365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 39 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Tue May 10, 2016 5:00 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:At my advanced age, monitoring 1 less thing allows me to rib you more on other stuff. Approval

I guess they'll have to import more snow for next year's dog race.

As far as the weather, sucks all around, but I don't think anybody at the Climate Prediction Center is getting rich off of accuracy of that prediction.

Well, I'm glad I can make things easier on you. Smile

The Climate Prediction Center isn't quite the Farmer's Almanac when it comes to extra-specific forecasts a year in advance, since science and all that sort of thing. Still, it shows that conditions make it more likely to experience above-average temperatures over the course of that three-month period. I didn't bother to read the scientific discussion on which the map is based; it's very technical. It'll be interesting to see if it proves to. If it does, maybe I should have drafted my BIL to help me install our window a/c unit before he left.
You have child labor in the house and Fluff can supervise the placement of the condensate hose.
Mark B wrote:Hike: 3.1 miles

Weather: Mostly sunny, mild. 57° Gear: Testers, street clothes.

My wife's family has been visiting this weekend, so I decided to take my brother in law out into the woods to kill some time, get in a workout and show him where Alita and I do our trail work

It was a nice day for it. We walked at a pretty steady pace, even on the uphills, which gave some nice glue burn after a while.
When I saw the words 'brother in law' and 'kill' my interested piqued!  Then finishing up with 'some nice glue burn' and I thought we had a crime mystery brewing, especially with you wearing street clothes.

The a/c is more a heavy-awkward toting issue, which I'd rather not yet entrust with the child.

It's nice to have house guests, but it's also nice when they've departed. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 11, 2016 11:47 am

Low HR Run: 4.3 miles

Weather: Sunny. 54° to 59° Gear: Testers, shorts, T. Fluids: None

I thought about doing this run as a series of mile repeats but decided instead to practice my low heart rate running skills, which have gotten a bit rusty. I aimed for a HR of about 139... and pretty much missed the target by a couple bpm. At least it was consistent...

It felt pleasantly cool to start with but warmed up fast once I turned a corner out and ran a couple of unshaded miles with the sun in my face. Good practice, and an opportunity to work on my leg tan! They could use it.  Cool

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 132.

---

Walk: 3.2 miles

Weather: Sunny and warm. 75°

Going for a double of sorts today, walking over the Interstate Bridge into Oregon and back. My knee was a little irritable on the inclines but not horribly so. I'll need to be careful about that.

It was a beautiful day for a walk, though a little warm. My work socks are just a teensy bit damp now. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Low(ish) HR Run: 8.2 miles

Weather: Sunny and getting warmer fast. 60-68° Gear: Testers, shorts, T. Fluid: nuun, took one S-Cap at 60 minutes.

Headed out on my Llama Ridge route this morning, trying to get out as early as I could to avoid too much heat. It still meant a lot of direct sun, though, and I felt it as the run progressed. I'm also re-ramping things up pretty quickly, so I'm feeling the fatigue.

I missed my low HR target but did pretty well on holding a pace until I started feeling the warm sun. I made a point of walking when my HR drifted too high, which meant I walked several times in the second half of the run.

I can feel my glutes starting to work as I run, which is an altogether odd sensation. I hope I can get them trained, because they seem to have a lot of horsepower in 'em. Smile

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run 137

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Mark B wrote:Low(ish) HR Run: 8.2 miles

Weather: Sunny and getting warmer fast. 60-68° Gear: Testers, shorts, T. Fluid: nuun, took one S-Cap at 60 minutes.

Headed out on my Llama Ridge route this morning, trying to get out as early as I could to avoid too much heat. It still meant a lot of direct sun, though, and I felt it as the run progressed. I'm also re-ramping things up pretty quickly, so I'm feeling the fatigue.

I missed my low HR target but did pretty well on holding a pace until I started feeling the warm sun. I made a point of walking when my HR drifted too high, which meant I walked several times in the second half of the run.

I can feel my glutes starting to work as I run, which is an altogether odd sensation. I hope I can get them trained, because they seem to have a lot of horsepower in 'em. Smile

Have you ever read anything that shows whether or not the glutes can materially assist or lead betterment of the running process?

Looks like y'all might be getting a few drops over the next 7 days.  Might cool things down a bit.  Do y'all get 'afternoon and evening thunderstorms' due to the increase in temps in the afternoons?  We get them, when High pressure is not sitting on us.  Like right now!
Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 39 File
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 12, 2016 9:39 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Low(ish) HR Run: 8.2 miles

Have you ever read anything that shows whether or not the glutes can materially assist or lead betterment of the running process?

Looks like y'all might be getting a few drops over the next 7 days.  Might cool things down a bit.  Do y'all get 'afternoon and evening thunderstorms' due to the increase in temps in the afternoons?  We get them, when High pressure is not sitting on us.  Like right now!
Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 39 File

Ever read? Yes, I think I have. And it's been the mission of every physical therapist I've ever seen to get me to grow an ass.

Glutes are supposed to be the power muscles, not the quads and hamstrings. Here's one article on the subject. They're also huge core stabilizers, which helps prevent injury.

Here's another page: Engage Gluteus Maximus!

We have rain coming in over the weekend and a very small chance of thunder very early Saturday morning. That'd be unusual if it happens. Unlike other parts of the country farther away from the ocean, areas west of the Cascade Range (and Sierra Nevada, for that matter) does not generally develop late afternoon thunderstorms.

They do happens sometimes in the mountains and points east (which unfortunately cause wildfires), but not so much in the lowlands. Much to the disappointment of my family, who got a taste of honest-to-gosh Midwest and Rocky Mountain thunderstorms and want more.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Oh yes...every PT I've ever talked to has encouraged teaching the glutes to fire to become a better runner.  It's encouraging that you can feel that they are starting to do their job.  I've put a bit of effort into that change but never had huge success.

We do get those afternoon/evening thunderstorms on this side of the mountain but not nearly as often as in other parts of the country.  They are predicting storms this weekend...we'll see if they materialize and we'll also see if we can get our hay baled and in the barn before they do!

Those first few warm temperature runs are always tough.  Sounds like you handled it pretty well and took well planned walk breaks.  You're doing well if you got in over 8 miles so soon after your last set back.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 13, 2016 1:10 am

nkrichards wrote:Oh yes...every PT I've ever talked to has encouraged teaching the glutes to fire to become a better runner.  It's encouraging that you can feel that they are starting to do their job.  I've put a bit of effort into that change but never had huge success.

We do get those afternoon/evening thunderstorms on this side of the mountain but not nearly as often as in other parts of the country.  They are predicting storms this weekend...we'll see if they materialize and we'll also see if we can get our hay baled and in the barn before they do!

Those first few warm temperature runs are always tough.  Sounds like you handled it pretty well and took well planned walk breaks.  You're doing well if you got in over 8 miles so soon after your last set back.

Thanks! My pinky toe got a little grumpy about 3/4 of the way into the run, which made me nervous, but it settled down pretty quickly. For what it's worth, I think it's very possible that there actually is a fracture -- but a very minor one, in a spot that doesn't get a lot of stress. It's a night-and-day difference from when I broke the pinky toe on my other foot.

If all goes well, I'll be at about 30 miles this week. I'll hold it there and start building my long run to get ready for the summer.

Good luck getting the hay in! Is it true that wet hay can spontaneously combust?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Low HR Run: 5.75 miles

Weather: Rainy and cool. 55° Gear: Testers, shorts, T, jacket, hat. Fuel/fluid: None

Out for a longer run with Alita as she continues to prepare for her six-hour event this summer. We opted for more steady running than trails today, to build endurance and fat-metabolism. We kept the pace easy, with some walking thrown in.

This was a great low HR run for me, with levels well below my target. It's good to do this, as it teaches my slow twitches how to operate in that gear, which is low enough to not burn much if any glycogen.

Mostly, though, it's nice to be out with Alita, even in steady rain.

My Garmin measured 5.75, but interestingly Alita's iPhone said 6.1. It'd be amazing if all my runs have been short all these years. (Have I been living a lie?!)

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 113. Max: 135 (!)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun May 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Mark B wrote:Low HR Run: 5.75 miles

Weather: Rainy and cool. 55° Gear: Testers, shorts, T, jacket, hat. Fuel/fluid: None

Out for a longer run with Alita as she continues to prepare for her six-hour event this summer. We opted for more steady running than trails today, to build endurance and fat-metabolism. We kept the pace easy, with some walking thrown in.

This was a great low HR run for me, with levels well below my target. It's good to do this, as it teaches my slow twitches how to operate in that gear, which is low enough to not burn much if any glycogen.

My Garmin measured 5.75, but interestingly Alita's iPhone said 6.1. It'd be amazing if all my runs have been short all these years. (Have I been living a lie?!)

Always good times running with someone you love or enjoy...or both.

When I was shopping for a new watch, I perused DC Rainmaker's site.  I remember the topic of GPS accuracy.  He had 5 different models of watches on one forearm.  He ran 3 miles and all 5 watches measured something different.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 16, 2016 12:29 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Low HR Run: 5.75 miles

Always good times running with someone you love or enjoy...or both.

When I was shopping for a new watch, I perused DC Rainmaker's site.  I remember the topic of GPS accuracy.  He had 5 different models of watches on one forearm.  He ran 3 miles and all 5 watches measured something different.

Heh. Not surprised. If the accuracy is plus or minus 35 feet at any given moment, that variance alone can mean wide swings in distance measurement when you apply that over a greater distance -- and that's not even accounting for interference from trees and such. I suppose that leaves people for the runner's version of optimism or pessimism, depending on whether you take the longer distance of the shorter one. I tend to round up. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Long Run: 10.3 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, breezy. 56-57° Gear: Testers, shorts, T. Fuel/fluid: Water, 1 S-Cap at halfway point.

Finally! It seemed like it took forever, but I finally got back into double digits today. I had been aiming to get to this point back on Feb. 1, which my knee decided to rebel on me. Ever since, I've been slowly rebuilding (with a brief broken toe interruption - yeah, it probably was broken, just not horribly). It doesn't bode well for my 50K in July, but at least I'm moving in the right mileage direction again. Approval

The run itself went pretty well. I could feel a bit of fatigue from my run yesterday, but I managed to keep fairly close to my HR target for the first 3/4 of the run. When I hit that last big climb out of the greenway, I decided to let my HR rise a bit and only walk if I hit 150. I didn't hit 150, so I just kept grinding away. That pretty much wrecked my HR for the rest of the run, but that's okay.

Walked first and last 5 minutes or so. Average HR for entire run: 138. MaxHR 154

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Congratz!  Let's celebrate!!
Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 39 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWl7wCIRIB-wxbURweHQHShHiseb_R8aw_sA7Q4a5QAZSxWTJ-lA
Oops, wrong blog.  Anyway, keep it up!  GO, GO, GO, GO!!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 17, 2016 12:02 pm

ounce wrote:Congratz!  Let's celebrate!!
Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 39 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWl7wCIRIB-wxbURweHQHShHiseb_R8aw_sA7Q4a5QAZSxWTJ-lA
Oops, wrong blog.  Anyway, keep it up!  GO, GO, GO, GO!!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 39 Us910

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Ooof. Surprisingly sore after yesterday's run. (Not the pinky toe, mind you... just my leg muscles. And ankles.) Maybe it's the extra distance, maybe it's the run the day before, or maybe it's the extra mass I've carrying with me right now. Oh well. It'll just make me stronger, right? Suspect

XT: Core and Calves

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Modified side-leg lifts.
-Double-leg bridge "marching" while keeping pelvis steady.
-Bridge with single-leg extensions.
-Supine leg lift, keeping TA engaged and pelvis aligned
-Prone leg lift, same as above
-Half-squat using theraband around knees.
-Side-step using theraband around knees.
-Ankle flexion using theraband.
-Double-leg heel raises.
-Single-leg heel raises.

Kneeling, then standing Psoas stretches. (5-6 x 10 seconds left side, a few less on right side)

---

Later...

Walk: 2.6 miles

Weather: Sunny and warmer as the walk progressed. 67°

The soreness in my legs from yesterday's run has cleared, so it was easy getting out on a lunchtime walk at work.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Outstanding news on the afternoon walk muscle status!  You showed THEM!!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 17, 2016 8:44 pm

ounce wrote:Outstanding news on the afternoon walk muscle status!  You showed THEM!!

Durn tootin'

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 18, 2016 12:07 pm

2 x mile repeats, 3.35 miles total

Weather: Sunny and mild. 57° Gear: Testers, shorts, T. No fluids.

Short on time this morning and in the mood to go faster, I headed out for a set of mile repeats. I'd planned to do three miles of repeats, but I pushed too hard on the first mile (8:40) and blew way past my lactate threshold. I walked my HR down and hit the second mile in 9:19, though I forgot that I hit a split and raced to hit 3 miles even when I needed to hit 3.06 miles! Oof. I couldn't have done a third mile.

Walked first and last 5 minutes or so. Average HR: 141. Max HR 172

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Mark B wrote:2 x mile repeats, 3.35 miles total

Short on time this morning and in the mood to go faster, I headed out for a set of mile repeats. I'd planned to do three miles of repeats, but I pushed too hard on the first mile (8:40) and blew way past my lactate threshold. I walked my HR down and hit the second mile in 9:19, though I forgot that I hit a split and raced to hit 3 miles even when I needed to hit 3.06 miles! Oof. I couldn't have done a third mile.

Oh, sir!  Por que are you running mile repeats when your endurance is poop and you have a 50K in July?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 18, 2016 1:17 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:2 x mile repeats, 3.35 miles total

Oh, sir!  Por que are you running mile repeats when your endurance is poop and you have a 50K in July?

Por que? Because I'd like to be able to hit the cutoffs. If my endurance is poo, my speed is even worse. I'm mixing it up a little this time, throwing in a bit of up-tempo every week or two, to see if that helps in other areas.  n=1

Besides, it kind of feels good to push it every once in a while.

I'll either be ready for the 50K in July, or I won't. Doing a few faster runs aren't going to change that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Walk: 2.6 miles

Weather: Light overcast, warm and a little muggy. 70°

Doubling it up again, using lunchtime for a little active recovery from my faster running this morning. It went fine, though I'd have liked it better if it wasn't quite so warm. I wear my work clothes when I walk, and there's nothing quite like sitting at your desk in soggy underwear.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 pm

Wow...a double digit run, mile repeats and doubles.  I'm impressed!

You're getting back into the swing of things quickly. 

Are you running in your new test shoes and if so are they working better than the pair you had to send back?

Looks like the warm weather is going to subside but you may end up with soggy underwear anyway as the rain is coming.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 18, 2016 9:55 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Oh yes...every PT I've ever talked to has encouraged teaching the glutes to fire to become a better runner.  It's encouraging that you can feel that they are starting to do their job.  I've put a bit of effort into that change but never had huge success.

Thanks! My pinky toe got a little grumpy about 3/4 of the way into the run, which made me nervous, but it settled down pretty quickly. For what it's worth, I think it's very possible that there actually is a fracture -- but a very minor one, in a spot that doesn't get a lot of stress. It's a night-and-day difference from when I broke the pinky toe on my other foot.

If all goes well, I'll be at about 30 miles this week. I'll hold it there and start building my long run to get ready for the summer.

Good luck getting the hay in! Is it true that wet hay can spontaneously combust?

I realized I hadn't answered this.  Yes hay baled with to much moisture can and does spontaneously combust.  Someone in our area loses a stack of hay and often a barn along with it nearly every year.  It can be quite tricky.  The key is to get the hay dry first and then wait for a bit of dew moisture to make the hay softer and more palatable.  But stem moisture is not good and to much dew moisture can be a problem as well.  We have moisture testers but technology is only as good as the person using it.  There are so many variables that even the seasoned farmers mess up occasionally.

Oh and we did get our hay in before it rained.  It's nice looking hay and it's not heating. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 19, 2016 12:00 pm

nkrichards wrote:Wow...a double digit run, mile repeats and doubles.  I'm impressed!

Are you running in your new test shoes and if so are they working better than the pair you had to send back?

Looks like the warm weather is going to subside but you may end up with soggy underwear anyway as the rain is coming.

Thanks, Nancy! I'm trying to 1) see how ready I can get for this summer's craziness and 2) satisfy the demands of my swooshy overlords. Luckily, the goals overlap. Smile

Speaking of swooshes, you are correct. I am running in a new set of testers that fit my feet 100% better than the previous pair. They're shaped much like a mode from a few years ago that l I liked very much. So far, so good!

I could probably do with a few more clouds and rain. Even if it means getting a little wet. I'm not made of sugar, so I won't melt.

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:..we'll see if they materialize and we'll also see if we can get our hay baled and in the barn before they do!

I realized I hadn't answered this.  Yes hay baled with to much moisture can and does spontaneously combust.  Someone in our area loses a stack of hay and often a barn along with it nearly every year.  It can be quite tricky.  The key is to get the hay dry first and then wait for a bit of dew moisture to make the hay softer and more palatable.  But stem moisture is not good and too much dew moisture can be a problem as well.  We have moisture testers but technology is only as good as the person using it.  There are so many variables that even the seasoned farmers mess up occasionally.

Oh and we did get our hay in before it rained.  It's nice looking hay and it's not heating. Smile

That's what I thought. Those barn fires are always impressive, and confusing to folks who don't understand how they happen. Aliens! alien

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Low HR Run: 8.24 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, a couple of showers, breezy. 54° Gear: Testers, shorts, T, jacket, hat. Fuel: Just water.

Boy, oh boy. When I started running after my warm-up walk, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it a mile. My legs felt so dead after yesterday's speedy stuff that I wasn't sure what I'd be able to do today, or if I should even try.

As it turned out, it was a surprisingly good run. Huh?

I fell into an easy pace that was so measured I was even able to make it through my first mile ravine without having to slow an walk. My HR was amazingly consistent, and often exactly on my target. I even was able to control my heart rate after it rose while going uphill and bring it back down again. It's been a while since I've been able to do that.

My paces were slower than they have been on this route, but who cares? I accomplished a steady effort. I wasn't looking forward for the run to be over, even though my legs were STILL pretty much dead.

Did not expect that. Maybe all my fast-twitch fibers were so exhausted they couldn't butt in and try to get my to push faster, leaving my slow-twitchers to run the show. Apparently, the slow twitchers know what they're doing. It may have also been helped by core work I've been doing, which has improved my form and activated my butt muscles (I can actually feel them working when I run. Whoa!), and by some stretches targeting the hip flexors - especially the psoas.

Whatever it is, I'm pleased.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Wow...a double digit run, mile repeats and doubles.  I'm impressed!

Thanks, Nancy! I'm trying to 1) see how ready I can get for this summer's craziness and 2) satisfy the demands of my swooshy overlords. Luckily, the goals overlap. Smile

Speaking of swooshes, you are correct. I am running in a new set of testers that fit my feet 100% better than the previous pair. They're shaped much like a mode from a few years ago that l I liked very much. So far, so good!

I could probably do with a few more clouds and rain. Even if it means getting a little wet. I'm not made of sugar, so I won't melt.

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:..we'll see if they materialize and we'll also see if we can get our hay baled and in the barn before they do!

I realized I hadn't answered this.  Yes hay baled with to much moisture can and does spontaneously combust.  Someone in our area loses a stack of hay and often a barn along with it nearly every year.  It can be quite tricky.  The key is to get the hay dry first and then wait for a bit of dew moisture to make the hay softer and more palatable.  But stem moisture is not good and too much dew moisture can be a problem as well.  We have moisture testers but technology is only as good as the person using it.  There are so many variables that even the seasoned farmers mess up occasionally.

That's what I thought. Those barn fires are always impressive, and confusing to folks who don't understand how they happen. Aliens! alien
No, city slickers.  tongue

Would the swooshers let you take the pair that feels so good to a race?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next