365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 7 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Walk: 3 miles

Weather: Partly sunny (!) and 58°(!)

After 9 days in a row of clouds and rain, the sun came out today. Hurrah!

I headed out at lunch and basked in the sun (before it went behind a #$@! cloud) and generally enjoyed a walk in pleasant weather. Hoping we get more of this soon, though I know it's supposed to start raining again tomorrow.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Low HR Run: 5 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, mild and muggy. 52°-54°, dewpoint 51° Gear: Topos, shorts, T, jacket, hat (doffed)

We swapped our long run and shorter run back to short-long this weekend after a big band of rain soaked us all morning long. The weather is supposed to be better tomorrow. We delayed our 5-mile run until early afternoon, after the rain had moved out, and headed out into the country.

It was a nice run. We kept a steady pace throughout, and my HR stayed well below my target the whole time. The only unexpected twist was how muggy it felt toward the end. Got a little swampy myself! Wink

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 124

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:30 pm

I took a closer look at your last few runs and your impressive heart rates....you aren't holding out on us and running in Nike's Zoom Vaporfly Elite shoes are you?  They claim to save 4% of your energy at a given speed which would help you achieve those low heart rates.

All kidding aside...they had an interesting article in the paper today about the technology incorporated into the shoes and whether or not it is an unfair advantage.  It will be an interesting story to follow.

I know you can't tell us anything about the testing you do for Nike but we promise not to tell anyone else...and I'm sure that they'd never find the information buried in your blog. Shocked
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:26 pm

nkrichards wrote:I took a closer look at your last few runs and your impressive heart rates....you aren't holding out on us and running in Nike's Zoom Vaporfly Elite shoes are you?  They claim to save 4% of your energy at a given speed which would help you achieve those low heart rates.

All kidding aside...they had an interesting article in the paper today about the technology incorporated into the shoes and whether or not it is an unfair advantage.  It will be an interesting story to follow.

I know you can't tell us anything about the testing you do for Nike but we promise not to tell anyone else...and I'm sure that they'd never find the information buried in your blog. Shocked

Oh, you'd be surprised at Uncle Phil's rea--

[door bursts open, sound of rushing feet on surprisingly fast and quiet shoes, large gunnysack deployed, muffled shouts of protest, door closes]

What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Trail Run: About 10 miles

Weather: Amazing! Partly cloudy, mild, not muggy. 61°-63° Gear: Lone peaks, shorts, T. Fuel: Nuun in handheld, 1 S-caps and 1/2 larabar every hour

This was supposed to be a 13-miler, but we cut it short today due to complications of this weekend. We made a quick drive to Tacoma last night to visit my brother in the hospital after he'd had a couple of micro-strokes and they discovered an 80% blockage of his carotid artery. He appreciated the visit, and we enjoyed visiting, but it meant we got home late last night and with the time change ended up not heading out until about 2 o'clock. The goal was to do 7 laps through the park. We managed 5 before deciding we'd had enough for now and this should be a stepback week. We did 12 last week. It's probably for the best. The goal is to make it to the starting line healthy and not totally burned out.

It's too bad, in a way, since today was such a pretty day. Temperatures in the low 60s, and it didn't feel muggy much, which means I didn't soak my shorts with sweat. (The struggle against chafing is real.) We just didn't have enough in us to crank out two more laps, and it was already 5 o'clock by then, so... the plan gets another modification. I think I'm going to be abandoning all pretense and just doing a stepback every other week at this point. We're close enough to our goal to make our 15-miler a success. No need to be overambitious.

Walked first and lat 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 122

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:41 pm

nkrichards wrote:I took a closer look at your last few runs and your impressive heart rates....you aren't holding out on us and running in Nike's Zoom Vaporfly Elite shoes are you?  They claim to save 4% of your energy at a given speed which would help you achieve those low heart rates.

Oh, as to the heart rates (they let me go after I pointed out that I signed the nondisclosure forms), I think that has a lot to do with the runs I do with Alita. I'm doing a LOT of runs in what would qualify as the lower end of my low HR training range, and I think that's paying the dividends I expected.

Also, I will say this about Nike. I test more of the consumer/amateur athlete line. They let the college track teams test the higher-end stuff, as is appropriate.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:58 am

Medium Run: 4.28 miles

Weather: Light rain, 51° Gear: Topos, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, reflector vest, etc.

Out in the dark for a Monday run. I didn't feel up to an uptempo effort like last week, but I did end up running a little faster, anyway.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 133

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 pm

I hope your brother recovers quickly. I'm hoping the time change helps every one with the running but I realize it's mostly evening runners that will benefit .
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 am

Mark B wrote:

Also, I will say this about Nike. I test more of the consumer/amateur athlete line. They let the college track teams test the higher-end stuff, as is appropriate.

You are way to modest...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am

Remind me of the date of your run at Smith Rock...I just realized that I think I'll be on my way to Alaska with my Mom in mid-May and may miss seeing you! Crying or Very sad
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am

nkrichards wrote:Remind me of the date of your run at Smith Rock...I just realized that I think I'll be on my way to Alaska with my Mom in mid-May and may miss seeing you! Crying or Very sad

It's the weekend of May 13.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Remind me of the date of your run at Smith Rock...I just realized that I think I'll be on my way to Alaska with my Mom in mid-May and may miss seeing you! Crying or Very sad

Darn it!  We fly out early that morning.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:28 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Darn it!  We fly out early that morning.

Drat!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Julie wrote:I hope  your brother  recovers quickly. I'm  hoping  the time change  helps  every  one  with  the running  but I  realize  it's mostly  evening runners  that will benefit .

Thanks! He had the procedure (angioplasty, stenting) yesterday, and the doctor said it went well.

The time change is annoying when it first happens, but the hassles usually fade out over a short time. I am looking forward to the possibility of running in the evening, though. That can be a nice time to get out there.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 am

Barefoot Run: 4 miles on the treadmill

Weather: Pissing down rain outside, but warm. 70° inside and dry. Gear: Bare feet, shorts.

At least the rain has warmed up.. but there's so much of it! I reluctantly opted to do my barefoot run inside today, since oversaturated feet can lead to maceration of the soles of the feet and annoying blisters. Not that I was all that much more dry after the end of my treadmill run, but at least the feet were intact.

The run went pretty well. I did a slo-mo video of my landing last week and tried to see if I could make some minor form adjustments today. I think I managed to do that, though it's hard to tell at 180 steps per minute. I did a new video of my lift-off from the rear, but I haven't looked at it yet. I need to know if I'm pushing off (bad) or lifting off (good).

I kept the treadmill at an 11:19 pace, which seems about right. My HR stayed low throughout the run, edging above my target only in the last mile.

Average HR for entire run: 136

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:01 am

Treadhill workout: 3 miles @ 12% (1,900 feet)

Indoors, 70° Gear:Topos, shorts.

Hill workout on the treadmill again. My steady progress of lower heart rates didn't continue this morning, but it was still pretty good, so I shouldn't get greedy.

Average HR for entire workout: 139

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Low HR Run: 4 miles

Weather: Showery, cool. 47ish. Gear: Topos, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves.

Weird day. We were going to go out early, but it was pissing down rain. So we waited until late morning, when I had to do some emergency journalism that took us to lunchtime. Then we waited for it to stop raining... and waited... and waited... (it was supposed to stop, btw) and finally gave up and went anyway. And found the route we wanted to take along the Salmon Creek Greenway was flooded. Then we stopped to help a guy with a dead car on the way to an alternate route. Then went back home and decided to just head out and see what happened. We got rained on a good deal, and we cut the distance from 6 to 4 miles. I felt discombobulated to start with. It got better, but not completely. It was just one of those days.

Average HR for entire run: 122

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Trail Run: 15.3 miles (GPS corrected. Garmin had said only 14!)

Weather: Clear, beautiful. 34° to about 50° Gear: Lone Peaks, shorts, pants (shed), T, lightweight pullover, jacket (shed), gloves (shed), hat. Fuel: nuun in handheld. 2 larabars, S caps every hour or so...

We've had bad luck on weekend runs lately, and today's was shaping up to be a rough one, too, with Alita waking up with GI issues. We changed our strategy and parked at the side of our local woods where there's a porta potty, and I came up with a new route on the fly that would allow us to shortcut our way back to relief. It also gave us a base where we could refill our bottles and such. (Turns out that was a great idea.)

There were a few rough patches, but those settled out over time and we kept at it in glorious sunny (if cool) weather for nearly five hours of running. My Garmin told me we just hit our target -- 14 miles -- but Alita's iPhone said it was much farther. When I GPS corrected the run, it added 1.3 miles to the distance! Woot!

The weather, food, and base camp -- as well as an earlier start -- made this the sort of run I was hoping we could do. And we just matched the distance of our first goal race. And since none of that park is flat, we got a ton of climbing and descent in... from a minimum estimate of 1,269 feet (Strava), to 3,000 and change (RunningAHEAD) to 7,978 feet (!) in Garmin Training Center! So, who knows?

Average HR for entire run: 117

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 pm

You and Alita are definitely learning to adjust as needed.  And getting in runs in all sorts of conditions.  Good preparation for whatever comes your way on race day!

We also had a nice but chilly day today.  Rain in the forecast though.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 pm

nkrichards wrote:You and Alita are definitely learning to adjust as needed.  And getting in runs in all sorts of conditions.  Good preparation for whatever comes your way on race day!

We also had a nice but chilly day today.  Rain in the forecast though.

Glad you had a good run! Boo on the rain, though. I'm ready for spring! (Which, alas, means more rain, but hey.)

One upside of all the rain, however, is all the green...

Trails for Two - Page 7 17309210

Trails for Two - Page 7 17424610

Trails for Two - Page 7 17362010

We liked it.

Trails for Two - Page 7 17361610

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:03 am

Surprisingly springy legged uptempo run: 4.28 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, chilly. 35° Gear: Topos, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves (shed).

I was pressed for time this morning, so even though it was the day after a long trail run, I let my legs go a little. It was creaky at first but felt better as time went on. My paces after my warmup mile were 10:29, 10:24, 9:28. Heh. Kinda got enthused there. I was thinking, "Heck, I might as well go for negative splits," but I didn't imagine I'd lop nearly a minute off the pace. Smile

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 132, though it was obviously higher toward the end.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 am

Barefoot Run: 4.17 miles on wet asphalt

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild, damp. 48° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket, hat (tossed)

Caught a break in the weather and didn't have to run in rain this morning, though the pavement was still pretty wet. It was time for me to see if I've learned enough about my form to stop a pesky blister from reforming behind my second toe on my right foot. I tried different things until remembering one barefoot blogger talking about how overstriding or overreaching with the foot can cause blisters there, so I tried to shorten my reach... and it seemed to help. Neat.

I was very pleased with my HR and pace: 10:50/133; 10:51/135; 10:46/136; 10:47/138. The new mitochondria are definitely coming on line. Woot!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Very nice on shorter striding.  Isn't it nice when the new mitochondria report for duty?

We have green out the wazoo, down here.  Oak, pine, and pecan tree pollen are doing their part to keep the car wash businesses open due to the yellowness of the pollen.

Your flower picture taken a couple of posts ago reminded of the poison flower from the original Star Trek series.
Trails for Two - Page 7 Latest?cb=20081222040250&path-prefix=en
Hmmm.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:00 am

ounce wrote:Very nice on shorter striding.  Isn't it nice when the new mitochondria report for duty?

We have green out the wazoo, down here.  Oak, pine, and pecan tree pollen are doing their part to keep the car wash businesses open due to the yellowness of the pollen.

Your flower picture taken a couple of posts ago reminded of the poison flower from the original Star Trek series.
Trails for Two - Page 7 Latest?cb=20081222040250&path-prefix=en
Hmmm.

Hm, indeed... flower affraid flower

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:00 am

Treadhill Workout: 3 miles @ 12% grade (1,900 feet)

Indoors. 70° Gear: Topos, shorts.

Same workout, different day. HR was in the same range as it has been in the past few weeks. I was hoping it'd keep falling, but maybe I'm expecting too much. Still, a good workout.

Average HR 138

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next