365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

The Summer of CHANGE...

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Summer of CHANGE...

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:16 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Did your job transfer you out there too?  I think I remember you saying they had offices on the left coast??  I think my training is a bit ahead of yours - but cool that we are on the same schedule!!!!

What week are you on? I just finished Week 4 of 18 with an 18 mile long run.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:30 am

Mark B wrote:Garmin brand shoes? Do they have any special features?

I'll second what Mike said about Yosemite. There are also a lot of amazing places to camp and hike in the area between South Lake Tahoe and the north end of Yosemite. You've found a great spot to live for now. Can't wait for photos! Smile

From what I've read, the downside to the Garmin shoes is that you can't run in them until the shoes find the satellite.  But when the satellite is found, the shoes turn green!

9 miles for a commute is cake, especially on a freeway. 

Others would have to chime in, but is Turlock and Modesto north of the valley fog that occurs in October that occurs from Fresno to the south?
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Did your job transfer you out there too?  I think I remember you saying they had offices on the left coast??  I think my training is a bit ahead of yours - but cool that we are on the same schedule!!!!

What week are you on? I just finished Week 4 of 18 with an 18 mile long run.
Just finished week 6 as I started to ramp up in June.  I only did 16 miles and then this coming weekend I have a half marathon.  Not sue how I'm going to approach it yet and it will probably be a game day call.  Our weather has been real strange as it has not be appreciably warm, but it has been incredibly humid.  For my long run on Sunday morning, it was only 61F but it was 94% humidity!  It is also incredibly hilly around here so that takes getting used to as well.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:15 pm

So, after having a great week of running last week that was capped off with two great weekend long runs (9.34 @ 7:44 pace and 18.15 @ 7:58 pace), I come back to the Midwest and end up catching a bug along the way.  We flew back on Monday night and I slept horribly that night.  Tossing and turning with stomach issues.  Then, Tuesday morning all hell breaks loose (literally)...diarrhea and stomach cramps for most of the day.  So much, that I took Tuesday night off.  I started feeling better Tuesday night and the cramps subsided quite a bit.  I went out for my 8 mile run yesterday and after a mile I started to get stomach cramps again.  I ended up turning around and heading back after only two miles.  Good thing I did, because I really needed to use the facilities.  That leads me to this morning, where I headed out on a 6 mile run.  I made almost 2 miles when the urge came on again. I ended up needing to make a pit stop in the woods at the 2.25 mile mark.  I kept on, though, and ended up making it back to complete the entire 6 miles, but my stomach has been cramped and I have needed to use the facilities quite a bit.  So, now I am hoping to shake whatever I picked up traveling earlier this week, as I have 29 total miles scheduled for the weekend.  Oh...and I am continuing to stay hydrated.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:16 pm

ounce wrote:Others would have to chime in, but is Turlock and Modesto north of the valley fog that occurs in October that occurs from Fresno to the south?

Actually, the famous "tule fog" of the Central Valley of California isn't limited to the southern San Joaquin Valley (the lower lobe of the Central Valley). It can get insanely foggy down there, but that sort of insanely dense fog can also develop as far north as Sacramento, which is north of Modesto/Turlock.

When I say "insanely dense," I'm not exaggerating: I've gotten caught in it before while driving, and I could barely see the fog line, let alone anything beyond that. When you're doing 55 mph on the freeway when *phoom!* you hit the fogbank in the dark, that's a scary thing.

Nick: So sorry about the stomach bug. Those are awful. You might want to hit another full rest day to see if you can get it flushed (pardon the expression) out of your system.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Others would have to chime in, but is Turlock and Modesto north of the valley fog that occurs in October that occurs from Fresno to the south?

Actually, the famous "tule fog" of the Central Valley of California isn't limited to the southern San Joaquin Valley (the lower lobe of the Central Valley). It can get insanely foggy down there, but that sort of insanely dense fog can also develop as far north as Sacramento, which is north of Modesto/Turlock.

When I say "insanely dense," I'm not exaggerating: I've gotten caught in it before while driving, and I could barely see the fog line, let alone anything beyond that. When you're doing 55 mph on the freeway when *phoom!* you hit the fogbank in the dark, that's a scary thing.

Nick: So sorry about the stomach bug. Those are awful. You might want to hit another full rest day to see if you can get it flushed (pardon the expression) out of your system.

+1 on the bug.  Give your body the opportunity to heal!

Oh, California is going to tax you for taking one of their bugs out of state.  [Well, they tax people $1 for toasting the bread at a Subway.] Money
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 pm

So after posting a horrible week that saw me cut my 20 miler down to 14 as my body was fatigued from fighting off a nasty stomach bug, I redeemed myself with a decent step back week. I capped it off with a 12 miler, with every mile a negative split. It was great to be able to pick up the pace mile after mile, until I finished with a 7:36 12th mile. Hopefully everything is good to go for this weekend as I have another 20 scheduled.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:07 am

Approval
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:07 am

I can't catch a break. I somehow now contracted a cold earlier this week. I know, a cold when it is 89 degrees out. Sore throat and clogged sinuses aside, I got in my scheduled 9 miles last night. It was hard to breathe the last 3 miles, but I still got it in at a 7:48 pace. Not too bad...I am hoping this is a fast moving cold and is out of my system soon.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:22 am

I usually get a cold in June and in November.  Short of going to the doctor, keep fluid intake up to assist in thinning the stuffiness and hot fluids to lessen the pain in the throat, plus whatever Mom might post.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:17 pm

I am still fighting off my damn cold, but I was able to get in my 10 miler this evening. It is pretty much in my nose right now. So a lot of snot rockets went flying tonight. Hopefully I will rid of it soon.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Summer snot rockets? Ew. Sorry. Feel better soon!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:32 pm

They're probably multiple warhead snot rockets, to boot!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:05 pm

Take care of yourself, Nick.  It is that airplane air, I swear.  My hubby showed up here last weekend with a nasty cold and we (my daughter and I) sent him back to Cleveland (lol).

MP was excited when I said that you guys were all coming to run Columbus - she said she wished she could come now, but alas, I will see her in NY.  Joe is coming too as he needs Ohio.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Man what a week it has been...whew!!

Last Saturday I finally got in a good 20 miler, at a 7:58 pace none the less. Then on Sunday we went to the Brewers/Cardinals game for my sisters birthday. Monday, the little lady and I set off on a cross country journey to officially move her to California. Picture two people in a little car with two cats, two plants, two fish, and a bunch of luggage. We made it to Chyenne, WY Monday (13 hours, 12 minutes) and stayed with my Aunt and Uncle that live there. Then, Tuesday morning we set off through Utah and Nevada stopping another 13 hours and 44 minutes later in Reno, NV for the night. Then Wednesday morning, we made the scenic drive past Tahoe and ove the Sierra Nevadas into Sacramento and the Central Valley. We drove through Mike's old stomping grounds of Auburn, Ca. That place is gorgeous, not sure why he ever left Wink. We made it to our new residence Wednesday morning and spent the rest of the week getting things unpacked and settled in. I even had a job interview on Friday while I was in the area. Hopefully good things there!

I also, got in a few good runs while I was there 10, 4, 12, 7 respectively for my step back week. I am currently on my flight back to Madison and reality...at least for a little bit...I hope.

I will post some photos from our drive in a little while...

Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:05 pm

With the quantity of little critters, it reminds me of Noah's Ark, Noah.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:44 am

You guys roadtrip MUCH better than Aileen and I do.  It took us some 6-7 days to get to Chicago, and just one 13hr day was enough for me.

Auburn is quite beautiful, yes.  I find its inhabitants to be somewhat depressing - lots of dead-end/addiction vibes.  Or maybe I was just lonely up there.  Wink

Congrats on the interview and initial move in!
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:25 am

Congrats on the successful 20 miler and the road trip!  Not sure which would have been the toughest...

Hope all goes well as you move forward with training and with the big move.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Here are the photos that I promised...

Wyoming

Utah

Sierra Nevada

My Pool Smile

Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Great photos!

And you didn't mention how many fish you finished the trip with. The cats might have gotten hungry. cat cat

Welcome to the Golden State! (Well, once you get back, that is.) Good luck with the interviews.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:59 pm

Catching everyone up on my weekend of running.  I got in a good 32+ miles of running.  Saturday was 12+ on 4 1/2 hours of sleep after getting in late the night before from Denver.  I could feel the jet lag...I got a decent night of sleep on Saturday night, which was much needed.  (So much traveling and other things going on at the moment...got me running on fumes) Sunday saw 20.5+ miles on a pretty nice morning for a run.  I chose my hilly loop, which may not have been wise considering that my body is a little tired.  I made it through, though, to complete a decent run.  I could definitely feel it the last 2.5 miles.  Let's just say that I was pooped afterwards Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Remember a pacer is always welcome - lol.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Remember a pacer is always welcome - lol.

I'm gong to need one Wink
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Another update on my progress!!!  So, it has been a crazy 5 weeks or so, to say the least.  I drove to California, was in Chicago, Denver, Wichita, and Indianapolis, before heading back out to California for Labor Day Weekend.  Whew!!!  I covered (and ran) a lot of miles.

This past week was a step back week, but I wanted to use my short long run (all my long runs have been 20 or 12 miles) to really test out my fitness and push myself a little bit.  I figured that I would head out hoping to average around a 7:15 pace for the 12 miles.  It was a gorgeous morning to run in California.  The temp was 53 degrees at sunrise, not wind, and low dew point/humidity.  I must say, I run so much better at 80 ft above sea level with no humidity.  I ended up running an average pace of 7:06 for the 12.06 miles.  I had one mile at 6:54 and another at 6:59.  It made me feel a little better about my training.  I should continue to get faster, as I still have two more 20 milers on my schedule before taper.  My weight has started to really come off as my mileage has increased.  I don't think that I will be where I want to be at Columbus, but I am getting back into the "feel fast" shape that I like. I wish that I had a few more weeks in my training schedule, but alas, I do not.  My plan is to go to Columbus and hang with the 3:05 pace group for as long as possible.  I think that if I can hang with them until mile 22 or 23, I should be in good shape for a 3:07-3:08 and another BQ by 2-3 minutes (3:10 BQ time).

This week is a pretty large mileage week for me, that should see me approach 70 miles for the week.  I am capping it off with a 34+ mile weekend.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:22 pm

Nice work, Nick! Are you now in California full-time?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top