365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Returning to Running

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Peg Coover on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 am

Mindful eating. That is a good concept.

I often think of food as entertainment. I love to cook especially for a bunch of people. I always overdo it. I also love to eat out at restaurants with friends. It's social.

Another weight loss tip I had heard once: If you always eat the same thing for two of your meals, such as breakfast and lunch, and it is carefully planned out and healthy and you don't vary from it ever, it is a good way to control your eating. Then your other meal can be more flexible. I don't know if that works for everyone, but it kind of makes sense.

My sister, who is tiny by the way, won't eat carbs after 6:00 pm. And when she needs to lose a pound or two, she carefully measures things out, even her 4 oz glass of wine!

Sorry for highjacking your blog! Perhaps I will start a thread over on the health forum.
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:06 am

@Peg Coover wrote:

Another weight loss tip I had heard once: If you always eat the same thing for two of your meals, such as breakfast and lunch, and it is carefully planned out and healthy and you don't vary from it ever, it is a good way to control your eating. Then your other meal can be more flexible. I don't know if that works for everyone, but it kind of makes sense.

I read an article on habits of thin people and it basically said that, too, that they eat about the same things all the time. I have read Intuitive Eating and think there is a lot of merit it not restrictively dieting but listening to your body, too, though.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Just a quick entry to note that I ran for 30 minutes, the first 15 at my usual new slow pace and the 2nd half I increased by .1 per hour. Enough to get my HR up a little higher but not enough for me to really feel a huge difference. I can't wait until I'm completely back in shape.
Yesterday I didn't run because I was so incredibly sore from the 30-day shred that I had a hard time walking. I guess that means it works. I'm planning to run tomorrow, which makes me think it may be better to not do the 30-day shred today, and do it after my run tomorrow. I think I'm going to need a rest day in between the first several times, because it's that hard. Off to a pot-luck dinner. After my run, I skipped the chocolate milk, knowing I'm going to a pot-luck. Baby steps.
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:47 pm

I love chocolate milk after a run.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Baby steps or things you can live with long term are what make the difference for most people.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 pm

Just stay with it and before you know it your fitness will be back. The thing that I like is that you are taking it slow which 1. will help you not get burned out and 2. more importantly will help to keep you niggle and injury free. So many make the mistake of doing to much or running to fast when returning back to running and within a month they are on the sidelines. So keep up the work and allow your body to adjust to the stress of running again and it will all come together.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:54 am

@Schuey wrote:Just stay with it and before you know it your fitness will be back. The thing that I like is that you are taking it slow which 1. will help you not get burned out and 2. more importantly will help to keep you niggle and injury free. So many make the mistake of doing to much or running to fast when returning back to running and within a month they are on the sidelines. So keep up the work and allow your body to adjust to the stress of running again and it will all come together.

I agree with Schuey...taking the long view and going slowly as you build back up is very smart. I also have a feeling that you'll naturally shed pounds (you didn't say, but it doesn't look like you have that many to shed), as you slowly increase your mileage, even without the other stuff you're doing. You'll be back in great shape in less time than you think.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:22 am

I agree with the above fitness will return. I was out for 10 weeks was patient as I did an 18 week post injury program I created and was just grateful to be out running. It recharged my batteries quite well and went on to new PR's.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Agree with everyone - just wanted to give you props for not only running, but doing your cross training as well. Everything will come in time. Now, you can remind me of that sometime!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:23 am

@Julie wrote:Baby steps or things you can live with long term are what make the difference for most people.

+1
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:29 am

Hi Kathy,

It's good to see that you are getting back into running again. I know that you've had a pretty demanding schedule and I'm sure you are glad there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope your transition to Chicago living treats you well. There's a lot of energy there and it's fun to be in a city with a vibrant exercise community like you see on the lakefront path, etc.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Peg, Jim, Julie, Martin, Seth, Kenny, John, Mark, and Matt--thanks for stopping in, and for the encouragement and weight loss tips. I appreciate it!

Running: Well, today was the first failed run now that I'm back to running. That's okay, bad ones happen, and I learned from it. When I checked the weather on my phone this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was only 75 degrees. I stepped out onto my balcony and it felt pleasant. Sweet! I haven't run outside in forever but today may be cool enough to give it a try. I made it about 18 minutes of my planned 30 minutes before I sort of fell apart. I just felt awful and a little dizzy. In retrospect, every other run (on the treadmill) I've been drinking a gulp of water ever 3-5 minutes, but when I went outside I didn't take any water. I also didn't drink anything before the run. That in combination with increased alcohol intake lately and not enough water to compensate probably explains things. Oh well. When I was done, it was 79 degrees. I guess I'm not used to running outside in the heat yet.
I'll try again tomorrow night. I'm not good at being patient, and I'm bored with taking things slowly. But I know that's the way to do things safely, without injury. I'll get to where I want to be later. But lots of work until then. As far as the 30-day shred, I can't find my handweights and my workout area is full of boxes and bubble wrap from packing, so I've been delinquent for the past few days.

Weight: I'm still stuck. I weigh 127.5 according to my scale. For my size / build, that's heavier than I want to be. I'd be fine with it if it was from being muscular. But I'm not muscular--it's all fat, and I look and feel blah. My face is rounder and I have a bracelet that I can't get on anymore. Not to mention a ton of my clothes that I like don't fit. I want to be 112-115, so I don't have a ton to lose, but it's harder than I imagined. Since I haven't made any progress just trying to qualitatively cut back, I think it's time to step up and go quantitative and start counting my calories or whatever. I've heard very good things about using the points system from weight watchers so will look into that today.

Non-running: I discovered an event in Atlanta on my last weekend in the city that I wish I'd known about for the past 3 years. The Fernbank museum (which I think is a history museum but not 100% sure) has this thing on certain Friday nights called Martinis and iMax. They have an iMAX theater, and people get dressed up and drink martinis and lounge around and then watch the show. I had a Key Lime Pie martini last night, which was pretty good. Was green and lime-flavored obviously, with graham-cracker crumbs around the edge. We watched The Ultimate Wave: Tahiti, which is about surfing in Tahiti and about how waves are made. It was cool. I'm not sure I recommend alcohol with watching iMAX stuff, though, because you already feel like you're moving watching on that screen, and the alcohol just adds to it. I didn't get sick, though. Afterwards, the same lobby area where they were serving martinis had a salsa party, and all these people who know how to salsa were dancing. It looked fun. I don't know how to salsa, though. I think when I get to Chicago I may find a salsa class. Besides learning that style of dance, it may be a good way to meet people.
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:07 pm

The humidity here this morning was pretty bad too. It was in the 70s and cloundy, but boy did I sweat. When you are in Chicago some of the parks have dance nights during the summer. They spend a little time teaching the type of dancing for the night and then let you dance after that. Peggy and I keep planning to do it, but haven't made it yet.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:59 pm

I think the less you weigh, the harder it is to lose, so I totally hear you there. I don't want to get down to the 1-teens, but still, I get it. Once you get yourself back on a real-world schedule, you will probably lose Kathy. Of course, I wouldn't wait for that. If you've been drinking more alcohol lately, that will hinder your progress.
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:40 am

I agree with Natalie: the closer you are to your goal weight, the tougher it is to get there. I also agree that once you settle in to a regular schedule, everything will fall into place. That is no excuse to throw in the towel and just wait, but it gives some hope.

Feel good to be sore? I love to be sore from using new muscles!

Liz R
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:42 pm

@Jim Lentz wrote:The humidity here this morning was pretty bad too. It was in the 70s and cloundy, but boy did I sweat. When you are in Chicago some of the parks have dance nights during the summer. They spend a little time teaching the type of dancing for the night and then let you dance after that. Peggy and I keep planning to do it, but haven't made it yet.

Nice. I'll have to check those out. I figure it may be a good way to meet people.

@Natalie wrote:I think the less you weigh, the harder it is to lose, so I totally hear you there. I don't want to get down to the 1-teens, but still, I get it. Once you get yourself back on a real-world schedule, you will probably lose Kathy. Of course, I wouldn't wait for that. If you've been drinking more alcohol lately, that will hinder your progress.

You're right on about the alcohol, Natalie. There's been a lot of celebrating and events involving alcohol that I've done recently. But, that's all over, and I'm now back to my regular habit of about 1 or 2 drinks per month.

@Liz R wrote:I agree with Natalie: the closer you are to your goal weight, the tougher it is to get there. I also agree that once you settle in to a regular schedule, everything will fall into place. That is no excuse to throw in the towel and just wait, but it gives some hope.

Feel good to be sore? I love to be sore from using new muscles!

Liz, I love the sore feeling after a hard run, especially when you're relaxing with friends. You feel like you've accomplished something.

Interesting points about it being harder to lose when you're not that far away from your goal weight. I'd heard that before but forgot about it. I think cutting out the alcohol and the regular coke will help, as will increasing my mileage. When I was training for marathons and at much higher mileage before, I was losing weight easily and actually having to work at maintaining a healthy weight. Longer runs would suppress my appetite for hours at a time. I used to go to starbucks and get hot chocolates for extra calories. Funny how things have changed. The only other thing I can think of that may be contributing, besides the large factors of my eating habits and lack of exercise, is that I'm on birth control because otherwise I get debilitating cramps and stomach ulcers from all the advil I have to take for them. I started Yaz during residency, when I was already gaining, so I have no idea if that had any effect or not.

I'm thinking I may bike to work or walk to work, depending on the weather and what I feel like, so that will also burn some calories. I'm also still planning to look at weight watchers, but haven't gotten a chance to sit down and learn about it yet.

Running came to a standstill for a few days due to the moving process. My last run was the one outside in Atlanta. Then I spent 2 entire days packing, which was a little stressful. It required several trips up and down the stairs (my apartment was on the 3rd floor), and by the time I finally left my apartment, my legs and arms were pretty sore. I spent half a day cleaning/ scrubbing, making multiple trips to goodwill, and doing some last-minute Atlanta-specific errands, then left Atlanta and drove for 8 hours. I got home yesterday afternoon to Pittsburgh and slept for hours, and did not run afterwards.

Today I did 30 minutes outside in my parent's neighborhood in Pittsburgh. It's 89 degrees and the dewpoint was 74. Whatever the numbers are, it definitely is SO much nicer here than down there. It's much, much less humid, which makes running outside possible for me. I can breathe since the air isn't so wet and thick. There is also much more of a breeze up here. My neighborhood has a bunch of trees, so the shade helped a lot as well. Overall, the weather was unpleasantly hot for running, but not unbearable/intolerable. Not sure how far I went and not sure I care at this point. Just getting out there is my goal for now.

Non-running: So far the move has gone okay, but not great. There was a snafu about the schedule. When I called to book the moving company, I wanted to truck to come the 18th. They said okay, see you then. Last week I called to confirm and the secretary said I'm all set for the 19th. Upon further discussion, she said they have a 'policy' of a 48-hour window from the date you book for the truck to be loaded. Interestingly, no one mentioned that when I booked it, and quite frankly I think she made it up on the spot as a CYA. I was NOT happy, but didn't want to tick off my moving company. I asked if there was any way it could be moved to the 18th, and she said not possible, I'm scheduled for the 19th. Since that was a week ago, I took my time packing and was about 85% done on the 18th, and at 9 a.m. the moving truck guy calls saying he's here to load the truck. On the 18th. Even though the secretary said I was scheduled for the 19th. There was about 10 minutes of me panicking and them seeing if they could re-schedule me for the 19th, and they could. They came on the 19th, and it went smoothly. But I was pretty annoyed with the company, and left a message about what happened. They did not return my call. I think the whole thing was completely unacceptable.

The moving truck isn't getting to Chicago until Monday. I didn't want to stay in Atlanta without my things, and I didn't want to go to Chicago without any furniture and not knowing anyone. I'd be sitting around. So I opted to go home to Pittsburgh for the in-between. This way, I can see my parents, my brother, and grandfather, and take home some things, and also visit with a few friends in the area. And have my Dad check out my car, and get a few runs in with my parents.
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Search for Chicago SummerDance for more information.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Have a good time with your parents! Sorry about all the moving company stress....

I know several women who had wt gain while on hormonal birth control. I never could tolerate it so I quit after 4 weeks because it made me horribly depressed so I have no idea if it would have ended up affecting my wt. But it could happen.

Do both of your parents run? My mom has terrible knees from when she was pretty young so she walks and my dad has slowly run 3 half marathons with me after having a heart attack.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:48 pm

@Julie wrote:Have a good time with your parents! Sorry about all the moving company stress....

I know several women who had wt gain while on hormonal birth control. I never could tolerate it so I quit after 4 weeks because it made me horribly depressed so I have no idea if it would have ended up affecting my wt. But it could happen.

Do both of your parents run? My mom has terrible knees from when she was pretty young so she walks and my dad has slowly run 3 half marathons with me after having a heart attack.

Both my parents run. I grew up thinking that going for a run every Saturday and Sunday morning together was what everyone's parents did. It's great to be able to run with them when I'm home.
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm in Chicago now and totally loving it. I love that my building is awesome, my view is awesome, my neighborhood is awesome, that I can walk all over the place and not have to drive hardly at all. Best of all I love the weather. In the 5 days I've been here, the weather has been about a hundred times better than the weather in Atlanta in the summer. It's pleasant to go outside, I can run outside and be able to breathe because it's not too humid, and there's a really nice breeze. My apartment is on the 36th floor, and I get a great breeze up there. I've only had to run the air conditioning about half the time, and the rest I open the windows/screen door and let the breeze cool it down. I'm totally happy here--just need to make some friends here!

Running: The last run I think I posted was 30 minutes outside in Pittsburgh in my parents' hilly neighborhood. That was on July 21. I ran 3 miles with my parents on July 22 and again on July 23. The 24th was a rest day and the day I drove from Pittsburgh to Chicago. My runs outside in Pittsburgh went okay, not amazing, but it was hot, and hilly. I'm still out of shape.

My Dad drove to Chicago also to help me set things up in my new apartment. So we've been running together while we're here, except for today, which is a rest day for me. (He runs every day.) Monday we did a little over 4 miles along the lake. Tuesday we did 3.5 along the lake. Yesterday we did 4, also along the lake. I keep getting a side stitch in the same place that persists throughout the runs. Other than that, the runs have been going very well. I'm still out of shape but getting slowly better.

Non-running: My Dad has been really helpful. He also got here Sunday night and is probably going to go home tomorrow afternoon. He's been putting together furniture, hanging up my artwork, and installing the things that dads do--hooks, towel racks, closet organizers, etc. It has been a ton of work and every night when I get in bed I about pass out, but we're having fun. In the evenings we walk around and explore the neighborhoods and get dinner. We went to Gino's East, which is about the best deep-dish pizza I've ever had. Last night we went to Rocco Ranalli's, which we really liked, because we sat outside underneath the trees, and it was really good food. Not sure where we're going tonight. It's so fun seeing what's around me. There's a Fleet-Feet about 3 blocks from me, which will be nice when it's time for new shoes. The streets around here have so many trees. This is nothing like Atlanta. I love it here.
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Welcome to Chicago! Glad to hear everything is going smoothly.

If you're looking for group runs, there's something going on at Fleet Feet just about every night. Monday night is the main tempo run night.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Yep welcome to Chi-Town, hope you are enjoying it and getting settled in.

As to the Fleet Feet runs I also believe that Niketown also has a couple of group runs during the week. They meet at NikeTown on Michigan Ave.

Hope to see you out on the path one of these days!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:28 am

Glad you seem to be settling well. That is awesome both of your parents run and set that example for you. I am hoping my little girl grows up loving being active since she sees my husband bike every day to work and me run most days.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:51 pm

@Dave-O wrote:Welcome to Chicago! Glad to hear everything is going smoothly.

If you're looking for group runs, there's something going on at Fleet Feet just about every night. Monday night is the main tempo run night.

Nice. Thanks for the info. I'm in no shape for tempo runs yet, but I'm definitely planning to check out the running groups with them. I'd like to be in a little bit better shape before I run with a group, but may as well start where I'm at and see how it goes.

@Schuey wrote:Yep welcome to Chi-Town, hope you are enjoying it and getting settled in.

As to the Fleet Feet runs I also believe that Niketown also has a couple of group runs during the week. They meet at NikeTown on Michigan Ave.

Hope to see you out on the path one of these days!

You prob wouldn't recognize me on the trail. I wear black sunglasses and my hair is straight now, I'm much slower, and I'm 20 lbs heavier than I was at Bayshore Wink I'm going to check out the Niketown group runs as well. It'll be a good way to meet people, too.

@Julie wrote:Glad you seem to be settling well. That is awesome both of your parents run and set that example for you. I am hoping my little girl grows up loving being active since she sees my husband bike every day to work and me run most days.

I'm sure she will since she has 2 parents both setting good examples. I think having fit parents makes me more motivated to get back into shape. My dad has been kicking my butts on these runs. He usually adds a couple miles on after I'm done with my run.

Just got my cable/internet set up, so it's nice to be able to sit on my balcony with my laptop and type. I'm ready right now to run, but waiting for my Garmin to charge first. Maybe I'm just not observant enough, but I've only seen a few mile markers out there. There's one on the bridge at North Beach that's 12.5/5.5, and I think I've seen the 6 and 6.5 ones, but that's all I remember seeing. Yesterday, my Dad ran alone because I needed a rest day, and followed the path to Navy Pier. Where does it go? He couldn't find it, but I know it doesn't stop right there. The other day we were both there, and I didn't see it either. So that's something I have to check out.

I'm thinking about teaching myself to roller blade. I know how to ice skate so I figure it's the same motions. But, I don't have health insurance until Monday....and I don't want to risk learning until I can go to an emergency room if I break my arm or something. I'm actually pretty coordinated and learn very quickly, and almost never fall when I water ski, snow ski, and ice skate, unless I'm trying something I shouldn't be. But I can't expect myself to not fall at all when learning to rollerblade, so I'll wait til Monday. I'm thinking I may try renting some and see how I like it before I buy them. Might be fun to rollerblade to work, but we'll see.

Okay, GPS is charged enough, so time for my run.
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Welcome to Chicago and the home of the greatest pizza! You still have a lot of great pizza places to try.

Regarding Navy Pier, as you head south you can stop there for water and the bathroom. As you exit you follow the sidewalk sount and it curves until it is going west. Take that a short whie until you see blacktop and a sidewalk running parallel and follow the blacktop. You will quickly come to a road where you turn left and continue heading south on the path. If you are up for it, it goes all the way to the 63rd St. beach house.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top