365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 37 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  ounce Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm

New testers that actually work for your foot?!?  Wow, that's R&D finally coming through!

What kinds of flowers are hardy for south Washington springs and summers?  I'm going to guess petunias would do well.

I saw last week on PBS a story about this ballot item for a carbon tax for purchasing gas that will be revenue neutral on other taxes, like reduction of sales tax by 1% and a couple of other things.  I'm curious about what happens if the tax collected on carbon doesn't fully offset the other three taxes/fees that are being reduced?  And is gas in Oregon & Idaho cheaper than Washington so those border people could just hop the border to avoid the carbon tax?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:18 pm

ounce wrote:New testers that actually work for your foot?!?  Wow, that's R&D finally coming through!

What kinds of flowers are hardy for south Washington springs and summers?  I'm going to guess petunias would do well.

I saw last week on PBS a story about this ballot item for a carbon tax for purchasing gas that will be revenue neutral on other taxes, like reduction of sales tax by 1% and a couple of other things.  I'm curious about what happens if the tax collected on carbon doesn't fully offset the other three taxes/fees that are being reduced?  And is gas in Oregon & Idaho cheaper than Washington so those border people could just hop the border to avoid the carbon tax?

Yup! My analyst there offered to put me in the test after hearing me complain about the too-straight shoes. Glad they're willing to experiment a bit and see what works for a broader range of people.

As for flowers, well... pretty much anything does well here. Petunias, fuchsias, sunflowers, irises, dahlias, roses, lilly, lilac, geranium, hosta, hydrangia, azalea, rhododendron, etc., etc., etc. Our summers are low rainfall months, and its not usually terribly hot or super dry. Good growing conditions.

Gas is often less expensive in Oregon (which lacks a sales tax) than Washington, but I don't get a sense that it drives many people over the border to get gas unless they are there already. (About 60,000 people from my county commute to jobs in Portland.) I'd describe it in economic terms as a classic example of something that's price elastic but demand inelastic.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:53 am

Fairly sore this morning -- it's been a while since I've done 9 miles -- but the strength work felt pretty good.

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Modified side-leg lifts.
-Double-leg bridge "marching" while keeping pelvis steady.
-Bridge with single-leg extensions.
-Supine leg lift, keeping TA engaged and pelvis aligned
-Prone leg lift, same as above
-Half-squat using theraband around knees.
-Side-step using theraband around knees.
-Ankle flexion using theraband.
-Double-leg heel raises.
-Single-leg heel raises.

Kneeling, then standing Psoas stretches. (5-6 x 10 seconds left side, a few less on right side)

---

Walk: 3 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, nice. 55° Gear: New testers

Out for a lunchtime walk on a pretty spring day. The sun was warm, the breeze was cool and the new testers weren't destroying my ankle. I'll consider that a win. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:11 pm

Mile repeats: 4.27 miles with 2x1 mile repeats

Weather: Overcast, muggy, 47° Gear: New testers, shorts, T, jacket (shed). No water during.

Opted for intensity this morning. Started with a warm-up mile, then picked up the pace until my HR was just below 160 and my pace was in the upper 8s and lower 9s. I hit the first split in 9:12, then walked my HR down to 132, then started up again. I did the second mile in 9:11 (wow, that's close) though my HR started rising pretty significantly, hitting 175 (!) right before I finished the mile.

Since I revved so high on the second mile, I decided to ease back and not do a third mile repeat, though I didn't exactly crawl in, either.

Walked the first and last 5 minutes, as usual.

Average HR for entire run: 144. Max HR 175.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:12 pm

The soreness from the day before has abated, young pup?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:33 pm

ounce wrote:The soreness from the day before has abated, young pup?

Um... How is your knee doing? Better, I hope.

Very Happy

Okay, okay. My quads were sore when I got up this morning, but it was muscular from too-enthusiastic squats yesterday. They gave me no trouble on the run, though, which was encouraging to say the least. That and blowing past what that physiology guy thought was my max HR without collapsing into a wind-sucking lump on the pavement. Approval

The key will be how I feel on my run tomorrow. That's why I throttled back and didn't do a third repeat.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Low HR Run: 4.24 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, clearing. 54-58° Gear: New testers, T, shorts. Fluids: Water.

My goal today was a recovery-style low HR run. I hadn't picked a distance when I started, since I didn't know how my legs would respond after yesterday's fun. The first bit was a little rough, with heavy legs, but things settled in nicely for the second mile. My body wanted to do a low HR effort, and it felt so good I toyed with the idea of going farther but decided against it. I'm aiming to hit 30 this week, which is a big jump, so I don't need to blow through it.

It was a good decision. The heavy legs returned in Mile 3 (they caught up with me, I suppose) and stuck around for the rest of the run. That was enough motivation to keep it easy on the return trip, too.

Walked first 5, last 5+ minutes. Average HR for entire run: 127

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:40 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Have you tried these:  http://shop.topoathletic.com/mens/

My friend here who likes Altra shoes loves these.

Hey, Michele! It took me several months to get down to the only shoe store in Portland that sells Topos, but I finally made it there last week. I don't know if I've ever tried on a shoe that fit my foot shape better. I almost bought them on the spot, but I couldn't give them a decent test trot because my ankle and foot was still messed up at the time and I couldn't tell how well they worked underfoot.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 37 M_fli_12
The shoes are actually much sleeker than this photo, which makes them look like toddler shoes.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 37 Screen12

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 37 Screen11
Look! Shoes with a CURVE in them! And a toebox that fits, you know, toes? Whodathunkit?

I keep telling myself I have testers for the next couple of months, then near-new Altras after that... but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't add them to my arsenal before too long. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sadly, I wonder how long the company is going to stick around. It's a competitive industry, and I don't know that word of mouth is going to cut it. I can't imagine the owner wants to create a niche product. But who knows?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Ask for replacement feet for Christmas.  Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:13 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Have you tried these:  http://shop.topoathletic.com/mens/

Hey, Michele! It took me several months to get down to the only shoe store in Portland that sells Topos, but I finally made it there last week. I don't know if I've ever tried on a shoe that fit my foot shape better. I almost bought them on the spot, but I couldn't give them a decent test trot because my ankle and foot was still messed up at the time and I couldn't tell how well they worked underfoot.

The shoes are actually much sleeker than this photo, which makes them look like toddler shoes.

Look! Shoes with a CURVE in them! And a toebox that fits, you know, toes? Whodathunkit?

I keep telling myself I have testers for the next couple of months, then near-new Altras after that... but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't add them to my arsenal before too long. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sadly, I wonder how long the company is going to stick around. It's a competitive industry, and I don't know that word of mouth is going to cut it. I can't imagine the owner wants to create a niche product. But who knows?
Woohoo!  They had a booth at the Boston Expo - so hopefully that will help.  I can't wear their running shoes as they don't fit me right and I don't like a low to 0 drop shoe.  However, I did buy a pair of what they call fitness or gym shoes that actually fit well since they have a velcro strap across the toes.  I wear them to workout in and I really like them.  Maybe I'll get used to the 0 drop.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:17 pm

ounce wrote:Ask for replacement feet for Christmas.  Approval

You do realize that my whole BODY has adapted to those feet? Geez, I'd probably fly apart at the seams if they grafted something "normal" on. affraid

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Woohoo!  They had a booth at the Boston Expo - so hopefully that will help.  I can't wear their running shoes as they don't fit me right and I don't like a low to 0 drop shoe.  However, I did buy a pair of what they call fitness or gym shoes that actually fit well since they have a velcro strap across the toes.  I wear them to workout in and I really like them.  Maybe I'll get used to the 0 drop.

I think the shoes pictured above have a 3 mm drop, which is pretty close to more minimal shoes out there.

I am looking forward to getting them someday. Alita thinks I'm nuts for not just buying them on the spot.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Hilly Run: 6.14 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, a little rain. 49° Gear: New testers, shorts, T, jacket, hat. Fluids: nuun

I felt pretty refreshed this morning after yesterday's easier run, so I headed out to my hilly route. My heart rate behaved itself pretty well on the flats and didn't do too bad on the climbs. I'm starting to feel more fluid as I run, which is a nice thing to come back. I also came close to finding my granny gear for running uphill. I did pretty well at first but it got tougher as the run progressed.

It was a pretty nice day for a run. Overcast and cool with just a little rain.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134. Max. 157

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:03 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Ask for replacement feet for Christmas.  Approval

You do realize that my whole BODY has adapted to those feet? Geez, I'd probably fly apart at the seams if they grafted something "normal" on.  affraid

Mark B wrote:

I think the shoes pictured above have a 3 mm drop, which is pretty close to more minimal shoes out there.

I am looking forward to getting them someday. Alita thinks I'm nuts for not just buying them on the spot.
Yeah, so I'm with Alita on this one!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Mark B wrote:Alita thinks I'm nuts for not just buying them on the spot.

Yeah, so I'm with Alita on this one!

So not surprised. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:41 pm

I hope you get them someday! I have tried so many shoes and there is really only one pr that seem to fit just right.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50 pm

Julie wrote:I hope you get them someday! I have tried so many shoes and there is really only one pr that seem to fit just right.

Well, I guess it just shows how much variability there are in human feet. It's good that there are lots of manufacturers out there, because it improves the odds that at least one model will truly fit. I'm feeling a little lucky right now... my Altras are pretty good, those Topos are even better and even the testers I have fit better than any shoe I've tried in a long time. Woot!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:55 pm

Well, at least I'm lucky finding appropriate footwear, at least.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 37 Fullsi10
Sigh...

Yup. I smacked my pinkie toe into a piece of patio furniture today. I didn't hear anything go crack when it happened (though I may have felt something crack-ish when I wiggled it), but it's pretty colorful and swollen now.

It may be broken. Hope it isn't. Because that'd suck.

I'll see what it looks/feels like tomorrow.

Oh, for the record, this is not the same one I broke earlier in this blog* -- it's on the other foot. For balance, you know.

*-Could it be that this whole Bumblebee-themed blog concept is cursed? I mean, think about the things that have happened since I started it up almost two years ago. Maybe it's time to drive a stake through it's heart and start anew.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Update on the toe: It got way more colorful and swollen after my last post, so I was pretty sure that it was broken.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 37 13086710

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 37 13094310

I went to urgent care this morning to get it looked at, and I guess I'm happy to report that the X-ray was inconclusive.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 37 13124910
Toe tips may be larger than they appear in real life...

The doctor (an internist doing duty in urgent care) initially said it appeared that I had a crack, but when I asked him about the crack, he confessed that he wasn't sure if it was cracked at all. He was sure there was no serious displaced fracture (my toe was straight, so that was obvious without an X-ray), but he didn't know about that divot in the right side about where a joint would normally be if that joint wasn't fused on me. It might be natural, or it might be a chunk of bone removed... except the chunk taken out was nowhere to be seen. A radiologist will have to figure that out in the next day or two.

So as unclear as it was, the visit was encouraging. My toe is still black and blue, but maybe that's going to be the biggest part of the damage. As bad as it looked, I was fearing a displaced fracture.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun May 01, 2016 9:55 pm

Good to know that gravity still works up there, as evidenced by the pooling of the blood on the bottom part of the tootsie.

And since you have extended your foot for the picture, may I say:
This little piggie went to market.
This little piggie stayed home.
This little piggie had roast beef.
And this little piggie had none.
But THIS little piggie yelled WTF are you DOING!!!!  Let my piggie gooooooooo!
No, Mr. Bill, nooooo!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon May 02, 2016 7:26 am

You don't need a pinky toe - suck it up buttercup!  (JK - hope it isn't broken, but if it is, I'm sure there isn't much they can do.  I'm glad that when I stubbed my toe into a weight bench in the gym all I got was a blood blister and a gnarly toenail)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 02, 2016 9:33 pm

ounce wrote:Good to know that gravity still works up there, as evidenced by the pooling of the blood on the bottom part of the tootsie.

No, Mr. Bill, nooooo!

lol!

Nice! And much better than your suggestion of two years ago that involved a sharp pair of pruning shears...  affraid

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:You don't need a pinky toe - suck it up buttercup!  (JK - hope it isn't broken, but if it is, I'm sure there isn't much they can do.  I'm glad that when I stubbed my toe into a weight bench in the gym all I got was a blood blister and a gnarly toenail)

Thanks a lot, coach! I come here for emotional support, and what do I get?

Oh right. Exactly what I expected.

Anyway, I'm getting more convinced that the toe isn't broken. It's color is somewhere between an eggplant and an overripe tomato, but it doesn't actively hurt, and I seem to be able to walk around without discomfort. I've been wearing my sandals to reduce pressure on the toe, but when I put a pair of shoes on to mow the lawn, it really didn't bother me.

Probably not ready for running on it yet, but hopefully soon. Radiologist, don't fail me now!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Good to know that gravity still works up there, as evidenced by the pooling of the blood on the bottom part of the tootsie.

No, Mr. Bill, nooooo!

lol!

Nice! And much better than your suggestion of two years ago that involved a sharp pair of pruning shears...  affraid

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:You don't need a pinky toe - suck it up buttercup!  (JK - hope it isn't broken, but if it is, I'm sure there isn't much they can do.  I'm glad that when I stubbed my toe into a weight bench in the gym all I got was a blood blister and a gnarly toenail)

Anyway, I'm getting more convinced that the toe isn't broken. It's color is somewhere between an eggplant and an overripe tomato, but it doesn't actively hurt, and I seem to be able to walk around without discomfort. I've been wearing my sandals to reduce pressure on the toe, but when I put a pair of shoes on to mow the lawn, it really didn't bother me.

Probably not ready for running on it yet, but hopefully soon. Radiologist, don't fail me now!
Well, you're a wuss, Bowder!   tongue   And any shears you had were probably dull and rusted.  

Frustration
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 03, 2016 5:27 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

No, Mr. Bill, nooooo!

lol!

Well, you're a wuss, Bowder!   tongue   And any shears you had were probably dull and rusted.  

Frustration

Well, that second part is probably true....

Heard back from the doctor, and the radiologist. Their verdict -- though it wasn't ringing in its conviction -- was that there are signs of what may be a "non displaced subacute fracture," with another view showing a small amount of callus (?) that the radiologist says supports a diagnosis of fracture.

The doctor recommended just pool running/bike/elliptical for 6 weeks depending on pain tolerance.

Except I just went for a 2.5-mile walk in my testers and didn't really have any additional pain.

So there's that. Hm. scratch

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 03, 2016 6:14 pm

Walk: 2.6 miles

Weather: Warm, hazy. 70

Testing out my toe on an easy walk in my testers. It didn't hurt while I walked, but it might be a bit more sore now. I'll need to be conservative as I keep learning what I can do right now. Heck, I may even have to pump up the tires on my bike.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 04, 2016 11:28 am

Mark B wrote:Walk: 2.6 miles

Weather: Warm, hazy. 70

Testing out my toe on an easy walk in my testers. It didn't hurt while I walked, but it might be a bit more sore now. I'll need to be conservative as I keep learning what I can do right now. Heck, I may even have to pump up the tires on my bike.  
You are complying with your doc's (overly conservative for a pinky) recommendation of "...depending on pain tolerance."

I really liked their overwhelming luke warm decision.  It reminds me of a football team challenging a ruling and getting the answer, "The ruling stands" when there's not enough info to overturn or confirm it.

I guess the pinky toe is like the appendix.  It doesn't do anything, but give it some inflammation and WHAMMO!!!

Did the doc, by chance, give you any exercises to specifically build up the muscles in the pinky?  Pinky curls?  Pinky press?  Pinky squats?  Balancing on your pinky?  Executing the rhamashamapinkydookydama yoga position? scratch
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next