365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking toward the fall

+12
Alex Kubacki
Mrs. Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Julie
Peg Coover
Natalie
Kenny B.
Schuey
jon c
16 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Looking toward the fall - Page 6 Empty Re: Looking toward the fall

Post  Julie Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:55 am

rehab from a brain injury can be a very long road...doesn't take more than a second for an accident to happen and then so long to rehab.

Nice work on the doubles, especially in the humidity and heat. It looks like things will cool off. I'm looking forward to it.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:30 am

Good news with the neighbor, but what a cruddy deal - helmets!

I didn't realize that you all got hit with more heat - those are some really tough runs in some really tough weather. Good job on getting them done. My comfort limit is usually only about 6 miles in the brutal heat - I admire your 8 miler in it the other day. Be careful on your midnight run! I know for me it is always a little eerie running on a rural road with no traffic, no lights, no houses, etc. Everything is so quiet.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Man, I had no idea Nebraska got nailed with the kind of heat you guys have had this summer. I guess I just sort of assumed it was more like a Minnesota type climate most of the time. Nice job getting the workouts in in spite of it.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Julie wrote:rehab from a brain injury can be a very long road...doesn't take more than a second for an accident to happen and then so long to rehab.

Nice work on the doubles, especially in the humidity and heat. It looks like things will cool off. I'm looking forward to it.
Yes, the weather is finally going to be decent. It made a huge difference in my runs yesterday.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Good news with the neighbor, but what a cruddy deal - helmets!

I didn't realize that you all got hit with more heat - those are some really tough runs in some really tough weather. Good job on getting them done. My comfort limit is usually only about 6 miles in the brutal heat - I admire your 8 miler in it the other day. Be careful on your midnight run! I know for me it is always a little eerie running on a rural road with no traffic, no lights, no houses, etc. Everything is so quiet.
John, even Friday the heat index was just shy of 100. It's been a different year here as the heat and humidity have persisted much more so than previous years.

mul21 wrote:Man, I had no idea Nebraska got nailed with the kind of heat you guys have had this summer. I guess I just sort of assumed it was more like a Minnesota type climate most of the time. Nice job getting the workouts in in spite of it.
Minnesota typically has more rainfall but is a bit cooler than here. Some summers here can be rough. Other summers are pretty decent.

I think that we left off on Friday. It was supposed to start cooling off Friday but the rain and the front stayed north. It made for another run where it was pretty tough to finish off the 9 miler.

But what a difference on Sat. AM. Waited until some rain showers were mostly passed and then went out on a 12 miler. Made 11 before I had to quit to get ready to go to the football game. This run seemed almost effortless in comparison to fighting the heat and humidity. It was in the 60s and a north wind blew in about halfway through the run which felt very cooling.

Sat. evening after getting home from the game, I relaxed and watched more football and then waited it out for my attempt at late night running. The purpose was twofold. First to run on tired legs after the morning run. And two to similate as much as possible an after midnight run with the eating, drinking fluids and wearing my headlamp. The reason for this is that the Heartland 50 race in October will start at 6 pm and be run primarily in the dark as a result. And if I finish in 9 hours which is my secondary goal (behind actually finishing the race) it will be 3 am before I am done. Luckily I somehow convinced my running friend that he should go with me. That really did help and I sure appreciated his helping me out. We took off into the night right at midnight and ran six miles out and back on the gravel into the open country. Legs felt surprisingly strong and mostly fresh, albeit still tired. Noticed the tiredness the last three or four miles. Our pace was close to a minute faster than my morning run. The weather was actually ideal around 55 with clear skies and a light north wind. Got back home around 2 am, showered up and sat up for about a half hour until the extreme tiredness finally kicked in. Took awhile to fall asleep and started waking up at my usual 6 or so. Dozed on and off until 7:30 and finally got up. I do have a bit more soreness than usual this morning but I did end up covering 24 miles for the day/night double. Am planning on a recovery run here shortly in the sun with clear skies, 70 and much lower dew points which will persist into tomorrow.

Running at night was an interesting experience in that most of your visual effect is lost except for stars and some of the peripheral farm lights and the distant lights of town. A bird called out during the run a couple times, but we did not spot any other wildlife ie skunks, possums, raccoons, mountain lions etc which was fine by me. I also seemed to lose track of time as I did not look at my watch but tried to listen to my body and keep running where I could carry on a conversation and not be winded. The headlamp keeps you from falling into a hole but there is still the possibility of turning an ankle which does concern me for the Heartland 50 as the roads and terrain are a bit more primitive and the size of the rocks are larger than here. All in all it was a worthwhile experiment. Was surprised that I did not feel sleepy like I had thought I might. I dozed off around 7pm for about five minutes but otherwise my day was normal.

So this has given me a little more confidence about the experience to come in five weeks.

Edited to add that my seven mile recovery run today was not much fun. Very sluggish, somewhat sore and low energy for the first two miles. By mile 4 things had gotten more back to normal. I am hoping to have another decent mileage day tomorrow to take advantage of the day off work.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Got a couple more runs in to complete the holiday weekend high mileage week for me. 6.25 this AM in the cool air which has been such a welcome change. Still have some residual soreness and sluggishness from the Saturday double. This late afternoons 9 by contrast wasn't as bad. It was sunny today with little wind, really an ideal day.

So I finished my high water mark ever training wise with a 90 mile week in which 81 was the previous high two years ago. I started Tuesday this week and ended today due to taking advantage of the holiday to run more. So between that and my midnight run which went surprisingly well, I have succeeded in two of my training goals for the upcoming 50 miler which is in less than five weeks now. My plan is to decrease mileage in the next several weeks so as to get to the starting line uninjured if at all possible.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:40 pm

Wow on the high mileage and also I didn't realize your 50 miler is less than 5 weeks away! Coming right up, really. Everything looks to be going really well. Enjoy the next few days' weather!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Well I knew that 90 miles was a stretch but it was a calculated risk. On Tuesday afternoon after a run of six, I developed a sore throat and it simply cascaded from there. I was able to work at least, but it developed into a sinus cold and a bit of a cough so my running was limited this week. I managed to run 31 for the week including 11 yesterday and 9 today. Not concerned about my conditioning, but do want to get healed up and get my energy level back up to where it should be. Good news is there are still four weeks to go.

Next week I hope to get back up into the 50s or 60s so we'll see how the week progresses. I'll probably do a little more night running although not as late as last weekend.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:25 am

Nice running Jon on that day/night run. Heal well and drink plenty of fluids obviously.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:59 am

Sorry to hear you had to get sick. Rest up and get all recovered and hopefully no other germ finds you before the race.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:06 am

I didn't get sick, but definitely had a severe drop in energy levels after my 80 mile week. It's all about recovering enough and it sounds like you took the right approach. Hope you're feeling back to normal and this week goes well.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Just checking in. How many weeks until your 50 miler?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 am

mul21 wrote:I didn't get sick, but definitely had a severe drop in energy levels after my 80 mile week. It's all about recovering enough and it sounds like you took the right approach. Hope you're feeling back to normal and this week goes well.

Things have been better this week, but I'm still getting rid of the sinus cough thing.

Julie wrote:Just checking in. How many weeks until your 50 miler?
The Heartland 50 (and 100) is on October 8 so three weeks out.

This week has gone OK so far. Tuesday I ran six to get some the cobwebs out so to speak. Then Wednesday 9 and Thursday 8. Did the eight on a treadmill indoors due to some rain yesterday afternoon. That was my first indoor workout in about two months. Still on track to go over 50 for the week at least. It has been cool and rainy the last couple days which is a big change. Fall is well on its way and it even got fairly close to a frost the other morning. Sounds like it will slowly warm up over the weekend.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 am

The rest of the week went fairly well. Friday did a 10 and then 13 on Sat. AM before heading to the game. Sunday ran a 9.2 over lunch and then 5 in the evening practicing with the headlamp again. So ended up the week with 60 and will probably get another 50 plus week in next week. The sinus issue is still trying to hang on but it slowly gets better. This week was cooler and a bit damp a few days so I had a lot of nose drainage during some of those runs.

It's been interesting reading about some of your races and tapering. No matter what the outcome is on race day, it's always about the process and how we manage to get to the starting line. I would have to say it's been inspiring to me to read a lot of your blogs and to know that a lot of you know how it feels and the ups and downs of training. It has been helpful to me so I wanted you all to know that.

It's been particularly inspiring to see those of you in my age group or close to it that keep perservering in distance training, running and races. Thanks for the encouragement!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:27 am

3 weeks out? I hope everything goes great and you stay injury free and enjoy the taper (as much as one can enjoy such a thing). Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:59 am

jon c wrote:

It's been interesting reading about some of your races and tapering. No matter what the outcome is on race day, it's always about the process and how we manage to get to the starting line. I would have to say it's been inspiring to me to read a lot of your blogs and to know that a lot of you know how it feels and the ups and downs of training. It has been helpful to me so I wanted you all to know that.

It's been particularly inspiring to see those of you in my age group or close to it that keep perservering in distance training, running and races. Thanks for the encouragement!

Well said Jon. I also find it inspiring and encouraging to read about everyone's else's journey, particularly when it comes to dealing with the inevitable pitfalls and turns in the road when it comes to training over a long period of time. It's great to see how we all get through our injuries, struggles, etc. and end up making it to the starting line.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 pm

I wanted to echo Seth and also let you know that your journey is an inspiration as well! Can't believe how quickly time has flown by, from the beginning of 365runners to now when lots of folks are getting ready for races! It is hard to believe you are on the last leg prior to your Kansas race - I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought of someone traveling 50 miles on foot at one time!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:40 am

Jon I think you nailed it. Everybody in here is an inspiration and I hope you and everybody else nails it on their day.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:31 am

The rest of the week came in pretty well, ended with 8 Friday, 7.2 Saturday and 13 on Sunday. Next week will come in around 40 if all goes well. Then it's race week. Weather here has been near perfect, light winds, sunny and temps in the 60s in the afternoon and high 30s and 40s at night. Hope it holds out for the next couple weeks.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:45 pm

2 weeks till the 50 miler! Wow! I do hope the weather holds. It seems like fall has settled in.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:58 pm

You're coming into form Jon. You're ready to nail the race.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks Alex and Julie! I have appreciated all of your support during this cycle of training.

The weather here has been very pleasant this week, warm and dry during the day and cool at night. Ran six easy miles both Tuesday and Wednesday. I've been beginning to make some final preparations for the race in ten days or so now.

One interesting thing of note was an email I received yesterday from a friend of mine who is a storm chaser. He was all excited that a dynamic storm system has been hinted on by computer model for mid to late week next week. He says if it holds up it will potentially create conditions condusive to severe weather during that time period. The likely locations for this to occur if the models hold would be the Texas panhandle, Oklahoma and yes... southern Kansas with the time period being Wednesday the 5th through Saturday the 8th. Timing is still out a ways, but it could end up affecting race day (night) possibly. Something else to think about I guess. It's supposed to be quite warm early to midweek next week and I would also imagine if the system passes before the race that it might be significantly cooler and most likely windy. But it's all speculation at this point.

Something about running at night in the middle of an open prairie with very few areas for shelter with an approaching line of severe storms is quite intriguing.... staying low to the ground comes to mind.bounce
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Good to hear things are turning around with the cold and running. What kind of headlamp do you use?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 am

Jim Lentz wrote:Good to hear things are turning around with the cold and running. What kind of headlamp do you use?

Jim, it is a Petzl but not sure of the model. I'll check on that later today.

So, the last week of training went well. Even the final three runs felt pretty strong. I can tell that I'm not running heavy mileage (for me) at this point. Have to say that I am thankful that I have got through this training without a major hiccup. Did not emphasize any speed at all mostly due to the race being a 50 miler and having the few faster workouts be tempered by the heat and humidity of August and early September.

Have no idea of how this race will go due to it being at night. It will start at 6pm so there will be light for about 90 minutes or so. At this point I expect that it will probably be a mild night temperature wise (60s) with a bit of humidity possibly and perhaps breezy with a chance of rain at some point during the night. There is uncertainty yet as to when the storm system will make its full effect on the region. It does sound like the better chances of rain will be north of where the race is but that remains to be seen as we are still several days out.

I feel like I am about as ready for the race as I can be. A lot of how it turns will be how I respond when I hit the 30 plus mile region and fatigue begins to set in. Since it is night and the roads are gravel and with some areas of primitive roads with rocky outcroppings I am going to have to hope that I don't turn an ankle or fall which is a distinct possibility. Certainly a trail race would be more problematic for that type of thing so I can't complain.

I am going to meet up with a running buddy from Dallas who has signed up for the 100 miler. It will be his first attempt at the century as he has completed a 50 miler and a 100K race previously this year. We will drive down on Friday late afternoon.

Thanks everyone for all your support through this process! It has been appreciated very much!Cool
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:38 am

Have a great 50, Jon! I have a Brunton L1 (1W LED) headlight. It has 3 brigthness settings and a flash mode. It has been great for running at night and uses 2 AA batteries. That is great that you will have someone to meet up with on the way to the race. Will you two run together at all?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Things are looking good Jon. Have a great race.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next