365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year

+2
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
6 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 5 Empty Re: 2017 Another Tri-ing Year

Post  ounce Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Mark B wrote:Feeling much sympathy for that broken 5th metatarsal. That's the one Alita broke. It took time, but she recovered sufficiently to do her first ultra the following summer. So I best you'll be able to do whatever else you want.

As far as things to do, hmm... Victoria is in early June, so it's potentially a good time of year to visit the PNW. (Summer doesn't usually start until after July 4, but sometimes it dries out sooner.)  The snowpack should be heavy in the mountains, so I'm not sure how that'd work for Rainier. The highway ought to be plowed out to Mount St. Helens if you want to check that out.

I don't get up to Seattle much, but up there I'd say you should take a ferry out into the Sound, go to Pike's Street Market, the Museum of Pop Culture, and you'll need to head up to the top of the Space Needle, which is right next door.

Portland has a variety of options depending on what you want to do -- though you'll want to visit Powell's Books, run in Forest Park, maybe see the Portland Japanese Garden, check out the Columbia River Gorge and, oh, I don't know... VISIT US? (We do have a guest bedroom if you're interested.) Otherwise, there's a bazillion places to stay in Portland. It'd depend on your budget and how close you want to be to all the stuff downtown. Lots of dining options, depending on your preference. Also great ice cream at Salt & Straw, and passable but popular doughnuts at Voodoo Doughnuts.

That's a start, anyway. Very Happy
And please don't upset anything that would detract from Portland's wierdness.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:42 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Feeling much sympathy for that broken 5th metatarsal. That's the one Alita broke. It took time, but she recovered sufficiently to do her first ultra the following summer. So I best you'll be able to do whatever else you want.

As far as things to do, hmm... Victoria is in early June, so it's potentially a good time of year to visit the PNW. (Summer doesn't usually start until after July 4, but sometimes it dries out sooner.)  The snowpack should be heavy in the mountains, so I'm not sure how that'd work for Rainier. The highway ought to be plowed out to Mount St. Helens if you want to check that out.

I don't get up to Seattle much, but up there I'd say you should take a ferry out into the Sound, go to Pike's Street Market, the Museum of Pop Culture, and you'll need to head up to the top of the Space Needle, which is right next door.

Portland has a variety of options depending on what you want to do -- though you'll want to visit Powell's Books, run in Forest Park, maybe see the Portland Japanese Garden, check out the Columbia River Gorge and, oh, I don't know... VISIT US? (We do have a guest bedroom if you're interested.) Otherwise, there's a bazillion places to stay in Portland. It'd depend on your budget and how close you want to be to all the stuff downtown. Lots of dining options, depending on your preference. Also great ice cream at Salt & Straw, and passable but popular doughnuts at Voodoo Doughnuts.

That's a start, anyway. Very Happy
And please don't upset anything that would detract from Portland's wierdness.

It would take a lot more than a visit from Michele to disrupt Portland's weirdness...it's fully ingrained in the lifestyle.

+1 on Mark's suggestions.  +2 on Pikes Street Market and the Space Needle.  You'll enjoy a ferry ride to/from Victoria.  His suggestions for Portland are on the mark as well...except for Voodoo donuts but even I would try them anyway just because it's a Portland thing.  I would add that when you check out the Columbia River Gorge (+3) try and stop at the Vista House and drive a portion of the old highway.  Not sure how much the fire will affect your options but I think there will still be lots to see/do.  (short hikes and lots of waterfalls)  We encourage visitors to make the loop (long day or two days) and visit Mt. Hood as well.  Timberline lodge is worth seeing even if you can't spend the night.

We also have a guest area (two bedrooms and a bathroom) that you're welcome to use but we're a bit out of the way.  Would love to have you if it fits your schedule.

I'm a bit concerned about my ability to prepare for the event.  I'm not coughing as much and I've done a bit of walking and a bit of easy swimming but I'm amazed and disappointed at the fitness I've lost.  I'm still planning on it but....  We may need to make a decision about an additional house or ?.  Maura and Stan were planning on using the 4th bedroom at the house I have and I confirmed that they are still planning to go...and would like to bring another couple.  With your additional friend we'll definitely need more room!  We've got time to make a decision but probably don't want to wait to long.

Hope the running is going better and that you're staying warm and dry.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Years.  We traveled up to CHQ to see some (more, a lot of) snow and experience below 0 temps before Shannon & I and Dodger (of course) came back to the south on the 1st (and 2nd).  Took us 8.5 hrs to drive from CHQ to Lexington, KY on the 1st and we stopped there both for the dog and to watch the Dawgs.  Glad we saw the last quarter and OTs in that game - wow.  

Ran a half marathon yesterday which was a success.  Have been having issues running, but decided to simply go for it and run by feel.  Was pleasantly surprised with a 1:50 finish and 2nd AG (10 yr AGs).  Even felt well enough today to do a 20 min brick run after a 25 mile ride - outdoors in the cold GA weather (30s for the ride and run).  More about that later.

Thanks both Nancy and Mark for the PNW suggestions.  WE (the whole Keane clan) have been to Seattle and Victoria a couple of times and we have done the Pikes Market and the Space Needle.  Sure my daughter has not been there since I ran the Victoria Marathon in 2004, but we have done Seattle.  John and I did Portland back in 1992, and I've run through the city numerous times, but other than that we have really not explored the city or the area at all.  I think Shannon is looking forward to drinking craft beer and wine and I'm looking forward to seeing mountains and hiking.  C'est la vie!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:38 pm

So I have been running and I'm starting to feel like a runner again.  We have had a lot of cold weather and snow/ice events in Atlanta which has made for interesting training so far.  I've also spent the last week in Boston and will be returning on Sunday afternoon as my Dad passed away a week ago.  Trying to coordinate getting everyone to Boston with weather (my sister and family live in Indy and they have had a lot of weather and she had a niece's wedding to attend) and travel schedules (my husband was in China and then to Japan for work) so it has been a challenge.  I've been helping my Mom with stuff and finally everything is set for next Monday and Tuesday.  Of course, with our weather this week, there has been no school (except Tuesday) all week.  So my teacher daughter has been sitting around and now has to go to Boston and lose more teaching days when the kids are finally back in session.  

Back to the grind....

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:16 pm

So sorry to hear about your Dad Michele.  I'll be thinking of you as you gather to celebrate his life.  It's a tough transition for the surviving spouse.  Wishing your Mom the best.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Michele. Your mom is lucky that you're there for her. Please share our condolences with your family, and remember to take care of yourself, too.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks all for the well wishes.  We got through everything and now I'm back in Atlanta and of course, I'm trying to remind myself that no workouts were really lost and not to try and make it all up in a few days.  I am getting back on track with the mileage and hoping that it is all good even if I have less than 90 days until Boston.  All will work out as my only goal is really to re-qualify which means 4:05 or faster so I'm not that worried, but I still am concerned about my base.  I'm really more worried about IM70.3 Victoria as I'm going to end up spending some time in Boston before and after the race which will definitely compromise my ability to swim and bike.  I can use the pool at Wellesley, but the bike part will suffer.  It is what it is.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 pm

You'll do fine at both Boston and 70.3 Victoria Michele.  That said I know exactly how you feel.  It's easy to say you're going to run/race for fun but it's a lot harder to accept when you're a naturally competitive person.

Hope you're able to settle back into your normal routine.  That will help immensely with both your physical and your mental preparation.

Thinking of you...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5