has a high wall with ivy on one side and trees on the other.  Both allow for ample shade, which will come in handy for warm afternoon runs.  I ended up doing an out and back that totaled 9.34 miles.  Almost a full four weeks into training and things are starting to come back together. I am seeing the paces start to pick up a little with the same or less effort. (Always a good thing) To me, this is when running gets fun.  When you can run faster at less effort Smile

Also, I broke in a new pair of training shoes this morning.  One of my favorite things to do is run on new shoes.  It just feels like I am floating on air.  Also, it doesn't help when they are pretty sharp looking too. (See below) New Balance 890 v4 Special Garmin Edition.  I really did the blue argyle...

The Summer of CHANGE... - Page 2 Image11
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Congrats on the new place!  One great thing about the area you're in is that you're almost literally "just down the hill" from Yosemite.  Don't miss out on the opportunity to explore that park in its entirety; it's incredible.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Nick Morris wrote:So, I used yesterday's rest day to find a place to live when we move out to California.  We ended up finding a nice 2 bed/2 bath place with plenty of storage and an attached garage.  We decided to go with a place in Turlock.  Which is a city of a little over 70,000 people that is just 9 miles south of Modesto.  I think that we will rent for the first year until we get situated and learn the area better, but this location is going to work out well for running.

I discovered a greenbelt/running/biking path that starts near my future residence.  I headed out on it this morning while it was still cool out.  The path is a very nice asphalt path that has a high wall with ivy on one side and trees on the other.  Both allow for ample shade, which will come in handy for warm afternoon runs.  I ended up doing an out and back that totaled 9.34 miles.  Almost a full four weeks into training and things are starting to come back together. I am seeing the paces start to pick up a little with the same or less effort. (Always a good thing) To me, this is when running gets fun.  When you can run faster at less effort Smile

Also, I broke in a new pair of training shoes this morning.  One of my favorite things to do is run on new shoes.  It just feels like I am floating on air.  Also, it doesn't help when they are pretty sharp looking too. (See below) New Balance 890 v4 Special Garmin Edition.  I really did the blue argyle...

The Summer of CHANGE... - Page 2 Image11

So I've been running in the 890's for years, v1 up thru the v4 and now the v5. I have never seen those though... very cool... Can you still get those???
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:06 pm

Did your job transfer you out there too?  I think I remember you saying they had offices on the left coast??  I think my training is a bit ahead of yours - but cool that we are on the same schedule!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Garmin brand shoes? Do they have any special features?

I'll second what Mike said about Yosemite. There are also a lot of amazing places to camp and hike in the area between South Lake Tahoe and the north end of Yosemite. You've found a great spot to live for now. Can't wait for photos! Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next