365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking toward the fall

+12
Alex Kubacki
Mrs. Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Julie
Peg Coover
Natalie
Kenny B.
Schuey
jon c
16 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Looking toward the fall - Page 7 Empty Re: Looking toward the fall

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:57 am

Hey Jon wanted to stop in a wish you all the best on the 50 miler! Just stay relaxed and have as much fun as possible while running 50 miles!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:52 am

have a great time! I hope everything goes great!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 am

Jim Lentz wrote:Have a great 50, Jon! I have a Brunton L1 (1W LED) headlight. It has 3 brigthness settings and a flash mode. It has been great for running at night and uses 2 AA batteries. That is great that you will have someone to meet up with on the way to the race. Will you two run together at all?

Looked on my headlamp and couldn't really find anything of note model wise. It does have two brightness settings and a flash mode also. It uses three AA's. Jeff and I will meet at our hotel most likely Friday night. We aren't riding together, sorry for how I wrote that earlier. haha Thanks for the encouragement Jim!

Alex Kubacki wrote:Things are looking good Jon. Have a great race.
Thanks Alex, I have appreciated your encouragement as well in this process.
Schuey wrote:Hey Jon wanted to stop in a wish you all the best on the 50 miler! Just stay relaxed and have as much fun as possible while running 50 miles!

Thanks Schuey! I plan on staying relaxed come what may. Hope things go well for you also.

Julie wrote:have a great time! I hope everything goes great!

Thanks Julie! You have been a great encourager of us all!

We will take off for Kansas tomorrow after Hannah gets out of school. Should have plenty of time to sleep as the race starts at 6pm on Saturday. Hope to be able to listen to the NU-Ohio State game while carrying my satellite radio.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am

I am looking forward to your report! Run well!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 am

Good luck and have a great time, Jon. I like how you feel you are as ready as you can be, it should go great.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:58 am

Just wondering how it's going. I did pray for you last night, too. Hope you are staying safe and running strong!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks so much Julie! I finished the race as you may have seen on the Heartland 50 thread. Only had a few near ankle turns and did not come close to falling. The gravel and rock is pretty unforgiving on a persons feet but only had minimal blisters. I'm not really any more sore than if I had run a marathon with effort.

I will write up a report with a couple pics and get caught up on all the other races for this past weekend here in the coming days.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 am

Hey Jon glad to hear that you finished the 50 miler and look forward to reading your report. Congrats to you Jon for getting it done this year.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:11 am

Congrats on finishing! That is great! I look forward to your report.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:12 am

Congratulations Jon. Hope you're recovering well. Can't wait to read your report.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:00 am

Congrats on the finish Jon. That's an awesome accomplishment.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks Schuey, Seth, Julie, Alex et al. Race report is now posted.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:29 am

Well I think it's time to wrap this blog up.

To review:

Weekly mileage ended up: 34/41/54/61/70/56/60/64/90/31/60/51/41/61.

The only blip was the week of 31 which was due to fighting off a bug that came on. Otherwise it went fairly smoothly. Legs were tired most of the last eight weeks which was the purpose. I did very little speed or even tempo work, in part due to the 50 mile distance and to a degree due to the heat and humidity that this summer brought to our region. In retrospect, I wish I would have been able to do a little more hill work and would have liked to do more tempo but it seemed to work out overall. I wanted to finish more than anything else.

The final result for the 50 miler has been posted. Kirby (the guy I walked and ran with the last 15 miles) and I tied for 9th out of 36 finishers with a time of 10:22:10. A nine hour finish time which was my original goal would have been good for 5th. I am happy with the result but I also know that there is plenty of room for improvement. It is interesting to note that this week of recovery has actually been easier leg wise than if I had raced a marathon. The doubles and higher mileage weeks have really seemed to pay off in that regard. I went out yesterday and went for an easy three with absolutely no issues except afterward I seemed more tired than usual but not to a great degree.

As for future plans, the only thing I have committed firmly to is the Las Vegas Marathon on December 4. This will be my 7th consecutive LVM. I am undecided on whether I will race it or help a pace group as I have the last two years. Potentially I am looking at Cowtown 50K again in February and am signed up for Boston again as well but have not made my travel plans as of yet. As of now, I am interested in running another 50 but am undecided as of yet on the specifics.

Thanks to all of you that have read this blog. I have appreciated all of your encouragement and support along the way.cheers
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7