365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 9 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Happy Birthday, Doug!
Thanks, Miche1e.  Best of luck on Monday!
nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Happy Birthday, Doug!

+61! and congrats on still doing the pushups.

That's some pretty big life changes...glad to hear that you were able to find a job that suits your skills.  I give you kudos for trying Voice Cat.  Sorry it didn't work out.  Better to have tried it than to wish you had and wonder if you could make it work.

Take your time adjusting to your new schedule and your commute...running will be there when you have time.  I think that it will be as much a part of your life as you want it to be.  Good luck.
Thanks, Nancy.  I want to get back to running. 

I've never driven so long for a job in Houston.  It's about a 3 month gig or maybe longer.  I told the firm that I want them to keep me busy, so we'll see what happens.  I enjoy it, but the client has conflicts with GAAP.
I worked mostly in tax preparation rather than actual accounting.  I do have enough training to do the accounting for the farm.  I am a very black and white type person.  I think you have to be to enjoy accounting.  My favorite job was when I sat in the back room and reviewed tax returns prepared by other employees.  My job was to find their mistakes.  I loved it!

Hope you continue to enjoy the job and that they keep you busy...and that you can find time to commute and run a bit.
Yeah, I'm a bean counter.  I liked Tax as well, but the conveyor belt I found myself on wasn't tax, unless it was payroll taxes or sales taxes.  After my first sales tax audit by the State of Texas, I adored being involved in audits to see where the skeletons were and leading the auditors in a different direction.  I had a North Carolina auditor doing one.  There was a $17,000 potential finding in the closet, so I led him in a different direction to where he found and collected $700.  He was happy.  I was happy.

Regarding Barbara Bush, below is a picture from the late 70's of her running in Memorial Park.  Her husband also ran in Memorial Park, even as Vice President.  After tomorrow's funeral (11 a.m. CT) at their church near Memorial Park, the procession will leave the church and drive through Memorial Park before heading out to Texas A&M in College Station to be buried adjacent to the George H. W. Bush School of Public Policy in a small family plot, next to their daughter, Robin, who died at age 3 in 1953 from leukemia.

Term Limits? - Page 9 1524175946
It's interesting to hear the stories about famous people and realize that they are just normal people.  It's especially fun when they have a connection to your area.  I would imagine Houston was an interesting place to be last week.

Funny how people are so different.  I'm definitely a math/science person and the rules are quite black and white.  I'm not very tolerant of bending the rules.  Mark is obviously a word person...I couldn't do what he does.  We always laugh...when our kids were young we entertained them during long drives with questions like "If there were 5 ducks on Grampa's pond and 2 flew away how many would be left."  We have friends who played word games with there kids in the car...that never crossed my mind.  I hate social situations where word games or trivia games are suggested.  I did well in school and was often picked early for the spelling bee...I couldn't spell to save my soul!!!! 

Hope Houston settles back down this week and that you're able to find time to run a bit.
The Secret Service and Mrs. Bush started planning her funeral some 15 years ago and it seemed to go on without a hitch.  White pearl necklaces and blue dresses were the style here, last week.

When 41 went in to the hospital on Sunday with sepsis, I was thinking, 'Here we go again.' because it takes 41 a few weeks to get over bronchitis.  Septicemia is not an easy thing for a non-93 year old to shake, let alone a 93 year old.  So that caused some concern in the town.  But according to son Jeb, he's supposed to get out Friday.

It seems one of the first things a new president does is to get with the Secret Service to plan his funeral.

One interview of the two of them that I saw had the reporter ask why she likes pearl necklaces so much.  Mrs. Bush replied, "Because it hides the wrinkles!"  To which Mr. Bush added, "She's Wrinkle-stiltskin."

-30-

Yesterday morning, I ran 3 miles in a new pair of Kinvara 8's.  My Garmin was not charged, so I don't know the time.  Probably a good thing.  I do know my cadence gnome was keeping a better cadence than I was, but I managed to be somewhat bull headed and finish.  It was 62 degrees with 100% humidity.  No bad effects afterwards.

I plan on running in the morning.  Enough days have gone by to where I have to start building my base, now.  I should be running more frequently and posting more frequently.

Local weather people (on and off of TV) say that we have actually had a seasonally average Winter and Spring with many days below average and even snow.  I think our first 90 degree day averages to May 6.

Thanks for coming by.

I imagine the Bush family are pretty much royalty in Houston, aren't they? Glad that H.W. is bouncing back, but after such a long and close marriage, I'd be surprised if he makes it all that much longer. Sad, but sweet.

Glad you're back to trying morning running, though it's annoying about losing base. It'll come back. 

Surprising about the forecast. Our summer outlook seems to be warmer and drier than usual. Fire weather. Ugh.

We got up to 86 today, I think. It'll be in the mid-50s tomorrow, with rain. Gotta love spring.
Yes, Mark, 41 and Barbara are #1 in Houston.  After she died, the Houston mayor dubbed her the First Lady of Houston.  She has many elementary schools in the Houston area named after her.  41 has a high school named after him in the adjoining county and the big airport (IAH) was named for him.  

#2 in Houston is Jim McIngvale, also known as 'Mattress Mack."  He received nationwide kudos after Harvey, but we already knew he was that type.  You might read his Wiki entry.

#3 would be  J.J. Watt, who plays for the Texans.  Again, J.J. was already known as a very nice person and a helluva football player, but his initial tweet to HOPE to get $200,000 for Harvey help ballooned to $37M.  A lot of the money stayed in the Houston area, but he also distributed to Beaumont area (90 miles east) and down in the Corpus Christi area, where it made landfall in Rockport which is across Corpus Christi Bay from Corpus.  He's back from a season ending leg injury, this season.  But even if he gets hurt again and retires, he'll still be much beloved.

As far as running, it is what it is, but I believe I can attain my 20 mile per week base by mid-July.

86 degrees up there?  Wow.  We hit 86 degrees yesterday, too!  Hottest day so far, this year.  It was 57 degrees, this morning, so that was nice.

I ran 3 miles, this morning.  The watch was working and I ran 3 averaging 13:58, which is okay.  It is what it is and I will either get the stamina in that pace range or faster.  During the summer mornings, heat increases my pace by a 60-90 seconds/mile.

Regarding weather, there are 3 types of Houston summers, hot, hotter, and hotter 'nell.  So, we'll have a normal season there, too.

Thanks, Mark.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 am

This morning, it was 63 degrees with 100% humidity.  Seasonal.

I'm going to try to set up Mondays as the long run, Tuesdays as a short run, Wednesdays as speed, and Fridays as sorta long run, when I ramp up the daily mileage enough to distinguish Fridays as longer than Tuesdays.

Last week, I ran 3 miles twice.  So, in keeping with the letter and spirit of a long run, I ran 4 miles, this morning.  Yup, 4 miles.  By golly, even though the cadence started slipping, I didn't feel like I was dragging.  If this was my first marathon training program, I'd think....pshaw, I'll be able to hit 20 before the end of May!!!   Laughing

I ran it at an overall 14 minute pace.  After the run, I laid on a towel in the living room to dry off before showering.  I sat up on the floor and was hit fairly quickly with the dizziness that only comes with running, summer humidity, and lack of sodium.  Well, it must be that time of year to supplement with sodium.  So, I took a 1/4 tsp of salt with water.  Easy peasy.  Week 1 of base building has begun.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:31 pm

If you find this funny, God help you.  If you find this humorous, that's fine...you're safe.

Term Limits? - Page 9 Meteorologist

I found it funny. geek
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 am

God help me.geek

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 01, 2018 10:06 am

Mark B wrote:God help me.geek

I didn't even know about the website until someone on the KHOU Weather Forum (for meteorologists, weather geeks, and wannabe weather geeks) mentioned the NWS midnight shift noted that cartoon on his Forecast Discussion on April 26.  I abbreviated a lot of the discussion below.

FXUS64 KHGX 260852
AFDHGX

[url=https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=Area Forecast Discussion]Area Forecast Discussion[/url]
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
352 AM CDT Thu Apr 26 2018

.DISCUSSION...

.LONG TERM [Sunday Night Through Thursday]...

In addition to the surface high moving off, the weekend`s ridging
aloft should also be moving on for early next week. This will help
deepen the low level onshore flow, improving moisture return. It
will also set us up for a "string-of-pearl" chain of vort maxes to
cross the area early next week. Because of this, we`ll see
increasing clouds and introduce some [url=https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=slight chance]slight chance[/url] PoPs as early
as Monday. While I`m reasonably certain that we`ll squeeze some
showers and maybe even some storms out of this setup at some point
in the first half of the week, I have basically zero confidence
in timing out such a fragile setup this far out. The result is a
bunch of [url=https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=slight chance]slight chance[/url] and low end chance PoPs splattered
throughout the entire first half of the week. In other words...the
most recent XKCD comic (Number 1985, for posterity) is
disturbingly appropriate to my situation tonight and I`ll be
keeping my eye out for security for the rest of my shift...

Another more significant chance of rain looks to be on tap just
beyond the end of this forecast period. Guidance is very gung ho
on rain, and if this period were a part of the official forecast,
I`d undercut it significantly on PoPs. This is partly due to
range, and partly due to the underperformance of the last couple
of fronts. Let`s be honest, here - the nascent beginning of a
seabreeze pattern, some more spacing between fronts, more
underwhelming fronts, and the fact that it`s late April...We`re
not there yet, and there`s still some springtime to be had in the
coming weeks, but it`s time to brace yourselves, as summer is
coming.

&&

$$

NEAR TERM...Luchs
SHORT TERM...Luchs
LONG TERM...Luchs
AVIATION...Huffman
MARINE...42
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 pm

ounce wrote:

I didn't even know about the website until someone on the KHOU Weather Forum (for meteorologists, weather geeks, and wannabe weather geeks) mentioned the NWS midnight shift noted that cartoon on his Forecast Discussion on April 26.  I abbreviated a lot of the discussion below.

FXUS64 KHGX 260852
AFDHGX

[url=https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=Area Forecast Discussion]Area Forecast Discussion[/url]

.DISCUSSION...

increasing clouds and introduce some [url=https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=slight chance]slight chance[/url] PoPs as early
bunch of [url=https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=slight chance]slight chance[/url] and low end chance PoPs splattered

coming.

&&

$$

NEAR TERM...Luchs
SHORT TERM...Luchs
LONG TERM...Luchs
AVIATION...Huffman
MARINE...42

Ha. That's perfect. The nerds at the NWS office in Portland have Larry the Weather Chicken, who they haul out of the office to sit in the snow sometimes, or maybe they have him monitoring a display, or just supervising. My kind of people!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

FXUS64 KHGX 260852
AFDHGX

.DISCUSSION...

coming.

&&

$$

NEAR TERM...Luchs
SHORT TERM...Luchs
LONG TERM...Luchs
AVIATION...Huffman
MARINE...42

Ha. That's perfect. The nerds at the NWS office in Portland have Larry the Weather Chicken, who they haul out of the office to sit in the snow sometimes, or maybe they have him monitoring a display, or just supervising. My kind of people!
Ah, Larry the Weather Chicken.  Maybe they have him in a cage with a grid of possible weather outcomes that he walks on.  And the Mets in the office bet on which Larry will predict will happen the next day, e.g. Sunny, Cloudy, Snowmageddon, when Larry poops on it.

I hope the cage is outside for that contest.

-30-

Friday, it was 73 degrees and I ran 4 miles.  The cadence was of a plodding nature starting about the 1/2 mile point, but I decided to do the four miles no matter if the sun rose and set before I finished.  Luckily, I finished before the sun rose. A split or two were in the 15's.

Over the weekend, we had a cool front pass through which brought in some drier air.  It's odd to have one come through in May and it should be the last one until late September.  With the drier air comes a quicker heating of the air.  Consequently, we're supposed to hit 90 degrees for the first time since October.  Yeah, that's what I thought.  The statistical average for the first 90 degree day is May 7, hence more evidence for an average Spring.  I'm all for average!  KEEP HOUSTON AVERAGE!

This morning, it was 64 degrees and I ran 4 miles.  I was closer to running with the gnome than on Friday.  9 degrees will do that for me.  Overall pace was under 14 and it wasn't as difficult to get through the last 2 miles than over the past couple of weeks.  So, I'll hope it's because of stamina than 9 degrees cooler.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon May 07, 2018 12:00 pm

The important thing is that you're getting out there and getting some running under your belt again.  Slow is better than nothing...and actually probably better than to fast.

Good to hear you're out there and doing well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 10, 2018 7:04 am

nkrichards wrote:The important thing is that you're getting out there and getting some running under your belt again.  Slow is better than nothing...and actually probably better than to fast.

Good to hear you're out there and doing well.
Yup, I'm out there with no niggles.  If slow paid the bills, I'd be debt free.  Laughing

Thanks, ma'am.

-30-

Yesterday, I went out and plodded 4 miles.  Although for the last half mile, I surprised myself and was able to run in cadence.  I lost cadence after the first half mile, then plodded up to the last half mile.  My garmin was lacking adequate battery power, so using it as a basic watch, I figured the 4 miles took 56 minutes, which is 14 minute pace.  That would tend to indicate my plodding is not as slow as the plodding in prior runs.

I'll get out tomorrow and do 4 again.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat May 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Friday morning, it was 71 degrees.  I got out there and plodded 4 miles, giving me 12 for the week.  The time was 58 minutes and change, about 2 minutes slower than Wednesday's 4.  No niggles.

I'll be back at it on Monday.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 pm

ounce wrote:Friday morning, it was 71 degrees.  I got out there and plodded 4 miles, giving me 12 for the week.  The time was 58 minutes and change, about 2 minutes slower than Wednesday's 4.  No niggles.

Still running niggle free?

And how's the job and commute going?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Making progress! No niggles is good niggles.

Oh, Larry is a stuffed animal, so the whole pooping idea -- which genius -- would be a little hard to carry off. What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Friday morning, it was 71 degrees.  I got out there and plodded 4 miles, giving me 12 for the week.  The time was 58 minutes and change, about 2 minutes slower than Wednesday's 4.  No niggles.

Still running niggle free?

And how's the job and commute going?
I am still running niggle free, Nancy.

The job is still going on.  It's end date has now been pushed out twice from the original date of two weeks ago to today.  Then on Monday, it was extended to the end of June.  I am to train the freshly graduated accountant in the ways of project accounting and projects in general AND map out the company's process on paying commissions.  I don't know squat about commissions.  But I can be a fresh eye.

The good and bad part about this change is that I'm based at the corporate office which is a 25 minute drive.  The good part is of course the drive.  The bad part is being so available at the corporate office, which means I can't shrug off emails like I could 40 miles away.  "Hey, Doug, can you come sit in on this meeting?"  But sleeping an hour more each day does have its benefits.  I will still have to go out to the other location from time to time.

Thanks for asking.
Mark B wrote:Making progress! No niggles is good niggles.

Oh, Larry is a stuffed animal, so the whole pooping idea -- which genius -- would be a little hard to carry off. What a Face
Thanks, Mark.  Yes, on both.  It was notably Portland Weird to have had a live chicken at NWS.

-30-

I didn't run on Monday because I had a lot on my plate for this week, before finding out that this wasn't going to be my last week after all.  On both Wednesday and Friday, I ran 4 miles, so it is 8 miles for the week.  Both days were 72 degrees and both runs were an average pace in the low 14's.  I'm a bit blahed about the plodding, but I'm playing the long game.

Separately, I am putting my '05 Chevy Malibu into 'hospice care.'  The 162K mile car that I've had for 12-1/2 years has many different oil leaks and would require about $3K in labor to fix (that's about 22 hours).  So as long as I check the oil weekly and put 30W oil for older engines in it, I can drive it until it gives up the ghost.  While it was in the shop, it got it's first tune up, but that was before I found out about the oil leaks.  It was running fine before the tune up, but I figured 162K miles was long enough on the original spark plugs.

I have another car, so the Malibu can take a break from time to time.  I enjoy both cars, but the other car is my favorite.  The Malibu has never left me stranded.  The spare tire has never been on the ground.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Good to hear that you're still running niggle free!

And I guess a job is a job...could be worse.  Sounds like an opportunity to learn something new which I always enjoy.

As far as "hospice care" for the Malibu...I guess like all of us at some point the time comes and we just realize that's our best option.  Of course the later the better!!!!!

Happy running...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

And the much later it comes, would be fine with me.  On Memorial Day, I change the oil in both cars.  Usually, I had let a dealer change the oil in the Malibu because it was cheaper than buying the oil.  Now that I need to put an oil for 'higher mileage' engines, I need to change it myself.  

I've been changing oil for all the cars that I've ever owned since college.  But this was the first time that I've ever used an impact wrench to bust the drain plug bolt loose.  The last mechanic that touched it must've used some serious muscle to make sure it didn't get away.  It took me twice as long to do the Malibu than it did to do the other car.  In addition to most of the oil added back, I put in a nine ounce bottle of a seal and gasket conditioner made by Bars Leak.  So far, the frequency and diameter of an oil puddle is much reduced.  The puddle had been the diameter of an english muffin.  

As far as running, I've increased the distance by a whopping 25%, from 4 to 5 miles, since Memorial Day.  Additionally, yesterday I threw caution to the wind and ran the Devil's Loop, or 6.66 miles.  I think not running on Friday because of work caused my first 3 mile splits to all be 13:29, 13:20, and 13:58 at 73 degrees.  Still with no niggles.

Seems like plodding follows a Monday run, so I'll see what happens in the morning.  I might go to the theater and run the parking garage for some hill work.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:27 pm

"Naw, don't get up.  Sleep an extra hour.  You're tired enough to justify it!" came the voice of Sleepy Sam (Fast Freddy's distant cousin).

This time, I did not listen.  Guess I am getting into training season.

It was 76 degrees, this morning, with a nice south wind 60 feet up in the parking garage.  I ran the 1.25 miles at a 13:11 pace, which really shocked the b-jeebers out of me because I just don't run that in the Summer, especially two days after running 6.66.  I guess the new battalion of muscle cells are online, now.  I, then, ran the parking garage twice, with the second time a real huffin' and a puffin' experience.

The return 1.25 mile was at a 14:13 pace, which was a wee bit faster than I expected.  I expect a plod, but got a fast plod.

Overall, a good time was had by all of me.  Still niggle-free and I'm still doing the push ups.  I usually will break them up into 3 or 4 sets.  A couple of times, I got behind and had to do many, many to get caught up.  225 in one day, broken into sets of 20 was the most.

Don't forget to get your ticket punched for the raffle, later on.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 pm

ounce wrote:"Naw, don't get up.  Sleep an extra hour.  You're tired enough to justify it!" came the voice of Sleepy Sam (Fast Freddy's distant cousin).

It was 76 degrees, this morning, with a nice south wind 60 feet up in the parking garage.  I ran the 1.25 miles at a 13:11 pace, which really shocked the b-jeebers out of me because I just don't run that in the Summer, especially two days after running 6.66.  I guess the new battalion of muscle cells are online, now.  I, then, ran the parking garage twice, with the second time a real huffin' and a puffin' experience.

The return 1.25 mile was at a 14:13 pace, which was a wee bit faster than I expected.  I expect a plod, but got a fast plod.

Overall, a good time was had by all of me.  Still niggle-free and I'm still doing the push ups.  I usually will break them up into 3 or 4 sets.  A couple of times, I got behind and had to do many, many to get caught up.  225 in one day, broken into sets of 20 was the most.

I think I should trade with you...Sleepy Sam can take up residence here in Central Oregon and Fast Freddy can move to Houston.  Neither Mark nor I are interested in hosting Fast Freddy at this point in training.

Nice job on the run...I think the push ups (core strength) are paying off...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:04 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:"Naw, don't get up.  Sleep an extra hour.  You're tired enough to justify it!" came the voice of Sleepy Sam (Fast Freddy's distant cousin).

I think I should trade with you...Sleepy Sam can take up residence here in Central Oregon and Fast Freddy can move to Houston.  Neither Mark nor I are interested in hosting Fast Freddy at this point in training.

I'm fine with that swap.  I'll turn Fast Freddy into Frustrated Freddy.  And yes, the push ups are helping the core, but I could have a better technique and work on doing them in 2 sets rather than 3 or 4.  I think I'll work on doing actually 100 per day, rather than 40, then 160 the next day, etc.  Just have to set my mind to do it.

-30-

The mind is like a boss that wants the impossible from his workers.  

I wanted to do 6.66 again, which would be a feat to do 6.66 twice in one week.  (Sad to have to type such a statement, but it's today's reality.)  So, I got out there and started getting fatigued within a quarter mile.  I'm hoping it was the parking garage work on Wednesday and the legs had not recovered.  I kept going.  The left shin was 'splinting' but that resolved itself by mile 1.  I was hoping by mile 2 that everything was warmed up and I could keep going.

Not today.  I plodded 2 miles, turned around, and walked home.  I'll try it again on Monday.

Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I'm fine with that swap.  I'll turn Fast Freddy into Frustrated Freddy.  And yes, the push ups are helping the core, but I could have a better technique and work on doing them in 2 sets rather than 3 or 4.  I think I'll work on doing actually 100 per day, rather than 40, then 160 the next day, etc.  Just have to set my mind to do it.

-30-

I wanted to do 6.66 again, which would be a feat to do 6.66 twice in one week.  (Sad to have to type such a statement, but it's today's reality.)  So, I got out there and started getting fatigued within a quarter mile.  I'm hoping it was the parking garage work on Wednesday and the legs had not recovered.  I kept going.  The left shin was 'splinting' but that resolved itself by mile 1.  I was hoping by mile 2 that everything was warmed up and I could keep going.

Not today.  I plodded 2 miles, turned around, and walked home.  I'll try it again on Monday.

Keep at it Doug.  Maybe a 2 mile plod and a walk home was what your body needed.  It's sometimes hard to admit that your body can't do what your mind (training plan) requests from it.  My triathlon training was a real learning experience.  I was much more flexible with my training and more concerned with just getting the workouts in rather than stressing about pace etc.  I enjoyed it more and did fine on race day.

Monday is a new day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:01 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

-30-

Keep at it Doug.  Maybe a 2 mile plod and a walk home was what your body needed.  It's sometimes hard to admit that your body can't do what your mind (training plan) requests from it.  My triathlon training was a real learning experience.  I was much more flexible with my training and more concerned with just getting the workouts in rather than stressing about pace etc.  I enjoyed it more and did fine on race day.

Monday is a new day.
^-What she said.

When you're doing the things we do with the expectation of doing them pretty much as long as our bodies will allow, we have to understand that there will be periods that are less encouraging than others. Life happens. Bodies rebel a little. Work intervenes. But keep at it. The payoff is more than worth the moments of anxiety we feel when we think we aren't quite measuring up to our expectations for ourselves. Wherever it is we're going, we'll get there.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:16 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

-30-

Monday is a new day.
^-What she said.

When you're doing the things we do with the expectation of doing them pretty much as long as our bodies will allow, we have to understand that there will be periods that are less encouraging than others. Life happens. Bodies rebel a little. Work intervenes. But keep at it. The payoff is more than worth the moments of anxiety we feel when we think we aren't quite measuring up to our expectations for ourselves. Wherever it is we're going, we'll get there.
Dang, Mark.  Reading that made me think of lava lamps, black light posters, the obligatory Led Zeppelin avocado poster, and a Farrah Fawcett poster with Ina Goda Davida playing in the background (but no finger cymbals. And incense would make the smoke alarm activate).

-30-

Monday was a new day.  Unfortunately, I woke up too late to run my desired 8 miles (6.66 was last Monday).  So, this morning, I woke up at the appointed 3:15 a.m. and ran for 2 miles, then plodded for 6 more for a total of 8.  It was 79 degrees and almost felt like a wet sauna, as I walked out the door.  At the end, I was dripping, but not to the degree that the inner soles of the shoes were separating from the shoe due to sweat.  That's an August thing.  I wrung out my headband 3 times on the way back.

One thing that I noticed on the 5 mile runs a couple of weeks ago was my breathing has settled down into a normal running type of breathing.  That has always been a measure of endurance for me.  The next measure of endurance is when my hip flexors start to whine.  My first 6.66 run produced some of said whining with 1 mile to go.  That told me I was in the sweet spot on endurance.  This morning, I had no whining.

O, happy day.

I have a movie to recommend.  "Book Club" is presently in theaters, but you're not going to lose any of the cinematic value by waiting for it to come out on DVD.  It's more or less a baby boomer romantic comedy.  Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen, and Mary Steenburgen star with Don Johnson and Andy Garcia along, as well.  Richard Dreyfuss is even in it.  The book '50 Shades of Gray' is their book for the movie.  Rated PG-13, 1 hr 44 minutes.  Children of the teenage sphere probably wouldn't go for old people talking about sex and why are they talking about something they can't do anymore?  Kids would inhibit their parents from laughing a lot during the movie, anyway.  One line I remember from the movie has one of the women describing the vagina as the "Cave of vanishing dreams."  Lots of humor.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 am

First off, I'd like to congratulate 1L on her side hustle of conducting surveys.  Please note the slippery way she spells her side hustle name.  https://www.theonion.com/study-finds-americans-do-most-financial-planning-when-f-1819580112

Well done, 2L-noA. Cool

-30-

This morning was the usual warm 'n humid morning, somewhere around 76 degrees.  No wind, but it didn't seem to matter, today.  I was going to shoot for 5 miles, this morning, which would be better than last Friday.  I got out of bed a few minutes later than planned, but it was a minimal amount.  

I ended up doing 4 miles because I just wasn't sure that I could 'run' the extra mile.  4 miles was good enough.  In fact, I figured if I cut off one mile, that should mean I could run the 4th mile faster.  I said to my self, "Self, you NEVER do that in the summer.  You're content with just finishing what you set out to run!"

It's true.  In the summer, I'm pleased not squishing in my shoes and not squeezing the sweat out of my headband four times during a run.

Yet, I ran the last mile a whopping 20 seconds faster than mile 3.  Overall pace was around 14:14, which is not too bad.  Still no niggles.

Today is my last day at my project accounting gig.  I ended up being here 3 months and a week.  Not bad, considering it was to only last 4-6 weeks.  Now, I just wait for the next gig.  Y'all have a nice weekend and we'll see you here, next week.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:13 pm

No work...more time to run.  Running

Glad I don't have to deal with your heat and humidity.  Be careful out there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:55 pm

My 2Ls - no A pseudonym - cute!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm

nkrichards wrote:No work...more time to run.  Running

Glad I don't have to deal with your heat and humidity.  Be careful out there.
More like, No work...more time to sleep and the same time for running.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:My 2Ls - no A pseudonym - cute!
Your alter ego, 2L...er, 1L.

-30-

Monday morning, I got out there with the hopes of trying 9 miles (actually 8.79).  But, the weather folks were saying that a few days of rain was going to start on Monday morning before sunrise, so I got up, looked at radar and figure I had about two hours and fifteen minutes before the rain started.  I started with two hours to go and, sadly, I started at a slow pace that became plodding.  But I made 8 miles without it raining.

However, as I was walking back to the apt, it started raining.  LOL, I hadn't factored in the 5 minute walk.

Still no niggles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next