365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Returning to Running

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Penelope on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:40 pm

@Jim Lentz wrote:Welcome to Chicago and the home of the greatest pizza! You still have a lot of great pizza places to try.



Regarding Navy Pier, as you head south you can stop there for water and the bathroom. As you exit you follow the sidewalk sount and it curves until it is going west. Take that a short whie until you see blacktop and a sidewalk running parallel and follow the blacktop. You will quickly come to a road where you turn left and continue heading south on the path. If you are up for it, it goes all the way to the 63rd St. beach house.



Thanks, Jim--that's really helpful. Especially when my runs start to get longer.



Today I did 4 miles. The side stitch came again but this time instead of being with me throughout the entire run, it left me. Not sure when, but sometime in the 2nd half I realized it was gone. So at least there's been progress with that. I felt okay until about 3.5 miles and then started to get tired but made it to 4 miles. Pace is still quite slow but I may start adding in a little speedwork soon to try to improve that.



I may try swimming along the channels near the Oak and Ohio street beaches. The water looks shallow enough to stand up in. As long as I don't swallow it, it looks clean enough.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3314
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 pm

There is a relatively short part of the path near Navy Pier that is on the sidewalk next to the street, but there are plans to rebuild that soon. Enjoy the path.

Nice job on extending the runs and good to hear the side stitch is less of an issue.


Last edited by Jim Lentz on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4445
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Jim Lentz on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 pm

I paid more attention today as I ran past Navy Pier. There is a little boat tour rental place and you turn right as you pass it heading south.
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4445
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm

@Penelope wrote:.



I'm thinking about teaching myself to roller blade. I know how to ice skate so I figure it's the same motions. But, I don't have health insurance until Monday....and I don't want to risk learning until I can go to an emergency room if I break my arm or something.

Good decision waiting until the health insurance kicks in!
Congratulations on the move and starting to get settled in. It looks like you're also starting to catch back up on your training.
Hope everything continues to go well.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3598
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Penelope on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:28 pm

@Jim Lentz wrote:I paid more attention today as I ran past Navy Pier. There is a little boat tour rental place and you turn right as you pass it heading south.

Awesome. I'll look out for that when I'm down there next time. Thanks!

@Seth Harrison wrote:
@Penelope wrote:.


I'm thinking about teaching myself to roller blade. I know how to ice skate so I figure it's the same motions. But, I don't have health insurance until Monday....and I don't want to risk learning until I can go to an emergency room if I break my arm or something.

Good decision waiting until the health insurance kicks in!
Congratulations on the move and starting to get settled in. It looks like you're also starting to catch back up on your training.
Hope everything continues to go well.


Thanks, Seth. Things are going well and I am starting to feel more like a runner again. Slow but steady.




7/30 2.5 miles. I did some speedwork on the treadmill in the gym in my building. The brand of treadmill is Matrix, and whatever model it is, I’m not a huge fan of it. I prefer the PreCor that they had in my old building and at LA Fitness. The Matrix feels fine, but I don’t like its computer system / display / setup. Oh well. I did 2.5 miles total, including a half mile warmup and and quarter mile cooldown. (I always walk about 90 seconds after each run to cool down anyway.) Then I did quarter mile repeats at 6.0 mph, with quarter mile recovery at 5.2 mph. I’m a little ashamed of those paces—10:00 miles used to be my recovery /easy run pace, and now it’s my speedwork pace. But, I am where I am, and will continue to work hard and move forward.

7/31 Rest day. Had brunch with a guy I knew from residency who also now lives in Chicago. We went to Bongo Room and had amazing dessert—we split red velvet pancakes with some sort of sweet sauce on them, and some sort of sweet French toast. We waited about 45 minutes to eat there and it was worth every minute of the wait.

8/1 4.5 miles. First day of work!!!! Yay! Actually it’s just orientation /logistical stuff right now, but I really need to meet some people here and work is a good way to do it. I ran 4.5 miles tonight. It was a bit sticky out but otherwise pretty pleasant. For anyone who lives in Chicago and cares, I started at the intersection of LaSalle + N Clark (I live at Eugenie Terrace, which is right there) and ran south on LaSalle for 2 miles, which took me to Randolph; I turned right and went back up Wells. I like Wells when it gets to Old Town. I really liked running downtown, seeing what’s around and trying to learn the street names, but I got stuck at a lot of redlights. When I got to Eugenie street and Wells, I ran an extra quarter mile past it and back so my run would total 4.5 miles. I felt really good today and strong on my run, and I felt like I was moving, but my pace wasn’t any faster.

Non-running: I’m doing a lot of walking because driving is not practical here and it’s nice out. And I really enjoy walking around the city instead of being stuck in a car frustrated by traffic. Today I walked a total of 3 miles, from home to Macy’s on the Magnificent Mile and home again. (In between I went shopping.) I discovered that State Street is a pretty residential street near me, before it turns into a business section. There are so many beautiful buildings and gardens and trees on the sidewalk. Parts of the city don’t feel like the city at all. I saw 2 bunnies hopping around in a small garden on my way there, and on the way home, I saw a small one nibbling some grass. (It was a different garden and definitely a different bunny.) Seeing 3 bunnies in one day made me happy. Anyway, I love it here. But, my feet are starting to get sore from so much walking. I probably ought to be wearing something more substantial on my feet than flip flops if I want to both run and walk everywhere.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3314
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Peg Coover on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:10 am

Happy post! Love it! Very Happy
avatar
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Posts : 669
Points : 3164
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Nebraska

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Liz R on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:20 am

@Peg Coover wrote:Happy post! Love it! Very Happy

+1!

I lived in Chicago for a few years when I was young and single and can remember just the feelings you describe. I think I even lived near where you are---I was in an older building, a former residential hotel, across from Eugenie Terrace, on Lincoln Park West. You could hear the lions in the zoo roar in the morning.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Posts : 205
Points : 2648
Join date : 2011-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Hey there! I read in your blog at one time you were thinking of joining Weight Watchers. Are you still planning on it? Are you thinking of doing the meetings or Weight Watchers Online? I read that if you do the meetings you get lifetime membership once you hit maintenance...but, you have to pay weekly for the weigh-ins/meetings and are encouraged to enroll in e-tools (which costs money). Right now you can get 3 months for $54.00 (they waive the sign up fee).

Hope all is well and let me know what you're thinking of doing.
avatar
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1122
Points : 3848
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : Knocking the turtle on it's back!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:49 pm

@Liz R wrote:You could hear the lions in the zoo roar in the morning.

Seriously, how cool is that?!?! That would be so neat!
avatar
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1122
Points : 3848
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : Knocking the turtle on it's back!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Dave-O on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:52 pm

@Penelope wrote:

7/31 Rest day. Had brunch with a guy I knew from residency who also now lives in Chicago. We went to Bongo Room and had amazing dessert—we split red velvet pancakes with some sort of sweet sauce on them, and some sort of sweet French toast. We waited about 45 minutes to eat there and it was worth every minute of the wait.




This is hilarious. You've lived in Chicago for a week and have eaten at the Bongo Room; I've literally lived less than a mile from the Bongo Room in Wicker Park for almost 6 years now and still havent's gotten in. Everytime I try to go I get impatient and go elsewhere. The wait is always too long....especially when I'm hungover and dying for brunch.
avatar
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 4548
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  JohnP on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm really glad to see things are going well in Chicago! Summer is a great time here and actually so is the fall and spring, it's the winter to watch out for but you are a northeast girl so it won't be anything you are not used to. The red lights are a problem, definitely. Nice going Kathy!
avatar
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1225
Points : 4322
Join date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Penelope on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:14 pm

@Peg Coover wrote:Happy post! Love it! Very Happy

Thanks Peg! I'm happy here, so the happy posts just flow.

@Liz R wrote:
@Peg Coover wrote:Happy post! Love it! Very Happy

+1!

I lived in Chicago for a few years when I was young and single and can remember just the feelings you describe. I think I even lived near where you are---I was in an older building, a former residential hotel, across from Eugenie Terrace, on Lincoln Park West. You could hear the lions in the zoo roar in the morning.



Nice! I live at the southwest corner, near the zoo, but not close enough to hear the lions. That's cool! Do you remember the address? I'll look for it.

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:Hey there! I read in your blog at one time you were thinking of joining Weight Watchers. Are you still planning on it? Are you thinking of doing the meetings or Weight Watchers Online? I read that if you do the meetings you get lifetime membership once you hit maintenance...but, you have to pay weekly for the weigh-ins/meetings and are encouraged to enroll in e-tools (which costs money). Right now you can get 3 months for $54.00 (they waive the sign up fee).

Hope all is well and let me know what you're thinking of doing.

Hey Lisa--not sure about weight watchers. Right now I'm studying for a gi-normous board certification exam and haven't even looked into WW yet. I'm thinking after I'm done with that, I'll look at the website. I was thinking I'd just do the web-based one and not the meetings. But I also want to see how it goes as I increase my distance. In the past, when I've done longer runs my appetite gets suppressed. So if that happens again, the weight may just come off. I'll let you know in about 2 or 3 weeks, though.

@Dave-O wrote:
@Penelope wrote:

7/31 Rest day. Had brunch with a guy I knew from residency who also now lives in Chicago. We went to Bongo Room and had amazing dessert—we split red velvet pancakes with some sort of sweet sauce on them, and some sort of sweet French toast. We waited about 45 minutes to eat there and it was worth every minute of the wait.

This is hilarious. You've lived in Chicago for a week and have eaten at the Bongo Room; I've literally lived less than a mile from the Bongo Room in Wicker Park for almost 6 years now and still havent's gotten in. Everytime I try to go I get impatient and go elsewhere. The wait is always too long....especially when I'm hungover and dying for brunch.


We went to the Wicker Park one. Cool area. You totally need to go, if you like dessert-type food for brunch. We split 2 different dessert-y type things, and they were freaking amazing. We also each got regular food, too. I had an omelette / toast / home fries that I couldn't finish. It was fine, but it's hard to make toast and omelettes unique and great--to me, they pretty much taste the same no matter where you go. So, if you're just getting regular food, I'm not sure it's worth waiting for it. But for dessert, Hell Yes.


@JohnP wrote:I'm really glad to see things are going well in Chicago! Summer is a great time here and actually so is the fall and spring, it's the winter to watch out for but you are a northeast girl so it won't be anything you are not used to. The red lights are a problem, definitely. Nice going Kathy!



Thanks John. Maybe I'll save the downtown running for fartlek type of stuff. I just bought a long down winter coat today, so hopefully that'll keep me warm in the winter!



8.2.11 2.5 miles. I wanted to do a slow recovery run but didn't make it out before it got dark and started thundering / lightning. So I went to the gym on the roof and ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill. It was the same treadmill I did my speedwork on on Saturday. 5.2 mph and I didn't feel good. Right around 2 miles I felt really awful. I wasn't sure I could finish another mile. I felt weak and just weird, and as if I might fall over / fall off the treadmill. Around 2.4 miles I was wondering if I could physically finish or if something was going to happen before I reached 3 miles. At 2.5 miles the treadmill automatically slowed down for cooldown. I guess I reached the pre-set time limit--I need to learn how to override that. I didn't fight it. When it slowed down significantly, I called it a day. Afterwards, I felt weird in a bad way. I can't describe it, but something felt very wrong. I couldn't see clearly and felt really heavy but at the same time like I didn't have complete control / feeling in my arms and legs. I got back to my apartment and forced down some chocolate milk, but was too exhausted to eat or even shower. I got into bed all sweaty and disgusting and the next thing I knew it was the morning. Maybe I hadn't eaten enough calories? No clue what that was about.



8.3.11 4 miles, 40:02. Based on yesterday's horrendous run, I thought I would make today my rest day instead of Thursday. But after work today, I did a little boards exam studying and felt like I needed to run. I felt totally normal today; yesterday's weird episode hadn't returned. So I did 4 miles on the lakefront heading north. At about 0.75 miles, an ambulance was out on the path with its lights flashing. I guess in the 34 days I've had off and haven't practiced any medicine, I realize I miss it, because I got all excited. Maybe I'd get to do CPR! I love taking care of the critically ill people. I stopped and explained my title and asked if they needed help, but they didn't. They were taking the patient to my hospital. I guess from the adrenaline rush, my first mile was 9:38. Hmm. But the next was 9:59, missed the 3rd, and the 4th was 10:03 I think.

Those paces are a lot more like it for me, and what I'm used to running prior to residency / wt gain. Since I started running in July, my pace has been a disappointing 11:15-11:30/mile. I don't know how I jumped from 11:15-30 to 10:00 in the course of a few days, though.



But something weird is going on with technology for me. First of all, my electronic scale said I weighed 130.0 yesterday morning. This morning, it said I weigh 126.5. Every time I get on it, I do it 3 times to see if it's really accurate, and I got the same readings every time on both days. I've been trying to eat 2 meals and a snack instead of 3 meals and snacks whenever I want, but I did not lose 3.5 lbs in 1 day. Secondly, on Monday when I ran downtown, I really felt like I was going faster than what my actual pace was. I ran 4.5 miles in 50 minutes but I felt very good /strong and I felt like I was moving faster than that. I wondered if the GPS was affected by the buildings and a little off, but assumed it's just that my perceived exertion is way off. Today, when I ran with the GPS, I thought maybe it was off again when I saw my paces, but I start right at the North Beach bridge where the 5.5/12.5 mile marker is, and the mile markers corresponded to the GPS miles, so it wasn't off. I really did run 10:00/mile average pace, even though I haven't been able to do that in more than a year. Third, I ran on the same treadmill both times, and am wondering if the speed is not calibrated properly? 6.0 mph was a speedwork pace for me on the treadmill on Saturday, and 3 days later I can do 4 miles outside at that pace?? Doesn't make sense. Yesterday I could barely do 5.2 mph on it, and today I can run 10:00/miles x 4 miles continuously? I don't get it.



Non-running: From a purely monetary standpoint, I'm glad I chose the hospital I'm working at. We got our benefits packages, and excuse my language, but Holy Shit! The retirement package is awesome--way more generous than I ever imagined. I don't need to put any of my own money into my 403b. They put quite a generous percentage of what your annual salary is into your 403b automatically each year--not a match, just pure free money. Now that I'm done with training and have a real job, it's a very nice amount of 403b money each year. Sweet! I thought the days of that type of generosity were long gone, with the economy the way it is. Whatever, though. Makes my financial planning a little easier.

On another note, I was crossing the street on campus today, and right in the intersection where I was, 2 cars both turning right at the same time smacked into each other. They hit each other on their side sides. It was a low-speed crash, but tires squealed and the sound of it was pretty loud, because I was about 15 feet away. I was startled and froze in the crosswalk, and someone walking right behind me ran smack into me. It looked like one driver was trying to turn right from the straight-only lane and hit the other who was already making the turn. The one that was not at fault opened her smashed door and yelled at the one who hit her. The whole thing was strange, and I'm glad I wasn't any closer than I was.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3314
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:25 pm

@Penelope wrote:

On another note, I was crossing the street on campus today, and right in the intersection where I was, 2 cars both turning right at the same time smacked into each other. They hit each other on their side sides. It was a low-speed crash, but tires squealed and the sound of it was pretty loud, because I was about 15 feet away. I was startled and froze in the crosswalk, and someone walking right behind me ran smack into me. It looked like one driver was trying to turn right from the straight-only lane and hit the other who was already making the turn. The one that was not at fault opened her smashed door and yelled at the one who hit her. The whole thing was strange, and I'm glad I wasn't any closer than I was.

I'm also glad you weren't closer, and that you didn't have to be called on to render your professional skills!
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3598
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Liz R on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Hmm. weakness? Then a strange uptick in strength? An ability to change electromagnetic fields? Sounds like an alien abduction to me.

Naw, seriously, do you get migraines? Your weakness sounds like a pre pre migraine.

I lived at 2000 Lincoln Park West. Is my building still there? That was at least twenty years ago.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Posts : 205
Points : 2648
Join date : 2011-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Penelope on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:50 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:
@Penelope wrote:
On another note, I was crossing the street on campus today, and right in the intersection where I was, 2 cars both turning right at the same time smacked into each other. They hit each other on their side sides. It was a low-speed crash, but tires squealed and the sound of it was pretty loud, because I was about 15 feet away. I was startled and froze in the crosswalk, and someone walking right behind me ran smack into me. It looked like one driver was trying to turn right from the straight-only lane and hit the other who was already making the turn. The one that was not at fault opened her smashed door and yelled at the one who hit her. The whole thing was strange, and I'm glad I wasn't any closer than I was.
I'm also glad you weren't closer, and that you didn't have to be called on to render your professional skills!

For real. I guess I'm lucky I was far enough away.
@Liz R wrote:Hmm. weakness? Then a strange uptick in strength? An ability to change electromagnetic fields? Sounds like an alien abduction to me.
Naw, seriously, do you get migraines? Your weakness sounds like a pre pre migraine.
I lived at 2000 Lincoln Park West. Is my building still there? That was at least twenty years ago.
I do get migraines occasionally, and maybe that's what that was. As far as the faster speed, I think maybe from running in the evening when it's cooler, because since then I'm back to being slower. Your building is still there. I live about a block south of where you did. Great area!

8/4/11 0 miles. Rest day. A friend from residency came into town last night for Lollapalooza. We went to dinner at Avec. I barely recognized anything on the menu, but it was really, really good. Definitely recommend it.

Fri 8/5 3 miles, 31 minutes. I was planning to do 4.5, but overslept and more or less ran out of time before a work meeting, so only did 3. My splits were 10:12, 10:09, and 10:39, which I think reflected the heat. I really ought to stop running in the middle of the afternoon. Felt okay. That evening, we went to Lollapalooza. It was difficult for me to not see Cold Play, who I love, but my friend had given me a free 3-day pass, and wanted to see Muse. I only know one Muse song, but they put on a good show, and I'm glad I went.

Sat 8/6 0 miles. This was an unintended rest day. I've been really anal about not increasing my miles too much because I know I'm prone to shin splints and my hip will act up. But, I haven't been giving walking the proper respect that I guess it deserves. On Thursday I walked about a mile, Friday about 3 miles, and just in regular sandals or flip flops, not in good shoes. Friday night my left knee felt achy, kind of like the feeling when it's time for new shoes. My right knee keeps popping / catching and hurt all over, particularly in my IT band. In retrospect, the first time I developed IT band syndrome was before I had surgery on my hip, during a time when I couldn't run but did a lot of walking. Anyway, I decided to make it a rest day. The next day, I ran by the swim channels at the beaches and kicked myself for not thinking of swimming instead. Oh well. At Lollapalooza, I saw Pretty Reckless, who I didn't really like much, Lykke Li, who I'd never heard of but liked, and then Eminem. Eminem was awesome.

Sun 8/7 4.5 miles, 50 minutes. Another hot one; I went around lunch time and by the time I was done, I was tired. I stopped for water every 1.5 miles. It wasn't a bad run, but it wasn't great. I started a little more south than usual and made it past Navy Pier, and figured out that the path goes under Lake Shore drive along a bridge. I happened to wear pink to run in, and there was some sort of breast cancer walk/run going on, so I fit right in. That evening, my friend and I didn't feel like going to Lollapalooza, so he came over and we ordered fried chicken from Crisp. Great decision--it was really awesome fried chicken, and it rained and thundered on and off all evening. We'd have gotten drenched if we'd have gone. My legs were sore from running, walking, and then standing for hours at the concert.

Mon 8/8 4 miles, 46 minutes. Today was cooler, but I still seemed to struggle with this run. I'd meant to only do 3.5 miles, nice and slow, kind of like a recovery run, although I'm not recovering from much. I did a loop where I ran to work through the city, and then got on the lake path at the Ohio Street beach, ran to the Oak Street beach, and got off and went back through the city. It turned out to be 4 miles instead of 3.5. This was another mid-afternoon one and I sweated like crazy and just didn't feel great. I didn't feel too guilty when I stopped to take a picture of a mother duck and 6 ducklings bobbing in the waves right next to the path. I hate these slower runs, and I remind myself that it's hot and humid outside, and my job is just to put in the miles and work on getting back in shape, and the speed will come later.

Non-running: I've lost 3.5 lbs. Yay. Hopefully the weight will continue to come off; right now I'm sort of plateaued. I think running in the evening would work better for me, because usually when I come home, I'm too tired to eat and fall asleep early.

I'm behind on blogs because I'm studying my butt off for my board exam. Every few years or so, there's an expensive exam to pass that takes all day or is two days. This one is a one-dayer and $1400, so you don't want to have to take it again. It'll be great to be done with it.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3314
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Peg Coover on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Good running K., and congrats on the weight loss!

Wow, $1400 is a lot!!! You are right--you don't want to have to take that one again!
avatar
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Posts : 669
Points : 3164
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Nebraska

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Penelope on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Tues Aug 9 0 miles. Spent the day studying for my boards and flying home to Pittsburgh.



Wed 8/10/11 5 miles, untimed. Between studying hours a day, I ran my favorite 5 mile loop around the lake with my parents. Felt pretty good. Every now and then I get this sidestich on my right side. It used to persist, and now it seems to come and make its appearance for a few minutes and then disappear again.



Thurs 8/11 0 miles. Started feeling feverish and yucky Wednesday evening and felt worse today. But the main reason I didn't run was because I was cramming studying for my board exam, tomorrow.



Fri 8/12 0 miles. The fever persisted. After my test, which was all day, I came home and took a nap. Loaded up on tylenol and went to Kennywood, which is an amusement park in Pittsburgh, with my family. It was fun. I felt wiped out.



Sat 8/13, 3 miles, untimed. My fever and aches and crappy feeling went away, but I still felt tired. It was humid but not hot. My parents' neighborhood has a bunch of hills, and there's this awful one, very long and steep, that I always struggle with when I don't run consistently. It got me again and I had to walk about halfway up it. Since I've moved to Chicago I haven't run on any hills. I think if I had, I'd have been able to conquer it.



Sun 8/14, 5 miles untimed, with my dad. Same lake. Felt harder than it should have been, and I guess whatever viral thing I had, the lack of sleep, and the decreased running this week, all added up. The lake has some rolling hills, though, and I made it up them without having to walk, which was an improvement from yesterday's run. I got stung or bit by something on my arm though. I ran under a tree and a black insect flew into my arm, and I felt a painful stinging. It's this big red welt and a few days later, it's itching. And annoying.



Mon 8/15 0 miles. First day of work at my first real job. Things went smoothly. I left my apartment at 6:30 a.m. and got home a little after 9 pm. I missed the day shift doorman in my apartment completely. I wonder if they wonder about peoples' work hours. I got home exhausted and went to asleep early. Or went to bed early, I should say, but ended up thinking about my patients and didn't fall asleep for awhile. I didn't sleep well last night.



Tues 8/16 3 miles, 29:46. Back to running in Chicago. Went North along the lake. It was an uneventful run, but nice to be running 10:00 miles again. I can't wait til I'm completely in shape and back to my old paces.



Today was a shorter day at work. People tell me that 12 hours +/- an hour each day is typical, and some days are a little longer than that. So, when I'm on clinical service, I think my plan will be to run 3 or 4 times per week depending on how late I'm at work each day. If I have any shorter work days, I can do a longer run, but otherwise I'll probably just do 3 to 3.5 miles each time to maintain. On my non-clinical weeks where I can do what I want, when I want, I can build miles. Maybe I can focus on speedwork on my clinical weeks since the runs will be shorter and I have less time.



I forget when I last wrote about the weight loss goals, but I've lost 4.5 lbs total. I have a feeling it'll come off pretty easily when I'm on my clinical weeks. Both today and yesterday, I only ate 2 small meals all day, because I was so caught up in my work, and had to remind myself to go eat. If that trend continues, and I keep running, I don't think I'll need to join weight watchers. While I'm at work, I'd rather get my things done instead of taking time to go eat, especially if I'm not hungry. Even now, I finished running awhile ago and am still not hungry. Often when I run in the evenings, I don't feel hungry for hours afterward, and even when I am hungry, sometimes I'm too tired to eat and just skip it and go to bed instead.



I'm still behind on blogs, which isn't fun, and hopefully I'll be able to catch up later this week.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3314
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Schuey on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Glad to read that you are running and enjoying Chicago! Lalapalloza was right in front of our place. Lisa and I live at Dearborn and Harrison. Maybe one of these days we can get together for dinner or a couple of drinks and catch-up.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5522
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Penelope on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 pm

@Schuey wrote:Glad to read that you are running and enjoying Chicago! Lalapalloza was right in front of our place. Lisa and I live at Dearborn and Harrison. Maybe one of these days we can get together for dinner or a couple of drinks and catch-up.



Would love to catch up! PM me and we can figure out when. I don't know hardly anyone here other than my co-workers, so I'm pretty much always up for anything social.





Today I ran 3 miles easy in 33 minutes and change. I was thinking I'd do a speed workout today since I'm aching to get faster soon. But I'm exhausted from work, and haven't gotten my sleep schedule adjusted to being there at 7 a.m. every day yet. I had a feeling that a speedworkout wouldn't go well based on how I dragged through my day, and based on my run tonight, it was the right decision. I felt okay, just tired. I explored a new area of town, I think called Near North. I'll have to look at a map of the neighborhood. I love running by the lake, but I also really like exploring Chicago on runs.



Non-running: work is going really well. I've been there for 4 days and I really enjoy it. I like my coworkers, the nurses / staff, my patients, and am generally having a good time. Being an attending is about a million times better than being a resident. I'm pretty happy here in Chicago.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3314
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Peg Coover on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Good to hear about all your running--you must have a little free time today as you are catching up!!! I hear you about being exhausted. I can't fathom speed work right now--too many miles but if Matt M is correct, that will help me!

Friday!
avatar
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Posts : 669
Points : 3164
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Nebraska

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Great job on the 4.5 pounds - that is no small deal cheers. I am so glad for you that the new job is looking good - the first few days are pretty important and after such hard work that is great that the work environment is positive. Bummer about being sick, but the running will take care of itself I would guess after everything sort of normalizes... Keep up the good work - after a lay off from running for a while, a 5 mile run is a shock to the system I would imagine! Hope the side-stitch things get better - I've noticed you get those every now and then. Any idea as to why?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4320
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  JohnP on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Good to see you running as you are able to but mainly enjoying the city and job. I remember how it was for you as a resident and it just seems so much better. Those are long days you work but I guess that's the stereotype of a doctor so it makes sense. BTW, I live in Palatine which is a northwest suburb near Woodfield/Schaumburg.
avatar
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1225
Points : 4322
Join date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Julie on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Glad Chicago is going well and you like your new position! I know you've worked very hard to get there.

I'm glad also to see that you're running more. Congrats on the wt loss but please be careful to eat enough. 2 small meals/day doesn't really sound that sustaining and I would hate to see you get exhausted from work combined with undereating and just get overall unhealthy. I say that in a nice way, please know because I did that all the time in undergrad and my piano teacher (I was a piano major undergrad) would tell me that I needed to sleep and eat more and it was really ridiculous looking back but I was extremely focused on practicing piano about 30-40 hrs a week on top of my full time class load. All that to say, long term it was no good for my health and I eventually balanced out a bit.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2611
Points : 6389
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Jim Lentz on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Nice job on the running and the weight loss.
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4445
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Penelope on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:08 pm

@Peg Coover wrote:Good to hear about all your running--you must have a little free time today as you are catching up!!! I hear you about being exhausted. I can't fathom speed work right now--too many miles but if Matt M is correct, that will help me!

Friday!
Yep, I got home from work around 5:30 on Thursday, and it was great to have a shorter workday and catch up.
@John Kilpatrick wrote:Great job on the 4.5 pounds - that is no small deal cheers. I am so glad for you that the new job is looking good - the first few days are pretty important and after such hard work that is great that the work environment is positive. Bummer about being sick, but the running will take care of itself I would guess after everything sort of normalizes... Keep up the good work - after a lay off from running for a while, a 5 mile run is a shock to the system I would imagine! Hope the side-stitch things get better - I've noticed you get those every now and then. Any idea as to why?
Not sure about the sidestitches. I tend to get them when I start running after taking awhile off, and if there's a sudden change in the temperature; ie if it's warm weather when I run usually, and I run on a cold morning one day, I'll get one. I know they're from diaphragm irritation, but as to why they happen, I don't really know. The more often I run, the less I get them, so hopefully it's a passing phase.
@JohnP wrote:Good to see you running as you are able to but mainly enjoying the city and job. I remember how it was for you as a resident and it just seems so much better. Those are long days you work but I guess that's the stereotype of a doctor so it makes sense. BTW, I live in Palatine which is a northwest suburb near Woodfield/Schaumburg.
They are long days, but my work schedule is unlike most other professions. My weeks run Mon-Sun, and I will work really hard for 7 days doing patient care, and then I'll have 7 days in a row off. To do whatever I want. Which. Is. Awesome. Granted, most people do productive things with that time, like teaching or research, and I plan to as well. But to have my own schedule starting this Monday is looking pretty darn sweet to me. I'll have to look at a map of the area. I'm still learning the neighborhoods of Chicago and the suburbs.
@Julie wrote:Glad Chicago is going well and you like your new position! I know you've worked very hard to get there.
I'm glad also to see that you're running more. Congrats on the wt loss but please be careful to eat enough. 2 small meals/day doesn't really sound that sustaining and I would hate to see you get exhausted from work combined with undereating and just get overall unhealthy. I say that in a nice way, please know because I did that all the time in undergrad and my piano teacher (I was a piano major undergrad) would tell me that I needed to sleep and eat more and it was really ridiculous looking back but I was extremely focused on practicing piano about 30-40 hrs a week on top of my full time class load. All that to say, long term it was no good for my health and I eventually balanced out a bit.
I know what you mean, and I'm back up 1.5 lbs again. I may have misspoke, I'm trying to eat 2 regular meals not small per say. And then snacks. But, after I see my patients in their rooms at work, most of my day is spent at a computer typing my notes and orders and making phone calls. And I've developed a bad case of the munchies. So I've put some back on already. But you're right, I definitely need to make sure I'm eating enough, because I too have become run-down from poor nutrition.
That's awesome that you were a piano major in college. I used to be a serious flutist, but it sort of fell by the wayside in residency. But I love the sound of the piano. I bought a good keyboard in residency to teach myself, but then gave it to a patient in need. I'm thinking about buying another one because I've always wanted to take piano lessons, and now I have the time for it.
@Jim Lentz wrote:Nice job on the running and the weight loss.
Thanks Jim!


Today's run was just 3 miles in 30:25. I'm so utterly exhausted. I got home from work around 1:30 today, and watched a bit of the air and water show from my balcony. At one point, 4 orange planes flew literally right next to my building. It was cool. Man, they're loud though. I tried to take a nap, but the planes at the beach across the street were loud, and my pager kept going off for minor things, so I didn't get any real sleep. When I'm on service at work, I can't run til 7 unless I take my pager with me, so I waited til 7. I felt fine, just tired. No sidestiches today at least.


Non-running: I went to dinner last night with a friend of a friend here in Chicago. Went to a place called ING, which is a trendy / upscale place where the menu is almost unintelligible. We did a 2 hour menu sample plan, which turned out to be expensive, but fun. The food was elegantly displayed, but so fancy, some of it wasn't recognizable, and the waiter had to tell us what each dish was. Some of it was amazingly good, and some of it was...not. I learned that I do not like the consistency of oysters. Ick. Oh well. It was great to get out and spend time with her---I'd met her a few times in the past. My new friend is a runner, and she goes about my pace, and is interested in doing some runs together. Woo-hoo! A running partner! Rock on! I'm psyched.

I'm planning to take my first day off and dedicating it to furniture shopping. There's a bunch of cute furniture stores I've seen around. I have this huge dining room with laminate floors and no dining room table, which looks sort of asinine right now. I need a rug for it, too, and I've seen some I like. I guess I'll have to get a rug delivered, though, because the size I need is too big for my car and impossible for me to lift.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3314
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning to Running

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum