365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Is Flat

+7
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
nkrichards
Julie
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
ounce
11 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The World Is Flat - Page 4 Empty Re: The World Is Flat

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks, John.  He is in Cleveland which helps a lot as we've become good friends and even run together sometimes (he is wicked fast though at 47 he still runs sub-3 consistently even with a hip injury).

Columbus is a great race, and I think Nick would 2nd that even if he only really ran a training run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Welcome back, Miche1e.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks Doug.  Not sure anyone cares, but I did want to let anyone know that is considering it, that PRK (a form of laser eye surgery) is actually pretty stress free and I'm very glad that I had it done.  Maybe my only regret is that with schedules I had to wait until the 12th (last Tuesday) which cuts a bit into Boston training.  I know I have some residual fitness from CBus but I have been running very easy, lower mileage in Nov and Dec, so I don't expect anything stellar in Boston.  I'm also missing this weekend's long run and I am the "chaperone" to my daughter and her friends in the Dominican the first week of March.  (Weird, I know but for some strange reason one parent would not let her 21 yr old daughter go to the DR with her other 21 and 22 yr old college senior friends.  So I volunteered to go - hey, why not!  

Back to the PRK, I'd say the worst part of the experience was during days 2 and 3.  My eye (I only had one done because they do mono vision and my reading is fine without correction) seemed to water incessantly and I had to keep it closed for 15-20 min periods and then it would be fine.  I never took any of the good drugs as I had no pain or discomfort.  It simply felt (and still feels a little) like I have something in my eye or an upside down contact, and I just need to resist the urge to rub or scratch the eye.  I can't "run" until Wednesday after I have the temporary contact removed (it has no correction and is just for protection), but I was able to do 45 min on the elliptical/run thing today. The toughest part was keeping sweat out of the eye.

Anyway, I'll get back to Boston training on the 25th and hopefully our weather won't be too bad.  We had our first snowfall last weekend which left covered sidewalks, but I did run both Monday and Tuesday before the surgery in the very cold weather which is easy to do as long as the sideswalks stay pretty clean.  Cold is fine.  Snow and iced are not.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Let me get one thing straight with you, Michele.  The remaining people on this message board care about you.  Any questions?

I hope your eyes plus peripheral parts accept the change.  Maybe invest less than $5 for a sweatband.  I have 3 because sweat rolls too easy into my eyes and I think there are fewer eye brow hair follicles than 5 years ago, to help re-route the sweat.

How life sucks for you to have to go down to DR and 'watch' some 21 year olds. Wink   I guess it's a 'Natalie Holloway' concern.  DR in March & LA in February.  Life is good.  Is your hubby still in SoCal?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:13 am

I'll second what Doug said: We care very much, Michele. We miss you when you're gone, and we're happy when you're here.

I know it's early at this point, but how are you liking the lens-free life? I've had contact lenses since Carter was president, and I've always been leery about the idea of having my eyes surgically fixed. Good for you for getting it done.

Wouldn't worry too much about missing a run or two... but having 21-year-olds running around the DR? Yipes!

Don't be a stranger!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:07 am

Lens free is pretty awesome so far and my vision isn't near where it should be in the end (it can take up to 4 months).  I, too, have worn contacts since Jimmy was in office!!!

I am more excited to donate my glasses and "sell" back the two boxes of contacts that I have in my possession.  Can't believe I waited so long to do it especially since it really wasn't super expensive (and I went to the Cleveland Clinic Opthamology to have it done - so more expensive than those Lasik Plus ads), and I know I have spent more on lens and drops and saline, etc. than it cost!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:29 pm

So, how is the way of eating working out for you with 50 miles in February?

(Psst...Mark, tic-tac-toe?)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Things are going well, Doug.  Just nothing major to report.  We have had an incredibly mild winter so far and that being said, I've gotten in most of my runs out doors without a lot of snow or ice or anything like that.  Completed 184 miles in February and even traveled to LA and didn't run on Leap Day.  Hoping to keep things going in the positive direction in March with an upcoming vacation to the Dominican Republic and the NYC Half on 3/20.  

Will report in then.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Ah yes, the Girl Scouts trip with a slew of college females as the Girl Scouts.  I hope those girls keep you out of trouble.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Ironic that you were commenting on a warm winter right before getting clobbered by snow, eh?

Hope it's all melted off by now. Enjoy the DR and the race!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:05 pm

I need to close out this blog and start a new one as I am embarking on a "new" adventure this summer.  More to come.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Good bye, blog! bom bom
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:27 pm

I know that I promised to start a new blog, but the last month and an half has been so crazy, I have not had the time.  Then, I lost a bit of motivation too. As many of you readers know, my daughter graduated college on May 15th, and after a whirlwind trip to Boston, we came back to Ohio for just a couple of days and then we were off to Alaska.  A mother-daughter trip that was oh so much fun.  We began in Fairbanks and traveled to Denali National Park, McKinley, Whittier, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and then down to Vancouver, BC.The World Is Flat - Page 4 Denali10
The World Is Flat - Page 4 Glacie10
The World Is Flat - Page 4 Menden10

We then came back to Ohio for one day, and it was off to Nashville, TN where my daughter will be living and WORKING.  Yes, she got a job teaching 8th grade math.  I just returned late on Thursday to Ohio and will be here for a few days before embarking on my annual trek to NY state for the summer.

I have been running, swimming, and biking some, but I do now need to get a bit more serious.  I still not a fast cyclist, but I did ride 40 miles this morning which is a major accomplishment.  I have also learned a lot with regards to training.  I started with a group from the local tri club this morning and they decided to just hammer the ride, and knowing from running experience that it was not what I was capable of for a "ride" not a "race", I just dropped off the back and rode by myself.

Enough of that stuff though in that the underlying reason that I have not taken the time to blog or even read much of this site or FB or others is that I am still in denial over the sudden death of my CLE running Coach.  I knew that Coach Bob was in a tough state, but I didn't know the extent of his pain. While I was in Alaska, Bob died by suicide (as I found out you are supposed to say), and I have not yet really come to grips with it.  I'm so bad that I have not even called his wife (whom I actually have never met) because I really don't know what to say.  Every time I think about it, I come up with an excuse not too.  Cowardly I know, but I also know that I will get there.  I will so miss Bob as he took me back to a place last summer and fall that I have not been to in a long time.  I had a not great day at Boston, and I felt like I let him down, and then we made plans to run together at Boston next April. I also had him write me the first few weeks of my training plan for this upcoming tri - and well now, I'm hanging, I'm grieving, and I'm a bit mad.  I know it isn't about me, but damn, I wanted to curse him this morning and then ask for advice.

And that is where I'm at.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Those are some very stunning pictures, Miche1e.  I'd love to go there, but I doubt that I'll get to do it.  The Northern Lights would be my first desire to see.

As far as your coach, I don't think you should beat yourself up too much.  You'll have the fragrance of memories with your coach.  I think if you tell his wife what he meant to you and your running, that would probably help you both, especially her.  If she didn't run, she may not know the landscape of his impact in the community.  You can give her a few instances of how his life mattered to someone who wasn't a blood relative.

A card could do, if you don't want to call or make an appointment to go by to see her.  You may want to feel your way around that issue.

Devote your training to his memory and get back on that horse or whatever Coach Bob would say, along with shaking his finger at you.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:50 pm

So sorry to hear...  Hopefully with time your memories of Bob will be pleasant ones again.  His influence on your life and your running will be with you even if he isn't.  A difficult time made even more difficult because of the circumstances.  You have my sympathy as you deal with the loss.

On a more pleasant note...fantastic photos.  What a great trip to share with your daughter.  Interesting coincidence...earlier today I booked a small ship cruise for my Mom and I departing Juneau May 28th 2017

I found biking those longer distances challenging but fun.  You'll do fine.  I will say that I can not imagine getting off my bike after a 50 mile ride and then running a half marathon! 

Best of luck with your training. 

Take care of yourself.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:05 am

When it rains it pours. Boston, Denali, Nashville, training for triathlon and then a long-time friend, coach and advisor takes his own life. That's really hard. Life's not fair. I could say "don't blame yourself." But you will. It's only natural. That's what makes suicide so hard for those left behind. Be well. And keep on training.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Thanks all!!!!  Missed you guys.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:59 am

What a time of highs and lows. Congrats to your daughter and props for a great vacation. But also so sorry for the loss of your coach and friend, especially like that. These sorts of things happen all too often. All we're left to do is carry on the best we can.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Posted my race report in the race report forum.  

Took a lot of heat from the tri club on my comments about the "walkers" during the run portion.  But I stand by my assessment that these athletes were not even attempting to run.  This was not a case of wow my legs are tired, I think I run a little and walk a little - there was no running involved at all.  I absolutely applaud anyone who gets out there and tries no matter what, but I still cannot fathom flying by me on the bike and then walking the entire 13.1 miles.  C'mon - not even a little bit of running?  Anyway, that was my observation and I'm sticking with it - mainly cause I believe it to be true.  I get that life gets in the way and we don't all get to train like we want, etc., etc., but walk the entire 13.1 miles - I think that was the plan.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:03 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Posted my race report in the race report forum.  

Took a lot of heat from the tri club on my comments about the "walkers" during the run portion.  But I stand by my assessment that these athletes were not even attempting to run.  This was not a case of wow my legs are tired, I think I run a little and walk a little - there was no running involved at all.  I absolutely applaud anyone who gets out there and tries no matter what, but I still cannot fathom flying by me on the bike and then walking the entire 13.1 miles.  C'mon - not even a little bit of running?  Anyway, that was my observation and I'm sticking with it - mainly cause I believe it to be true.  I get that life gets in the way and we don't all get to train like we want, etc., etc., but walk the entire 13.1 miles - I think that was the plan.

An odd strategy, that's for sure. Could they sucked everything out of their legs on the bike leg? I wonder if at least some of them started running again later after getting some fuel in them? I hope so, anyway.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Mark B wrote:

An odd strategy, that's for sure. Could they sucked everything out of their legs on the bike leg? I wonder if at least some of them started running again later after getting some fuel in them? I hope so, anyway.
I think Mark that key is that most triathletes are not runners but cyclists and I don't think they are as familiar with pacing as maybe marathoners are.  I am also convinced that like marathons, many sign up for these races and then life takes over.  Most of them ran a little bit, but a very little bit as many had run times (for 13.1) miles) equivalent to their bike times for 56 miles.  Yes, shocking I know, but it is so.  That would be like me out there for 3 hrs on the bike and 3hrs for the half marathon.  I also worked hard on fueling and took it all pretty seriously as I figured I couldn't fake my way through it all!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I think Mark that key is that most triathletes are not runners but cyclists and I don't think they are as familiar with pacing as maybe marathoners are.  I am also convinced that like marathons, many sign up for these races and then life takes over.  Most of them ran a little bit, but a very little bit as many had run times (for 13.1) miles) equivalent to their bike times for 56 miles.  Yes, shocking I know, but it is so.  That would be like me out there for 3 hrs on the bike and 3hrs for the half marathon.  I also worked hard on fueling and took it all pretty seriously as I figured I couldn't fake my way through it all!

It is interesting to look at the results.  There is a significant number of participants who smoked the bike ride and then obviously walked the entire half.  Every split is at a walking pace.  Interesting strategy.  I do understand the "life gets in the way" excuse but when life got in the way of my marathon training in 2011 and 2012 I either stayed home or switched to the half (I know that wasn't an option here).  I'm not trying to make a judgment as I know that everyone has different priorities/goals but if I don't think I can complete my marathon in a reasonable pace for my age and situation I'm going to pull the plug.  As I said earlier I'm not judging... 

I didn't spend a lot of time looking at results but it does appear that you have some real potential as a triathlete.  Your swim and run are right up there with the best of them and you haven't spent much time on the bike.  Not sure if that's something you want to invest your time and energy in but it's fun to see how competitive you were.

nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:38 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

It is interesting to look at the results.  There is a significant number of participants who smoked the bike ride and then obviously walked the entire half.  Every split is at a walking pace.  Interesting strategy.  I do understand the "life gets in the way" excuse but when life got in the way of my marathon training in 2011 and 2012 I either stayed home or switched to the half (I know that wasn't an option here).  I'm not trying to make a judgment as I know that everyone has different priorities/goals but if I don't think I can complete my marathon in a reasonable pace for my age and situation I'm going to pull the plug.  As I said earlier I'm not judging... 

I didn't spend a lot of time looking at results but it does appear that you have some real potential as a triathlete.  Your swim and run are right up there with the best of them and you haven't spent much time on the bike.  Not sure if that's something you want to invest your time and energy in but it's fun to see how competitive you were.

I was trying not to judge either and that's what got me in trouble.  Probably just struck a nerve.  Anyway, I am thinking about doing another Half IM - actually one in Lake Placid.  The scary thing is that the bike and run are both hilly - like mountain hilly.  Of course, that just means a slower overall time which is no issue as everyone has to deal with the course. They say the swim is beautiful and makes up for the mountains!  Thinking.... Thinking......  It's next Sept 10 - 2017.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:39 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I was trying not to judge either and that's what got me in trouble.  Probably just struck a nerve.  Anyway, I am thinking about doing another Half IM - actually one in Lake Placid.  The scary thing is that the bike and run are both hilly - like mountain hilly.  Of course, that just means a slower overall time which is no issue as everyone has to deal with the course. They say the swim is beautiful and makes up for the mountains!  Thinking.... Thinking......  It's next Sept 10 - 2017.
You might be able to get an AG award, since they walk the run.  Then sponsorship, new AG in '18, Kona, etc.  Just remember us little people.
Money Money Money
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:33 pm

No worries - AG awards don't come easy.  But I will be in a new AG.....and at the bottom of that AG.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next