365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 13 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B Sun May 07, 2017 3:43 pm

nkrichards wrote:Gray Butte got a fresh dusting a snow last night...

It may be chilly on the summit next Saturday but there won't be enough snow to matter.  At least I don't think there will be....this is Central Oregon and this has been an interesting weather year.

Good to hear your run went well this morning.

Well, at least it won't be too hot...

And goodness knows, we've got gear for cooler conditions. We'll just bring everything.

Trails for Two - Page 13 Bring10

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun May 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Gray Butte got a fresh dusting a snow last night...

It may be chilly on the summit next Saturday but there won't be enough snow to matter.  At least I don't think there will be....this is Central Oregon and this has been an interesting weather year.

Good to hear your run went well this morning.

Well, at least it won't be too hot...

And goodness knows, we've got gear for cooler conditions. We'll just bring everything.

Trails for Two - Page 13 Bring10
Your drawing is improving...some.  Good luck at Grey Butt.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Boy was I surprised when I checked the MADras Runners page and there you were!  They had shared your story about the lost trail runners.  Good to hear they were found...any news yet on why they were overdue?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 08, 2017 10:53 am

nkrichards wrote:Boy was I surprised when I checked the MADras Runners page and there you were!  They had shared your story about the lost trail runners.  Good to hear they were found...any news yet on why they were overdue?

I know one of the runners, so it was a big interest to me. (And the other runner was from Vancouver, so the missing persons report was relayed by the cops.) I'm not sure what happened out there -- they were exploring a new area, and it sounds like they just got too far out to make it back safely. They're experienced trail folk, so they created a lean-to and bedded down for a chilly night on a bed of ferns. I don't get the sense that either of them was injured.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 08, 2017 10:53 am

Tempo Run: 3 miles

Weather: Sunny and cool. 46° Gear: Too much! Topos, shorts, T, pullover, jacket. (was peeled down to T shirt on cool down)

This is the last week before Smith Rock, and the runs are shorter all week. I decided to let my legs go at a faster pace this morning. I got into the low 9s and 8s in my second mile without too much difficulty. I throttled back in my final mile but was still hitting about a 10-minute pace before starting my cool down walk.

I'll have to behave on the rest of my runs this week, but it felt pretty good to move a little faster this morning.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 128

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon May 08, 2017 11:51 am

Well it sounds like you have started your "taper" and it is going well.  I'm very jealous that you and Alita are going to share this together.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well it sounds like you have started your "taper" and it is going well.  I'm very jealous that you and Alita are going to share this together.

Yes, definitely in full taper now. We're treating this as more of a training race than the main event, so it's been a less intense taper than we might otherwise do. But we'll be ready.

Very glad that we're able to do this together. It's a whole different approach to all the solo running I did for so many years. It's a good thing.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Walk: 1.3 miles

Weather: Sunny and mild. 66°

I know I'm in the last week of taper and already ran today, but it was so nice I just had to slip outside at lunch to take a walk. I forced myself to keep it short, though. It felt good to stretch my legs and feel the sun on my face. It's been a long, gray fall/winter/spring..

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 am

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well it sounds like you have started your "taper" and it is going well.  I'm very jealous that you and Alita are going to share this together.

Yes, definitely in full taper now. We're treating this as more of a training race than the main event, so it's been a less intense taper than we might otherwise do. But we'll be ready.

Very glad that we're able to do this together. It's a whole different approach to all the solo running I did for so many years. It's a good thing.

Also jealous!  I know you realize how lucky you are to be able to share this with Alita.  You seem to have found a good balance of shared training runs and solo runs where you can push the pace a bit.  Relationships change as kids become more independent and eventually leave home.  This shared interest will be a good foundation as your relationship grows and changes.  Sorry...a bit to deep for this blog maybe.

Enjoy taper and enjoy your run on Saturday.  The mountains are absolutely gorgeous right now.  Looks like we're in for a change in the weather though.  I think Thursday is the worst but things change quickly here.  Saturday may be cooler but that's not a bad thing.  I just hope it isn't windy and that the skies are clear so you can enjoy the views.  Wish I could pop in and say 'hi' but I'll be boarding the plane as you're toeing the line.  Enjoy!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 09, 2017 10:26 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Also jealous!  I know you realize how lucky you are to be able to share this with Alita.  You seem to have found a good balance of shared training runs and solo runs where you can push the pace a bit.  Relationships change as kids become more independent and eventually leave home.  This shared interest will be a good foundation as your relationship grows and changes.  Sorry...a bit to deep for this blog maybe.

Enjoy taper and enjoy your run on Saturday.  The mountains are absolutely gorgeous right now.  Looks like we're in for a change in the weather though.  I think Thursday is the worst but things change quickly here.  Saturday may be cooler but that's not a bad thing.  I just hope it isn't windy and that the skies are clear so you can enjoy the views.  Wish I could pop in and say 'hi' but I'll be boarding the plane as you're toeing the line.  Enjoy!

Thanks, Nancy! It may say something that our first date back in 1992 was climbing Lassen Peak together. We like getting out and exploring. I'm glad that we're able to do that more now.

I've been watching the weather. The forecast temperatures are a lot cooler than I would have expected for mid-May, but we've got gear for that. My only hope is that we don't get rain that day -- especially midway through the race -- and that we actually get a view when we get to the top!

Sorry we won't be able to meet up this time. Have a great trip!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 10, 2017 11:02 am

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool. 51° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket (shed after warming up)

A beautiful spring morning with dry asphalt = a great barefoot running opportunity.

I did only three miles since this is the final taper week, but I ended up letting my legs go faster. A lot faster.

I started off the first mile in 10:05, with an average HR of 131, well below my target. Nice, I thought. When I hit the next mile, my pace had sped up to 9:37 with an average HR of 142. That surprised me, since the perceived effort level was low. Well, what the heck. The third mile came in at 9:15 with an average HR of 146. Speediest mile in a while, barefoot or not, so of course I goosed it the last tenth of a mile and averaged a 7:43 pace to wrap it up. The total 5K time was 29:41.

That was fun!

Average HR for entire run: 140

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 10, 2017 2:35 pm

How much elevation change is Smith Rock?  Are y'all going to be able to let Fluff watch Alec for the weekend or will he be tasked with his PS4 in a hotel room?

Be sure to find you a bear that has a salmon in its mouth.  And say 'thank you' when you take it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 10, 2017 8:18 pm

ounce wrote:How much elevation change is Smith Rock?  Are y'all going to be able to let Fluff watch Alec for the weekend or will he be tasked with his PS4 in a hotel room?

Be sure to find you a bear that has a salmon in its mouth.  And say 'thank you' when you take it.

3,238 feet up, 3,244 feet down, with the lion's share of the climbing in two big pulls. I'm hoping the less steep sections are runnable.

Trails for Two - Page 13 Sra-1510

And here's the map

Trails for Two - Page 13 Sra-1510

That aid station serves for the 5 mile and the 9.6 mile aid station. The finish line is allegedly 14.6 miles, according to the organizers.

The view is supposed to be great, provided the weather cooperates. What a Face

Alec will be doing his first two-night solo at home. He'll be well stocked with Dominoes pizza, as well as fixings for teriyaki chicken and rice he can prepare himself. He should survive with Fluff's supervision.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 11, 2017 7:37 am

PARTY AT ALEC'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid 

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce 

Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots

drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken 

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep 

silent pale silent pale silent pale silent pale silent pale silent pale silent pale tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue  
Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride 

Then, mom and dad return.
Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame

Alec receives his punishment.
Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration

While in the secret room, his friends are still playing cards.

Money Money Money Money Money Money Money Money Money

From Fluff's perch:
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

But Alec's street cred soars!
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool 

Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval   
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 11, 2017 9:34 am

ounce wrote:

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid 

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce 

drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken 

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep 

silent pale silent pale silent pale silent pale silent pale silent pale silent pale tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue  

Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame

Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration Frustration

From Fluff's perch:

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool 

Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval   

+1
You won't hear about what he actually does while you're gone until he's much older.  We're still finding out some of the things our kids did! 

Weather is looking a bit better...not great but a bit better.  Partial clouds and a bit windy but not terrible.  You may not have perfect views but it's unusual for the mountains to be completely clouded in.

Good luck.  And have fun!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 11, 2017 10:42 am

ounce wrote:

From Fluff's perch:

Major props, Ounce! You put more energy into that post than I think my kid will expend in the entire time we're gone.

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep study study study study study study study study study study study study Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep study study Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep study study Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 11, 2017 10:46 am

nkrichards wrote:You won't hear about what he actually does while you're gone until he's much older.  We're still finding out some of the things our kids did! 

Weather is looking a bit better...not great but a bit better.  Partial clouds and a bit windy but not terrible.  You may not have perfect views but it's unusual for the mountains to be completely clouded in.

Good luck.  And have fun!

Thanks!

I'll be happy if we just don't get rained on. Especially since the whole course looks to be pretty wind-exposed.

Either way, though, we'll get this done. I've been wanting to run here for a long time, so I'm looking forward to it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 11, 2017 11:42 am

My trainer friend here in Ohio is headed out to Portland (and then driving down all the way to Monterey) later today.  All he was hoping is that it doesn't rain, and that is what I am wishing for you all.  

Alec will be fine especially if he takes Doug's advice.  When I left my daughter alone for the first time (she was a sophomore in high school and already 16), she got "scared" and ended up calling me around midnight to tell me that she was headed to a friend's.  Don;t be surprised if he does the same and applaud him if he realizes that is what he needs to do.

Can't wait for the report and pictures.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Raining right now Mark but other than clouds and afternoon winds Saturday isn't looking to bad.

I keep forgetting to pass on the most important information about Smith Rock...

There is a kind of rustic looking shop on the left side of the road as you're driving into Smith Rock that sells the best Huckleberry ice cream!  It's just before you get to the turn off for the Bivouac camping area.  According to my Mom, if it's closed you should tap on the window and if the owner is there he will open up and sell you an ice cream cone.  Fortunately it's been open and I haven't had to try the window tapping. Wink

Also...the chances are good that you'll see bald eagles.  The best viewing opportunity is near the Bivouac camping area.  There is a large evergreen tree growing in the river basin and if you stand on the canyon rim you'll be near the top of the tree where a pair of eagles nest every year.  You can park in the parking area for the Bivouac camping and wander out amoungst the tents to the edge of the rim to get a good close up view.  Coming from that direction it is a bit hard to locate unless you know where it is.  I found it easier to park at the next parking area that's off the main road...before you get to the visitor center...and then head towards the rim and make your way south towards the camping area.  It's easier to spot from there...the tree is one of the larger ones and the nest is quite large.  You can usually see babies in the nest this time of year.  We watched the adult bring a fish or mouse or ? back to the nest for them one time.   Binoculars or a camera zoom are helpful but it's pretty cool even with just the naked eye.  I haven't had time to go take a look yet this year but I'd be surprised if they weren't there.

Have fun!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 12, 2017 10:46 am

Mark's all set for their trek into deepest, darkest Oregon.

Trails for Two - Page 13 2Q==
Living room camera monitor:  Check Approval

Trails for Two - Page 13 Th?id=OIP.QC0InBmHyhuWDyT4LXU0PADqEs&w=165&h=210&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1
The Columbian's satellite phone tied to the Ferby:  Check Approval

Trails for Two - Page 13 Th?id=OIP.pw_X6qdl6bH6OXFLtROEXAEsD5&w=230&h=192&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1
Wind-resistant umbrella to carry for Alita that looks
like something out of the movie "Spaceballs:"  Check Approval

Trails for Two - Page 13 Th?id=OIP.89tgDEs9vz5uLbqrdpjroQEEEs&w=173&h=192&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1
Cop delivering donuts on Saturday and
Sunday mornings to check on the house:  Check Approval

Proceed to the race event and don't fall down!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 12, 2017 4:44 pm

ounce wrote:Mark's all set for their trek into deepest, darkest Oregon.

Trails for Two - Page 13 Th?id=OIP.QC0InBmHyhuWDyT4LXU0PADqEs&w=165&h=210&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1

Trails for Two - Page 13 Th?id=OIP.pw_X6qdl6bH6OXFLtROEXAEsD5&w=230&h=192&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1

Trails for Two - Page 13 Th?id=OIP.89tgDEs9vz5uLbqrdpjroQEEEs&w=173&h=192&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1

Man! You are inspired this week! 

But is it just me, or does the doughnut cop look like a stripper? affraid
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 12, 2017 4:46 pm

nkrichards wrote:Raining right now Mark but other than clouds and afternoon winds Saturday isn't looking to bad.

I keep forgetting to pass on the most important information about Smith Rock...

There is a kind of rustic looking shop on the left side of the road as you're driving into Smith Rock that sells the best Huckleberry ice cream!  It's just before you get to the turn off for the Bivouac camping area.  According to my Mom, if it's closed you should tap on the window and if the owner is there he will open up and sell you an ice cream cone.  Fortunately it's been open and I haven't had to try the window tapping. Wink

Also...the chances are good that you'll see bald eagles.  The best viewing opportunity is near the Bivouac camping area.  There is a large evergreen tree growing in the river basin and if you stand on the canyon rim you'll be near the top of the tree where a pair of eagles nest every year.  You can park in the parking area for the Bivouac camping and wander out amoungst the tents to the edge of the rim to get a good close up view.  Coming from that direction it is a bit hard to locate unless you know where it is.  I found it easier to park at the next parking area that's off the main road...before you get to the visitor center...and then head towards the rim and make your way south towards the camping area.  It's easier to spot from there...the tree is one of the larger ones and the nest is quite large.  You can usually see babies in the nest this time of year.  We watched the adult bring a fish or mouse or ? back to the nest for them one time.   Binoculars or a camera zoom are helpful but it's pretty cool even with just the naked eye.  I haven't had time to go take a look yet this year but I'd be surprised if they weren't there.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip on the eagle, the huckleberry ice cream and the warning about the wind. Sounds like we'll definitely want our jackets, since it'll be in the 40s with winds 10-13 mph for much of the race. That'll be interesting. 

We'll be departing for Central Oregon in about an hour after the kid gets home. It seemed wrong somehow to have him come home to an empty house.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Mark's all set for their trek into deepest, darkest Oregon.

Man! You are inspired this week! 

But is it just me, or does the doughnut cop look like a stripper? affraid
Well, there's just so much material there of which to take advantage!  Like Colbert with Trump!! StirPot

And yes, she is a stripper.  But don't worry, I've already prepaid for her to stop by.  So once she and Alec establish the ground rules on Saturday, they won't waste as much time on Sunday.  She has her shots, too.  Plus, she's bonded and has a reputable bail/bondsman company on file.

Good luck!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 13, 2017 1:24 am

Trails for Two - Page 13 Img_7810

Well, this is unexpected…  our car sprung a leak in downtown Bend. We now have a rental car, our normal car waiting to be looked at by a mechanic tomorrow, hopefully, and plans to try to continue the race despite this extremely large distraction.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat May 13, 2017 7:30 am

At least the location was thoughtful of the car, rather than out on the road.

I'll guess:
1.  water pump
2.  radiator hose
3.  radiator

Too far forward to be the heater core.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content