365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Summer of CHANGE...

+5
Tim C
Julie
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
ounce
9 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Summer of CHANGE... - Page 4 Empty Re: The Summer of CHANGE...

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Nice job maintaining your training through a lot of things that would have thrown most of us off track.

Hope the mega-mileage weekend went well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Wow, sounds like you're doing great! Love the pics.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:26 pm

So, this first post is going to be a technology post.  In March I got the new HRM-Run which replaced my old HRM that came with my 305.  About two weeks or so ago, my new HRM-Run started recording funky readings.  My HR were about 20 beats higher than normal.  I was thinking that I got a faulty HRM, because the battery should last longer than that.  I ended up changing the battery and everything works fine with it again.  What I found out, and didn't know about this new fan dangled technology, is that you need to un-clip at least one of the nodes after each use.  I had been just leaving it clipped together the entire time, so the battery was being constantly drained.  Ugh...Well, it goes to show you how much men actually read instructions, but at least I know it now and will keep it un-clipped when I am not using it.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Now onto my running.  I completed my toughest week of training and was able to get in 70+ miles.  My body was definitely tired after that week, but I followed it up with a nice step back week.  

Then came the week before this last week.  I had to go to Denver for work again.  I headed out for a nice and easy recovery run on Monday when I got there.  Then Tuesday morning I headed out for my scheduled 8 miles. It was a beautiful morning to run.  I made about half way when i started to feel a dull ache from my left achilles.  I figured it was just something that would shake out, but by the time I got to my turn around it was aching more, which had me concerned.  I started back, because I was 4 miles from my hotel and I found that it wasn't too bad when I was running on a flat surface or downhill.  The good thing here is that running north on the Cherry Creek Trail is a gradual downhill run.  I was able to make it back to the street that my hotel was on, but had to take it easy getting up out of the train to the street.  After the run, I decided to shut it down the rest of the week and hope that it would go away before my Sunday 20 miler.  I did calf stretches and started an ibuprofen regime and felt pretty good by the time Sunday morning.  I took my cell phone with me just in case something would happen along the way.  I was extremely cautious the first mile, but didn't feel anything in the achilles.  I nice and easy 7:54 for the first mile.  I continued on and before I knew it, I was at mile 5 and feeling good.  So good, that the pace had dropped to a low 7:40 average.  I kept on going and the pace kept picking up.I made it halfway and I was under a 7:40 overall average pace.  Feeling great, I kept on, but not too long after the 11 mile mark I started to feel a little niggle in the achilles.  I kept on until mile 12, but decided that it wasn't worth me going any further and making any worse.  So, I had a friend pick me up.  Disappointing, yet an encouraging run.  I felt a little bit of my achilles, but was killing the 20 mile run and I know that I would have averaged close to a 7:35 or less for the entire 20 if I would have been 100% healthy.

I ended up shutting it down all week this past week.  Continuing my calf rolling, ibuprofen regime, and purchased an anti-inflammatory cream that I have been putting on the area 3-4 times a day.  I felt good yesterday and decided to give it a go this morning, as I was scheduled for 7 miles.  A cool fall 42 degrees at 7 am this morning, as I headed out for my run.  The good news is that everything felt good after I was done, I got in 7.43 miles, and I did it at a very easy 7:43 pace.  Tomorrow will be the big test when I head out for 12 miles.  I am hoping that I can make it through that run feeling good and put this behind me.

Oh, and did I mention that Monday is the start of TAPER!?!?!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:05 am

Nick Morris wrote:So, this first post is going to be a technology post.  In March I got the new HRM-Run which replaced my old HRM that came with my 305.  About two weeks or so ago, my new HRM-Run started recording funky readings.  My HR were about 20 beats higher than normal.  I was thinking that I got a faulty HRM, because the battery should last longer than that.  I ended up changing the battery and everything works fine with it again.  What I found out, and didn't know about this new fan dangled technology, is that you need to un-clip at least one of the nodes after each use.  I had been just leaving it clipped together the entire time, so the battery was being constantly drained.  Ugh...Well, it goes to show you how much men actually read instructions, but at least I know it now and will keep it un-clipped when I am not using it.

Wow, that's an argument for the old-fashioned strap right there. Other than that glitch, though, do you like the new setup better?

Nick Morris wrote:Oh, and did I mention that Monday is the start of TAPER!?!?!

With a touchy achilles? Oh boy, this is going to be a wild ride.

Well, you've definitely got the body ready for this race. Give yourself just enough stimulus to keep the edge while giving your irritated tendon a chance to settle down. You'll be fine.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:33 pm

I ordered the touchy Achilles so I could get a pacer again (lol).  The money is in the bank, Nick - no worries bout shutting things down. Remember how good the hammie felt at Boston until the cold got to you at the very end - and in essence you were fine.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:04 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I ordered the touchy Achilles so I could get a pacer again (lol).  The money is in the bank, Nick - no worries bout shutting things down. Remember how good the hammie felt at Boston until the cold got to you at the very end - and in essence you were fine.

Ha ha...very funny.  The only way I am pacing you is if you can run a 7:00 pace Wink  The hamstring injury was waaaaayyy worse than this one.  I'll be good to rock and roll at C-Bus...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Good news boys and girls.  Completed my 12 miler this morning with no issues.  Hopefully this means that i have turned the corner with my achilles discomfort. 

Alright, on to two weeks of taper.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I ordered the touchy Achilles so I could get a pacer again (lol).  The money is in the bank, Nick - no worries bout shutting things down. Remember how good the hammie felt at Boston until the cold got to you at the very end - and in essence you were fine.

Ha ha...very funny.  The only way I am pacing you is if you can run a 7:00 pace Wink  The hamstring injury was waaaaayyy worse than this one.  I'll be good to rock and roll at C-Bus...
Nah been there run that
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:56 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Nah been there run that

Oh, snap. Wink

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:37 pm

So, when you get settled in San Diego, what are the chances I can use you as a beer mule?  Shots
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Full mode taper time.  Last good run was on Saturday.  An 8 mile tempo run for some last minute fast twitch.

Plus, I used this past weekend (Sunday run) to do a gear check.

Shoes...check.
Singlet...check.

I figured that my easy 5 miles on Sunday was more than enough to figure out if there would be any unusual chaffing or hot spots. All systems go...

Weather is looking nice for Sunday in Columbus.  Saturday's overnight low is looking to be in the low to mid 30s, meaning that it should be in the middle to upper 30s at the start.  Perfect BQ weather Smile My best races have come in 30 degree weather at the start.

I'll also be that guy at the start line in a singlet and shorts...no hat...no gloves...while everyone else will look like it is the middle of February in Northern Wisconsin. Rolling Eyes
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Sounds like you're ready to rock this, Nick! Good luck.

Care to share your race strategy and goals?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Full mode taper time.  Last good run was on Saturday.  An 8 mile tempo run for some last minute fast twitch.

Shoes...check.
Singlet...check.

I figured that my easy 5 miles on Sunday was more than enough to figure out if there would be any unusual chaffing or hot spots. All systems go...

Weather is looking nice for Sunday in Columbus.  Saturday's overnight low is looking to be in the low to mid 30s, meaning that it should be in the middle to upper 30s at the start.  Perfect BQ weather Smile My best races have come in 30 degree weather at the start.

I'll also be that guy at the start line in a singlet and shorts...no hat...no gloves...while everyone else will look like it is the middle of February in Northern Wisconsin. Rolling Eyes
Hey - we are tougher than that in Ohio!  I will have on a singlet and skirt - with added arm sleeves and gloves (my hands get real cold).  IOf If I wear a hat it will be my normal ball cap, and I might wear longer socks - but I wear them for a lot of marathons and even in the wrm weather.  See you in a few days.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:14 am

Nick Morris wrote:Full mode taper time.  Last good run was on Saturday.  An 8 mile tempo run for some last minute fast twitch.

Shoes...check.
Singlet...check.

Yes, I've seen you toe the starting line in a singlet and shorts in freezing weather...and finish with a BQ! 

I can't believe it's race time again already.  Sounds like you're ready to go...have a great race!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Sounds perfect! Mine was 60-something at the start. Not fun. I'm eager to hear about it and do hope you get your BQ, I don't know why you wouldn't.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:13 am

Race Day!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Race Day!!

And.....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:17 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Race Day!!

And.....
Good and bad...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:34 pm

So, race day has come and gone...I had an up and down race...

The weather ended up being great to race in.  It was lower 30s and no wind at the start of the race.  My plan was to stick with the 3:05 pace group for as long as I could and then hopefully make it in around 3:08 or so.  I started out well, since I was up near the front of the crowd (19,000 half marathoners and marathoners in the corrals).  Mile 1 was at 7:06, which is a little slow for the 3:05s, but I'll take it.  We continued on hitting 7:02 and 6:59 for the next two miles, putting us at a 7:02 average which is just under the 3:05 time.  Perfect for me...until mile 4.  The pace group decided that 6:44 should be the new pace, which is way under even 3:05.  So, it was then and there that I decided to just back off and hit 7:00-7:03 for as long as I can.  I'm chugging along at that pace until a little after 10 miles when I could start to feel my hammy that I hurt back in the spring.  Crap...

I kept on holding pace, with it not getting any worse.  I crossed the half at 1:33:00...Right on pace.  It was t this point that I wondered if I should turn and just finish the half marathon and save myself for CIM in December.  Since I was still on pace and not getting worse, I pushed on.  I was starting to tire a little as I got to 16, but was still hitting 7:10s.  Then at 17 the hammy started to get a little worse.  My pace dropped and I was losing time.  At this point I saw a volunteer with a walkie talkie and figured I could get a ride back to the finish.  I stopped and asked where the nearest Med Tent was and she wasn't sure.  I knew that there had to be one coming up soon.  I stretched a little and decided to keep going forward.  I came upon the next med tent at mile 19 and stopped there to get a ride to the finish.  One of the medics there asked if we should try stretching it out.  I said sure and so we stretched it good for a bit.  It seemed to loosen things up a bit and I asked where the next med tent was.  He told me around mile 22, so I decided to just see if I could make it to the next tent.  It actually felt a little better for a while and I made to mile 22 and decided to keep going. I mean, I was really only 4 miles from finishing the damn thing anyways.  I ended up fighting through by stopping at the water stations to stretch.

I ended up getting across the finish line at 3:23:XX.  Not bad, considering that I stopped at two med stops and stretched at the last two water stops.  Hopefully things will hold up for me in December at CIM, when I shoot for a BQ one more time...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Gratz on finishing.  Six or seven weeks should be enough time to help your hamstring realize that it has another BQ in you.  Seems like some PT is in order.  Good luck on the rehab.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Wow Nick...bad luck...you sure appeared to be ready for another BQ.  Nice finish all things considered.  How's the hammie feeling?   Hope you're 100% for CIM.  You're going to love the course.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:19 pm

Great to see you all last weekend. I hope the drive home wasn't too bad on the hammie.  I was happy to make it home with no cramping at all which really surprised me.  That is way more of an accomplishment for me!

You have plenty of time before CIM to get the hammie back on track.  Like Doug said, once it feels good, some strengthening exercises are merited.  Start with some simple hip and glute stuff like clamshells and leg lifts then move on to hamstring curls with an exercise ball and kettle bells dead lifts. Strengthening those weak spots is what gets all of us old folks by.  

Hopefully Jenny is feeling better than she did at the end of the race, and you can tell Pete again that I think he is nuts with his upcoming race schedule. 

Great to see you - sorry the race wasn't what you wanted, but you have plenty of time to get it all in control for CIM.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:03 pm

I got in an easy 4.29 miles on Sunday and everything felt alright.  I was going a little crazy taking the week off, but I know that it is for my own good.

I hit the gym yesterday doing my normal weight and core training, but did add in some hamstring strengthening exercises.  I will continue to do them at least twice a week.  I also want to add in some sport massages to help keep thing loose.  

Hoping that the rain holds off this afternoon so that I can get a dry run in...Otherwise, it may get moist Wink
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Moist...

A dark, cold, wet, and windy evening for my birthday run.  I got in a moist, but easy 4.35 miles.  Easing back into it this week before ramping back up.  It was weird that I did not see any other runners out enjoying the wonderful fall evening Rolling Eyes

The Summer of CHANGE... - Page 4 Image11
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next