365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Mulligan...

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:37 pm

@ounce wrote:I don't know that protein is going to do a lot for you during a race.  Afterwards?  Absolutely because it'll rebuild the mitochondria damaged during your race.

You're right that you need to train with whatever you choose.  I wouldn't choose anything with very much fiber because that gives the potential of a code brown during the race.

If you're going for clarity of mind, anything with sugar will do, from cookies to expensive stuff.  My personal favorite was Fig Newtons because they don't make your fingers sticky.  Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Sweet Tarts, peppermint candy.  Junk food.  

For me, even a S!Cap capsule gives me some clarity.  I think because it's just something in my belly.  Even Gatorade would work.  Sure, you'll pee or sweat the salt away, but the sugar is for clarity.  You want a processed dessert item that's easy on your system, but accomplishes getting mental clarity.

You're set on potassium, so you don't need it.  Not even a banana.

Just my thoughts.
There is so much information out there that it's hard to find a definitive answer.  I'm not a big fan of real food during a race.  It's just to hard to carry, eat, and digest.

I've been reading as much as I can about the idea of adding protein.  Some studies show that for long events that protein will extend your endurance and hence your performance.  It also helps keep you from feeling hungry.  The Infinit that I ordered has some protein in it...it should arrive any day.  We'll see how that goes before I make a decision.

I've been having trouble with cramps again...a lot.  I read something this evening that states that the electrolytes job is to transport the water from your gut to your blood.  If you don't have electrolytes in your stomach the water will just sit there and you'll become dehydrated no matter how much you drink...and the result will be...yup...cramps.  So I don't think I'm going to mess with lowering the electrolytes in whatever drink I choose but I probably won't supplement with capsules.

I'm way behind with updating this blog with my actual training.  There are a few reasons why.  I've been really battling to find time to fit in training let alone blog about it.  I've been preoccupied with this nutrition stuff.  My weekly training is posted elsewhere here so I'm not going to worry about updating it here.

But...the real reason I haven't been on here much...it's Boston week.  This is always a tough week for me.  This year is no different.  I fully intended to move on after my poor marathon last November...start a new blog...give up on this marathon thing.  Truthfully...there is a reason that I'm still posting in my Mulligan blog.  I know I need to move on.  I haven't been able to fully do that.  Am I enjoying triathlon training.  Yes.  Will I try another marathon.  I don't know.  My family hopes not.

Enough whining...

Struggling to find time to fit my training in but I did manage to get in a couple medium/long bike rides this week.  Not as long as I would have liked but better than last week.  My training is going well overall.  I'm not going to be fast by any stretch of the imagination but if I can survive the bike ride I'll finish.  I still have a few more weeks to prepare.  The race is the first weekend in June.

My RHR was up a bit this week...I think the cause was carrot planting not training but I'm going to keep an eye on it.  Took a full rest day today.  Ready to hit it hard this week.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:51 pm

@nkrichards wrote:
@ounce wrote:I don't know that protein is going to do a lot for you during a race.  Afterwards?  Absolutely because it'll rebuild the mitochondria damaged during your race.

You're right that you need to train with whatever you choose.  I wouldn't choose anything with very much fiber because that gives the potential of a code brown during the race.

If you're going for clarity of mind, anything with sugar will do, from cookies to expensive stuff.  My personal favorite was Fig Newtons because they don't make your fingers sticky.  Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Sweet Tarts, peppermint candy.  Junk food.  

For me, even a S!Cap capsule gives me some clarity.  I think because it's just something in my belly.  Even Gatorade would work.  Sure, you'll pee or sweat the salt away, but the sugar is for clarity.  You want a processed dessert item that's easy on your system, but accomplishes getting mental clarity.

You're set on potassium, so you don't need it.  Not even a banana.

Just my thoughts.
There is so much information out there that it's hard to find a definitive answer.  I'm not a big fan of real food during a race.  It's just to hard to carry, eat, and digest.

I've been reading as much as I can about the idea of adding protein.  Some studies show that for long events that protein will extend your endurance and hence your performance.  It also helps keep you from feeling hungry.  The Infinit that I ordered has some protein in it...it should arrive any day.  We'll see how that goes before I make a decision.

I've been having trouble with cramps again...a lot.  I read something this evening that states that the electrolytes job is to transport the water from your gut to your blood.  If you don't have electrolytes in your stomach the water will just sit there and you'll become dehydrated no matter how much you drink...and the result will be...yup...cramps.  So I don't think I'm going to mess with lowering the electrolytes in whatever drink I choose but I probably won't supplement with capsules.

I'm way behind with updating this blog with my actual training.  There are a few reasons why.  I've been really battling to find time to fit in training let alone blog about it.  I've been preoccupied with this nutrition stuff.  My weekly training is posted elsewhere here so I'm not going to worry about updating it here.

But...the real reason I haven't been on here much...it's Boston week.  This is always a tough week for me.  This year is no different.  I fully intended to move on after my poor marathon last November...start a new blog...give up on this marathon thing.  Truthfully...there is a reason that I'm still posting in my Mulligan blog.  I know I need to move on.  I haven't been able to fully do that.  Am I enjoying triathlon training.  Yes.  Will I try another marathon.  I don't know.  My family hopes not.

Enough whining...

Struggling to find time to fit my training in but I did manage to get in a couple medium/long bike rides this week.  Not as long as I would have liked but better than last week.  My training is going well overall.  I'm not going to be fast by any stretch of the imagination but if I can survive the bike ride I'll finish.  I still have a few more weeks to prepare.  The race is the first weekend in June.

My RHR was up a bit this week...I think the cause was carrot planting not training but I'm going to keep an eye on it.  Took a full rest day today.  Ready to hit it hard this week.

Ultreya...
As far as curing the cramps, just change 1 thing at a time while you're training so you can see if there was any change.  If you change two things, you won't know which item caused a change, if any.

Maybe think about it like you would with a less than 5 year old child and a tummy ache.  I remember the pediatrician calling it either the RAT diet (rice, applesauce, toast) or BRAT (banana, rice, applesauce, toast) to help the kid hold food down.  You may need to eat a part or all of a banana, after all.  Whatever lessens the cramps.  Even go back to what you were eating during a race, when you weren't cramping.

What works for you may not work for an author writing a story.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:32 am

@ounce wrote:
As far as curing the cramps, just change 1 thing at a time while you're training so you can see if there was any change.  If you change two things, you won't know which item caused a change, if any.

Maybe think about it like you would with a less than 5 year old child and a tummy ache.  I remember the pediatrician calling it either the RAT diet (rice, applesauce, toast) or BRAT (banana, rice, applesauce, toast) to help the kid hold food down.  You may need to eat a part or all of a banana, after all.  Whatever lessens the cramps.  Even go back to what you were eating during a race, when you weren't cramping.

What works for you may not work for an author writing a story.

Yes, Doug...I'm making changes slowly and one at a time.  I like your comparison to a young child.  I don't feel like a young child but my family says I sometimes act like one. What a Face

The cramps are an interesting beast.  I only cramp badly during swimming...especially when I swim with fins for to long.  I do get the occasional cramp at night and once in a while I'll cramp during Pilates...the arches of my foot cramp when I point my toes...hence the trouble when I wear swim fins.  Once I start to cramp then the cramps spread.  I don't seem to have any trouble while running or biking.  After doing some research I'm pretty much back on the diet was on before I found out I had high potassium.  I do limit the extra electrolyte capsules but I don't worry about the potassium in the food I eat or the sports drinks I consume.  I think the key for me is staying hydrated and the electrolytes are a key part of that.

So...a quick update. 

I've been able to spend the time in the pool necessary to prepare for the swim portion of the race.  I won't be fast but I'll be as prepared as this old tired body can be.  We're trying to figure out a time/way to get in at least a couple open water swims before the race.  We still have time.

As I've mentioned I don't have the time on the bike that I would like.  The weather (wind) has made biking outdoors unsafe.  I did finally accept that I would have to do some indoor bike training and I think it was helpful as I could concentrate on cadence and intervals.  I do have a couple nice long outdoor rides in and we have more planned.  The bike portion of the race is going to be long...and a mental challenge.  I'll be prepared for the challenge.

My running is going extremely well.  I almost wish I was running a marathon this spring!  I think the strength training that I've been doing has really helped.  I ran 7 w/2x2 (rest 800) in the gusty wind yesterday.  My intervals were @ 9:23 and 9:25 pace and didn't feel hard.  My long runs are only 10-12 miles but they are fun runs.  Even my brick runs have been comfortable.  I'm not saying that I'm running at an easy effort but definitely not a hard can I finish this effort and the pace has been encouraging.  Running a half marathon after I've been out there for 5 hours is going to be tough but doable if I pace myself well.

I need to work on transitions and nutrition.  I need to get my bike cleaned and tuned a couple weeks before the race.  I still have time. 

So this week started with Total Body Conditioning followed by 2400 yards swimming on Monday.

Tuesday was Pilates and then my 7 w/2x2 run in the gusty wind.

Today will be TBC and swimming again.

Thursday's weather looks good so maybe a long bike ride or a brick.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 am

Electrolytes might not be the problem. Ask your swim coach about leg/foot cramping caused by swimming -- especially using flippers. I've used them before and oh, boy, did they stimulate all those little secondary muscles in my feet and lower legs. Perhaps you're doing something with your feet (curling your toes in too-big flippers, maybe?) that overworks them and sets them on edge. It's worth checking.

We have not had the winds you mention, except for a couple of days of windier weather. I can imagine that'd make biking not much fun.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 am

@Mark B wrote:Electrolytes might not be the problem. Ask your swim coach about leg/foot cramping caused by swimming -- especially using flippers. I've used them before and oh, boy, did they stimulate all those little secondary muscles in my feet and lower legs. Perhaps you're doing something with your feet (curling your toes in too-big flippers, maybe?) that overworks them and sets them on edge. It's worth checking.

We have not had the winds you mention, except for a couple of days of windier weather. I can imagine that'd make biking not much fun.

Yes, Mark, the fins are definitely part of the problem.  There was a very interesting article in the swim magazine a few weeks ago.  I'm not the only one who struggles when wearing fins.  Apparently one reason fins are recommended is to increase ankle flexibility and runners inherently have very inflexible ankles.  I do cramp at night as well though.  Coach Sara and Coach Tim both think it's related more to dehydration that electrolytes but apparently electrolytes are an important component of fluid absorption so it's all related.

Good week this week.  It was a tough one.

Mon - TBC, Swim 2400 yds
Tue - Pilates, 7 w/2x2 (rest 800) Windy but very pleased with run.  Avg. intervals @9:24  Avg HR 154
Wed - TBC, Swim 2950 yds  Tough swim...struggled to maintain pace at the end.
Thur - Pilates, Swim 2300 yds (including race distance time trial @ 2:25/100 meters), Bike 20 miles...hills & wind.
Fri - 52.6 mile group bike ride.  @ 14.7 HR 139  Didn't quite make race distance but I got the elevation in and did well.  We had a couple short stops that affected pace.
Sat - 13.4 mile Canyon Rumble.  @10:05  HR 149  Untimed event down the Willow Creek Canyon with a taco bar at the finish and a bus ride back up the hill.  The event is actually only 7.2 miles but I ran from home to get in enough miles.

So...I completed my triathlon this week...over the course of 3 days!  It may be slightly different when my transitions decrease from 18 hours to just minutes but I feel more confident that I can go the distance.  My paces weren't great but were actually better than I expected.  I was able to practice my nutrition/hydration and realized that I can push through leaden legs and run 13+ miles.  I'm exhausted today...totally expected.  Today will be a rest day as much as possible but I do have some yard work that needs attention.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17