365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Is Boston in the cards?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Is Boston in the cards?

Post  Tim C on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks Nancy-

My surgeon prescribed another round of Orthovisc injections and after many, many calls to the pharmacy and insurance it was approved.  $1600 cost and all I have to pay is $60...  woohoo.  I go in tomorrow afternoon for the first of 3 injections.  This is a big deal because I got a lot of relief last summer when I had these and the timing is perfect - 3 injections 2 weeks apart puts the last one about a month before Boston so it should help for both training and the race.

I just looked back at my training log 2 months out from CIM and am blown away at the miles and paces I was running then compared to now.  No wonder that race went so well!  I know I shouldn't be disappointed but I sure wish I would have been able to train as hard for this race.  Still, the fact that I can run at all is pretty damn sweet right now.  

Looking forward to seeing you in your home town Michele.  I would love to be able to run that sub 3:50 with you but I'll be fortunate to be 30 minutes behind you...
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:31 am

Tim C wrote:Thanks Nancy-

My surgeon prescribed another round of Orthovisc injections and after many, many calls to the pharmacy and insurance it was approved.  $1600 cost and all I have to pay is $60...  woohoo.  I go in tomorrow afternoon for the first of 3 injections.  This is a big deal because I got a lot of relief last summer when I had these and the timing is perfect - 3 injections 2 weeks apart puts the last one about a month before Boston so it should help for both training and the race.

I just looked back at my training log 2 months out from CIM and am blown away at the miles and paces I was running then compared to now.  No wonder that race went so well!  I know I shouldn't be disappointed but I sure wish I would have been able to train as hard for this race.  Still, the fact that I can run at all is pretty damn sweet right now.  

Looking forward to seeing you in your home town Michele.  I would love to be able to run that sub 3:50 with you but I'll be fortunate to be 30 minutes behind you...

Great news on the injections! I hope that'll give you what you need to make it to the starting line (and the finish line) intact.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Hope they help Tim.  And I think you are probably in a corral ahead of me - so you will indeed finish first - lol.  I hope I can get the 3:50.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:44 pm

I was nervous all day yesterday as I had 16 miles on tap today, first time going that far since before CIM.  I was seriously unsure if I could manage it but the run went great.  Ran it easy in about 2:45 and chose a route with some rolling hills - almost 400' of elevation gain for the run.  This was a confidence builder as the legs actually felt strong the last couple of miles so I picked up the pace.  Amazing what the human body can do.  A couple of short months ago I could hardly manage running 2 or 3 miles without stopping to rest.  Today - 1 stop to shed my long sleeve jersey and a couple of short breaks at stop lights but I felt good the entire way and never felt like I needed to stop and rest.

51 days and counting...
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Tim C wrote:I was nervous all day yesterday as I had 16 miles on tap today, first time going that far since before CIM.  I was seriously unsure if I could manage it but the run went great.  Ran it easy in about 2:45 and chose a route with some rolling hills - almost 400' of elevation gain for the run.  This was a confidence builder as the legs actually felt strong the last couple of miles so I picked up the pace.  Amazing what the human body can do.  A couple of short months ago I could hardly manage running 2 or 3 miles without stopping to rest.  Today - 1 stop to shed my long sleeve jersey and a couple of short breaks at stop lights but I felt good the entire way and never felt like I needed to stop and rest.

51 days and counting...

+1  Great news Tim.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:41 am

nkrichards wrote:
Tim C wrote:I was nervous all day yesterday as I had 16 miles on tap today, first time going that far since before CIM.  I was seriously unsure if I could manage it but the run went great.  Ran it easy in about 2:45 and chose a route with some rolling hills - almost 400' of elevation gain for the run.  This was a confidence builder as the legs actually felt strong the last couple of miles so I picked up the pace.  Amazing what the human body can do.  A couple of short months ago I could hardly manage running 2 or 3 miles without stopping to rest.  Today - 1 stop to shed my long sleeve jersey and a couple of short breaks at stop lights but I felt good the entire way and never felt like I needed to stop and rest.

51 days and counting...

+1  Great news Tim.

+2

Wooot!! cheers cheers cheers

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:44 pm

+3!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:34 pm

So as good as my 16 miler went last Saturday, things have taken a terrible turn for the worse.  Last Sunday I went out for an easy 6 miles or so but my calf tightened up, not down low where it was a couple of months back but right in the center of the calf and even a little higher.  Not wanting to risk injury I walked the 2 miles home.

Monday is an off day for me and I was able to get in to see the ART guy for a little preventative maintenance.  Woke up Tuesday and it was bad after maybe 1/2 mile so I walked home and took Wednesday off.  Tried to run yesterday and same result so I went back to see him again yesterday afternoon.  I don't normally run on Fridays but he suggested doing 2-3 miles to see how it felt.  Barely made it a block this time.

I don't know if I knocked something out of whack on my long run last Saturday.  It's possible but the knee actually felt fine the entire way.  I've been religious about stretching and rolling to no avail.  At my wife's suggestion, I'm going to see the guy she gets massages from tonight and see if he can work something out.

Instead of a planned 36-38 mile week I have a big goose egg so far....

This is really getting frustrating....
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:24 pm

10 days without running due to the calf.  Went out this morning to see what would happen and it felt really good.... for about 1/4 mile and then started tightening up again.  Walked a bit, stretched, tried to run a couple of times with no luck.  Started to walk home feeling sorry for myself and trying to come to grips with it being likely that running Boston just isn't going to happen.  Got about 2 blocks from home and decided to try one more time and this time I was going to run thru it if it hurt, figuring I can't do any more damage and if it completely spasms up so be it.

It was tight but did not cramp up so I kept going and was actually able to run virtually pain free for 3 easy miles, although really slow (about 10:45 pace).

More stretching today and we'll see what tomorrow brings...
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Try some moist heat as well as rolling and massage.  All of this should help get the blood flowing and promote healing.  Keep up the spirits as you can walk 26 miles you know.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Keep your chin up Tim.  I hope that you can enjoy the trip and the atmosphere even if you can't run the race that you want to.  This should be a well deserved celebration of your BQ run at CIM...enjoy it no matter what.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Damn time change!  Part of me loves it but since I do my runs at 5 or 5:30am during the week I'm back to starting AND finishing in the dark again....

And I was getting so used to seeing the sky start to light up part way thru my runs.  Today was just dark and foggy.  Sure plays tricks on your eyes sometimes...
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Sure does - but you can have our weather and be back to winter just like that. Thanking everything and everyone that I am in Atlanta rather than Cleveland this week however.

And although Boston might not be what you wanted, you earned it - so just have fun.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:32 am

You'll get that light in the morning back soon enough, but yeah... there's something about watching the sun come up on a run, isn't there?

Keep taking care of yourself and training conservatively. You earned your trip to the starting line, you need to make sure you make it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Hope they help Tim.  And I think you are probably in a corral ahead of me - so you will indeed finish first - lol.  I hope I can get the 3:50.

Nope, you are ahead of me.  Both wave 3 but you are corral 4 and I'm in 7.  I have no idea what the time difference is between the two but it looks to be about 2500 runners.  So I will be way behind...

I have to admit though, it's a little surreal to go on the website and see my name.  As slow as I will be running, I'll still be there and it is somewhat hard to fathom...
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Knocked out my last longish run before Boston with todays 16.6 miler.  I'm confident I'll be able to run the race but am seriously undertrained as I have not even gotten a sniff of a 40 mile week.  Every time I try to run multiple days in a row I have a setback so I've settled on running Tues / Thurs / Sat / Sun and whatever happens happens.

Funny story, I have a great trail / path that runs thru our town.  I do many of my runs here as I can run on dirt most of the way and as often as I run it I'm still amazed when I see someone I've never seen before.  Today I'm almost done with my 16 miles and I see a woman coming towards me and as she gets closer I can see she has a Boston shirt on.  I stop and ask her if she is running Boston and indeed she is, in fact she said this would be her 5th in a row.  We chat for a few minutes, introduce ourselves and go on to finish our runs.  I get home and look her up and we are in the same wave & corral!  What are the odds?  I have never seen her that I recall and our bib numbers are about 100 from each other - small world sometimes.

22 days left...
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Small world, Tim.  I'll probably start back in your corral myself.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Got to Boston last night and went out for an easy 6 miles on the James river this morning.   Got passed by a group of 8 or 9 Kenyans. Holy cow!  Way impressive. If I wasn't blown away by all of the BAA jackets yesterday and today that really did it....
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Excited that you made it through the training for this race, but not surprised.

Have a great day Monday. You've earned it!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 am

Good luck, Tim!  Enjoy.  Enjoy.  Enjoy.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 am

It's a totally different...and awesome...experience isn't it Tim?

Hope you enjoy the pre-race experience as much as I did...and enjoy the race finish as well.  Take the time to soak it all in.  That's more important than time.

Have fun and run safe.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:25 am

nkrichards wrote:It's a totally different...and awesome...experience isn't it Tim?

Hope you enjoy the pre-race experience as much as I did...and enjoy the race finish as well.  Take the time to soak it all in.  That's more important than time.

Have fun and run safe.

Thanks Nancy. Yes, just enjoying the experience. The expo was cool and yes, I spent too much on gear but what the hell. Totally ok with whatever time I get. Probably something in the 4:15-4:30 range. Took some pictures of the finish line yesterday and that is going to be a welcome sight whatever the time. 

Last run in the books this morning. Lots of fun to wear a Boston jersey for the first time. Tons of runners out today on a gorgeous morning. Supposed to be 80 tomorrow but back in the mid 60's Monday. It is what it is. 

Catching a game at Fenway this afternoon. Should be fun.
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:40 am

Enjoy the afternoon at Fenway, Tim.  And its the Charles river (lol) - I think the James river is in Virginia.  Anyway, tomorrow is what it is and we can only do our best on a given day.  Have a fun race!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:41 am

Mom - c'mon, to us Californians, everything on the east coast is the same.  Also, the poor guy is tapering  bounce

Tim - good luck tomorrow!  Represent the OC well.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Enjoy the afternoon at Fenway, Tim.  And its the Charles river (lol) - I think the James river is in Virginia.  Anyway, tomorrow is what it is and we can only do our best on a given day.  Have a fun race!

I have no idea why I want to call it the James. My wife has corrected me a couple of times already. lol. Fenway was awesome. 

Ready for tomorrow!  Am trying to stay calm but am way excited...
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top