365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 8 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Fulfilling on the threat, I ran 8 miles, this morning.  It was 68 degrees and 100% humidity.  Not quite the furnace. After all, it's only March.  Yet, it was still a slog.  Like last Friday's 6.66, there was the same trouble getting past 2 miles.  Having that knowledge helped me to run through it, even though I didn't even know if I would 'run' the whole distance.  1st half was at 14:17, the 2nd half was at 15:09 for an overall pace of 14:43.

The weather is changing, as I type.  The storm that was in the NW blew through an hour ago and we're getting drier.  Wednesday and Thursday's high is to be 66.  As Mark might say, "Ah, Texas."

Not sure what form of exercise I will do tomorrow, but I'm going to do something.

Thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:08 am

ounce wrote:Fulfilling on the threat, I ran 8 miles, this morning.  It was 68 degrees and 100% humidity.  Not quite the furnace. After all, it's only March.  Yet, it was still a slog.  Like last Friday's 6.66, there was the same trouble getting past 2 miles.  Having that knowledge helped me to run through it, even though I didn't even know if I would 'run' the whole distance.  1st half was at 14:17, the 2nd half was at 15:09 for an overall pace of 14:43.

The weather is changing, as I type.  The storm that was in the NW blew through an hour ago and we're getting drier.  Wednesday and Thursday's high is to be 66.  As Mark might say, "Ah, Texas."

Not sure what form of exercise I will do tomorrow, but I'm going to do something.

Thanks for reading.

Nice job getting it done!

Sounds like the pushups are going well also.

The weather is definitely interesting this year...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:06 am

Much obliged, Nancy!

-30-

The weather has become really nice since the rain cleared out.  Tuesday afternoon, it was 66 degrees with a dewpoint of 26 or 21% humidity.  66 is a tad below normal, but Saturday is to be 80.  Normal is 71.

This morning, I ran 10 x ~100 yard sprints.  It was 49 degrees, so really conducive to a good as I can do sprints.  I have no idea of the splits because I was hitting lap and stop quickly after each split.  It generally felt fine.  I did about a 440 as a warm up and cool down.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 pm

ounce wrote:Much obliged, Nancy!

-30-

The weather has become really nice since the rain cleared out.  Tuesday afternoon, it was 66 degrees with a dewpoint of 26 or 21% humidity.  66 is a tad below normal, but Saturday is to be 80.  Normal is 71.

This morning, I ran 10 x ~100 yard sprints.  It was 49 degrees, so really conducive to a good as I can do sprints.  I have no idea of the splits because I was hitting lap and stop quickly after each split.  It generally felt fine.  I did about a 440 as a warm up and cool down.

Nice job on the sprints.  They are a good training tool as long as you don't get carried away and do them to often.  And make sure you allow some recovery time.

What watch are you using?  Can you set it to do automatic intervals so you don't have to hit the lap button each time.  I set a run interval followed by a rest interval and it beeps when I need to speed up and slow down.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Much obliged, Nancy!

-30-

Nice job on the sprints.  They are a good training tool as long as you don't get carried away and do them to often.  And make sure you allow some recovery time.

What watch are you using?  Can you set it to do automatic intervals so you don't have to hit the lap button each time.  I set a run interval followed by a rest interval and it beeps when I need to speed up and slow down.
It's a Garmin 220.  I think it has a 'training' section, but it never crossed my mind to use it for sprints.  My old 305 had that kind of stuff on it.  I'll have to break out the pdf owners manual.

-30-

Last Friday, I ran the Devil's Loop (6.67 miles).  I think that I'm getting the endurance for that distance up to 8 miles.  It's not "just 6.67 miles," yet, but getting there.  I believe that (right or wrong) because the times are getting a little more consistent, even though I don't quite feel like they are on a mile split basis.

I ran it at a 13:34 pace in 46 degree weather.  1st half was 13:37 and the 2nd half was 13:31.  Over the weekend, the quads were pretty stiff.  No doubt the result of doing the sprints and the run, back to back.

improvement.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm

This morning, it was 45 degrees with zero wind.  In fact, there hadn't been any measurable wind between midnight and 3:30 a.m., which indicates to me that a High pressure was parked over the area.

I ran 8 miles.  The overall pace was 13:30, with the 1st half pace at 13:12 and the 2nd half at 13:48.  I was tickled at the first half pace, but the second half showed that I have a ways to go before a consistent pace occurs at the 8 mile level, even in cool weather.  That was a bit discouraging, but I bagged the 8 and that was the goal.  Never hit 14:00+ in a split, so another small victory.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:29 am

Tounce wrote:This morning, it was 45 degrees with zero wind.  In fact, there hadn't been any measurable wind between midnight and 3:30 a.m., which indicates to me that a High pressure was parked over the area.

I ran 8 miles.  The overall pace was 13:30, with the 1st half pace at 13:12 and the 2nd half at 13:48.  I was tickled at the first half pace, but the second half showed that I have a ways to go before a consistent pace occurs at the 8 mile level, even in cool weather.  That was a bit discouraging, but I bagged the 8 and that was the goal.  Never hit 14:00+ in a split, so another small victory.

Thanks for stopping by.

Getting in a run is always a victory!  And a relatively solid 8 miles was a good accomplishment and definitely a victory!  Keep at it...consistency of pace will come with consistency.

I was using a 305 as well but just upgraded to a 920.  I'm sure your 220 will allow you to plug in intervals.  It took a bit of trial and error to figure out how to put them in my 920 but I like the screens better than the old 305.  Plugging in the intervals and the rest helps keep me on track and provides good split data.  Have fun.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:49 pm

You do it through Garmin connect on line.  Go to Training, then Workouts, and then you can create and transfer.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:28 am

And if you've lost your user's manual for your 220, Garmin has an online version of it here:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner220/EN-US/GUID-5E70691C-EE40-4E53-AAEA-7327DC258BAB-homepage.html

I've been lurking, and the potassium conversation was very interesting. I'm going to have to look at that in greater detail.

Good job getting out there. Your runs are are looking good, and I like how you're working in some speed work this time. Starting with 100 meters is a good idea. As you get better at it, you can extend the distance. But that's in the future.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 am

ounce wrote:
Ounce wrote:Mark, I remember a few years back when Hal the other 'conventional minds' were saying to break in a new pair of shoes before a race.  I had a really good feeling pair of Kinvara 3's at 150 miles.  I was reluctant to get a new pair and asked why I should get a pair.  You said, "It sells more shoes."  I wore my 3's for that race.

It's the same with sodium.  We've been taught that you need salt for electrolyte replenishment.  The companies didn't bother to tell us that potassium regulates sodium.  Too little potassium, the body excretes salt to balance out the body.  Take in more sodium because we're supposed to do that!  If it's more than potassium says it should be, then your skin tastes salty, you get salt lines on clothes, and your hair becomes crinkly.  It's science.  Pickle juice is wasted.

Morton's Salt costs 87 cents a pound, which is about the cost of one ounce of potassium citrate powder.

As far as the 100 yard sprints, you said, "As you get better at it,..." define the trigger to move up to 220's?

-30-
Last Thursday, I did 10x100 yard sprints in 55 degree weather.  Seemed to be easier, but I have no clue as to the splits.

Friday morning, it was 65 degrees.  I wanted to do 6.66 miles, but figured out 4 was going to be the max.  It seems, along with the temperature, that doing 50 or so pushups in the evening is not generally conducive to running effectively on the next morning.  It just messes with the upper hamstring and lower glutes.

I did 30 tonight.  We'll see what happens.  It'll be about 70 degrees in the morning.

thanks for the comments and please collect your coupons on the table at the door.

Ha! I completely forgot that. And the shoes worked out just fine, didn't they?

I'm going to have to look into potassium. When it gets warmer and the distance gets longer, my face looks like the edge of a margarita glass.

The rule of thumb for when to go up to 220s would be when you can do the Re100s at a consistent time each time. (When you can do the last repeat as fast as the first, you've pretty much maxed out what you can do with it. Well, short of running them *all* faster. I'd say try the 220s now -- but only start with three of them. Pay attention to the splits for each repeat. As your splits begin to equalize, add a repeat.

Those 100s you've been doing can become "strides" - form drills that help keep you sharp.

+1 on the interval advice that Mark provided.

Back to Michele's instruction on putting the intervals into your watch....I haven't been able to try doing it on Garmin Connect as my Vivosmart is linked and I can't figure out how/if I can link a second watch (the new 920).  Until I have time to play I just enter them directly into the watch in the training section.

Re Potassium.  I got my test results on Friday.  My Potassium was back up to 5.7 (Preferred range 3.6-5.1)  I need to figure out if being that high is an issue and why.  More details on the rest of the test in my blog later.

You're getting in some good runs Doug...and keeping up on the pushups!  Nice!  You'll notice that the core strength that you gain will help with those longer runs!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 am

Oh Geez. I seem to have messed up Ounce's thread here. Admin status gives me the ability to edit any post, and I have sometimes accidentally hit Edit rather than Quote. Looks like I did that with the post below. Then I deleted it thinking I'd go back to the original -- only to realize, too late, that I'd just deleted the original. Derp.

Anyway, thanks to Nancy's quote skills, the post has been saved. Thanks, Nancy!

Mark wrote:
Ounce wrote:Mark, I remember a few years back when Hal the other 'conventional minds' were saying to break in a new pair of shoes before a race.  I had a really good feeling pair of Kinvara 3's at 150 miles.  I was reluctant to get a new pair and asked why I should get a pair.  You said, "It sells more shoes."  I wore my 3's for that race.

It's the same with sodium.  We've been taught that you need salt for electrolyte replenishment.  The companies didn't bother to tell us that potassium regulates sodium.  Too little potassium, the body excretes salt to balance out the body.  Take in more sodium because we're supposed to do that!  If it's more than potassium says it should be, then your skin tastes salty, you get salt lines on clothes, and your hair becomes crinkly.  It's science.  Pickle juice is wasted.

Morton's Salt costs 87 cents a pound, which is about the cost of one ounce of potassium citrate powder.

As far as the 100 yard sprints, you said, "As you get better at it,..." define the trigger to move up to 220's?

-30-
Last Thursday, I did 10x100 yard sprints in 55 degree weather.  Seemed to be easier, but I have no clue as to the splits.

Friday morning, it was 65 degrees.  I wanted to do 6.66 miles, but figured out 4 was going to be the max.  It seems, along with the temperature, that doing 50 or so pushups in the evening is not generally conducive to running effectively on the next morning.  It just messes with the upper hamstring and lower glutes.

I did 30 tonight.  We'll see what happens.  It'll be about 70 degrees in the morning.

thanks for the comments and please collect your coupons on the table at the door.

Ha! I completely forgot that. And the shoes worked out just fine, didn't they?

I'm going to have to look into potassium. When it gets warmer and the distance gets longer, my face looks like the edge of a margarita glass.

The rule of thumb for when to go up to 220s would be when you can do the Re100s at a consistent time each time. (When you can do the last repeat as fast as the first, you've pretty much maxed out what you can do with it. Well, short of running them *all* faster. I'd say try the 220s now -- but only start with three of them. Pay attention to the splits for each repeat. As your splits begin to equalize, add a repeat.

Those 100s you've been doing can become "strides" - form drills that help keep you sharp.

I really ought to be careful playing with this site at 6 a.m.... Sleep

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Good thing those admin bullets of yours are virtual. Shocked 

-30-

So, it's been an interesting 6 weeks or so. 

I suspended Voice Cat because it just wasn't able to generate the cash flow desired and I went back to work on March 8.  While I enjoyed recording the books I narrated and really enjoyed narrating Westerns, that's a niche genre that doesn't compete with the real sellers, Romance or Sci-Fi.  While my voice is very capable with westerns, it's not with Romance books and Sci-fi.  It requires more of a neutral or 'Midwest' voice.

I've created 25 different and unique voices for a Western book, where twang lives.  And I can do twang.

I also edited Western books for proper punctuation (mostly commas), grammar, consistency of theme, and reconstruction where necessary.  Some needed a TON.  One author didn't know when to use 'then' or 'than' and more than you can think of, except for Mark.

So, I've gone back to my niche in the Accounting world which is Project Accounting consulting with the same outfit I was with when I drove back and forth to Corpus Christi during the Summer of 2015.  For Nancy, I'm good at revenue recognition by Percent of Completion and ship when sold plus project analyzing, contract review, and bid review.

I plan on doing this until I can't anymore. 

The downside on the current gig is that I drive 35 miles each way, from side of Houston to the other.  Takes me about 50 minutes to get there and 70 minutes to get back.  So, that's 2 hours out of my day.  I'm finally getting into a rhythm on the drive.  But for what I'm getting paid, it's fine because I will only be out there a couple of months.

As far as running, this has also been affected by the job.  However, I can do some running.  I did set my 220 watch to do 10 x 100 with a 60 second rest.  I should've programmed 90 seconds.  The 10th sprint began causing my right hamstring to cramp as if 4 fingers on each side of the hamstring was moving from the sides to the middle.  I stopped.  It hurt somewhat for a day or two, then was fine.  That was two weeks ago.  Last week, I ran 4 with no troubles.

I'm figuring out how to get back into a pattern of running, again.

So that's been what's going on.  I'll work on posting more.

By the way, I won't be able to track Boston runners, this year.  I'm working, after all. Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:22 am

ounce wrote:Good thing those admin bullets of yours are virtual. Shocked 

-30-

I suspended Voice Cat because it just wasn't able to generate the cash flow desired and I went back to work on March 8.  While I enjoyed recording the books I narrated and really enjoyed narrating Westerns, that's a niche genre that doesn't compete with the real sellers, Romance or Sci-Fi.  While my voice is very capable with westerns, it's not with Romance books and Sci-fi.  It requires more of a neutral or 'Midwest' voice.

I've created 25 different and unique voices for a Western book, where twang lives.  And I can do twang.

I also edited Western books for proper punctuation (mostly commas), grammar, consistency of theme, and reconstruction where necessary.  Some needed a TON.  One author didn't know when to use 'then' or 'than' and more than you can think of, except for Mark.

So, I've gone back to my niche in the Accounting world which is Project Accounting consulting with the same outfit I was with when I drove back and forth to Corpus Christi during the Summer of 2015.  For Nancy, I'm good at revenue recognition by Percent of Completion and ship when sold plus project analyzing, contract review, and bid review.

The downside on the current gig is that I drive 35 miles each way, from side of Houston to the other.  Takes me about 50 minutes to get there and 70 minutes to get back.  So, that's 2 hours out of my day.  I'm finally getting into a rhythm on the drive.  But for what I'm getting paid, it's fine because I will only be out there a couple of months.

As far as running, this has also been affected by the job.  However, I can do some running.  I did set my 220 watch to do 10 x 100 with a 60 second rest.  I should've programmed 90 seconds.  The 10th sprint began causing my right hamstring to cramp as if 4 fingers on each side of the hamstring was moving from the sides to the middle.  I stopped.  It hurt somewhat for a day or two, then was fine.  That was two weeks ago.  Last week, I ran 4 with no troubles.

By the way, I won't be able to track Boston runners, this year.  I'm working, after all. Wink

Whoa, Nelly! That's a big twist in the story of Ounce.

Sorry the voiceover gig didn't work out, but I'm glad you've still got the accounting chops to get it done.

The drive sounds awful, though. Hope you at least have some audio books, and time to work in the running.

Watch out for those repeats! If nine is all you can do without going ka-sproing, then nine is good. Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Good thing those admin bullets of yours are virtual. Shocked 

-30-

Whoa, Nelly! That's a big twist in the story of Ounce.

Sorry the voiceover gig didn't work out, but I'm glad you've still got the accounting chops to get it done.

The drive sounds awful, though. Hope you at least have some audio books, and time to work in the running.

Watch out for those repeats! If nine is all you can do without going ka-sproing, then nine is good.  Approval

I can always go back to it, when I'm old.

On the drive, I do have stuff of which to listen, but not an audio book.  Odd, ain't it, I narrated audio books, but never bought one.  Wrapping myself up with a good book is not something I do.

However, on the way home, congested freeway traffic has caused me to take alternates through neighborhoods that I have never driven through in the 54 years of living here.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am

Oh, I'm also still doing the push ups.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Happy Birthday, Doug!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Happy Birthday, Doug!

+61! and congrats on still doing the pushups.

That's some pretty big life changes...glad to hear that you were able to find a job that suits your skills.  I give you kudos for trying Voice Cat.  Sorry it didn't work out.  Better to have tried it than to wish you had and wonder if you could make it work.

Take your time adjusting to your new schedule and your commute...running will be there when you have time.  I think that it will be as much a part of your life as you want it to be.  Good luck.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Thanks, Miche1e.  Best of luck on Monday!
nkrichards wrote:

That's some pretty big life changes...glad to hear that you were able to find a job that suits your skills.  I give you kudos for trying Voice Cat.  Sorry it didn't work out.  Better to have tried it than to wish you had and wonder if you could make it work.

Take your time adjusting to your new schedule and your commute...running will be there when you have time.  I think that it will be as much a part of your life as you want it to be.  Good luck.
Thanks, Nancy.  I want to get back to running. 

I've never driven so long for a job in Houston.  It's about a 3 month gig or maybe longer.  I told the firm that I want them to keep me busy, so we'll see what happens.  I enjoy it, but the client has conflicts with GAAP.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27 pm

IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!

Dang, woot! and whoopee!! cheers cheers cheers

Hope it's been a great one for you.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:18 am

Mark B wrote:IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!

Dang, woot! and whoopee!!  cheers  cheers  cheers

Hope it's been a great one for you.
Gawl durn it.  Yeah, buddy, it were a gooder.

Ride Ride Ride Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:08 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I've never driven so long for a job in Houston.  It's about a 3 month gig or maybe longer.  I told the firm that I want them to keep me busy, so we'll see what happens.  I enjoy it, but the client has conflicts with GAAP.
I worked mostly in tax preparation rather than actual accounting.  I do have enough training to do the accounting for the farm.  I am a very black and white type person.  I think you have to be to enjoy accounting.  My favorite job was when I sat in the back room and reviewed tax returns prepared by other employees.  My job was to find their mistakes.  I loved it!

Hope you continue to enjoy the job and that they keep you busy...and that you can find time to commute and run a bit.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:57 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I worked mostly in tax preparation rather than actual accounting.  I do have enough training to do the accounting for the farm.  I am a very black and white type person.  I think you have to be to enjoy accounting.  My favorite job was when I sat in the back room and reviewed tax returns prepared by other employees.  My job was to find their mistakes.  I loved it!

Hope you continue to enjoy the job and that they keep you busy...and that you can find time to commute and run a bit.
Yeah, I'm a bean counter.  I liked Tax as well, but the conveyor belt I found myself on wasn't tax, unless it was payroll taxes or sales taxes.  After my first sales tax audit by the State of Texas, I adored being involved in audits to see where the skeletons were and leading the auditors in a different direction.  I had a North Carolina auditor doing one.  There was a $17,000 potential finding in the closet, so I led him in a different direction to where he found and collected $700.  He was happy.  I was happy.

Regarding Barbara Bush, below is a picture from the late 70's of her running in Memorial Park.  Her husband also ran in Memorial Park, even as Vice President.  After tomorrow's funeral (11 a.m. CT) at their church near Memorial Park, the procession will leave the church and drive through Memorial Park before heading out to Texas A&M in College Station to be buried adjacent to the George H. W. Bush School of Public Policy in a small family plot, next to their daughter, Robin, who died at age 3 in 1953 from leukemia.

Term Limits? - Page 8 1524175946
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:58 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Yeah, I'm a bean counter.  I liked Tax as well, but the conveyor belt I found myself on wasn't tax, unless it was payroll taxes or sales taxes.  After my first sales tax audit by the State of Texas, I adored being involved in audits to see where the skeletons were and leading the auditors in a different direction.  I had a North Carolina auditor doing one.  There was a $17,000 potential finding in the closet, so I led him in a different direction to where he found and collected $700.  He was happy.  I was happy.

Regarding Barbara Bush, below is a picture from the late 70's of her running in Memorial Park.  Her husband also ran in Memorial Park, even as Vice President.  After tomorrow's funeral (11 a.m. CT) at their church near Memorial Park, the procession will leave the church and drive through Memorial Park before heading out to Texas A&M in College Station to be buried adjacent to the George H. W. Bush School of Public Policy in a small family plot, next to their daughter, Robin, who died at age 3 in 1953 from leukemia.

It's interesting to hear the stories about famous people and realize that they are just normal people.  It's especially fun when they have a connection to your area.  I would imagine Houston was an interesting place to be last week.

Funny how people are so different.  I'm definitely a math/science person and the rules are quite black and white.  I'm not very tolerant of bending the rules.  Mark is obviously a word person...I couldn't do what he does.  We always laugh...when our kids were young we entertained them during long drives with questions like "If there were 5 ducks on Grampa's pond and 2 flew away how many would be left."  We have friends who played word games with there kids in the car...that never crossed my mind.  I hate social situations where word games or trivia games are suggested.  I did well in school and was often picked early for the spelling bee...I couldn't spell to save my soul!!!! 

Hope Houston settles back down this week and that you're able to find time to run a bit.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:38 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

It's interesting to hear the stories about famous people and realize that they are just normal people.  It's especially fun when they have a connection to your area.  I would imagine Houston was an interesting place to be last week.

Funny how people are so different.  I'm definitely a math/science person and the rules are quite black and white.  I'm not very tolerant of bending the rules.  Mark is obviously a word person...I couldn't do what he does.  We always laugh...when our kids were young we entertained them during long drives with questions like "If there were 5 ducks on Grampa's pond and 2 flew away how many would be left."  We have friends who played word games with there kids in the car...that never crossed my mind.  I hate social situations where word games or trivia games are suggested.  I did well in school and was often picked early for the spelling bee...I couldn't spell to save my soul!!!! 

Hope Houston settles back down this week and that you're able to find time to run a bit.
The Secret Service and Mrs. Bush started planning her funeral some 15 years ago and it seemed to go on without a hitch.  White pearl necklaces and blue dresses were the style here, last week.

When 41 went in to the hospital on Sunday with sepsis, I was thinking, 'Here we go again.' because it takes 41 a few weeks to get over bronchitis.  Septicemia is not an easy thing for a non-93 year old to shake, let alone a 93 year old.  So that caused some concern in the town.  But according to son Jeb, he's supposed to get out Friday.

It seems one of the first things a new president does is to get with the Secret Service to plan his funeral.

One interview of the two of them that I saw had the reporter ask why she likes pearl necklaces so much.  Mrs. Bush replied, "Because it hides the wrinkles!"  To which Mr. Bush added, "She's Wrinkle-stiltskin."

-30-

Yesterday morning, I ran 3 miles in a new pair of Kinvara 8's.  My Garmin was not charged, so I don't know the time.  Probably a good thing.  I do know my cadence gnome was keeping a better cadence than I was, but I managed to be somewhat bull headed and finish.  It was 62 degrees with 100% humidity.  No bad effects afterwards.

I plan on running in the morning.  Enough days have gone by to where I have to start building my base, now.  I should be running more frequently and posting more frequently.

Local weather people (on and off of TV) say that we have actually had a seasonally average Winter and Spring with many days below average and even snow.  I think our first 90 degree day averages to May 6.

Thanks for coming by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:50 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

The Secret Service and Mrs. Bush started planning her funeral some 15 years ago and it seemed to go on without a hitch.  White pearl necklaces and blue dresses were the style here, last week.

When 41 went in to the hospital on Sunday with sepsis, I was thinking, 'Here we go again.' because it takes 41 a few weeks to get over bronchitis.  Septicemia is not an easy thing for a non-93 year old to shake, let alone a 93 year old.  So that caused some concern in the town.  But according to son Jeb, he's supposed to get out Friday.

It seems one of the first things a new president does is to get with the Secret Service to plan his funeral.

One interview of the two of them that I saw had the reporter ask why she likes pearl necklaces so much.  Mrs. Bush replied, "Because it hides the wrinkles!"  To which Mr. Bush added, "She's Wrinkle-stiltskin."

-30-

Yesterday morning, I ran 3 miles in a new pair of Kinvara 8's.  My Garmin was not charged, so I don't know the time.  Probably a good thing.  I do know my cadence gnome was keeping a better cadence than I was, but I managed to be somewhat bull headed and finish.  It was 62 degrees with 100% humidity.  No bad effects afterwards.

I plan on running in the morning.  Enough days have gone by to where I have to start building my base, now.  I should be running more frequently and posting more frequently.

Local weather people (on and off of TV) say that we have actually had a seasonally average Winter and Spring with many days below average and even snow.  I think our first 90 degree day averages to May 6.

Thanks for coming by.

I imagine the Bush family are pretty much royalty in Houston, aren't they? Glad that H.W. is bouncing back, but after such a long and close marriage, I'd be surprised if he makes it all that much longer. Sad, but sweet.

Glad you're back to trying morning running, though it's annoying about losing base. It'll come back. 

Surprising about the forecast. Our summer outlook seems to be warmer and drier than usual. Fire weather. Ugh.

We got up to 86 today, I think. It'll be in the mid-50s tomorrow, with rain. Gotta love spring.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next