365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 32 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Good visit with Dr. B yesterday.  Heart is fine.  The important news that I wanted to share is that Dr. B and his wife both signed up for the Mt. Hood 50K.  Dr. B stopped running marathons before I met him in 2015 but they've been running shorter distances and staying fairly fit.  It will be a first for both of them.  They did their first official training run in Forest Park a few days ago.  I think they picked a good one.

Hope you're feeling better...this has been a tough winter for a lot of folks.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:32 am

nkrichards wrote:Good visit with Dr. B yesterday.  Heart is fine.  The important news that I wanted to share is that Dr. B and his wife both signed up for the Mt. Hood 50K.  Dr. B stopped running marathons before I met him in 2015 but they've been running shorter distances and staying fairly fit.  It will be a first for both of them.  They did their first official training run in Forest Park a few days ago.  I think they picked a good one.

Hope you're feeling better...this has been a tough winter for a lot of folks.

Hi! Alita and I signed up for the Mount Hood 25K (at least I think that's what I signed up for in my wobbly, fever-addled state last Sunday), so you'll have to tell him we'll be there. We can at least say hello. If he wants to ask me about the 50K, I'd be happy to exchange emails with him. Just make sure he and his wife practice running in areas with roots!

I've been off work all week with this flu, under "house arrest," as Alec likes to put it. And I've developed a secondary sinus infection. So I'm on antibiotics for that and still popping an occasional fever even this many days out from my initial infection. I'm relieved it was only sinus infection. I had such bad chest pain from coughing that I was afraid I was getting pneumonia. My lungs were clear, though, so that was a huge relief. Still very fatigued. It's going to take a while to recharge my batteries.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Your bug is a sharer to include other functions besides the usual flu usual suspects.

Milk it for all it's worth!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm

Mark, this link is story from 2013 about a woman who appears to live in Seattle.  http://www.ptleader.com/news/sports_rec/running-long-and-strong/article_f641563c-3aa0-547d-a10e-af44346ea8d1.html

She runs the Half down here a bunch.  A buddy of mine who has a penchant for running statistics posted the following on FB in the Houston Area Road Runners Association group page on FB.  It's a public group.

If she lives somewhere else in Washington, you can check it out to see if it's newsworthy.

Jon Walk shared a link.
January 17 at 2:00pm
This women, Isabelle Noiret from Washington state, slashed the Aramco Half Marathon 75-79 age group mark on Sunday by posting a 2:16:16 besting Kay Duplichan's 2:46:26 by 30 minutes from 2013. (It was her 7th year to run the half marathon with us. Other times per houstonresults.com - '06 - 1:58:20, '09 - 2:02:27, '10 - 1:58:03, '11 - 2:03:28, '16 - 2:14:53, '17 - 2:19:58.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 am

ounce wrote:Mark, this link is story from 2013 about a woman who appears to live in Seattle.  http://www.ptleader.com/news/sports_rec/running-long-and-strong/article_f641563c-3aa0-547d-a10e-af44346ea8d1.html

She runs the Half down here a bunch.  A buddy of mine who has a penchant for running statistics posted the following on FB in the Houston Area Road Runners Association group page on FB.  It's a public group.

If she lives somewhere else in Washington, you can check it out to see if it's newsworthy.

Jon Walk shared a link.
This women, Isabelle Noiret from Washington state, slashed the Aramco Half Marathon 75-79 age group mark on Sunday by posting a 2:16:16 besting Kay Duplichan's 2:46:26 by 30 minutes from 2013. (It was her 7th year to run the half marathon with us. Other times per houstonresults.com - '06 - 1:58:20, '09 - 2:02:27, '10 - 1:58:03, '11 - 2:03:28, '16 - 2:14:53, '17 - 2:19:58.)

Impressive!

Alas, voter registration information shows she lives in Port Townsend, Washington. A wee bit outside of our circulation area, up on Puget Sound across from Seattle.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:08 pm

ounce wrote:Mark, this link is story from 2013 about a woman who appears to live in Seattle.  http://www.ptleader.com/news/sports_rec/running-long-and-strong/article_f641563c-3aa0-547d-a10e-af44346ea8d1.html

Jon Walk shared a link.

Fun story...thanks for sharing Doug.  To bad it isn't in Mark's circulation area.

Hope you're feeling better Mark.  Have Alita and Alec managed to stay healthy?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hope you're feeling better Mark.  Have Alita and Alec managed to stay healthy?

Hi, Nancy! I'm feeling better bit by bit -- I finally went a day without fever last Friday or Saturday -- and I've been back at work this week. I'm still getting fatigued, so it's definitely not time to leap back into training yet.  

I can't complain, though: Two of my coworkers who had the flu ended up getting pneumonia. This is a bad flu bug. I ran into my kid's doctor at the grocery store, and he said they've seen four months worth of flu cases in four weeks. There was a time when all the doctors in the office had it.

Alita has dodged it so far. Alec seems to have a cold, but not a bad one. Which is good, since this is his finals week.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Hope you're feeling better Mark.  Have Alita and Alec managed to stay healthy?

Hi, Nancy! I'm feeling better bit by bit -- I finally went a day without fever last Friday or Saturday -- and I've been back at work this week. I'm still getting fatigued, so it's definitely not time to leap back into training yet.  

I can't complain, though: Two of my coworkers who had the flu ended up getting pneumonia. This is a bad flu bug. I ran into my kid's doctor at the grocery store, and he said they've seen four months worth of flu cases in four weeks. There was a time when all the doctors in the office had it.

Alita has dodged it so far. Alec seems to have a cold, but not a bad one. Which is good, since this is his finals week.

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.  It is a very nasty bug this year.  Take it easy...I'm still not feeling totally recovered.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.  It is a very nasty bug this year.  Take it easy...I'm still not feeling totally recovered.
Glad you're back at the salt mines, Mark.  However, I did clean my screen, so I didn't get any bugs from your blog.  Nothing personal, you understand.

Did Alita's 2nd surgery yield any positive results?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Glad you're back at the salt mines, Mark.  However, I did clean my screen, so I didn't get any bugs from your blog.  Nothing personal, you understand.

Did Alita's 2nd surgery yield any positive results?

Sorry I didn't answer that question when you asked it earlier, Ounce. It's a bit of a sore subject.

No, the second surgery yielded no positive results. It might even be a little worse than before. And to add insult to injury, the doctor hasn't made any effort to follow-up after the surgery, schedule a hearing test, etc. It was as if she dropped off the face of the planet.

Alita's plan now is to eventually get a hearing aid for that ear, though she's in no rush. They're hideously expensive, and she's worried that one could get damaged in her classroom environment.

Smart of you cleaning the screen. You can't be too careful. alien

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm

I thought that insurance would cover hearing aids?  At least they covered my FILs, but of course, he never wears it - lol.  Hope you have recovered from the flu and that it stayed away from Alita and Alec.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Hope things are starting to return to normal at your house and that Alita and Alec stayed healthy.  Have you felt well enough to get any running in yet?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I thought that insurance would cover hearing aids?  At least they covered my FILs, but of course, he never wears it - lol.  Hope you have recovered from the flu and that it stayed away from Alita and Alec.

It'd be nice if insurance covered hearing aids, but alas... ours doesn't. They helpfully suggested that they're cheaper at Costco, though.

I'm mostly recovered from the flu now, but the rest of the family came down with something nasty, as well.

Alec spent the last week coughing his head off -- bad timing, since it was finals week -- and Alita succumbed to a super-bad head cold or feverless flu on Friday. We spent all weekend resting (or coughing, or feeling miserable), so we're looking forward to getting this all behind us soon.

nkrichards wrote:Hope things are starting to return to normal at your house and that Alita and Alec stayed healthy.  Have you felt well enough to get any running in yet?

As you see above, things went sideways last week for the rest of us. I don't know if they caught a variant of what I had, or it was something else. Either way, we're through being sick now, thank you very much.

I'm just now starting to think I have enough energy to try heading out for a walk, if the weather gives me a chance one of these days. It's been quite dreary and rainy. Running will come later. Hard to believe we started this month on a running streak... but you just never know what's going to happen.

Wash your hands!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Hey! Good news!

On Friday, three weeks to the day after I first started getting sick, I FINALLY got some exercise! 3 miles walking at lunch.

I'd finally felt good enough to walk earlier this week, but I kept being thwarted either by employee meetings or rain. But on Friday, the stars aligned.

It was a nice walk. We hope to get started running again soon. Alita's cold from hell is easing up, so maybe we'll get out there tomorrow.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Look! Forward motion!!

Easy Run: 1.55 miles with Alita

Weather: Surprisingly warm. Overcast, 57° Gear: Topos, Shorts, T

Two days short of our last run, and after weeks of illness, we finally made it back out for a run together today. We decided to keep it short, since our bodies (and lungs) have their share of rust in them. We essentially ran a mile with a quarter mile warm-up and cool down. Our pace was in the 10s and low 11s, with a sub-9 surge at the end.

It's going to take a while to get to where we want to be, but we've started.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Woohoo!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Woohoo!

+1

We're enjoying great running weather over here...hope it's nice there and that you're out and about!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:54 pm

Aw, shucks.

nkrichards wrote:

+1

We're enjoying great running weather over here...hope it's nice there and that you're out and about!

Thanks!

Yeah, the weather here is very springlike. A few years ago, we had 8 inches of snow on the ground. Now, I may need to mow the lawn.

I took a 3-mile walk at work on Monday, which felt solid.

And today...

Easy Run: 1.52 miles with Alita

Weather: Partly cloudy, 47° Gear: Topos, shorts, T, jacket, hat.

Out after work with Alita, trying to get things moving again. We kept a fairly even pace -- mostly in the 11s -- at the same shorter distance. We'll need to start working that up, once our bodies start to feel like they're working. I was a little creaky this evening, but it's hard to tell how much is legs starting to respond and how much is legs stuck in a chair at work all day.

Walked first and last 5 minutes or so.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 am

Progress is always good.  Hopefully there will be no more winter here or there.  We are getting a ton of rain (so no drought which is good), and hopefully it remains rain.  NE Ohio weather has been a mess so whether or not my personal life can handle being in Atlanta, my athletic life sure can deal with it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Progress is always good.  Hopefully there will be no more winter here or there.  We are getting a ton of rain (so no drought which is good), and hopefully it remains rain.  NE Ohio weather has been a mess so whether or not my personal life can handle being in Atlanta, my athletic life sure can deal with it.

Sounds good! It's been unusually mild around here this winter, so I feel a little guilty not taking advantage of it as much as I could. We will, though.

Not so much rain or snow, though, so the fire season this summer could be interesting.

I got in a nice 3-mile walk yesterday and a 2-mile walk today. We'll get another run in as soon as we can.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Progress is always good.  Hopefully there will be no more winter here or there.  We are getting a ton of rain (so no drought which is good), and hopefully it remains rain.  NE Ohio weather has been a mess so whether or not my personal life can handle being in Atlanta, my athletic life sure can deal with it.

Sounds good! It's been unusually mild around here this winter, so I feel a little guilty not taking advantage of it as much as I could. We will, though.

Not so much rain or snow, though, so the fire season this summer could be interesting.

I got in a nice 3-mile walk yesterday and a 2-mile walk today. We'll get another run in as soon as we can.

Good to hear that you've been able to get out even if it's mostly just walking. 

It has been an interesting winter.  Not sure you can actually call it winter this year.  Snowpack is still at less than 50% but the last report that I heard was that moisture/precipitation was only 8% below average but it came primarily in the form of rain.  It will be interesting to see how that affects our irrigation water supply and also what impact it has on fuel for fires.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:02 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Good to hear that you've been able to get out even if it's mostly just walking. 

It has been an interesting winter.  Not sure you can actually call it winter this year.  Snowpack is still at less than 50% but the last report that I heard was that moisture/precipitation was only 8% below average but it came primarily in the form of rain.  It will be interesting to see how that affects our irrigation water supply and also what impact it has on fuel for fires.

Yes, it has. We had a cold snap right before Christmas, and that was it. I'm about to take the studded tires off of Alita's car. Four years ago, we had nearly 8 inches of snow on the ground, with a layer of ice on top! Quite the difference. We were more Northern California than Oregon/Washington this year.

There's a lot of concern about snowpack, irrigation water and fire danger this summer. Crossing my fingers on that one.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:02 pm

We're having a roller coaster winter, which is really good because we get some cold, real cold, and some 70's.  Yesterday, it was 66 and 2.35" of rain.  Today, it was 46 at midnight and currently 37 and really windy.  Thursday, it's to be 77.  Another front arrives Saturday.

Is it time to go see the alpacas (or was it llamas?) or the pygmy giraffes looking things?  Glad you're back and target bait for cars.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

ounce wrote:We're having a roller coaster winter, which is really good because we get some cold, real cold, and some 70's.  Yesterday, it was 66 and 2.35" of rain.  Today, it was 46 at midnight and currently 37 and really windy.  Thursday, it's to be 77.  Another front arrives Saturday.

Is it time to go see the alpacas (or was it llamas?) or the pygmy giraffes looking things?  Glad you're back and target bait for cars.

Winter here in GA has been a lot more like yours, Doug than Mark's.  Lots of weird weather including two bouts with snow that stuck around and a lot of rain.  Cold last week and then 65F today.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:51 am

ounce wrote:We're having a roller coaster winter, which is really good because we get some cold, real cold, and some 70's.  Yesterday, it was 66 and 2.35" of rain.  Today, it was 46 at midnight and currently 37 and really windy.  Thursday, it's to be 77.  Another front arrives Saturday.

Sort of car bait. We're having a tough time re-establishing a rhythm. We'll get there, though the 24-hour event will probably have to wait for another year.

I'd like the see the llamas (and sometimes alpaca, depending on which way I run) again. But they're far enough away from the house that it'll be the spring before we make it that far.

Midwest weather is nuts. Say what you will about the rainy Pacific Northwest, but at least we've got this huge ocean to our west that moderates the weather.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

Winter here in GA has been a lot more like yours, Doug than Mark's.  Lots of weird weather including two bouts with snow that stuck around and a lot of rain.  Cold last week and then 65F today.

We finally got back to below freezing a couple of mornings this week, with sunny, dry weather. It's pretty, but not doing so much for the snowpack. Otherwise, it's been unseasonably warm. I think we've already hit 60, which is very unusual. The $#@& lawn is even starting to grow again. I have a suspicion this is going to become the norm over time. Well, we'll save money on snow tires, at least.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next