365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 17 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Well, as old as that 305 is, the seal can be blamed.  Maybe Garmin still has refurbed 305s.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:22 pm

ounce wrote:Well, as old as that 305 is, the seal can be blamed.  Maybe Garmin still has refurbed 305s.

Well, this is weird.

I came home, plugged in the backup 305 and started fooling around with the "dead" one again. It powered on. No crackling noise. The screens still cycled quickly, but they settled down after another couple of resets.

It seems to be working again. Suspect

Still charging the other one, but who knows? I saw the rubber seal around one of the buttons looked damaged. Maybe it got a little wet in the deluge (I wasn't wearing a jacket, so there was no protection whatsoever), and fritzed out? Very odd.

Anyway, if it's alive, or even a zombie, I'll take it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, as old as that 305 is, the seal can be blamed.  Maybe Garmin still has refurbed 305s.

Well, this is weird.

I came home, plugged in the backup 305 and started fooling around with the "dead" one again. It powered on. No crackling noise. The screens still cycled quickly, but they settled down after another couple of resets.

Still charging the other one, but who knows? I saw the rubber seal around one of the buttons looked damaged. Maybe it got a little wet in the deluge (I wasn't wearing a jacket, so there was no protection whatsoever), and fritzed out? Very odd.

Hopefully it will live long enough to get you through the race.  I assume you're taking both...would the battery last 12 hours anyway?

I to love the old 305s.  I bought a "new" refurbished one a couple years ago and then sent mine in to be refurbished so I have two functioning watches now.  I know they are old and clunky but I like them!

One more thing to worry about...as if you needed another worry...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Well, this is weird.

Hopefully it will live long enough to get you through the race.  I assume you're taking both...would the battery last 12 hours anyway?

I to love the old 305s.  I bought a "new" refurbished one a couple years ago and then sent mine in to be refurbished so I have two functioning watches now.  I know they are old and clunky but I like them!

Hey, and it's happening IN THE LAST WEEK OF TAPER!!! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE MORE FUN?!?!? affraid

I've charged the new/old 305, and it seems to be doing great. (I think I had it refurbished years ago, but I can't quite remember.) I tried to charge the old/new one (the one that seemed dead but is now not dead), and it wouldn't start charging -- until I cleaned the contacts with an eraser. Now it's happily charging away. Go figure.

As far as time goes, one of these Garmins took me through more than 13 hours at the Mount Hood 50-miler. That was a few years ago, and batteries may have degraded, but who knows? Either way, we'll bring both, fully charge them, and have a backup ready in the car if needed.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Well, this is weird.

Hey, and it's happening IN THE LAST WEEK OF TAPER!!! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE MORE FUN?!?!? affraid

I've charged the new/old 305, and it seems to be doing great. (I think I had it refurbished years ago, but I can't quite remember.) I tried to charge the old/new one (the one that seemed dead but is now not dead), and it wouldn't start charging -- until I cleaned the contacts with an eraser. Now it's happily charging away. Go figure.

As far as time goes, one of these Garmins took me through more than 13 hours at the Mount Hood 50-miler. That was a few years ago, and batteries may have degraded, but who knows? Either way, we'll bring both, fully charge them, and have a backup ready in the car if needed.

Sounds like a plan...maybe just plan on switching at 6 hours?

The battery on my old 305 slowly held the charge for a shorter and shorter time...that's why I ended up sending it in to be refurbished.  And I also learned the benefits of cleaning the contacts with an eraser occasionally.

Hope one or the other holds up on race day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:52 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Well, this is weird.

Sounds like a plan...maybe just plan on switching at 6 hours?

The battery on my old 305 slowly held the charge for a shorter and shorter time...that's why I ended up sending it in to be refurbished.  And I also learned the benefits of cleaning the contacts with an eraser occasionally.

Hope one or the other holds up on race day.

Switching at 6 hours might be a good idea. The one nice thing about a loop course is, if the first unit conks out, we won't be losing more than a mile of data. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:50 am

Barefoot Run: 3.12 miles

Weather: Overcast, cool. 50° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket (until I warmed up) - resurrected Garmin (!)

Last barefoot run before the 12-hour ultra on Saturday. It went well, though I felt slightly discombobulated, and my resurrected Garmin worked just fine. Amazing what multiple resets will do.

Anyway, I kept the HR level steady and let my pace be slightly slower than it has been. This is just to keep the blood flowing.

Average HR for entire run: 133

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:29 pm

I'll be curious to know if all that running around in a 1.05432654 mile loop will cause a Low pressure vortex to appear. Cool
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:15 pm

You guys...runners...are creating quite the disturbance at the park.  The website has posted a general advisory for the day.

I took a look at the location of the park this morning.  If I stop at the observatory on the pass during my bike ride and look really closely I just may be able to see you. Running Running Running Actually now that I think about it you'll probably be in the shade of a tree and won't be visible.  Oh well...I'll wave just in case.

It's a transition day in the weather for us...great conditions for my bike ride.  Hope your weather is settled but not to warm.

Not sure when you are headed to the park...have a great day.  I can't wait to hear the details.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm

ounce wrote:I'll be curious to know if all that running around in a 1.05432654 mile loop will cause a Low pressure vortex to appear. Cool

Let's hope there's not quite THAT many runners out there. But that might explain the unexpected downpour last year. Suspect

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I'll be curious to know if all that running around in a 1.05432654 mile loop will cause a Low pressure vortex to appear. Cool

Let's hope there's not quite THAT many runners out there. But that might explain the unexpected downpour last year. Suspect

Whoa! I just discovered that my new powers give me the ability to edit any post. I accidentally edited Ounce's post above, making it look like he was talking to himself, because I clicked the "edit" button instead of "quote". (I went back in and fixed it.) Oops! Going to have to be careful about that. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 pm

nkrichards wrote:You guys...runners...are creating quite the disturbance at the park.  The website has posted a general advisory for the day.

I took a look at the location of the park this morning.  If I stop at the observatory on the pass during my bike ride and look really closely I just may be able to see you. Running Running Running Actually now that I think about it you'll probably be in the shade of a tree and won't be visible.  Oh well...I'll wave just in case.

It's a transition day in the weather for us...great conditions for my bike ride.  Hope your weather is settled but not to warm.

Not sure when you are headed to the park...have a great day.  I can't wait to hear the details.

The park has equestrian trails, so they don't really want to get horses out there on the trails with us during the event. It'd be more for the riders than us. It'd drive them crazy quickly if they blundered into our area.

I'll keep an eye out for you waving. Smile

The weather is not so terrific today, cloudy, and it's supposed to get windy and rainy tomorrow. Hoping it'll dry out enough so the trail isn't muddy on Saturday. We're used to mud, but it'd get pretty churned up with all those runners on it. Sure did last year.

We'll be driving down Friday night, spending the night in Creswell, then heading over Saturday morning. We're bringing the teenager this time, but he'll just hang out in the room for 12 hours eating pizza and lounging around with is electronics. Quite the life.

We'll spend Sunday night there, too, after our run ends at 9 p.m., then head back Sunday.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:58 am

Mark B wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Whoa! I just discovered that my new powers give me the ability to edit any post. I accidentally edited Ounce's post above, making it look like he was talking to himself, because I clicked the "edit" button instead of "quote". (I went back in and fixed it.) Oops! Going to have to be careful about that. Smile
I noticed that!  I was thinking, "I didn't type that.  "Hope" doesn't usually outweigh 'humor' on my replies to your comments.

Maybe create a new admin user name like, "The One" or "Worship worthy" or "Neo"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:You guys...runners...are creating quite the disturbance at the park.  The website has posted a general advisory for the day.

The park has equestrian trails, so they don't really want to get horses out there on the trails with us during the event. It'd be more for the riders than us. It'd drive them crazy quickly if they blundered into our area.

The weather is not so terrific today, cloudy, and it's supposed to get windy and rainy tomorrow. Hoping it'll dry out enough so the trail isn't muddy on Saturday. We're used to mud, but it'd get pretty churned up with all those runners on it. Sure did last year.

We'll be driving down Friday night, spending the night in Creswell, then heading over Saturday morning. We're bringing the teenager this time, but he'll just hang out in the room for 12 hours eating pizza and lounging around with is electronics. Quite the life.

We'll spend Sunday night there, too, after our run ends at 9 p.m., then head back Sunday.
Ah, to be adolescent and living on someone else's nickel again.

Good luck and don't forget to pack an extra car!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:31 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I noticed that!  I was thinking, "I didn't type that.  "Hope" doesn't usually outweigh 'humor' on my replies to your comments.

Maybe create a new admin user name like, "The One" or "Worship worthy" or "Neo"

Or Fluff.  affraid

Nah. I'll just be careful. I'd given myself moderator access, and that's what caused the new powers. If it becomes a problem, I'll just de-power myself and only use the admin login.

EXCEPT... I just accidentally posted answers to you using the Admin login, so I had to go back and delete those out, log out as admin, then log in again as me!  Rookie mistake!  Laughing

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:32 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I know, right? We'd leave him at home, but we're visiting his grandmother during our trip down there, so he needs to come.

Extra car. Roger that.

---

I'd programmed today in as a 2-mile run way back in January when I created the training plan for this weekend's event, but I just realized this morning that it'd be better to have two days off before the big day. So I gave Alita a nice Thursday surprise and excused her from her run today. Me, too. 

I'm not as antsy as I have been on previous events, though part of me is nervous about how things are going to go. Twelve hours is a long time. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:53 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I know, right? We'd leave him at home, but we're visiting his grandmother during our trip down there, so he needs to come.

Extra car. Roger that.

---

I'd programmed today in as a 2-mile run way back in January when I created the training plan for this weekend's event, but I just realized this morning that it'd be better to have two days off before the big day. So I gave Alita a nice Thursday surprise and excused her from her run today. Me, too. 

I'm not as antsy as I have been on previous events, though part of me is nervous about how things are going to go. Twelve hours is a long time. Guess we'll find out soon enough!
Did your schedule planning in January say you wouldn't be working nights anymore, help local economies in the auto mechanic specialty, and becoming King Fluff?

Yeah, kids need to see their grandmothers so they'll have something to remember.  Get Alec to ask her what life was like when she was 15.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:46 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Extra car. Roger that.

---

Did your schedule planning in January say you wouldn't be working nights anymore, help local economies in the auto mechanic specialty, and becoming King Fluff?

Yeah, kids need to see their grandmothers so they'll have something to remember.  Get Alec to ask her what life was like when she was 15.
Good to hear that Alec is going to see his Grandmother.  I wondered it he struggled during his last home alone adventure when I read he was going along this time...

I'm sure Alita was pleased to hear that she had an extra day to rest up for the race!

So what are your goals/plans?  Are you going to run a specific distance and then stop?  I remember you mentioning that Alita wanted to complete 50K.  Or are you going the full 12 hours?  I know you already know this but 12 hours is a looooong time!  Don't tell Alita...you'll freak her out.

Good luck whatever your goals are.  Tackle Heartbreak Hill with gusto and don't spend to much time talking to the trees...
Most importantly stay safe and enjoy the day with your running partner.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

ounce wrote:Did your schedule planning in January say you wouldn't be working nights anymore, help local economies in the auto mechanic specialty, and becoming King Fluff?

No, my new job definitely threw things into turmoil there for a while. The other stuff if just the normal things that happen to us.

Alec likes his grandma, and she is quite fond of him - even as a teenager! So that's good.

nkrichards wrote:Good to hear that Alec is going to see his Grandmother.  I wondered it he struggled during his last home alone adventure when I read he was going along this time...

I'm sure Alita was pleased to hear that she had an extra day to rest up for the race!

So what are your goals/plans?  Are you going to run a specific distance and then stop?  I remember you mentioning that Alita wanted to complete 50K.  Or are you going the full 12 hours?  I know you already know this but 12 hours is a looooong time!  Don't tell Alita...you'll freak her out.

Good luck whatever your goals are.  Tackle Heartbreak Hill with gusto and don't spend to much time talking to the trees...
Most importantly stay safe and enjoy the day with your running partner.

Alec protested slightly when we said he was coming with us -- until we said he needed to see his grandmother. Then, instantly, it was "Oh. Okay." :

Hope for that kid yet!

Goals: Alita is saying at least 31 miles, but I'm guessing that we'll do much more than that. I don't think we can hit 50, but somewhere in the 40s sounds about right. And yes, 12 hours is a very long time. I've warned her that it's going to be tough, and its going to hurt, and she may want to stop. She said if that happens, just keep her walking. She's stubborn enough to do that.

And yes, I'm staying with her, no matter what.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 pm

39 miles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  They call me MISTER Fluff Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 am

Let me know when my pets leave, so I can mess up the house some before they return.

Yes, I can type. Yes, I have their passwords.  You don't think I was hanging around them because I LIKE them, do you?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:35 am

They call me MISTER Fluff wrote:Let me know when my pets leave, so I can mess up the house some before they return.

Yes, I can type. Yes, I have their passwords.  You don't think I was hanging around them because I LIKE them, do you?

Now Mr. Fluff, I wonder how you manage to have the same IP address as Mr. Ounce?

I am starting to wonder if you two are in ca(t)hoots... Suspect

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:36 am

ounce wrote:39 miles.

If the weather had not been so much hotter than it has been, that might've happened.

What actually happened was 31.6 miles, getting Alita her first marathon and 50 km distance running. That was more than enough for the day. Once we hit that at about 9:41:00, we called it good.

That heat just kicked our butts.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  They call me MISTER Fluff Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:40 am

Mark B wrote:
They call me MISTER Fluff wrote:Let me know when my pets leave, so I can mess up the house some before they return.

Now Mr. Fluff, I wonder how you manage to have the same IP address as Mr. Ounce?

I am starting to wonder if you two are in ca(t)hoots... Suspect
He would not do my bidding.  I created my own account under the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, hew-man. Boy, I love the Ferengi.

Stay away forever.

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:39 miles.

If the weather had not been so much hotter than it has been, that might've happened.

What actually happened was 31.6 miles, getting Alita her first marathon and 50 km distance running. That was more than enough for the day.  Once we hit that at about 9:41:00, we called it good.

That heat just kicked our butts.

Well that's an accomplishment to be proud of even if you didn't reach your "A" goals.  I thought I remembered you mentioning Alita's goal to get in 50K and that was accomplished yesterday.

It's tough when things that are out of control affect us on race day and weather is just one of the things we can't change and can't predict when we choose events.  It was getting warm on the mountain yesterday and it was quite warm once I got home and showered and cleaned up.  I was thinking about you and Alita out there running in circles...

Hope you rested well today.  I'm interested in your assessment of the event once you've recovered a bit.

Tell Alita congrats!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next