365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Page 38 of 41 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks, Mark.  As far as the pinky toe, it didn't actually blister, after further analysis.  It did sort of callous at the point of discomfort.  Maybe my removal of the shoe, adjusting the outer sock, and loosening up the shoestrings did the trick.  I would not be wearing the Kinvara 7s for the race, though.  I'd be wearing an older variety of the trail Kinvaras, the Peregrine 4.  Regardless, I'll be taping the toes and balls of the feet.  I still plan on going out to the 7IL in the Peregrines two or three times before the race to see how the Peregrines function, and myself for that matter.

Taping would cure the Kinvara issue (which is strange, since I've never had that problem in this shoe until this distance).  Also, getting the Engo blister patches and affixing it to the inside of the Kinvara would cure it, as well.

Did you ever wear 2 pairs of socks on the trails?

This morning, I went to the middle school track and walked a couple of laps barefoot.  I read in the book where soft and supple feet get more blisters than toughened up feet.  I also yelled repeatedly at my feet to toughen them up, too.

I had no residual effects of yesterday's 24 miles, even slept well.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:Sad to say that Gary's corn is looking significantly better than ours this summer.  Our winning streak may be over soon.  Of course we have a few more weeks so if Gary's horses just happened to get out and get into his garden...

Easy solution, Nancy: Just post a sign saying "ECLIPSE VIEWING AREA" in Gary's cornfield. If you advertise it, they will come.  Twisted Evil

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:Have to let the youngins win every now and then.  Maybe bring Augie to Gary's and let him spook the horses!

Excellent ideas from both of you!  But Gary's been doing all the swathing at night for us so I think I need to behave myself and smile and congratulate him when he wins.

I can't believe all the Eclipse hype.  I'm very interested to see if it actually gets as bad as they predict.  Even 30,000 people will just overwhelm our poor little town.  If the 100,000 that some are predicting arrive...well I just can't imagine it.  I'm going to stock my fridge and stay home.  We've already planned to make sure the crops are well watered and we're caught up enough to give the crew a couple days off.  We don't think they will be able to get to work even if they want to.  They are closing several businesses in town including the bank!

Augie is to sneaky to spook the horses.  He sneaks in with Kevin's 2 steers and slowly moves them into the corral without every making a sound or a quick move.  He would be a great cattle dog...if we had cattle.  He's getting better at irrigating. Smile

***
How are the feet responding to that tough talk Doug?
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6892
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:51 am

@nkrichards wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:Sad to say that Gary's corn is looking significantly better than ours this summer.  Our winning streak may be over soon.  Of course we have a few more weeks so if Gary's horses just happened to get out and get into his garden...

Easy solution, Nancy: Just post a sign saying "ECLIPSE VIEWING AREA" in Gary's cornfield. If you advertise it, they will come.  Twisted Evil

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:Have to let the youngins win every now and then.  Maybe bring Augie to Gary's and let him spook the horses!

Excellent ideas from both of you!  But Gary's been doing all the swathing at night for us so I think I need to behave myself and smile and congratulate him when he wins.

I can't believe all the Eclipse hype.  I'm very interested to see if it actually gets as bad as they predict.  Even 30,000 people will just overwhelm our poor little town.  If the 100,000 that some are predicting arrive...well I just can't imagine it.  I'm going to stock my fridge and stay home.  We've already planned to make sure the crops are well watered and we're caught up enough to give the crew a couple days off.  We don't think they will be able to get to work even if they want to.  They are closing several businesses in town including the bank!

Augie is to sneaky to spook the horses.  He sneaks in with Kevin's 2 steers and slowly moves them into the corral without every making a sound or a quick move.  He would be a great cattle dog...if we had cattle.  He's getting better at irrigating. Smile

***
How are the feet responding to that tough talk Doug?
So, I guess you're not selling 'watch party' tickets? lol!  Yeah, y'all are screwed.  I just did a basic search, then found maps of Oregon, then randomly picked a map, and.... http://www.astroadventures.net/2017/USA/images/Path-Through-Madras.jpg  "MADRAS" in big, red letters.  It was too big to fit here.

You'll have media trucks, if another town hasn't sent out messages to news outlets begging them to come to their town.  The good thing is that it's y'alls 15 minutes of fame, then they're gone forever.

I'd certainly see if the County can put up barricades on side roads, but they would have to be manned by somebody to keep out those that don't believe barricades apply to 'them.'  Maybe use a tractor(s) to block access.

-30-

As far as the feet, they seem to be doing well.  This morning, I went to 24 hour fitness and worked on the lower legs, even doing 15 minutes on a treadmill at a 6%-9% incline.  I actually sweat! 

One thing about Monday's 24 mile event, it was a 90% dress rehearsal for the race. Pull-on sleeves, drape hat, extra water, food, and charging battery for the Garmin.  The remaining 10% was road shoes instead of trail shoes, no ice bandana, and a sleeveless shirt instead of a short sleeved shirt. 

A full dress rehearsal will hopefully be at 7IL after Labor Day where I will do 2 laps of the 3 lap course.  If y'all think that's too much, please let me know.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:35 pm

On second thought, I don't know how difficult it is to get to Madras, east of the mountains.  I would think the location where it comes ashore would be a hot spot because it's the first spot.  Then I would think where the eclipse passes over the interstate would be another hot spot because it's easier to get to.  And finally, Madras. 

Good chance to do a bed & breakfast for the night before. Money 

-30-

This morning, the plan was to do a 6w/6r event.  It was 77 degrees and dead calm.  Puleeeez, could we have a breeze???  You may or may not remember that I've been wanting to do 2 consecutive running miles for a few weeks, now.  Right or wrong, I think running a few consecutively will ease my mind for when after the 105K, I'll have to start thinking 'marathon training.'

After the initial walking mile and running mile, I kept running after mile 2.  I was determined to run the whole mile 3 and I did.  2 miles running in the books.  I had the idea to end the 12 miles with 2 more running miles, but couldn't make it happen.  So instead of the 6w/6r, I executed 5w/7r.  Nifty! 

Monday is a long event.  Thinking of either 12/12 or 14/14.  Y'all have a good weekend.  Thanks for your input.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:14 am

@ounce wrote:On second thought, I don't know how difficult it is to get to Madras, east of the mountains.  I would think the location where it comes ashore would be a hot spot because it's the first spot.  Then I would think where the eclipse passes over the interstate would be another hot spot because it's easier to get to.  And finally, Madras. 

Good chance to do a bed & breakfast for the night before. Money 

-30-

This morning, the plan was to do a 6w/6r event.  It was 77 degrees and dead calm.  Puleeeez, could we have a breeze???  You may or may not remember that I've been wanting to do 2 consecutive running miles for a few weeks, now.  Right or wrong, I think running a few consecutively will ease my mind for when after the 105K, I'll have to start thinking 'marathon training.'

After the initial walking mile and running mile, I kept running after mile 2.  I was determined to run the whole mile 3 and I did.  2 miles running in the books.  I had the idea to end the 12 miles with 2 more running miles, but couldn't make it happen.  So instead of the 6w/6r, I executed 5w/7r.  Nifty! 

Monday is a long event.  Thinking of either 12/12 or 14/14.  Y'all have a good weekend.  Thanks for your input.
I guess it would suck if it's cloudy on dark day.  It'll be like seeing the smoke off a sizzle plate at the restaurant, but not being able to eat the meal.


-30-

I did some weights again, this morning, and the treadmill for about 15 minutes at a 7.5% elevation at 25 minute pace.  Then I went to the middle school and walked barefoot for 3 laps on the non-400 meter track (about a fifth of a mile lap).

Monday is calling for a 70% chance of rain...subject to change.  Just might postpone the walk/run, if necessary.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:50 pm

@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:On second thought, I don't know how difficult it is to get to Madras, east of the mountains.  I would think the location where it comes ashore would be a hot spot because it's the first spot.  Then I would think where the eclipse passes over the interstate would be another hot spot because it's easier to get to.  And finally, Madras. 

Good chance to do a bed & breakfast for the night before. Money 
I guess it would suck if it's cloudy on dark day.  It'll be like seeing the smoke off a sizzle plate at the restaurant, but not being able to eat the meal.


We're going to be inundated because NASA has chosen Madras as the best spot for viewing based on weather...best chance for a clear day.  We've got scientists coming from all over the world!  The two north/south highways merge in Madras and the major east/west highways all merge slightly south of Madras.  We are CENTRAL Oregon!

I'm not sure if they factored in smoke from wildfires.  We are usually smoked in a good portion of August.  Not sure that statistic showed up on their computer models. 

I just hope that the visitors are responsible and that everyone...residents and visitors alike...enjoy a safe eclipse.

***

Keep those miles coming.  Congrats on the two miles running before your walk break. Running
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6892
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:05 am

@nkrichards wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@ounce wrote:On second thought, I don't know how difficult it is to get to Madras, east of the mountains.  I would think the location where it comes ashore would be a hot spot because it's the first spot.  Then I would think where the eclipse passes over the interstate would be another hot spot because it's easier to get to.  And finally, Madras. 

Good chance to do a bed & breakfast for the night before. Money 
I guess it would suck if it's cloudy on dark day.  It'll be like seeing the smoke off a sizzle plate at the restaurant, but not being able to eat the meal.


We're going to be inundated because NASA has chosen Madras as the best spot for viewing based on weather...best chance for a clear day.  We've got scientists coming from all over the world!  The two north/south highways merge in Madras and the major east/west highways all merge slightly south of Madras.  We are CENTRAL Oregon!

I'm not sure if they factored in smoke from wildfires.  We are usually smoked in a good portion of August.  Not sure that statistic showed up on their computer models. 

I just hope that the visitors are responsible and that everyone...residents and visitors alike...enjoy a safe eclipse.

***

Keep those miles coming.  Congrats on the two miles running before your walk break. Running
Well, so you'll have a town full of geeks.  It could be worse!

-30-

The miles didn't come yesterday.  I could only get 3 miles running and 5 miles at a Mall pace.  The other 6 at a pedestrian pace for a total of 14 miles.  Don't know why other than possibly my perception of how ready the body is to do a long distance doesn't reconcile with how it really is.  It could mean my perception is only accurate for 8 miles (3 miles running + 5 miles at Mall pace), so the deeper recovery of the muscles might require more time.

Therefore, it could mean that with the weather and the distance, the body is taxed too much to do consecutive weeks of a long distance (>20 miles...I just picked that number).

Now isn't that special?
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Did some weights, today.  Also been re-writing the running schedule until the race on Sept 30 & Oct 1.  I'm going to reduce the w/r days to Monday and Thursday, with Monday being the long w/r.  Haven't quite figured out what Thursday will be as a percentage of the miles done on the prior Monday.

Further, the week after a long w/r will be a shorter w/r of somewhere around 50%-75% of the prior week's long w/r.

For the Tuesday after Labor Day (3 weeks prior), I have planned the longest w/r of the schedule at a 22/22 out at the 7IL Ranch, which is a 2 lap w/r of the 3 lap race.  I figure if I can do that, I'll be in good shape for the 65 miles.  For this longest w/r, I will do a full 3 week taper.  After the 22/22, I will again do a full 3 week taper for the race.

Since it's on record that I'm not able to do lots of 20+ w/r (10/10 or 12/12, etc) in a week or week over week, I feel I have to baby myself, while getting comfortable and confident that I can do 65 miles.  As much as everything is going to hurt about halfway or 2/3rds of the way done, if I can do it without blisters, then I can bull through the last X miles.

Luckily (y'all might laugh at this), it hasn't been really hot, so far this summer.  For example, the low was 75 degrees and today's high was 94.  That is exactly the seasonal average for today. 75-94.  Yeah, it's humid as hell, but we haven't been any hotter than 96 with August (hottest month) yet to go.

Tomorrow will be 8 or 9 or 10 w/r miles.  Monday will be 14/14 Reloaded or 14/14 v2.  Thanks.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 pm

This morning, I went out and did 8 total miles w/r.  It was 75 degrees with no breeze.

I've been selling myself on running more miles than walking on these short w/r's, so I can begin to think that training for the Houston marathon in January is not an impossible idea in 10-12 weeks time after the 105K. 

Last week, I ran 2 consecutive miles.  Could I do 3 miles?

Yes, I could.  I walked the first mile, then ran 3 miles together in splits between 13:40 and 13:55.  Then alternated the rest.  Part of me was concerned that I may have stretched too far, but I managed to alternate successfully.  So, it equates to 3w and 5r for the 8 total.  It was a very soggy run, too.  I was dripping more than any other run, this summer.  I squeezed out my headband about 4 times, including the last time which was in front of a car stopped at a stop light.  The driver probably was texting, at the time.

For the week, that gives me 14w and 11r or 25 miles.

Next Monday is the 2nd attempt at 14/14.  I'll be doing more than half of the event in the sun.  Today at noon, it was 91 degrees.  Heat index was around 98-101.  Anybody care to join me?  I'll be in full sun protection mode again.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:52 am

I think making a training plan is a very good idea.  I also think being flexible and revising that plan as needed is an absolute necessity.  You're doing that!  And you're continuing to progress.  Good job on the 3 miles of running!

Thanks for the invitation but I think I'll pass...stay safe out there in the heat.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6892
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:40 pm

@nkrichards wrote:I think making a training plan is a very good idea.  I also think being flexible and revising that plan as needed is an absolute necessity.  You're doing that!  And you're continuing to progress.  Good job on the 3 miles of running!

Thanks for the invitation but I think I'll pass...stay safe out there in the heat.
Yeah, thanks, Nancy.  I've never done one of these, but I do want to finish the durn race.  It's almost like being in a maze. 

Well, I'll lace 'em up while y'all are sleeping and hope to make a good 'run' at it, it the early morning.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm

I did 27 miles, today.  It started at 80 degrees at 3:45 a.m. and was around 92 degrees (with a heat index of 96) at 1 p.m.  Everything was going well to mile 21, then the bottoms of my feet were complaining from the wear.  No blisters, just the 'punishment.' 

It got to where I was going very, very, very slowly.  For the last 6 miles, every time I saw a water fountain or a bench or something to sit on in the shade, I sat.  It was grueling.

While I was making this foot march in the heat, I thought to myself that when I finish today, I will still have 38 miles to go in order to finish the 105K race.  I can't do that.  Granted, only 4.5 miles were not on concrete of the whole 27. But my feet won't be able to execute the plan.

I walked 21 miles and ran 8.  The weather today is quite possibly the race day weather.  The race starts at 8 and when you add the 9 hours to that from today, you get a time of 5 p.m.  So, yes, it really can be that way on race day.

I haven't entered in the race, so I'm not out any money except for another pair of trail shoes.

That's this morning's report.  Whew.  I guess I recuperate and begin training for Houston.  Thanks for stopping by and comments are welcome.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:10 am

Yesterday's first day of recovery went mostly well.  There were a few times when the quads were moaning "not againnnn" plus, I surprised them with a pop quiz on curb walking and the stabilizer muscles didn't show up.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:41 am

@ounce wrote:I did 27 miles, today.  It started at 80 degrees at 3:45 a.m. and was around 92 degrees (with a heat index of 96) at 1 p.m.  Everything was going well to mile 21, then the bottoms of my feet were complaining from the wear.  No blisters, just the 'punishment.' 

It got to where I was going very, very, very slowly.  For the last 6 miles, every time I saw a water fountain or a bench or something to sit on in the shade, I sat.  It was grueling.

While I was making this foot march in the heat, I thought to myself that when I finish today, I will still have 38 miles to go in order to finish the 105K race.  I can't do that YET.  Granted, only 4.5 miles were not on concrete of the whole 27. But my feet won't be able to execute the plan.

I walked 21 miles and ran 8.  The weather today is quite possibly the race day weather.  The race starts at 8 and when you add the 9 hours to that from today, you get a time of 5 p.m.  So, yes, it really can be that way on race day.

I haven't entered in the race, so I'm not out any money except for another pair of trail shoes.

That's this morning's report.  Whew.  I guess I recuperate and begin training for Houston.  Thanks for stopping by and comments are welcome.

Doug, apparently in your haste to post this you left out one word.  See emphasis above.  I know you've missed some training and don't feel you're ready for THIS event but that doesn't mean that you can't still reach your goal at some point in time.  It may be a good decision to give up on this event and transition into training for Houston.  Is there a 100K event that you can fit into your schedule that wouldn't be so hot?  It may require traveling but that may be the best option.  I hope that you're looking at this as rescheduling your goal...not giving up on it. You can do this.

Recover well.  Train well for Houston.  And let us know when you've picked an event/plan to reach your 100K goal.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6892
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:42 am

@nkrichards wrote:
@ounce wrote:I did 27 miles, today.  It started at 80 degrees at 3:45 a.m. and was around 92 degrees (with a heat index of 96) at 1 p.m.  Everything was going well to mile 21, then the bottoms of my feet were complaining from the wear.  No blisters, just the 'punishment.' 

It got to where I was going very, very, very slowly.  For the last 6 miles, every time I saw a water fountain or a bench or something to sit on in the shade, I sat.  It was grueling.

While I was making this foot march in the heat, I thought to myself that when I finish today, I will still have 38 miles to go in order to finish the 105K race.  I can't do that YET.  Granted, only 4.5 miles were not on concrete of the whole 27. But my feet won't be able to execute the plan.

I walked 21 miles and ran 8.  The weather today is quite possibly the race day weather.  The race starts at 8 and when you add the 9 hours to that from today, you get a time of 5 p.m.  So, yes, it really can be that way on race day.

I haven't entered in the race, so I'm not out any money except for another pair of trail shoes.

That's this morning's report.  Whew.  I guess I recuperate and begin training for Houston.  Thanks for stopping by and comments are welcome.

Doug, apparently in your haste to post this you left out one word.  See emphasis above.  I know you've missed some training and don't feel you're ready for THIS event but that doesn't mean that you can't still reach your goal at some point in time.  It may be a good decision to give up on this event and transition into training for Houston.  Is there a 100K event that you can fit into your schedule that wouldn't be so hot?  It may require traveling but that may be the best option.  I hope that you're looking at this as rescheduling your goal...not giving up on it. You can do this.

Recover well.  Train well for Houston.  And let us know when you've picked an event/plan to reach your 100K goal.
Well, Nancy, I'm not as optimistic as you, but thank you.  Another attempt would have to require its own training schedule or a schedule piggy backed with a 50 mile race, not a marathon and certainly the training starting in September or later.

More important than the weather in the execution is the structure of my feet.  From the book "Fixing Your Feet," 60+ year old feet lose the padding on the bottom of the feet, as one ages.  This happened to me.  Also, the feet widen.  This is just beginning to happen, but not in earnest. 

Sure, I could go to a Hoka shoe with its padding, but with my inner left ankle collapsing which wears the inner heel prematurely.  This would exacerbate the ankle and cause problems.  And I can't replace Hokas with 30 miles on them.

It could be that I need to train for a winter 50 mile and follow it with the 100K before March, but only on trails and not on concrete in order to save the feet.  That could only be started late in the summer and after obtaining my 10th Houston, which would be in 2 years.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  Mark B on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Sorry to read about the foot problems, Ounce. I know you've done a lot of research and experimentation, but have you paid a visit to a podiatrist? There may be something that can help at least mitigate your foot issues so you can get the distance extended out to the point you want. Worth a thought, anyway.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15697
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:39 am

It's all about choosing goals that you enjoy working towards.  If a longer distance is part of that great.  If you re-evaluate and decide that you would prefer a different goal that's great as well.  Take the time to prepare for Houston and see how you're feeling when you have time to consider a longer distance goal.  The important thing is that you're staying active and enjoying that activity.  Keep us posted!
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6892
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:55 pm

@Mark B wrote:Sorry to read about the foot problems, Ounce. I know you've done a lot of research and experimentation, but have you paid a visit to a podiatrist? There may be something that can help at least mitigate your foot issues so you can get the distance extended out to the point you want. Worth a thought, anyway.
To answer your question, no. 

There's no pain related to any structural injury of the feet.  I had no blisters, no missteps, no noticeable swelling of the feet, and, after finishing, both pairs of socks were D-R-Y.  I guess that's due to the warm surface and the warm air of the day.  I was in a good situation regarding hydration as I was still sweating. 

The pain was equal and bi-lateral across the bottom of the feet.  Also during the final death march, my cadence was 43 or 30% of my normal 'senior-mall' walking pace of 121.  The heat was playing a role in beating me down, but not so much that I was getting dehydrated.

For the 105K, I'd have to find me a camelbak that fits because my 21 ounce bottle wasn't lasting 2 miles and the aid stations are 3-4 miles apart.  Some of the water went on my arms or face.  And I took the S!Caps regularly.

Afterwards, I took my body temperature (under the tongue) about 20 minutes after being in the A/C and it was 97.5, which is my normal body temperature.  So, the heat I was feeling was only on the skin.  HR during the last couple of miles was between 110 and 120, taken by finger on the wrist and looking at the 'second hand' on the Garmin clock.
@nkrichards wrote:It's all about choosing goals that you enjoy working towards.  If a longer distance is part of that great.  If you re-evaluate and decide that you would prefer a different goal that's great as well.  Take the time to prepare for Houston and see how you're feeling when you have time to consider a longer distance goal.  The important thing is that you're staying active and enjoying that activity.  Keep us posted!
I just have to figure some things out.  This time last year, I was hurt, but the plan was to run Houston, then use that training to dovetail into the 50 mile race at Brazos Bend in April.  That might could be the 2018 plan, if I think that I can finish in 15 hours. I would HAVE to be much faster, but I certainly don't plan on walk/run for Houston.

Thanks, y'all!

-30-

This morning, I ran 4 miles.  Much like the heat Mark will be enjoying as the week goes as a weird occurrence, Houston had a weak cool front pass through yesterday, which was nothing more than drier air moping its way through the area.  As a result, it was 75 degrees with a dewpoint of 65 degrees and it was noticeable.  Our high today of 94 is supposed to feel 94, as opposed to last weekend when it was 98 with a heat index of 108.  Today is supposed to be the warmest day...unlike Mark.

The splits were between 13:31 and 13:51.  I wanted 3 miles, but thought that after a week off, could I run 4?  Would my feet complain? Would the rest of the body wonder why I'm stopping so soon?  Will Mark purchase another A/C for this week?  Guess so.  No.  Hell, no!  Hell!

I haven't whipped up a schedule for Houston, yet, but I will.

Right now, the bottoms of my feet are feeling inconvenienced, but they don't hurt.

Last Monday afternoon, after resting about 30 minutes, I got into a very warm water Epsom salt tub soaking.  I had done this a couple of weeks prior.  For as much as an ice cold post-run bath is to help recovery per articles, the very warm water Epsom salt bath is very nice, very symptom free post-run thing for me.  Even my tuckered out feet lost all discomfort, last Monday.

I can't say, right now, if the past 3-1/2 months of walk/run has been a benefit to my body or not.  I'm not any lighter, which is disappointing.  There were times when I couldn't run two miles back to back.  What I've learned about feet will help me somehow with the running.  I am healthy with just last week's feet as my only niggle.  And I'm really happy about becoming an exclusively night runner again.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Yesterday afternoon, I saw the dewpoint drop to 60 degrees.  Pretty rare.  Right now, it's at 70 degrees, so better than usual, but still what we call down here 'the sultry 70's.'  We are to be in a rainy period for the rest of the week, so running might be interesting.  This does mean that our temps will be below normal through Sunday.

August 1 also starts the 6 week period of the meat of the Houston hurricane season through September 11.  Nuttin' out there yet.  I'm working on eating through the frozen foods in the next few weeks, so nothing has to be cooked prior to a storm arriving.  We're kinda overdue (our last hurricane was Ike in September 2008 and was kinda bad. My power was out for 2 weeks).

I'll run in the morning.

avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am

This morning, the return of a normal August (or July, for that matter) morning in Houston.  77 degrees with a dewpoint of 76 and no breeze!  I thought about doing 5, but the humidity made it 4.

I thought about stopping at the mile 3 turnaround point, but kept going because I couldn't stop for a reason that would be there for another 6 weeks.  With sweat cleaning out my pores, I soldiered on.

The last mile was a 13:16, although I can't tell you what was making me run faster.  The other miles were 13:36 to 13:54.

There was one niggle that cranked up just before starting.  Right medial foot, between the ankle bone and the Achilles.  It was just some various nerve mis-firings, as if the body was saying, "Whoops, let me plug in these 3 nerve endings and you'll be good to go.  I wish you'd stop because it's tough to do this when you're running.  Okay.  Got it.  Enjoy."

If the rain doesn't stop me on Friday, I'll try to run the Devil's Loop (6.66 miles) to Memorial Park and back.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:37 am

Nice to see you getting is some miles as you work your way back into training for Houston.

Hope the hurricane season isn't to severe...stay safe.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6892
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:56 am

@nkrichards wrote:Nice to see you getting is some miles as you work your way back into training for Houston.

Hope the hurricane season isn't to severe...stay safe.
Yeah, there was a big difference between the 4 mile run on 65 degree dewpoint and 4 miles at 75.  Now the August slog for miles with no particular concern with pace.

As far as hurricanes, we watch what comes off the west coast of Africa, this time of year, and the first and second batch of 'spaghetti' forecast models to see if the track (which is still 10-14 days away from landing) forecasts it north of Cuba or south of Cuba.  Heading north of Cuba puts it mostly as non-Houston threatening, south makes it more interesting.

-30-

To quickly catch up, on Thursday, I went and lifted weights.  I'm paying more attention to this, rather than just going through the motions.

Friday, I wasn't able to clock a mile because of tightness in my abductor muscles that wasn't going away.  It ran the length of the abductors, so it was distracting and worth shutting down. 

I may just carryover the long run day from the 105K training to Mondays, at least through September.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:32 am

@ounce wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:Nice to see you getting is some miles as you work your way back into training for Houston.

Hope the hurricane season isn't to severe...stay safe.
Yeah, there was a big difference between the 4 mile run on 65 degree dewpoint and 4 miles at 75.  Now the August slog for miles with no particular concern with pace.

As far as hurricanes, we watch what comes off the west coast of Africa, this time of year, and the first and second batch of 'spaghetti' forecast models to see if the track (which is still 10-14 days away from landing) forecasts it north of Cuba or south of Cuba.  Heading north of Cuba puts it mostly as non-Houston threatening, south makes it more interesting.

-30-

To quickly catch up, on Thursday, I went and lifted weights.  I'm paying more attention to this, rather than just going through the motions.

Friday, I wasn't able to clock a mile because of tightness in my abductor muscles that wasn't going away.  It ran the length of the abductors, so it was distracting and worth shutting down. 

I may just carryover the long run day from the 105K training to Mondays, at least through September.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the long range forecast...just don't have time.  I would be interested to know where this heat wave came from and how long it's going to last.  A few days is manageable but this is ridiculous.  It does look like it's going to cool slightly...but I'm not sure if/when we'll get enough dew to bale!  I don't really want your humidity but a bit of dew would be helpful.

I've never done much weight lifting...I mainly do things that use body weight although I do use a few light weights in the core/strength routine that Cheri put together for me in 2013.  I do know that if I haven't done it for a few weeks I'm pretty sore the first time I dive back in...

Take care...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6892
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 am

@nkrichards wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:Nice to see you getting is some miles as you work your way back into training for Houston.

Hope the hurricane season isn't to severe...stay safe.
Yeah, there was a big difference between the 4 mile run on 65 degree dewpoint and 4 miles at 75.  Now the August slog for miles with no particular concern with pace.

As far as hurricanes, we watch what comes off the west coast of Africa, this time of year, and the first and second batch of 'spaghetti' forecast models to see if the track (which is still 10-14 days away from landing) forecasts it north of Cuba or south of Cuba.  Heading north of Cuba puts it mostly as non-Houston threatening, south makes it more interesting.

-30-

To quickly catch up, on Thursday, I went and lifted weights.  I'm paying more attention to this, rather than just going through the motions.

Friday, I wasn't able to clock a mile because of tightness in my abductor muscles that wasn't going away.  It ran the length of the abductors, so it was distracting and worth shutting down. 

I may just carryover the long run day from the 105K training to Mondays, at least through September.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the long range forecast...just don't have time.  I would be interested to know where this heat wave came from and how long it's going to last.  A few days is manageable but this is ridiculous.  It does look like it's going to cool slightly...but I'm not sure if/when we'll get enough dew to bale!  I don't really want your humidity but a bit of dew would be helpful.

I've never done much weight lifting...I mainly do things that use body weight although I do use a few light weights in the core/strength routine that Cheri put together for me in 2013.  I do know that if I haven't done it for a few weeks I'm pretty sore the first time I dive back in...

Take care...
I completely agree that long range forecasts are usually worthless.  Most weather forecasts are only good for 2-3 days prior.  Sometimes, it wasn't even good for an hour before. 

Hurricane spaghetti models can give a trend, unless those individual computer programs say it's going to go in 15 different directions for the 15 different computer programs.  Hurricanes follow the path of least resistance.  At some point, all hurricanes turn north, then northeast because of the weather going west to east.

I'm looking for 'the turn' and where it might occur.

Thanks, Nancy.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4792
Points : 13196
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  Mark B on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:08 pm

We managed to survive on *just* one a/c unit downstairs this time, Ounce, even though it hit 102° on one day and 105° the next. It eventually got a little toasty for sleeping upstairs, but we have ceiling fans, which help a lot. Still, we didn't get the greatest sleep. Things cooled down a little over the weekend (it's 78° right now with a forecast high of 90 - the a/c isn't even on right now), but it's supposed be be over 90° on this side of the mountains for most of the week. Looks like it'll be 5-8° hotter -- even cracking 100 a couple of days -- on Nancy's side.

The reason I mentioned a podiatrist was because of the chance that there's something structural in your feet that's causing the pain issues -- something that might be aided by an orthotic, perhaps. I'm a big fan of going au naturel, but if something like an orthotic would help, it'd be worth it.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15697
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 41 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum