365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes, it was an awesome experience once again.  I was stationed across from the Coliseum (which I had never seen) in front of the Science Ctr just past what was the 5, 11, 17, and 23 mile marks.  

I was also able to jog in between that spot and the corner (which was past 24) to catch the runners there as well.  I, too, did not realize how much Shalane was struggling as she looked ok there and Desi seemed far behind - but as Desi does, she stays steady and picks them off at the end.

Meb is a small guy and he was hard to pick out of the pack when they first went by, but the 2nd time that pack had dwindled down and in the end it was just Rupp, Meb, Pennel with Ward chasing by us.  You could tell that Pennel was hurting, but Rupp, Meb, and Ward looked good and I was not surprised that Ward finished in the 3rd spot.  One of the coolest things was seeing Rupp put down the hammer on that same corner and take off.  I kind of thought that Meb just let him by watching in person, but I'm sure when I watch the taped broadcast the announcers will say different.  I'm sure Meb wanted to "win" as he never goes in a race to lose, but hey, he was going to be on the team, so why not just stay the course.  It sure will be interesting if Rupp does declare and run the double - but I'd rather see what he can do in the marathon against the "Olympic" best (and I say "Olympic" best rather than the "world" best as each country is limited to sending 3 runners and with the depth of the Kenyans and Ethiopians - it isn't always the world record holder that goes as it often depends on how he/she is running right then - this has happened in the past).

All in all, it was awesome experience and I'd do it again in an instant.

As for the LA marathon, I took at Uber from Santa Monica to the parking lot of a Vons supermarket right next to the LA Children's Hospital which was just past mile 8 and where Sunset and Hollywood Blvds meet.  I jogged back to the 8 mile water stop - watched the fast runners go by - grabbed some water and Gatorade and jumped in right with the 4 hr pace group.  I basically ran with them to the end.  A bit faster than I might have run a long run (9:11 overall pace), but felt (and feel fine today) fine even with the warmer temps for me (it was not as warm as I expected).  I did have a couple of calf twinges in the last two miles which I do attribute to the heat, as I was fine as soon as I downed a bit more water, Gatorade, and my protein shake after I finished.  The funniest issue was the "medal".  I kept telling the volunteers that I didn't want one and this older women chased after me and kept insisting that I paid for it etc.  So I took it anyway.  It is pretty cool, but it just went in my box for www.Medals4Mettle.com.  The course is pretty nice although a bit hillier than I realized, but nothing major at all.  Lots of extra water stops and hoses/misters on the course and I think for the most part the runners dealt pretty well with the warmer than normal temps (even for CA).
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4804
Points : 11432
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  nkrichards on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:20 pm

We didn't even have cell service on our trip over the weekend...no way to get any info on the race.
Wish I'd been able to watch it.  On the bright side Oregon was very well represented. Smile

And Michele...I'm glad you coped with the heat better than Shalane.  Glad you enjoyed helping with the race and your long run.

I believe Max King placed 12th.  Not sure if his time was what he wanted but just knowing someone in the race is kind of cool.  He does lots of group runs in Bend...all of which are way to fast for me to participate in.  He also does some running form clinics that are suitable for slower and beginner runners.  He's a pretty neat guy who gives a lot to the local running community.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2119
Points : 7329
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 60
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  Mark B on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:17 pm

That sounds like a great experience. I wonder how the athletes liked the loop course. It sure was a benefit for spectators.

Rupp looked fresh as a daisy when he crossed the finish line. I think Salazar has been holding him back, focusing on the 10,000, until he felt he was ready to be successful at the marathon distance. I think some 10K racers make the jump too soon and never *quite* get there. I hope he does well in Rio. Being able to double up would be amazing, but only if he's able to pull it off. So it's a gamble.

Good job on your tempo-long run. I could understand the awkwardness with the medal at the end. I could imagine stepping off the course earlier and avoiding that, but then you'd miss out of the post-race snacks... Good solution donating the medal.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7396
Points : 16078
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:38 pm

@Mark B wrote:That sounds like a great experience. I wonder how the athletes liked the loop course. It sure was a benefit for spectators.

Rupp looked fresh as a daisy when he crossed the finish line. I think Salazar has been holding him back, focusing on the 10,000, until he felt he was ready to be successful at the marathon distance. I think some 10K racers make the jump too soon and never *quite* get there. I hope he does well in Rio. Being able to double up would be amazing, but only if he's able to pull it off. So it's a gamble.

Good job on your tempo-long run. I could understand the awkwardness with the medal at the end. I could imagine stepping off the course earlier and avoiding that, but then you'd miss out of the post-race snacks...  Good solution donating the medal.
 Part of the reason that I went through the finish was to get to my hotel.  Had I jumped out earlier, I would have had to walk/run/jog about 1/2 mile out of my way and then back.  Crossing the line meant that I could exit and go right up the front steps - lol.  I have told you that I'm inherently lazy in the past, right?
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4804
Points : 11432
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  Mark B on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:13 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Mark B wrote:That sounds like a great experience. I wonder how the athletes liked the loop course. It sure was a benefit for spectators.

Rupp looked fresh as a daisy when he crossed the finish line. I think Salazar has been holding him back, focusing on the 10,000, until he felt he was ready to be successful at the marathon distance. I think some 10K racers make the jump too soon and never *quite* get there. I hope he does well in Rio. Being able to double up would be amazing, but only if he's able to pull it off. So it's a gamble.

Good job on your tempo-long run. I could understand the awkwardness with the medal at the end. I could imagine stepping off the course earlier and avoiding that, but then you'd miss out of the post-race snacks...  Good solution donating the medal.
 Part of the reason that I went through the finish was to get to my hotel.  Had I jumped out earlier, I would have had to walk/run/jog about 1/2 mile out of my way and then back.  Crossing the line meant that I could exit and go right up the front steps - lol.  I have told you that I'm inherently lazy in the past, right?

Oh yeah. I've never met anybody as lazy as a marathon runner. geek

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7396
Points : 16078
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Mom - did you see any of the drama that seems to be overshadowing the race?  Between Meb's comments about Rupp seemingly intentionally clipping him and their subsequent "discussion" and Kara's post-race interview, it seems like there's a lot of dissent among the ranks.
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3142
Points : 7717
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 31
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:15 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:Mom - did you see any of the drama that seems to be overshadowing the race?  Between Meb's comments about Rupp seemingly intentionally clipping him and their subsequent "discussion" and Kara's post-race interview, it seems like there's a lot of dissent among the ranks.

No we didn't witness it as it.  Rupp was on Meb's heels when passed at mile 23+, but by the time we saw them again (24+) Rupp had made his break.  As for Kara' outburst, all that took place at the start/finish area which was downtown and we were at USC by the Coliseum.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4804
Points : 11432
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  ounce on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:41 pm

@Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Mark B wrote:That sounds like a great experience. I wonder how the athletes liked the loop course. It sure was a benefit for spectators.

Rupp looked fresh as a daisy when he crossed the finish line. I think Salazar has been holding him back, focusing on the 10,000, until he felt he was ready to be successful at the marathon distance. I think some 10K racers make the jump too soon and never *quite* get there. I hope he does well in Rio. Being able to double up would be amazing, but only if he's able to pull it off. So it's a gamble.

Good job on your tempo-long run. I could understand the awkwardness with the medal at the end. I could imagine stepping off the course earlier and avoiding that, but then you'd miss out of the post-race snacks...  Good solution donating the medal.
 Part of the reason that I went through the finish was to get to my hotel.  Had I jumped out earlier, I would have had to walk/run/jog about 1/2 mile out of my way and then back.  Crossing the line meant that I could exit and go right up the front steps - lol.  I have told you that I'm inherently lazy in the past, right?

Oh yeah. I've never met anybody as lazy as a marathon runner. geek
I resemble that remark.  Jiminy Cricket, I guess I'm going to have to check all the threads to make sure I can put Sad Sad my own Sad Sad  disparaging remarks Sad Sad  when it's Sad Sad  happening. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4885
Points : 13521
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum