365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year

+2
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
6 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017 Another Tri-ing Year

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I have obviously been negligent with my blogging.  I love to read the exploits of you all, but I just assume no one is really interested.  Funny how that is.  I have been dealing with my Mom regarding my Dad, recovering from the Super Bowl collapse of the Falcons, and swimming, biking, and running.  I did attend a Swim Clinic the day before the Super Bowl where we were videoed and given tips, pointers, drills on what to do to work on our stroke.  I was really interested in working on my efficiency and I thought that I would be told to rotate more, and well, no, she told me that I swam flat and that was ok.  Instead, I really have to focus on my extension and catch.  I've been doing the drills and I see some improvement in my times per 100 yds.  I suspect that if I swam with a group, I would probably swim faster 100s, but for right now, I like where I am.  The Masters group is very competitive, which is fine, but I've got the whole Boston-running thing to really focus on and I have learned that I can't hammer workouts just for the sense of hammering workouts.  When the run workouts call for it, then I will respond, but I certainly don't need to hammer the swimming sessions and the biking sessions.  I have continued to take the indoor cycling class and unless we are doing an FTP test, the one hr class is usually followed by a 30 min Brick Run.  I did think as I got more mileage in both the saddle and on the road that these Brick Runs would feel harder, but for the most part, I seem to adjust to the running pace pretty quickly - within the first 1/4 mile.  Maybe it is because I ride at the same cadence as I run?  Maybe because I am already a fairly quad dominant runner or maybe because I have such a long running background.  Just this morning when I was running with 28 yr old Courtney, I realized that my first running race of any kind was in April, 1977 - yes, 1977! or 40 yrs ago when I first ran the 880 in a high school meet.  Crazy.  Of course, it was also crazy that Courtney was so excited about the surprise 60th B-day party that she was planning for her Dad.   How cute!

So for the last two weeks, my workouts have looked like the following:

Wk of Jan 30- Feb 5th
Mon - Day off
Tues - 7.5 miles -5 x 1K @ tempo pace; Core and strength work
Wed - 6.2 easy miles; 1 hr Bike FTP test
Thurs - 6.7 miles w/4 @MP
Fri - Easy 5.5 miles
Sat - 12 miles; 1 hr Swim Clinic
Sun - Easy 4.5 mile Recovery run

WTD:  Run 42.4 miles
         Bike 17 miles (indoor)
         Swim 1800 yds Clinic

Wk of Feb 6th - 12th
Mon - Run 6.8 easy, hilly miles; Swim 2100 yds - mostly drills
Tue - Run 8.6 miles - Hill Repeats 5 x 3 min up; 5 x 3 min down w/2 min in between; Core & weights
Wed - 1 hr Indoor Cycle Class (3 x 10 min intervals), 30 min (3.4 miles) Brick Run
Thurs - 8 miles w/ 6 @ MP; Core & weights
Fri - 4.7 easy miles
Sat - 16 hilly miles with last 4 @ MP 
Sun - 5 recovery miles; Swim 2500 yds

WTD:  Run: 44.5 miles
         Bike: 17 miles (indoors)
         Swim: 4600 yds

I'm combining a bit of the Hanson's Training with what I did with Coach Bob for CBus back in 2015.  I certainly do not expect the same kind of results as CBus, but I am still hoping to break that illustrious 3:50 at Boston.  I am hoping that the hills and warm temperatures help, and I also am hoping to see some effects of the cross training.  Back in 2009, I was swimming a fare amount and certainly wasn't putting in the running mileage that I am today (I ran 16 miles in Jan, 94 in Feb, and 140 in March that year vs. 161 in Jan and 101 in Feb so far this year), and I ran a very comfortable 3:59 at Boston.  I had one long run of 19 miles but nothing else longer than 16 (except for the Myrtle Beach Marathon which I did at training pace in mid-Feb).  I know that I was 8 yrs younger, but I'm still thinking I can beat those results and that the swimming and biking will help.  We will see.

Until then, Always Boston Strong.

Thanks for the update Michele!

I know how hard caring for parents can be.  Hope you're able to help your Mom get through this OK.

Interesting that they told you swimming flat was OK.  It seems like they always stress good rotation.  My masters swim group is newly formed and we're not very fast.  It's a good fit for me.  Not sure I'd enjoy the group that swims in Bend as they are fast.

Impressive that you can still keep up with the 28 year olds...

I do have a couple questions...

• What part(s) of the Hanson's Training are you borrowing?  I assume you still plan to run longer than 16.
  • How/where do you fit your core and strength work into your schedule.  I struggle to find a good time to do it without compromising another workout.  Trying to fit in swimming, biking, and running is hard enough!

Boston training seems to be going well...good luck on your 3:50 goal.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:02 pm

The difference that I probably have from you, Nancy, is that my schedule is much more free.  I work contract from home and I can do what I do at just about any hour.  I carry a phone when I run and have been known to talk while doing easy miles.  I tend to go to the gym around 11 am every day and I either swim or workout for an hour.  It gets me there around the "lunch" crowd, but just right before and it is very quiet then.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:19 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:The difference that I probably have from you, Nancy, is that my schedule is much more free.  I work contract from home and I can do what I do at just about any hour.  I carry a phone when I run and have been known to talk while doing easy miles.  I tend to go to the gym around 11 am every day and I either swim or workout for an hour.  It gets me there around the "lunch" crowd, but just right before and it is very quiet then.

It looks like you're doing your core and strength workouts on run days.  After you run?  Does that work well for you?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:23 pm

I actually prefer to do the core and strength work before I run (if I can) as for whatever reason it really loosens me up and then I have a real good run.  It is hard to fit that in if I've got a busy work week, but like today (since it is a down day and my offices in Tampa closed cause the shop is closed in support), I was able to do my core and strength work at 10 am and then follow it with my hill run at 11 am.  

Other days, I run in the early morning with friends (we have a group of 5 of us where we meet warm up together, do our workouts and then cool down together), so home and stretch, and then go to the gym around 11 to do the strength work or to swim.  I have had success both ways, but often wonder if I would swim faster if it was my only workout of the day!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:20 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I actually prefer to do the core and strength work before I run (if I can) as for whatever reason it really loosens me up and then I have a real good run.  It is hard to fit that in if I've got a busy work week, but like today (since it is a down day and my offices in Tampa closed cause the shop is closed in support), I was able to do my core and strength work at 10 am and then follow it with my hill run at 11 am.  

Other days, I run in the early morning with friends (we have a group of 5 of us where we meet warm up together, do our workouts and then cool down together), so home and stretch, and then go to the gym around 11 to do the strength work or to swim.  I have had success both ways, but often wonder if I would swim faster if it was my only workout of the day!

Thanks Michele.  It will actually work really well for me to do my core work early while the weather is cool and we're not irrigating and as the weather warms up I can run early and do the core later.  I always worried about it compromising a training run but I guess that's not an issue.  Thanks.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:35 am

Glad to hear from you. Sorry about the challenges with the parents. That's hard.

I was interested with what you said about core work before a run. I wonder if it works for you by "waking up" the key stability muscles enough to where they still remember to fire when you're out running? I always feel more connected right after a strength session, so I could see that working with a run.

Sorry about the Falcons, BTW. REALLY, REALLY, REALLY sorry... Wink

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Well after having had many a good workout and feeling especially good during my indoor cycle class (this is not a spin class but rather your bike on the Computrainer with others all doing the same workout at your specifications) and brick afterwards, I finally had that crash and burn.  Now while many of you would look at my "Strava" data and say that 10 miles in 1:28 is pretty good, it was really how it happened that defined the crash, and I'm happy for it.  My run was intended to be 10 or 11 total miles over a rolling course with 2 x 4 miles at MP with floats (short 1/4-1/2 mile segments) at HMP.  I deliberately waited until 8 am to get out there as the weather was warmish by then (almost 60) but not too humid.  I still wore long sleeves (I'm trying to run warm) and shorts.  The warm up mile was good and I settled right into the first 4 miles.  Everything seemed to be clicking along, but after I got caught at a light (for what seemed like hrs), things started to unravel.  My HR began to creep up, my water seemed warm, the sun seemed warmer, everything suddenly hurt and the next hill seemed like Mt. Everest - you get the picture.  It seemed like I went from an 8:30 pace to a 15 min pace - just like that!  I made it up the hill but the remainder of the run was slow and awful to say the least, but I did finish the 10 miles.

Now why am I happy about that?  Because I needed to get that bad run out of my system.  I was worried that I was feeling a bit too good and I am always skeptical of feeling too good for an entire training session especially with the added cycling and swimming.   As it was my 5 miler this morning was pretty darn easy, but I did decide to skip my swim session (of course the fact that I had to wait for drywall guys and painters who are now here aided in that decision).  I have 16 miles to do tomorrow in the form of an easy 3 followed by a planned pace cut down over a hilly half marathon course.  I chose to run this race course because it is indeed hilly and the race doesn't start until 9 am.  By 9 am, it will be in the low 50s tomorrow (we are getting a cold front - lol as it has been so warm around here 76F right now) and a bit more humid with the rain to be overnight.  Of course believe it or not, the weather isn't much different in Cleveland and they will not be getting any snow either.  In fact, it is supposed to be around 32F on Sunday morning here and only 28F there.

There are  still 6 wks until Boston - and I will survive.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well after having had many a good workout and feeling especially good during my indoor cycle class (this is not a spin class but rather your bike on the Computrainer with others all doing the same workout at your specifications) and brick afterwards, I finally had that crash and burn.  Now while many of you would look at my "Strava" data and say that 10 miles in 1:28 is pretty good, it was really how it happened that defined the crash, and I'm happy for it.  My run was intended to be 10 or 11 total miles over a rolling course with 2 x 4 miles at MP with floats (short 1/4-1/2 mile segments) at HMP.  I deliberately waited until 8 am to get out there as the weather was warmish by then (almost 60) but not too humid.  I still wore long sleeves (I'm trying to run warm) and shorts.  The warm up mile was good and I settled right into the first 4 miles.  Everything seemed to be clicking along, but after I got caught at a light (for what seemed like hrs), things started to unravel.  My HR began to creep up, my water seemed warm, the sun seemed warmer, everything suddenly hurt and the next hill seemed like Mt. Everest - you get the picture.  It seemed like I went from an 8:30 pace to a 15 min pace - just like that!  I made it up the hill but the remainder of the run was slow and awful to say the least, but I did finish the 10 miles.

Now why am I happy about that?  Because I needed to get that bad run out of my system.  I was worried that I was feeling a bit too good and I am always skeptical of feeling too good for an entire training session especially with the added cycling and swimming.   As it was my 5 miler this morning was pretty darn easy, but I did decide to skip my swim session (of course the fact that I had to wait for drywall guys and painters who are now here aided in that decision).  I have 16 miles to do tomorrow in the form of an easy 3 followed by a planned pace cut down over a hilly half marathon course.  I chose to run this race course because it is indeed hilly and the race doesn't start until 9 am.  By 9 am, it will be in the low 50s tomorrow (we are getting a cold front - lol as it has been so warm around here 76F right now) and a bit more humid with the rain to be overnight.  Of course believe it or not, the weather isn't much different in Cleveland and they will not be getting any snow either.  In fact, it is supposed to be around 32F on Sunday morning here and only 28F there.

I found your post interesting on several levels Michele.  I was a bit confused at first but after thinking about it I guess your experience crashing during a training run provided evidence that you are pushing hard enough to make improvements.  And it was a reminder that you were close to the overtraining tipping point and needed to take a bit more time for recovery.  If every training run went very well I guess that would be an indication that you were training to conservatively.  I guess we could all be successful all of the time if we set our standards low enough but what fun would that be?

Stay safe out there.  I'm sure you'll not only survive but thrive during these last few weeks of Boston training.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:45 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well after having had many a good workout and feeling especially good during my indoor cycle class (this is not a spin class but rather your bike on the Computrainer with others all doing the same workout at your specifications) and brick afterwards, I finally had that crash and burn.  Now while many of you would look at my "Strava" data and say that 10 miles in 1:28 is pretty good, it was really how it happened that defined the crash, and I'm happy for it.  My run was intended to be 10 or 11 total miles over a rolling course with 2 x 4 miles at MP with floats (short 1/4-1/2 mile segments) at HMP.  I deliberately waited until 8 am to get out there as the weather was warmish by then (almost 60) but not too humid.  I still wore long sleeves (I'm trying to run warm) and shorts.  The warm up mile was good and I settled right into the first 4 miles.  Everything seemed to be clicking along, but after I got caught at a light (for what seemed like hrs), things started to unravel.  My HR began to creep up, my water seemed warm, the sun seemed warmer, everything suddenly hurt and the next hill seemed like Mt. Everest - you get the picture.  It seemed like I went from an 8:30 pace to a 15 min pace - just like that!  I made it up the hill but the remainder of the run was slow and awful to say the least, but I did finish the 10 miles.

Alita and I just had a run like that. Everything pretty much went wrong. But you're right - it's good to have that out of the way. And like Nancy says, it shows we all are stimulating our systems enough to provoke a response. As long as we don't merrily sail over the edge of overtraining, we're good. That's why these runs can be encouraging.

Crazy weather, though. Spring to winter, just like that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:44 am

Interesting comment about the East coast and snow/weather being a month ahead.  I know it has been warmer in Chicago and even Ohio, but they have had snow in Cleveland and in the Boston area.  We have had our share of colder weather here in Atlanta i.e. it is 43F this morning and it is supposed to be colder the next two mornings.  I keep telling the woman here running Boston as well (my birthday twin+10 and her first) to run warm during training since she hates cold weather.  She does all her runs at 0Dark30 or most of them and many of those runs have been in shorts and no sleeves - but in 40F weather.  She keeps laughing at me for wearing long sleeves and capri tights when the temps are in the 50s, but I have run plenty of marathons in 80F weather including Boston.  She keeps expecting it to be cold.

I don't expect it to be cold and I expect things to only get warmer especially if we lift regulations in some areas.  Now I am one to believe that the EPA is (in many cases) too large and bureaucratic to get things done and that there exist layers of redundancy, but culling the whole organization is not the answer.  It will be interesting to see what it does to my company as well since we do a fair amount of work that is regulatory driven i.e. standards for Drinking Water; discharge standards for waste.  We figure that our business has slowed down because no one knows what is going to happen.  The State Level EPA (EPD in GA) have some authority and I guess the current Admin wants things pushed to the state level - but shoot, the states of Alabama, Georgia, and Florida can't even agree on who has what "rights" to the Chattahoochee River stating that Atlanta hogs too much of the water and West Point, GA dumps too much wastewater back in causing issue with the mussel population in the Gulf.  You see where we are headed - to a pretty much standstill.  There have been good things that have come out of the EPA with regards to the clean up of Superfund sites and the clean up of the Great Lakes (Lake Erie water quality is the best it has ever been) and many inland waterways.  After all, we don't need the Cuyahoga River to spontaneously combust again, do we?????  So whatever you think or believe, spending a $54 billion on the military and cutting the EPA out completely probably will not be good for my Grandchildren or those Grandchildren or even Children of some of the B**stards in DC with their heads up their butts.  But whatever, I'll benefit from the "tax changes" - so why should I care right?  I doubt my husband will lose his job, we are not blue collar factory workers (although I might lose mine), but what about leaving the planet better than we found it.

Oh and by the way, I have been running too.  Actually ran 206 miles in the month of February which is a high for me in that month for a number of years.  Still feeling ok.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:42 pm

You know what I found amazing about your post Michele.  The fact that even though we're looking at this problem from what most people would assume was opposite sides we still have the same goal.  A future that we can be proud to pass on to our children and grandchildren.  As the owner of a family business that's natural resource based we've been adversely effected by increasingly unrealistic regulations.  The public doesn't hear our side of the story as we're busy earning a living and caring for our families.  Things shifted way to far to one side for way to long.  An uprising was not unexpected.  But undoing everything and moving to far in the opposite direction is not the answer and will actually make things worse.  The answer has to be compromise and that can't happen without education.  We want to protect the natural resources we've been entrusted with.  We want to provide society with the food and fiber that they need...at a price they can afford.  We need to work together to accomplish the environmental goals that you mention.  I believe we can accomplish them...and continue to utilize our natural resources responsibly if we listen...really listen to the other side.  The extremists on both sides get all the attention...and cause all the problems.  The middle ground is where the answer lies.

Sorry for hijacking your blog...I'm as frustrated as you.

And it's good to hear that you've been running and you're still feeling good. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:34 am

Just dropping in to say that it's nice to hear a civil conversation about this sort of thing for a change. Keep it up! Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:You know what I found amazing about your post Michele.  The fact that even though we're looking at this problem from what most people would assume was opposite sides we still have the same goal.  A future that we can be proud to pass on to our children and grandchildren.  As the owner of a family business that's natural resource based we've been adversely effected by increasingly unrealistic regulations.  The public doesn't hear our side of the story as we're busy earning a living and caring for our families.  Things shifted way to far to one side for way to long.  An uprising was not unexpected.  But undoing everything and moving to far in the opposite direction is not the answer and will actually make things worse.  The answer has to be compromise and that can't happen without education.  We want to protect the natural resources we've been entrusted with.  We want to provide society with the food and fiber that they need...at a price they can afford.  We need to work together to accomplish the environmental goals that you mention.  I believe we can accomplish them...and continue to utilize our natural resources responsibly if we listen...really listen to the other side.  The extremists on both sides get all the attention...and cause all the problems.  The middle ground is where the answer lies.

And it's good to hear that you've been running and you're still feeling good. Smile

Exactly!  I think we completely agree here, Nancy - I really do.  Some regulations are indeed necessary and others are simply poppy-cock. No apologies necessary - if we could just get the sides talking, it would be easy (or it would be football - hope some of you get the joke)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
nkrichards wrote:You know what I found amazing about your post Michele.  The fact that even though we're looking at this problem from what most people would assume was opposite sides we still have the same goal.  A future that we can be proud to pass on to our children and grandchildren.  As the owner of a family business that's natural resource based we've been adversely effected by increasingly unrealistic regulations.  The public doesn't hear our side of the story as we're busy earning a living and caring for our families.  Things shifted way to far to one side for way to long.  An uprising was not unexpected.  But undoing everything and moving to far in the opposite direction is not the answer and will actually make things worse.  The answer has to be compromise and that can't happen without education.  We want to protect the natural resources we've been entrusted with.  We want to provide society with the food and fiber that they need...at a price they can afford.  We need to work together to accomplish the environmental goals that you mention.  I believe we can accomplish them...and continue to utilize our natural resources responsibly if we listen...really listen to the other side.  The extremists on both sides get all the attention...and cause all the problems.  The middle ground is where the answer lies.

Exactly!  I think we completely agree here, Nancy - I really do.  Some regulations are indeed necessary and others are simply poppy-cock. No apologies necessary - if we could just get the sides talking, it would be easy (or it would be football - hope some of you get the joke)

Smile I'm just glad we have running...biking...swimming to distract us from what's going on!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Lamenting the Demise of the Local 10K

Over the last two weekends, I have participated in two local road races that have been in Atlanta each for over 30 yrs.  These races used to be quite a big deal and drew the fastest runners in the city.  And you all know how much I love to race.  One course is a very hilly half marathon - Run the Reagan - which is known for being a tough course and has suffered over the years by moving from February to April and back again hoping to draw the crowds that used to come.  They have even added 5K and 10K distances in hopes of bringing in those runners wishing to run a Peachtree Road Race qualifier.  The last time that I ran this half marathon was back in 2011 (now I have been living in Cleveland for the past 4 winters and it was postponed due to weather in 2012 when we had an ice storm in Atlanta) and there were 400+ finishers.  This year a mere 102.  Yup, 102!  Are runners too scared to come run this very tough course? Are runners reluctant to drive "all the way" out to Snellville? Are runners not satisfied to run a hard course that won't generate a PR but will require a good effort to run? Are there just too many other races in the Atlanta area on a given weekend? (There were other 5Ks around, but not really that many).  But that is a definite decrease in participation.  As for the 5K and 10K, they were decidedly smaller as well. I thought well, Reagan is a tough course, but the race next week will bring a much larger crowd right?

After all, I ran the Reagan Half as a training run myself - and was extremely surprised to find myself 2nd in my AG with only three entrants - just three in the F55-59 AG?  Wow, really?  And my time was good for a training run especially on a difficult course - but only three of us, really? 

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 2 TSP_10917826
Me at the finish of Reagan

So fast forward to this past weekend, and the running of the 34th Chattahoochee Road Runners 10k. Now this has always a been a fast course (even with the course changes over the years) and most runners used to run either it or this coming weekend's Charles Harris 10K to get their PRR qualifying times.  These two 10Ks have the reputation of being flat to slightly downhill and fast.  Now I had not run this 10K since 2007 opting for Charles Harris a couple of years and then of course, spending the last four years in Ohio.  Well was I surprised when I finished 1st in my AG with a time of 46:23 - not that it is a bad time, but still the race was only 480 participants way down from the last time I ran it with 1500 10K runners.  So maybe the addition of a 5K decimated the 10K numbers?  Nope last year there were 521 5K finishers and 430 10K finishers - not exactly 1500 runners. 
2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 2 TSP_10935043
Alex, Courtney & I at the Start

So where has everyone gone?  There are still lots of runners out there as the Publix Marathon that will be held on March 19th is sold out (the half still has plenty of entries available.  The Boston Marathon turns runner away.  Are there so many small races out there that the runners have been diluted?  I know runners who seek out the smaller races so they can win a medal in their AG.  I'm seeking out races so I can see how I stack up to my AG competition.  Has running society changed so much that we just want to show our friends on FB on medal on Monday morning?  Have I become just an old  runner hoping for the good old days?  I'm not really that interested in posting pictures of medals (and here I am ranting in a blog - lol), I'm just seeking out competition and hoping that I'm still running in another 5 yrs, and I hope the Run the Reagan Half Marathon and CRR 10K are still  there for me to challenge myself.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 2 TSP_10936440
Me at the Downhill finish of the CRR 10K

Until then.........1L is still running.  Always Boston Strong.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks SO much for taking Osweiler off our hands!  He can be a good QB, but he has to shrink his target circle when he throws to hopefully be within the receiver's ability to catch it, rather than sailing off.  If he shrinks the circle, he will do very well, but he's not too brainy.  If you catch him doing a commercial, you'll see what I mean.

Now I hope we don't get Romo.  If he can't be healthy behind the best offensive line in pro football, he's going to break like dry spaghetti.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:33 pm

QBs in Cleveland don't last long enough to do commercials.  I think RG3 played one game.  Add Brock to another name on an infamous list- I think it's up to 25 since the team came back to Cleveland in 1999.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

Lamenting the Demise of the Local 10K

Over the last two weekends, I have participated in two local road races that have been in Atlanta each for over 30 yrs.  These races used to be quite a big deal and drew the fastest runners in the city.  And you all know how much I love to race.  One course is a very hilly half marathon - Run the Reagan - which is known for being a tough course and has suffered over the years by moving from February to April and back again hoping to draw the crowds that used to come.  They have even added 5K and 10K distances in hopes of bringing in those runners wishing to run a Peachtree Road Race qualifier.  The last time that I ran this half marathon was back in 2011 (now I have been living in Cleveland for the past 4 winters and it was postponed due to weather in 2012 when we had an ice storm in Atlanta) and there were 400+ finishers.  This year a mere 102.  Yup, 102!  Are runners too scared to come run this very tough course? Are runners reluctant to drive "all the way" out to Snellville? Are runners not satisfied to run a hard course that won't generate a PR but will require a good effort to run? Are there just too many other races in the Atlanta area on a given weekend? (There were other 5Ks around, but not really that many).  But that is a definite decrease in participation.  As for the 5K and 10K, they were decidedly smaller as well. I thought well, Reagan is a tough course, but the race next week will bring a much larger crowd right?

After all, I ran the Reagan Half as a training run myself - and was extremely surprised to find myself 2nd in my AG with only three entrants - just three in the F55-59 AG?  Wow, really?  And my time was good for a training run especially on a difficult course - but only three of us, really? 

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 2 TSP_10917826
Me at the finish of Reagan

So fast forward to this past weekend, and the running of the 34th Chattahoochee Road Runners 10k. Now this has always a been a fast course (even with the course changes over the years) and most runners used to run either it or this coming weekend's Charles Harris 10K to get their PRR qualifying times.  These two 10Ks have the reputation of being flat to slightly downhill and fast.  Now I had not run this 10K since 2007 opting for Charles Harris a couple of years and then of course, spending the last four years in Ohio.  Well was I surprised when I finished 1st in my AG with a time of 46:23 - not that it is a bad time, but still the race was only 480 participants way down from the last time I ran it with 1500 10K runners.  So maybe the addition of a 5K decimated the 10K numbers?  Nope last year there were 521 5K finishers and 430 10K finishers - not exactly 1500 runners. 
2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 2 TSP_10935043
Alex, Courtney & I at the Start

So where has everyone gone?  There are still lots of runners out there as the Publix Marathon that will be held on March 19th is sold out (the half still has plenty of entries available.  The Boston Marathon turns runner away.  Are there so many small races out there that the runners have been diluted?  I know runners who seek out the smaller races so they can win a medal in their AG.  I'm seeking out races so I can see how I stack up to my AG competition.  Has running society changed so much that we just want to show our friends on FB on medal on Monday morning?  Have I become just an old  runner hoping for the good old days?  I'm not really that interested in posting pictures of medals (and here I am ranting in a blog - lol), I'm just seeking out competition and hoping that I'm still running in another 5 yrs, and I hope the Run the Reagan Half Marathon and CRR 10K are still  there for me to challenge myself.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 2 TSP_10936440
Me at the Downhill finish of the CRR 10K

Until then.........1L is still running.  Always Boston Strong.

Michele I think there are just so many events offered now that other than a few bucket list events they are all struggling to maintain numbers.  They published a calendar of Central Oregon (Bend, Redmond, Prineville, Madras)events a few weeks ago.  There are events every weekend and many weekends have multiple events.  Color runs, mud runs...you name it.  And I do think that a lot of the participants are looking for something other than a challenging competitive event.  It will be interesting to see how things continue to evolve.  I liked it when I could count on a few well organized, well attended, challenging events spread out over the racing season...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:42 pm

After lamenting about the two races I "ran" that I felt were low in numbers, the other "big" or I should say formerly "big" 10K here in Atlanta was last weekend.  This race is 40+ yrs old,  raises money for leukemia research, and is named after a teacher/coach who was pretty well known back in the day.  He was an avid runner and died young of leukemia - the race has been held in his honor ever since.  Back in the day, this race would cap runners at 2000 and the last year I ran it (2011), there were 1617 finishers.  This year there were just shy of 400 runners.  Sad because some major roads are closed for this race and I doubt 400 runners entry fees can pay for that.  Entry fees are relatively cheap here in Atlanta and I don't think that runners will pay an increase.  

Now that being said, the Publix Georgia Marathon and Half Marathon is this Sunday - and lo and behold, the marathon is already sold out! The half is still open, but there are close to 700 registrants already.  Go figure.

Anyway it has been a tough week to get in everything and the biking and swimming have suffered.  Suddenly our clients have decided to screw waiting on 45 and many of the projects that were at a standstill have re-awoken and it was busy, busy, busy with quoting and design this week.  I'm not complaining that I have something work-wise to do, but still all in one week!  Kind of typical though but we usually get this wave of projects earlier in the year.  Add to this crazy workload the winter weather we have experienced this week - forcing the outdoor pool to be closed and our ride to be cancelled on Wednesday evening due to it being sub 40F with wind.  Yesterday morning it was 25F for my run and my hair froze just like I was back in Ohio.  I did manage to get in a good swim workout on Monday and some gym time, so there was that.  

Recap to date:

Mon - 6.2 miles; 2600 yds swimming (indoor pool which is meters)
Tues - 9.5 miles done as 1.5 miles W/u; 3 x 2 miles @tempo pace (7:48 ave); 1.5 miles Cool Down; Weights and core
Wed - Super slow and easy recovery 4 miles with Joe & Susie (10:10 pace).  Cold (25F) and Windy
Thurs - 11.5 miles with 10 @ MP over the hills of Dunwoody - Ave: 8:35 for run
Fri - 6 miles with Joe @10:19 pace which included the 120 Hill (200 ft elevation gain).  Didn't want to leave Joe to run alone in the cold (35F) and dark

Tomorrow I have 6 on the schedule and 20 on Sunday (run the half and then go back and pick up my friend - all done at LR pace)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:After lamenting about the two races I "ran" that I felt were low in numbers, the other "big" or I should say formerly "big" 10K here in Atlanta was last weekend.  This race is 40+ yrs old,  raises money for leukemia research, and is named after a teacher/coach who was pretty well known back in the day.  He was an avid runner and died young of leukemia - the race has been held in his honor ever since.  Back in the day, this race would cap runners at 2000 and the last year I ran it (2011), there were 1617 finishers.  This year there were just shy of 400 runners.  Sad because some major roads are closed for this race and I doubt 400 runners entry fees can pay for that.  Entry fees are relatively cheap here in Atlanta and I don't think that runners will pay an increase.  

Now that being said, the Publix Georgia Marathon and Half Marathon is this Sunday - and lo and behold, the marathon is already sold out! The half is still open, but there are close to 700 registrants already.  Go figure.

Anyway it has been a tough week to get in everything and the biking and swimming have suffered.  Suddenly our clients have decided to screw waiting on 45 and many of the projects that were at a standstill have re-awoken and it was busy, busy, busy with quoting and design this week.  I'm not complaining that I have something work-wise to do, but still all in one week!  Kind of typical though but we usually get this wave of projects earlier in the year.  Add to this crazy workload the winter weather we have experienced this week - forcing the outdoor pool to be closed and our ride to be cancelled on Wednesday evening due to it being sub 40F with wind.  Yesterday morning it was 25F for my run and my hair froze just like I was back in Ohio.  I did manage to get in a good swim workout on Monday and some gym time, so there was that.  

Recap to date:

Mon - 6.2 miles; 2600 yds swimming (indoor pool which is meters)
Tues - 9.5 miles done as 1.5 miles W/u; 3 x 2 miles @tempo pace (7:48 ave); 1.5 miles Cool Down; Weights and core
Wed - Super slow and easy recovery 4 miles with Joe & Susie (10:10 pace).  Cold (25F) and Windy
Thurs - 11.5 miles with 10 @ MP over the hills of Dunwoody - Ave: 8:35 for run
Fri - 6 miles with Joe @10:19 pace which included the 120 Hill (200 ft elevation gain).  Didn't want to leave Joe to run alone in the cold (35F) and dark

Tomorrow I have 6 on the schedule and 20 on Sunday (run the half and then go back and pick up my friend - all done at LR pace)

Not bad for a busy week!  Even your stepback weeks put me to shame.

Glad you didn't leave Joe alone to run in the cold and dark.  Tell him I said 'hi'.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks, Nancy.  Finished up the week with a 21.5 mile run on Sunday.  With Mary Pat and Joe, we paced Maddie (and with the help of her Dad) and her Mom to the split between the marathon and half marathon.  Her Mom took off a bit as I guess we were too slow? but we kept Maddie at roughly a 10:15 pace through 5K and slowly started to settle in around 10 min pace.  Sounds slow, but the course is tough with its hills and it was her first.  We also wanted to create a runner!  Joe, MP and I left Maddie with her Mom at the half/full split and we all continued on.  We picked it up a bit to 9:40ish pace and finished the half marathon.  I ran straight through the finish area grabbing water as I went by and right up to Peachtree St and began my 3.5 mile trek back to the park.  I knew I would have to wait a bit (30-40 min) for Maddie once I got there, but this way I could do a nice 17 mile run in case Maddie and her Mom got off pace, watch the winners go by, and then run or walk or whatever the remaining 5.2 home.  

As it was, I waited maybe an half hour and my phone went off letting me know that Maddie had crossed the 20 mile mark - well just awesome I thought as I just saw the 4 hr pacer go by.  I headed back up the course to catch her.  And there she was all smiles at mile 21.5 and right behind the 4:15 pacer.  She looked strong and remarked that she was a bit tired and that she had lost her Mom at mile 9.  She asked if I was going to run her in or wait for her Mom, and I asked what she wanted - she repeated that my job was to run her in - and so we did.And run we did - there was no more 10 min pace as we were rolling in the 9:40s and over a few more hills including the big one at mile 25.  A couple of times we picked it up a bit, but then she would back down saying her legs were tired, but I also think she was a little scared.  It is scary territory after 20 miles as we all know and you are never sure how you should feel.  We picked up another young girl, Ann Marie along the way, who was struggling a bit and had her stay with us.  Together all three of us ran to the finish.  We passed many a runner and no runner passed us (well except the two guys that we later chicked).  I twas so fulfilling to see her so happy after a tremendous first marathon.  We tried to catch that 4:15 pacer, but I'm sure she will take a final time of 4:16:24!  The best thing was that after she finished - she turned to me and said, "Only 45 min to shave off for that BQ!".  

Mom later finished at 5:22 - so I was super glad that we had the conversation before the race started when I asked what would happen if one of them had a really good day and one had a really bad one.  Maddie answered jokingly that she would leave her slow butt - and oops, she did.

So I finished the week with a 21.5 mile run  - for 58.7 miles for the week.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks, Nancy.  Finished up the week with a 21.5 mile run on Sunday.  With Mary Pat and Joe, we paced Maddie (and with the help of her Dad) and her Mom to the split between the marathon and half marathon.  Her Mom took off a bit as I guess we were too slow? but we kept Maddie at roughly a 10:15 pace through 5K and slowly started to settle in around 10 min pace.  Sounds slow, but the course is tough with its hills and it was her first.  We also wanted to create a runner!  Joe, MP and I left Maddie with her Mom at the half/full split and we all continued on.  We picked it up a bit to 9:40ish pace and finished the half marathon.  I ran straight through the finish area grabbing water as I went by and right up to Peachtree St and began my 3.5 mile trek back to the park.  I knew I would have to wait a bit (30-40 min) for Maddie once I got there, but this way I could do a nice 17 mile run in case Maddie and her Mom got off pace, watch the winners go by, and then run or walk or whatever the remaining 5.2 home.  

As it was, I waited maybe an half hour and my phone went off letting me know that Maddie had crossed the 20 mile mark - well just awesome I thought as I just saw the 4 hr pacer go by.  I headed back up the course to catch her.  And there she was all smiles at mile 21.5 and right behind the 4:15 pacer.  She looked strong and remarked that she was a bit tired and that she had lost her Mom at mile 9.  She asked if I was going to run her in or wait for her Mom, and I asked what she wanted - she repeated that my job was to run her in - and so we did.And run we did - there was no more 10 min pace as we were rolling in the 9:40s and over a few more hills including the big one at mile 25.  A couple of times we picked it up a bit, but then she would back down saying her legs were tired, but I also think she was a little scared.  It is scary territory after 20 miles as we all know and you are never sure how you should feel.  We picked up another young girl, Ann Marie along the way, who was struggling a bit and had her stay with us.  Together all three of us ran to the finish.  We passed many a runner and no runner passed us (well except the two guys that we later chicked).  I twas so fulfilling to see her so happy after a tremendous first marathon.  We tried to catch that 4:15 pacer, but I'm sure she will take a final time of 4:16:24!  The best thing was that after she finished - she turned to me and said, "Only 45 min to shave off for that BQ!".  

Mom later finished at 5:22 - so I was super glad that we had the conversation before the race started when I asked what would happen if one of them had a really good day and one had a really bad one.  Maddie answered jokingly that she would leave her slow butt - and oops, she did.

So I finished the week with a 21.5 mile run  - for 58.7 miles for the week.

Sounds like a fun weekend with friends...and you got a nice run in to!

Maddie had a great first marathon experience.  I love her attitude moving forward.  "Only 45 min to shave off for that BQ!"
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:50 pm

OMG - I ran 228 miles in the month of March - and did not run everyday.  I have not run that many miles in one month in recent (like decade) history.  And I feel good.  That is all.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Sorry I just can't come to grips with the fact that I had a really good race on Monday.  I know I worked hard for it but most everyone I know did not have a good day, and I had a great one. I'm sure Coach Bob was watching me from above especially after he knew how disappointed I was with last year's race.  And the best thing is that I actually ran a negative split with a 1:53:51 first half and a 1:53:35 2nd half.  While that might not look like much, it is a major accomplishment for me not to bleed time at Boston.  

Not sure that I can ever run that well at Boston again, and I'm not sure that I ever have to.  I will most certainly run next year and hopefully the year after that, and after that - until I'm at least 60.  I'd love to get 10 finishes in a row and that was my 6th.  I did re-qualify and will train next winter again in GA with a good friend who qualified in October for her first.  But I'm not sure I'll chase that sub 3:50 again (although I sure would have loved a sub 3:45).  I also know that if well trained with the right belief I can "race" in hot weather.  I did it in 2012 and that convinced me that I could indeed do it again.  Now I just need to stay healthy unlike what I did in 2012 when I tried to hard to keep going.  I'm changing that focus over to the triathlon season now which will lessen the run time an increase the cycling and pool time.  I think that will help.  I am going to run NYC, but now that I already ran a BQ - I'm pretty sure I'll train coming off tri season, but I'm going to enjoy the race.  So here's to a beer at mile 20 again.  Still somewhere on Cloud 9.

Here is the official data from my BAA email:

Michele C. Keane
Net Time3:47:26
Overall11910/26411
In Gender3835/11973 (Female)
In Division42/698 (F55-59 Age Group)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm

You had to overcome last year's race and you did.  I'm not sure how the 66-75 degree spread played with people, but living in Atlanta probably made it a non-event for you.

Go find you a 12 hour ultra to run.  Nice job, Miche1e!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next