365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 23 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Walk: About 1 mile

Walked around venue for band competition, schlepped large (and  heavy) bongo drums around, too.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:48 pm

Hope the weather wasn't to wet for the band competition.  Sounds like it was a nice cross training day!

We ended up with a quarter of an inch of rain...not a lot but we'll take what we can get.

Looks like comfortable training weather this week and if it's not we can always stay inside and do our core work. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:03 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hope the weather wasn't to wet for the band competition.  Sounds like it was a nice cross training day!

We ended up with a quarter of an inch of rain...not a lot but we'll take what we can get.

Looks like comfortable training weather this week and if it's not we can always stay inside and do our core work. Smile

Hi Nancy! It threatened rain, but it only drizzled a little bit. Which means the ziplock bags I'd prepared for my kid's iPhone were instantly ditched. Guess it was too dorky... sigh.

The cross-training was intense. I have to work on Saturday but can sometimes show up for a preliminary competition, which means we get pressed into service moving drums and sound equipment. I hauled a couple of bongo drums quite a ways.

Random complaint: One problem with a short visit to a competition is that they charge $15 a head to get in. And they wonder why parents don't come and cheer the kids on? Sheesh.

Anyway, the last competition is in Eugene on Oct. 31. (At Autzen Stadium) I took the day off, so we can swing by and visit my stepmom when not serving as a sherpa. That event we'll gladly pay for. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Trail Run: 3.2 miles

Weather: Overcast and muggy. 58 degrees. Gear: Lone Peaks, shorts, T, jacket (thought it would rain, but it held off) Fluid: water in handheld.

Had a bunch of competing chores competing for attention this morning but I forced myself out the door to at least get some sort of run in today. I opted for the trails near the house.

I was distracted during the run but surprised -- pleasantly -- by how low my HR stayed on the early uphills. Those pounding ups and downs seem to be paying off! Things started to drift after a couple of miles, and I had to walk a few inclines, so I have plenty of room for improvement. (And when I relaxed running here? Holy cow.)

I had a pause for texts right before starting the final descent back toward the car, so I decided that it'd be fun to push the pace a little on the downhill. "A little." Riiggghhht. I bombed it. I was in the 8s, 7s and even the 6s. I had to slow for the switchbacks, of course, but that probably helped keep me from totally spiking my heart rate. (I got up into the 150s.) I DID spike my HR in the climb back up from the creek to the car, pushing it hard up the 75 meters so so. That got my HR up to 173. Not bad...

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 129. Max: 173

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Walk: 3.4 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool. 61°

The weather was cool and pleasant, so I extended my lunchtime walk a bit.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Mark B wrote:Trail Run: 3.2 miles

Weather: Overcast and muggy. 58 degrees. Gear: Lone Peaks, shorts, T, jacket (thought it would rain, but it held off) Fluid: water in handheld.

Had a bunch of competing chores competing for attention this morning but I forced myself out the door to at least get some sort of run in today. I opted for the trails near the house.

I was distracted during the run but surprised -- pleasantly -- by how low my HR stayed on the early uphills. Those pounding ups and downs seem to be paying off! Things started to drift after a couple of miles, and I had to walk a few inclines, so I have plenty of room for improvement. (And when I relaxed running here? Holy cow.)

I had a pause for texts right before starting the final descent back toward the car, so I decided that it'd be fun to push the pace a little on the downhill. "A little." Riiggghhht. I bombed it. I was in the 8s, 7s and even the 6s. I had to slow for the switchbacks, of course, but that probably helped keep me from totally spiking my heart rate. (I got up into the 150s.) I DID spike my HR in the climb back up from the creek to the car, pushing it hard up the 75 meters so so. That got my HR up to 173. Not bad...

Certainly your heart does not have a reciprocal agreement with your feet.  Had that agreement been in place, your face would not look 'normal' as a result of a intentional catching an object to make you act like a rolling stone.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:42 pm

ounce wrote:

I was distracted during the run but surprised -- pleasantly -- by how low my HR stayed on the early uphills. Those pounding ups and downs seem to be paying off! Things started to drift after a couple of miles, and I had to walk a few inclines, so I have plenty of room for improvement. (And when I get to the point to where I can run relaxed here no matter the slope? Holy cow.)

Certainly your heart does not have a reciprocal agreement with your feet.  Had that agreement been in place, your face would not look 'normal' as a result of a intentional catching an object to make you act like a rolling stone.

Heh. Yes, I suppose there's some truth to that. I should count my blessings that I'm not having to count my teeth. What a Face

I also notice that my post had more than it's usual share of partially complete sentences. Sheesh. Guess I was a bit distracted.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

I was distracted during the run but surprised -- pleasantly -- by how low my HR stayed on the early uphills. Those pounding ups and downs seem to be paying off! Things started to drift after a couple of miles, and I had to walk a few inclines, so I have plenty of room for improvement. (And when I get to the point to where I can run relaxed here no matter the slope? Holy cow.)

Heh. Yes, I suppose there's some truth to that. I should count my blessings that I'm not having to count my teeth. What a Face

I also notice that my post had more than it's usual share of partially complete sentences. Sheesh. Guess I was a bit distracted.
Good that your boss doesn't troll these boards!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:05 pm

It is fun to pick up the pace once in a while isn't it...I miss it!

Still no significant rain for us.  The quarter inch we had blew away in the wind before it did any good!  Doesn't sound like you're getting much either.  Maybe we can borrow some from Doug. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:It is fun to pick up the pace once in a while isn't it...I miss it!

Still no significant rain for us.  The quarter inch we had blew away in the wind before it did any good!  Doesn't sound like you're getting much either.  Maybe we can borrow some from Doug. Smile

Not much rain here, either. Maybe more in a few days, but still no extended wet spell. Nice for marching band season, I suppose, but I'm ready for a bit of gloom now, I think.

As far as Doug goes, looking at what's heading his way, I think he might be happy to ship over a lot of moisture. Heck, he may even be starting to have to deal with hot and cold running alligators, Florida-style, if this keeps up.

I ended up bagging a run on Thursday (I was dressed and ready to go but just could not get myself out the door) which I rationalized as a sign I needed to lower the stress a bit. We're at the apogee of stress for marching band season, with 3-hour practice sessions every night next week and the big daylong championship event on Halloween in Eugene. Doesn't leave much time for homework, let alone downtime. It's had an impact. 

Anyway, I did get a bit of walking in Friday night schlepping gear to and from the trailers to the football field (last game of the season - woot!), so I haven't been totally inert. 

I hope to get out on Monday and see how things go next week. Things should mellow out a little bit once band season is over. We are counting the days!

(I've done a bit less posting because my computer at home went on the fritz. The machine is fine (it's an iMac), but there's a fault in the LCD screen that has made the backlight fail. Tried a bit of DIY computer repair to no avail, so I had to take it into the experts. I should get it back next week.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Well, while your puter is in ICU, I'll take over for you.

Walk:  1.4 miles (during a meeting I was supposed to attend), 2 Celsius with 100% humidity and BOY could I tell it! 

Process:  Started walking with my left foot.  Then switched to the right foot.  That went so well that I decided to try that again.  As security was approaching, I decided to see if I could increase the tempo.  You know what?  I could do it as fast as could until I was tackled by the hugely overweight security guard.  He never let his do-nut hit the ground.  THAT was impressive. 

The walk back was unremarkable.  I would try to walk faster, but the clinking of the chains that was part of the shackles would make the security guard grunt, while chewing his do-nut.  This was his 2nd do-nut (something about all the energy used made him hungry).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:37 pm

ounce wrote:Well, while your puter is in ICU, I'll take over for you.

Walk:  1.4 miles (during a meeting I was supposed to attend), 2 Celsius with 100% humidity and BOY could I tell it! 

Process:  Started walking with my left foot.  Then switched to the right foot.  That went so well that I decided to try that again.  As security was approaching, I decided to see if I could increase the tempo.  You know what?  I could do it as fast as could until I was tackled by the hugely overweight security guard.  He never let his do-nut hit the ground.  THAT was impressive. 

The walk back was unremarkable.  I would try to walk faster, but the clinking of the chains that was part of the shackles would make the security guard grunt, while chewing his do-nut.  This was his 2nd do-nut (something about all the energy used made him hungry).

Couldn't have said it better myself! Smile

Doug's average post by comparison, would probably go something like this:

"Boy, Howdy! It was about 300° at 3 o'clock this morning with humidity at 3500%. It made it a little difficult to get going, especially when I realized I had made a wrong turn out of my house and walked into  my neighbors' sauna."

Last edited by Mark B on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Trail Run: About 5.5 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, mid 50s. Gear: Lone Peaks, shorts, T, jacket. 

I am still posting by iPhone, so this should be mercifully short.

A nice trail run in the woods, hampered only by my inability to accurately measure it!   I had paused my Garmin while taking some nifty photos and was so distracted by the scenery and the lovely morning that I forgot to hit start again and did not notice for another half hour or so. Does a run count if it isn't measured? Wink

My actual distance and time is not completely certain, obviously. But I think my guess is relatively close, or at least close enough. 

Walked the first and last five minutes.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Mark B wrote:

"Boy, Howdy! It was about 300° at 3 o'clock this morning with humidity at 3500%. It made it a little difficult to get going, especially when I realized I had made a wrong turn out of my house and walked into  my neighbors' sauna."
Durn tootin'!!  (Except my head was in their oven.  The brownies were WONDERFUL!!)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Durn tootin'!!  (Except my head was in their oven.  The brownies were WONDERFUL!!)

And with that, Ounce wins the Internet. lol!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Mark B wrote:Trail Run: About 5.5 miles

A nice trail run in the woods, hampered only by my inability to accurately measure it!   I had paused my Garmin while taking some nifty photos and was so distracted by the scenery and the lovely morning that I forgot to hit start again and did not notice for another half hour or so. Does a run count if it isn't measured? Wink
Hell, no.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

And with that, Ounce wins the Internet. lol!
I'd like to thank the members of the Academy.....
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:49 pm

ounce wrote:

Hell, no.

Dang it! I was afraid of that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:50 pm

So, Mark.  If I have to run 6.5 miles that has a gain of 100 feet per mile, how can I duplicate that on a flat surface?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:54 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Hell, no.

Dang it! I was afraid of that.
And you forfeit your miles for the past 4 months, plus Fluff gets your pillow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:10 pm

ounce wrote:So, Mark.  If I have to run 6.5 miles that has a gain of 100 feet per mile, how can I duplicate that on a flat surface?

Treadmill at a 2% grade would nearly match that grade, if it's steady. Or you could crank it up to a higher grade to get used to it. 

Failing that, and if you want to run outdoors, do repeats on overpasses or in parking garages.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:58 pm

And once again we can always count on Mark and Doug for entertainment...and solid running advice as well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:07 am

nkrichards wrote:And once again we can always count on Mark and Doug for entertainment...and solid running advice as well.

Ha! Thanks, Nancy. 

In honor of our struggle to stick with core training, here's what I did today. 

1x40 each, each side: clamshell, side leg lift, leg circle
3x10 each side: single leg bridge (oof)
2x50 each side: single leg lift
1x7 minutes each side: single leg stance 

Must be feeling all that varied terrain yesterday (including hurdling logs), because this felt tougher than usual this morning. The single leg bridges kick it up a level, too. Oof!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:15 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:And once again we can always count on Mark and Doug for entertainment...and solid running advice as well.

Ha! Thanks, Nancy. 

In honor of our struggle to stick with core training, here's what I did today. 

1x40 each, each side: clamshell, side leg lift, leg circle
3x10 each side: single leg bridge (oof)
2x50 each side: single leg lift
1x7 minutes each side: single leg stance 

Must be feeling all that varied terrain yesterday (including hurdling logs), because this felt tougher than usual this morning. The single leg bridges kick it up a level, too. Oof!
My coach wants me to do those single leg bridges while balancing on one of those red playground balls.  It takes a while to gain the strength and then some practice to be able to balance but boy are they effective.  (I'm not able to do them right now but I got there during marathon training.)

That's a tough workout!  Not sure I'd have the determination to stick to that many reps.  My regular core/strength workout is much more varied...not sure if that's good or bad.  This cardio challenge thing has been fun.  The free/reduced price classes are a blast.  We're all trying new things...and it seems like most of them involve at least some core work so I'm getting even more variety.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:00 pm

Weather: Rainy, about 50 degrees
Normally, I would do a shorter barefoot run on Wednesday, but I wanted to save the barefoot for my annual birthday shoes run on Friday.

I decided to hit the streets and stick to an area with broad sidewalks where I'd be less likely to be squashed by some half awake driver with impaired vision in the rainy morning gloom. I even added a reflective vest and headlamp, just to be safe.

The run went well, though I was running a little faster than usual and my body was unaccustomed to such a extended steady state effort. It was not so much a low heart rate run, so I didn't really push it until the last quarter-mile when I decided to surge in.

Walk first and last five minutes average heart rate for entire run  of 134.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next